ADVERTISEMENT

POLL--Would you like to see NEW JERSEY on the new uniforms ?

Would you like to see NEW JERSEY on the back of the new uniforms

• Yes,but only on the home uniforms

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • Yes,but only on the road uniforms

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • Yes,but only once a year

Votes: 16 4.4%
  • Yes,on both the home and away uniforms

Votes: 74 20.5%
  • No

Votes: 245 67.9%

• Total voters
I actually like the NJ on the away uniforms - a few years ago the Chicago Fire had kits with Chicago on the away and fire on the home (if memory serves)..

players should be forced to get a NJ tattoo on their necks

o.jpg
giphy.gif

Subtle & dignified symbol - OK
but absolutely NO obnoxious passive aggressive efforts at identity transformation - this is RUTGERS
Yes because nothing says NJ like subtle and tasteful. Kidding. Actually this would be fine. But not a big deal to me either way.

I don't want NJ on the jerseys at all. Aren't we celebrating our 250 anniversary of this University that started under King George? BTW, I'll be o.k. with NJ on the uniforms when the NJ legislature pays us the money they owe us (Budget cuts). My guess it is about 1 billion dollars.

Absolutely not. It reeks of "look at me!!"

Do you see Univ Buffalo's uniforms? it says NEW YORK in big letters. It looks ridiculous.I know it's part of SUNY but guess what it's Buffalo.

Our school is RUTGERS. Not NEW JERSEY
I actually liked Buffalo's uniforms from the NCAA tourney. Not advocating for New Jersey to be that big but I do think having something helps rep our state. Not going to stress over this one though.

To correct many in this thread, our name, by act of the New Jersey legislature, is "Rutgers, The State University".
The name of our state does not appear in the name.

shannon-620x350.jpg

- an odd move in the context of the marketing and positioning of the entire upper tier of the SUNY system

SUNY - Binghamton - has developed their identity to now be - - Binghamton University - State University of New York - http://www.binghamton.edu/
SUNY - Albany - has developed their identity to now be - - University at Albany - State University of New York - http://www.albany.edu/
SUNY - Stony Brook - has developed their identity to now be - - Stony Brook University - State University of New York - http://www.stonybrook.edu/

and even Buffalo has invested enormous time & money & energy to create their own "UB" identity (and run radio commercials)
SUNY Buffalo - - has developed their identity to now be - - University at Buffalo - State University of New York - http://www.buffalo.edu/

I find it ironic that posters complain about NJ recruits who leave the state 'reppin' NJ, yet these same posters don't want some wording/symbol indicative of the state on the Rutgers uniform or helmet.
Funny isn't it. Would love to see one of them try explaining the irony of that. I think it should be somewhere on the uniforms and in the stadium.

Would you like to see NEW JERSEY on the new uniforms ?
words-nauseous.gif.gif

Last edited:
Don't care where it's from bitch. You still chose it as something to attach to your posts.

Use your brain next time before you type...You thought you were being clever, but you just did not understand the situation..let's see your argument....License plates from..well, "anything" vs. uniforms that RUTGERS UNIVERSITY should exhibit...hmmm...You made a hell of an comparison there...lol
5528b3d4edc39e796a9da68ddcc6e5b3393b69a62a2219e98a027975ae1bfeb1.jpg

Some of you need to give up on the "New Jersey gets a bad rap" crap...and "Rutgers should pay homage to its State"....We are not The University of New Brunswick, The University of Piscataway, or The University of New Jersey...We are not the University of a region....We are RUTGERS UNIVERSITY, a university named after a person, plain and simple....Christ, the only thing the State of New Jersey has done to us in the past is try to f*ck us over....You want a silhouette of NJ on the back of the helmet to make you happy, then fine! But that should be it....NEW JERSEY should not appear written anywhere on our Jersey...just my opinion of course....lol

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Agree with the general sentiment here. Something discreet like a silhouette or just NJ would be good... doesn't need to be a bold statement in your face like the whole thing spelled out somewhere.

By the results of the poll, apparently we're not a proud bunch..
I'm only ever proud of things I've actually earned.

I confess I never understand why anybody would be proud of where they live geographically. Unless they had to work hard to get wherever that is, I suppose.

Sad little or no state pride. No wonder NJ kids leave the state.
If we want NJ kids to want to play for RU, then RU needs to earn that respect by producing a football team that is good enough that everybody in the region can be proud of it. Ohio kids don't go to OSU because they're proud that their GPS locates them somewhere in Ohio. They go because the OSU FB program has earned the pride of those in the state.

I'm only ever proud of things I've actually earned.

I confess I never understand why anybody would be proud of where they live geographically. Unless they had to work hard to get wherever that is, I suppose.
It's something inherent in a mans DNA...like the old South or a proud Texan or Marine...not everyone has pride..self or region..it comes from deep inside a man..II have it but most don't.It don't make a man better or worse but i'd prefer a proud football team than one that hangs their head...

Reactions: MikeRU09
Yeah let's be like Syracuse with the embarrassing "NY" on their helmet in case you forget Syracuse is in NY. And we already did the NJ identity thing with the NJ Rutgers helmets from the 80s and 90s.

I don't want NJ on the jerseys at all. Aren't we celebrating our 250 anniversary of this University that started under King George? BTW, I'll be o.k. with NJ on the uniforms when the NJ legislature pays us the money they owe us (Budget cuts). My guess it is about 1 billion dollars.
... and that school was shuttered for more than 25 years between the time that King George III signed that charter and 1825. Between 1766 and 1825, the school was closed more than half as long as it was open. Proud as I am of the Rutgers name, acting like Rutgers isn't New Jersey's state university simply because you think the state is not properly underwriting the school to some arbitrary amount you deem appropriate sounds bizarrely petulant and psychotic. Even short the billion dollars you're making up out of thin air, New Jersey still kicks in close to a billion dollars EACH YEAR to Rutgers. Quite simply, without the New Jersey state legislature, there is no Rutgers.

Speaking from the other coast, New Jersey is "missing" from Rutgers Athletics. You may think you're withholding the Rutgers brand from New Jersey until they do a better job of taxing and spending on higher education, but you're just flushing an opportunity down the toilet out of obstinate "pridefulness." New Jersey is bigger than Rutgers, and not taking advantage of that affinity opportunity is the very definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Use your brain next time before you type...You thought you were being clever, but you just did not understand the situation..let's see your argument....License plates from..well, "anything" vs. uniforms that RUTGERS UNIVERSITY should exhibit...hmmm...You made a hell of an comparison there...lol
Some of you need to give up on the "New Jersey gets a bad rap" crap...and "Rutgers should pay homage to its State"....We are not The University of New Brunswick, The University of Piscataway, or The University of New Jersey...We are not the University of a region....We are RUTGERS UNIVERSITY, a university named after a person, plain and simple....Christ, the only thing the State of New Jersey has done to us in the past is try to f*ck us over....You want a silhouette of NJ on the back of the helmet to make you happy, then fine! But that should be it....NEW JERSEY should not appear written anywhere on our Jersey...just my opinion of course....lol
Wow, do you not even know the name of the school from which you presumably graduated? Because the name isn't "Rutgers University."

... and that school was shuttered for more than 25 years between the time that King George III signed that charter and 1825. Between 1766 and 1825, the school was closed more than half as long as it was open. Proud as I am of the Rutgers name, acting like Rutgers isn't New Jersey's state university simply because you think the state is not properly underwriting the school to some arbitrary amount you deem appropriate sounds bizarrely petulant and psychotic. Even short the billion dollars you're making up out of thin air, New Jersey still kicks in close to a billion dollars EACH YEAR to Rutgers. Quite simply, without the New Jersey state legislature, there is no Rutgers.

Speaking from the other coast, New Jersey is "missing" from Rutgers Athletics. You may think you're withholding the Rutgers brand from New Jersey until they do a better job of taxing and spending on higher education, but you're just flushing an opportunity down the toilet out of obstinate "pridefulness." New Jersey is bigger than Rutgers, and not taking advantage of that affinity opportunity is the very definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Nonsense.

The NJ State legislature doesn't kick in a $1B.. the taxpayers do. And they get more than a billion in value, every year. New Jersey deiced to go the cheap route in establishing a state university. They made a deal with an established university and they had the ability at that time to insist on a name change. But "Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey" is the mouthful that came out of it. RUTGERS.

The shape of the state is an amorphous blob with zero design value.

The name "New Jersey" is not good enough for the Jets or Giants who have continually gotten support from the state.

SUNJ is unwieldy and has already been made a joke on ESPN.

The Block R brand is fine. No need to mess with it, weaken it with other branding. I'd rather see money spent on educating New Jersey residents about their state university and its value to them and their children than to spend it on designing a way to include "New Jersey" on uniforms and sports venues.

How about this.. New Jersey buy the stadium naming rights and there you go.. "Welcome to New Jersey Stadium"

Wow, do you not even know the name of the school from which you presumably graduated? Because the name isn't "Rutgers University."

You are entirely missing the point... When it comes to sports, I'm sorry, but Rutgers is bigger than NJ... NJ doesn't give a flying f'ck about Rutgers athletics...I'm sure they will now because the money train is about to roll in...typical NJ

And by the way, not one person I know says they graduated from "Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey..." We say "Rutgers" or "Rutgers University..." In the real world, the one that exists outside of the name on a diploma, no body gives a shit that Rutgers is in New Jersey.. And they shouldn't have to... We built a sports brand despite our state not giving a shit about athletics for decades..

Let me know the next time a Rutgers player says they are from "Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey" on Monday Night Football...stop being so goddamn literal to prove a point..

Let me say this, thank God we are where we are today because there are many times that NJ stood in our way...

Reactions: NickyNewark51

The school is named Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey

Our campuses are named:
Rutgers University - New Brunswick
Rutgers University - Newark
Rutgers University - Camden

Our campuses are not named:
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey - New Brunswick
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey - Newark
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey - Camden

- The "Scarlet Knights" are unique to Rutgers University - New Brunswick.
- Pat Hobbs is the Athletic Director of Rutgers University - New Brunswick; he is not the AD of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey.
- Chris Ash is the head football coach of Rutgers University - New Brunswick; he is not the head football coach of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey.

"Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey" does not have a single official athletic department, mascot, or even alma mater. It is an umbrella term that covers the three Rutgers University campuses.

Wholly apart from all of that, though, "Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey" and "Rutgers University" are used interchangeably in various published documents from the university. Much like "University at Buffalo" and "The State University of New York at Buffalo" are used interchangeably.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT