ADVERTISEMENT

Portal and NIL Mercenizes College Sports

Yes and the opinions stated in that concurrence have no legally binding force at this time. If someone sued and it went to the Supreme Court, it is true they would likely rule as Big Brett insinuates in his opinion.
Yes thats what I was saying
I wonder if any of the others are sports fans at all

There are intelligent and fair options to do portal and NIL, but as usual, the deep thinkers at the NCAA screwed it all up.
What do you mean by an intelligent and fair option for the portal? Considering the portal is just a database and a compliance tool.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
What do you mean by an intelligent and fair option for the portal? Considering the portal is just a database and a compliance tool.
Referencing the transfer rules. I’ve always been in favor of more flexibility, specifically when a coach leaves the player should be allowed to leave without penalty. But the Wild Wild West we have now is an uncontrolled mess. Also in favor of stipends for ALL players, but the NIL as currently configured is a blight.

Referencing the transfer rules. I’ve always been in favor of more flexibility, specifically when a coach leaves the player should be allowed to leave without penalty. But the Wild Wild West we have now is an uncontrolled mess. Also in favor of stipends for ALL players, but the NIL as currently configured is a blight.
IMO it’s not reported enough but players have been getting cost of living stipends and acadenic bonus$$ prior to NIL amounts vary by school. I think Rutgers stipend +academic bonus is around 20k
It seems like there should be a source to see those amounts for all schools but if there is I can’t find it

I think "transfer portal" is now used as a euphemism for the change in transfer rules where players can now transfer without sitting out. This was introduced in 2021, so more recent than when the portal as a tool was introduced in 2018.

NIL + the change in transfer rules is really what people are talking about when they talk about "NIL and the portal".

Ok, thanks.

You're talking about amending transfer rules. That's different from the transfer portal. Two different things.

I think "transfer portal" is now used as a euphemism for the change in transfer rules where players can now transfer without sitting out. This was introduced in 2021, so more recent than when the portal as a tool was introduced in 2018.

NIL + the change in transfer rules is really what people are talking about when they talk about "NIL and the portal".
People should stop doing that. An app/website (which is all the transfer portal is) ain't the problem.

The change in the NCAA transfer rules the problem. Granting immediate eligibility changed college sports

I find the irony very funny:

"NIL is bad! These athletes have no value. Without the school name nobody would know who they are."

But then "Players constantly leaving is bad! Can't generate any type of connection with the fanbase and the fans will lose interest!"

So do people only care about the team name and players are interchangeable or not?
Can't say players don't matter but then also say you lose interest when the players change.
Kind of odd. Roster turnover is a college sports reality. The new transfer policy has exaggerated it, but no one plays 10 years in college. Unless they're Ben Mauk. 😂

Last edited:
People should stop doing that. An app/website (which is all the transfer portal is) ain't the problem.

The change in the NCAA transfer rules the problem. Granting immediate eligibility changed college sports

100%. NIL will work itself out when donors get tired of ponying up millions for kids who don’t pan out or get a taste of money and dont put in the effort.

Unless there’s a coaching change, hardship or similar extenuating circumstance, the 1 year sit rule should still be enforced.

100%. NIL will work itself out when donors get tired of ponying up millions for kids who don’t pan out or get a taste of money and dont put in the effort.

Unless there’s a coaching change, hardship or similar extenuating circumstance, the 1 year sit rule should still be enforced.
What's the philosophy behind requiring players to sit out a year? What is the principle behind it?

Should all coaches have to sit out a year if they change jobs too, or just players? Does an assistant coach change get you a free transfer? What if teammates transfer? How about an AD or University President change where your sport gets lower priority? What if a coach lies to you?

Reactions: needmorecowbell
What's the philosophy behind requiring players to sit out a year? What is the principle behind it?

Should all coaches have to sit out a year if they change jobs too, or just players? Does an assistant coach change get you a free transfer? What if teammates transfer? How about an AD or University President change where your sport gets lower priority? What if a coach lies to you?

I think student athletes have some obligation to the schools they sign with. The school and the coaching staff make a significant investment in the players - there should be some obligation else we’re effectively allowing lesser D1 schools to become the minor leagues for the bigger ones.

No to assistant coaches. Yes to head coaches. Coaches do have contractual obligations that prevent them from leaving - buyouts, etc.

The rest is just silly and not really relevant to college sports.

I think student athletes have some obligation to the schools they sign with. The school and the coaching staff make a significant investment in the players - there should be some obligation else we’re effectively allowing lesser D1 schools to become the minor leagues for the bigger ones.

No to assistant coaches. Yes to head coaches. Coaches do have contractual obligations that prevent them from leaving - buyouts, etc.

The rest is just silly and not really relevant to college sports.
I don't think you're thinking of rules to apply to all sports in all NCAA schools.

I don't think you're thinking of rules to apply to all sports in all NCAA schools.

I’ll put the question back to you… how would coaches, say like a Steve Pikiell circa 2017, build a program of the reward for flipping over every stone to find under the radar talent and pouring your efforts into developing players - if they transfer out once that effort bears fruit.

I think a 1 year sit is perfectly reasonable for transfers within the power 5. Again… I’m very supportive of NIL, but there is an investment made by the schools, the fans and the coaches that also should be recognized.

I’ll put the question back to you… how would coaches, say like a Steve Pikiell circa 2017, build a program of the reward for flipping over every stone to find under the radar talent and pouring your efforts into developing players - if they transfer out once that effort bears fruit.

I think a 1 year sit is perfectly reasonable for transfers within the power 5. Again… I’m very supportive of NIL, but there is an investment made by the schools, the fans and the coaches that also should be recognized.
FWIW - I like the way things used to be better - with regards to transfers sitting out a year and no NIL
BUT - neither made sense other than in a "we have a monopoly and can do whatever we want" by the NCAA
regarding NIL - turns out that was illegal (duh)
if the sit-out-a-year rule after transferring had been challenged in court - it likely would have been ruled an anti-trust violation as well

Reactions: RUDiddy777
If you guys think basketball is bad, wrestling is taking the cake. All Americans from smaller schools are entering the transfer portal and being gobbled up by 6 to 8 schools. Michigan for the last two years is buying team trophies. They just bought 3 All Americans this year.

The sport is going to continue to decline as talent becomes more concentrated. Schools which can't compete will drop the sport and fan interest will begin to wane. Title IX almost completely destroy wrestling, but NIL is going to finish it off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Good-Knight
NIL and the transfer portal may--especially in the age of leapfrogging coaches--may be the fairest thing for the players. It is, though, beginning to change my perspective as a fan. In 1970, I was a freshman at RU, an uber-fan, and rarely missed a game at the Barn. With a few off periods in the pre-internet era, I have been that hardcore fan of all things Rutgers ever since. I don't have nearly as much interest in any pro team, in any sport. To root for a professional team is to root for an abstraction--a logo, team colors, name--but really grounded in nothing. Rooting for Rutgers has always been different. It's rooting for my school, the place I was shaped, loaded with pieces of my identity. Until recently, I was able to keep my perspective locked in by this connectedness, even if there was much going on beneath the surface as to who and what I was rooting for. For some combination of reasons--certainly not pure, not immaculate--players ("kids") chose to represent "my place, my school." Thus, Sean Axani, Rashod Kent, Jeff Grier, Myles Mack were "my guys." The fact that we are currently dealing with a meat market and an "I'm-getting-mine" mentality--overtly and in our faces every day--is nudging me in the direction of rooting for Rutgers less different from rooting for a professional franchise.

If you guys think basketball is bad, wrestling is taking the cake. All Americans from smaller schools are entering the transfer portal and being gobbled up by 6 to 8 schools. Michigan for the last two years is buying team trophies. They just bought 3 All Americans this year.

The sport is going to continue to decline as talent becomes more concentrated. Schools which can't compete will drop the sport and fan interest will begin to wane. Title IX didn't completely destroy wrestling, but NIL is going to finish it off.
Give it 20 years ... you're describing what is about to happen to entire college athletics departments. Schools will just drop scholarship athletics because they can't compete.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT