ADVERTISEMENT

Politi; The Clock is Ticking on Chris Ash. Article

Ash saying things could take 5 or 6 years could be forgiven if recruiting was showing that the talent level in the program would improve by then.

Instead, our recruiting looks like things are only getting worse. Nothing about it shows we will have a competitive OL and DL three years from now.
I know he was left with a sh*t show but 5 or 6 years to rebuild? That just seems long to me. RU has been playing major college football for how long now? The facilities are there. It’s not like he’s starting from scratch.

GS was handed much worse situation and got RU into the Top 10 in six years. Just sayin’

Didn’t see/hear the quote directly from the horse’s mouth, but sounds like excuses to me. Maybe we should drop to 1-aa for a few years while he turns it around, then start playing big boy football again. Pay him a 1-AA salary, too.
(Kidding, of course)

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Lots of times I disagree, but understand how a reasonable person could think otherwise, but on no level does a person with an ounce of sense bind the university to an unproven coach for so long. You can tell Hobbs never practiced law, simple "Law 101" tells you this is a bad idea. Truly it was rushed amateur hour during the hiring process. It really does call into question his judgment. And common sense.

I think it all speaks to Barchi and his exaggerated paranoia about athletics. Hobbs was given a longer leash with basketball and I believe he made the right hire. But with football, it was never about winning. It was never about Flood sucking in recruiting or on the field, much to our chagrine. The only reason that whole "onetimepost" situation ever was set off, was the stupid NCAA investigation. We wrongly thought that it was about building a program, but it was Barchi running scared. Hobbs was told to bring in a guy like Ash. A quiet, ho-hum, boring dude who would dull down everything about the program. It was never about winning. That's why this nonsense clause was built in. It was in haste and an overreaction. Now we are stuck here and will see what happens. I'm willing to give Hobbs the chance to hire HIS coach. He says Ash is HIS guy but I suspect he's Barchis guy moreso. The fantastic irony, is that Ash isn't even that clean. We have had issues and scandals under him too

I know he was left with a sh*t show but 5 or 6 years to rebuild? That just seems long to me. RU has been playing major college football for how long now? The facilities are there. It’s not like he’s starting from scratch.

GS was handed much worse situation and got RU into the Top 10 in six years. Just sayin’

Didn’t see/hear the quote directly from the horse’s mouth, but sounds like excuses to me. Maybe we should drop to 1-aa for a few years while he turns it around, then start playing big boy football again. Pay him a 1-AA salary, too.
(Kidding, of course)

Five years is long but at least giving him 5 years would show the NEXT guy that you are willing to give someone a fair chance. That can help land someone who has been a head coach and already turned around a program in the MW, MAC, etc.

Five years is long but at least giving him 5 years would show the NEXT guy that you are willing to give someone a fair chance. That can help land someone who has been a head coach and already turned around a program in the MW, MAC, etc.
I get that logic, if it was coming from Hobbs, behind closed doors. But a HC telling the press after a couple of blow outs...ehhh maybe this going to take longer than we thought, we have to rebuild more... just comes off soft.

Forgive me if I’m misrepresenting his quote, wasn’t able to find the source. Please correct me if I’m off base here.

I get that logic, if it was coming from Hobbs, behind closed doors. But a HC telling the press after a couple of blow outs...ehhh maybe this going to take longer than we thought, we have to rebuild more... just comes off soft.

Forgive me if I’m misrepresenting his quote, wasn’t able to find the source. Please correct me if I’m off base here.

Nothing a head coach says after this kind of loss is going to sound correct. If you are upbeat, the fans will say you in denial. If you take total responsibility, the fans say then you should step down. If you say it will take more time, the fans will say "we have been rebuilding for over X seasons already!".

The only hope is that this is the low point of the season, and that there will also be some positive surprises over the next nine games.

Reactions: thegock
Ash did inherit a mess but his hiring of former friends and buddies has been a huge error in judgement. His original OC and the current DC are just friends that are not up to the task.
I wish coaches would look more often outside their coaching bubbles but it's a natural and frankly sensible instinct to want to bring in people you worked with and trust from your past. I think we all have it.

BUT I think you also have to be honest with yourself and make honest assessments to make sure the people you're about to bring on are up to the task. If not then look elsewhere.

You bring in people you know but you can't be limited by it like say Fleck in Minnesota who almost exclusively has Schiano/RU guys on his staff. That's all he knows so I get it. I prefer a coach with a plethora of connections and good influences as they "grew up" in the profession.

From the AD's perspective that would have been one of my top priority questions. Who is the coordinator on the opposite side of the ball of your candidate's expertise. A DM answer would have disqualified Ash for me even though his resume in general may have been worthy of an opportunity.

If you notice when I bring up guys like Grinch etc..I'm looking at all their past stops and the coaches they worked under as they grew up in the profession with the hope that it would lead to good influences and connections in filling up a staff, specifically coordinator on the opposite side of the ball.

Look at Moorhead who was my fave this past year, I had a feeling he might hire Bob Shoop due to the PSU connection and he did. I don't even think they coached together at PSU but there may have been a connection there through Franklin. Solid DC at PSU, not so much at Tenn but decent hire. Kind of wonder if it's not similar in how we ended up with McNulty this go around through the OSU/Schiano connection and maybe some suggestions passed along.

5 years is fine...if you want 15k in the stands

Never thought we would get here..I thought Ash had potential...and so damn fast to boot....but

He's gotta go...I know the $'s don't work...but losing another big chunk of fanbase doesn't work either...and that will happen

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Hindsight is 20/20 but I said back when Ash was first hired that RU was making a mistake. Sure Ash's history included assistant positions at top tier programs like tOSU and Wisconsin where he had the luxury of working with four and five star kids but initially recruiting this caliber of player to come to RU would be highly problematic because he had never been a successful HC and RU lacked a winning tradition. What RU needed at the time was a HC who had implemented innovated schemes with a history of winning with two and tree star talent. And the hire did not necessarily have to from the P5 level. Coaches like Joe Moorehead and App State's Scott Satterfeld immediately come to mind both which could have been gotten on the cheap. Even today, Satterfield only makes $750K and gives P5 programs fits when he plays them. IMO, Satterfield would be a good hire for RU if he could be pried away from State.

Like I said hindsight is 20/20 and any hire is a crap shoot but Hobbs has himself between a rock and a hard place and I would not want to be in his shoes deciding how long he continues with Ash. Ash is here for this year and likely next but absent measurable progress on the field and more importantly with fund raising, there could be another buyout on the horizon. Would Hobbs admit he might have made a mistake? Time will tell.

(Kidding, of course)
I don’t buy the 6 year thing either. My point was, even if one did, they should see signs by now and instead recruiting looks like we will be worse if anything over the next 2-3 years.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Look, everyone is getting away from the point. CFB is about recruiting. When you’re fighting MAC schools for talent you’ve already lost the battle.

Chris Ash seems like a good guy. However, to be successful here you can’t be a good, midwestern guy. You need someone brash and exciting who will fire up this fan base and alumni and recruits. This isn’t Michigan or OSU with a humongous built in fan and alumni donor base. I can’t see Chris Ash going into a recruit’s home and firing anybody up. I can’t see Chris Ash firing up alumni to open their check books. I can’t see Chris Ash going to the administration and firing them up to invest in the facilities beyond the bare minimum for the B1G.

His first year here told me he had no business being our head coach. This job is no regular job and Ash was not qualified to take it. Huge mess up by Hobbs setting us back at least 5 years. Why is no one upset that he hired a man with no previous track record of success as a head coach?? Ash lost 78-0 at home on national tv during the recruiting event of the year. That has never been done before and established RU as a joke of a B1G program and Ash as a very poor head coach.

Reactions: BlockR
Was lukewarm but supportive of Ash. Liked we were moving to spread.

I hated Flood and never felt he was qualified for the job. I was willing to give whoever got job after him the benefit simply getting rid of a incompetent fraud in flood.

Ash tested my faith but I’m done.

What is Ash excelled at here? What is his vision.

I’d take GS back but we need someone who has won as a HC at a low 1-A or 1-AA.

With GS we had an identity.

(Kidding, of course)
you should have listened to his presser today if you want excuses

Was lukewarm but supportive of Ash. Liked we were moving to spread.

I hated Flood and never felt he was qualified for the job. I was willing to give whoever got job after him the benefit simply getting rid of a incompetent fraud in flood.

Ash tested my faith but I’m done.

What is Ash excelled at here? What is his vision.

I’d take GS back but we need someone who has won as a HC at a low 1-A or 1-AA.

With GS we had an identity.
App St staff would be good look if this route

App St staff would be good look if this route

I believe Satterfield played QB at App State. A native North Carolinian, he may not be so easily separated from his alma mater and home state. That said, the UNC job will likely open up late this year.

He has never been anyplace and made a real impact on a football team. He rode some coattails and now took us for a few mil.

Ash was selling a line that RU was some piece of crap program with a absolutely no recent success in order to set expectations low. I was right .this is the perfect example of him doing just that.

He doesn't know anything about Rutgers or NJ and he has no charisma, vision, or tactical prowess. Get rid of him .

I took out a couple of your comments but I have felt this all along. All the way back to the OSU bowl game and NFL draft participation with OSU. He gave Rutgers ZERO respect.

I cannot think of 1 single place where he has added value to Rutgers Football in the 2.5 years he has been here. Nothing. Zilch . In fact it may be worse since he can't get/keep his players on the field or out of jail either.

The whole Drew M. fiasco and changing the offensive set...cost us some potential solid QBs.. He doesn't even HAVE a plan. We are yet again STUCK with a crap sandwich. But hey, the uniforms are nicer.

I believe Satterfield played QB at App State. A native North Carolinian, he may not be so easily separated from his alma mater and home state. That said, the UNC job will likely open up late this year.
good point, I do like him however as every year his teams look prepared, knock off a big dog and he coaches up!

I took out a couple of your comments but I have felt this all along. All the way back to the OSU bowl game and NFL draft participation with OSU. He gave Rutgers ZERO respect.

I cannot think of 1 single place where he has added value to Rutgers Football in the 2.5 years he has been here. Nothing. Zilch . In fact it may be worse since he can't get/keep his players on the field or out of jail either.

The whole Drew M. fiasco and changing the offensive set...cost us some potential solid QBs.. He doesn't even HAVE a plan. We are yet again STUCK with a crap sandwich. But hey, the uniforms are nicer.
longer he stays, the more the damage

(Kidding, of course)

the roster he got is better than what he has now. Hicks and Martin, Turay and Hamilton, Dare, Retig, Laviano, and Gio (and some guy he brought in named Allen), and plenty of others.

Lets not forget the final 2 games of last season vs. Indiana and Mich State. The team seemed checked out and disinterested in both games. We were evenly matched with Indiana on paper. That is now 4 of the last 5 games have been blow outs.

Lets not forget the final 2 games of last season vs. Indiana and Mich State. The team seemed checked out and disinterested in both games. We were evenly matched with Indiana on paper. That is now 4 of the last 5 games have been blow outs.

Team is done with Ash. Recruits won't be coming and that's that.

Reactions: BlockR
the longer Hobbs allows this to spiral downwards,the bigger the hole the next head coach will have to climb out of,and NOBODY will want this job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT