ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Prizes (Spring/Summer '24)

RUcrazee

Senior
Jan 23, 2020
It's already getting interesting in the portal. As we've taken a big hit at the start of this portal window opening, there are some really interesting names out there already.

Clemson and Kentucky got rid of their coaches and both have players entering the portal in big numbers.

Arkansas has at least two of their key players in the portal.

We need to be offering Jersey Wolfenberger(6"5), and Taliah Scott(5'9 SG; leading scorer in the SEC as a frosh). I also heard,.............she has some Jersey roots.

From Kentucky, .....Ajae Petty and Janae Walker from Kentucky are both post players that could help us tremendously. Maddie Scherr 5'11 CG savvy player . Need to keep an eye on their 6'5 recruit that signed in the Fall, Ramiya White. She may reopen her recruitment.

Ruby Whitehorn is a good player for Clemson. I'm not familiar with the rest of their roster, but I would think they may have someone of interest who may jump in the portal.

Gracie Merkel (6'6 Soph) from Bellarmine is in the portal. ASUN Conf frosh of the year. 15ppg, 11reb, 72 blocks.

A few mid-major stars are in the portal possibly looking for a bigger stage. We definitely can provide that, being we will be in likely the toughest conference.

One of those mid-majors happens to be a Shore area product. Makayla Andrews, from St Rose HS via Neptune HS. A grad of Lafayette. She's a strong defender, all-around fundamental player also score.

You think these ladies are going to come here? Do we have money? There is more going on in the program than just a few players leaving . Just like the secret of why Smikle was not playing during season. That storyline proved it was a false claim of illness or injury.

The top portal players will go to programs like Tennessee and UConn and SC and LSU and those types of programs. Taking my scarlet glasses off for a second, I see no reason other than familial ties, as to why a top player would come to RU.

At one point long ago, 2006-2010, we were elite. We are no longer. We need a young, energetic coach who can navigate this messed up new world. Heck, even saban, GTFO and was the Auremia of CFB.

As we are hearing it from people who hint at being in the know with the inside info., .... we don't have the money(NIL) to get the players we need to get this thing right. If so, RU is definitely not the only school in that predicament. This new era of NIL is shaking out to be the rich will get richer and everyone else has to fight for whatever falls through the cracks.

With that said, ......doesn't that make it a problem that is bigger than Coquese? Are the donors, or lack of, a part of the problem? Is Coquese getting the kind of support that whoever all these upset fans would replace her with would get??

Bottom line, people are venting their justified frustrations with how CW's tenure has started out. I'm disappointed with the product so far and concerned with where we are headed also. I choose to stand with her instead of bash her. though. Like I said in other post, ....This is the moment of truth for her right now. I can't see condemning her before the moment has even played out.

I may not be all that optimistic at this point, but I still have to wait and see. Nobody thought she would bring in D. Adams last portal cycle, ....but she did along with Mya Petticord and then recruited a program building point guard after bringing in a Chi-town guard, L Thompson.. We don't know who she's targeting at this very moment, and how it is going.

The top portal players will go to programs like Tennessee and UConn and SC and LSU and those types of programs. Taking my scarlet glasses off for a second, I see no reason other than familial ties, as to why a top player would come to RU.

At one point long ago, 2006-2010, we were elite. We are no longer. We need a young, energetic coach who can navigate this messed up new world. Heck, even saban, GTFO and was the Auremia of CFB.
Outside of getting recruits or transfers due to NIL, getting recruits is the same as it has always been.....Good recruiters and closers get players and they will come to Rutgers if you recruit them hard. Rutgers added an Elite recruiting Coach last year.

So, let's take at CW recruits the last two years.

5 Star
4 Star
4 Star
Huerter.....not a 4 star and she transferred.
4 Star transfer
4 Star transfer

Reactions: APKnight
So a negative … not a positive… if this doesn’t change this season it will be time move along.

• Haha
Reactions: Ray6232010
A few interesting developments......

Ashley Langford (Stony Brook HC) transfers to Tulane Univ. Yes, coaches are in the portal too. 😄

Also, Nicole Mellious, the HS scoring machine from Staten Island, has transferred from LaSalle to Seton Hall.

Scratch another one of the list! 😡😡

Paulina Paris is on her way to.............

ARIZONA😤😡!!!!!

Adia gets more recruits than anyone not named Staley, Mulkey, or Auriema.

I don't understand it for Paris though.

The dead period is coming up so we won't hear anything for a bit but if she doesn't get at least 4-5 girls in the portal we are headed for the same disaster next year you can't keep playing with such a short roster every year; She has had more than enough time now to get a full or near full roster

We especially need help in the front court. Girls
with some height that can guard the 4-5 effectively.
The B1G teams (and Auburn) with better pf and centers dominated us.
The roster MUST be filled. A power 5 school without a full roster 2 seasons in a row in unacceptable!

Reactions: runrutgersrun
We especially need help in the front court. Girls
with some height that can guard the 4-5 effectively.
The B1G teams (and Auburn) with better pf and centers dominated us.
The roster MUST be filled. A power 5 school without a full roster 2 seasons in a row in unacceptable!
Agree with all of this. Need a big BIG and a full roster or close to it. WBB limit is 15. Anything less than 13 or 14 would be unacceptable.

Roster is at 9....need at least 4 from portal or additional freshmen recruits.

I’m fine with a total of 11 or 12 as long as we keep the 9 we have. Players don't want to come and sit at the end of the bench.

I’m fine with a total of 11 or 12 as long as we keep the 9 we have. Players don't want to come and sit at the end of the bench.
That is for sure. Out here in Arizona, Adia has been preaching for the last couple of years that players don't want to sit on the bench at all. If they want to play 24 minutes and they average 20, in this day and age they portal out.

This is a fundamental shift in women's basketball, thanks to the Portal and NIL and all of it, that you can look for greener pastures, and, given the age of these players, who doesn't think there are greener pastures?

So many really good players jumping in the portal now, as we speak! No way we can strike out!....... Right??!

Need to get Lashae Dwyer, A. Velez back to the tri-state to ball. Maybe Del Rosario comes with Velez. I can dream.........so I'm gonna dream. Recruit Alyssa Latham again,.... I think she had us in her final choices coming out of HS a year ago.

Our players have to get to work with the recruiting effort. Gotta help sell the school/program to some of these great players that they may know.

Lots of prizes in here

-Deja Kelly (UNC) just entered
-Many of the Oregon St team are in the portal. They have some elite talent leaving their program for some mysterious reason.
-Amari DeBerry, who never got off UConn's bench is in the portal. Hey, we need 6'6" on our roster.
-Timea Gardener looked like a future WNBA player in this past NCAA Tourney, IMO

Just a few of the big names that pique my interest.

Totally agree!

I hope we are having some kind of success in the portal. We, the fanbase, could really use some good news right about now. Give us something!!
X100000000000000. Unfortunately they don’t give a rats ass about what we think !

• Haha
Reactions: RUcrazee
She’ll get a few good ones but not as many as she needs to win in 24-25… tough conference, lack of funds, no real vision or so it appears to be.

After reading the CVS article in the other thread here earlier tonight, I would like to plead: can't/won't someone PLEASE right the ship and save this once proud program...please!!!! It would be such a great story. Go RU!

Lots of prizes in here

-Many of the Oregon St team are in the portal. They have some elite talent leaving their program for some mysterious reason.

Just a few of the big names that pique my interest.
I don't think it is mysterious at all, but very disappointing. Unless Rueck is leaving (which isn't impossible but very unlikely) it is most likely because Oregon State will be competing in the West Coast Conference for at least the next year or 2 (Football in the Mountain West). Not sure that is the level of competition to gain recognition for the players.

Reactions: RUcrazee
And the result have been? Because we can’t afford to can CW she will be at RU for 1 or 2 more seasons. This program is moribund…and CW is not the answer. The problem is, even if the program is taking modest steps forward, almost every other P5 program is taking more meaningful ones.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: RAHWAYBOB
More to dream about for our next season roster.

Laila Phelia has entered the portal

This follows her teammate that she appeared to be close with, Cameron Williams, the post player for Mich. who showed a lot of improvement toward the end of the season.

KK Bransford, guard, Notre Dame entered the portal maybe a week ago. She is a good friend of Phelia going back to HS. Wouldn't be surprised if they were picking a place to play together. Maybe all three of them. I'm thinking they may go to Ohio St., or one of the new B1G teams, UCLA. Or...... they may decide they want to play in the NY Metro area, so they are headed to RU!!!! 😉🙏

Janiah Barker, Texas A&M, talented wing/post player, 5-star prospect out of HS, is in the portal.

I'm sure there's more on the way in the coming days.

More to dream about for our next season roster.

Laila Phelia has entered the portal

This follows her teammate that she appeared to be close with, Cameron Williams, the post player for Mich. who showed a lot of improvement toward the end of the season.

KK Bransford, guard, Notre Dame entered the portal maybe a week ago. She is a good friend of Phelia going back to HS. Wouldn't be surprised if they were picking a place to play together. Maybe all three of them. I'm thinking they may go to Ohio St., or one of the new B1G teams, UCLA. Or...... they may decide they want to play in the NY Metro area, so they are headed to RU!!!! 😉🙏

Janiah Barker, Texas A&M, talented wing/post player, 5-star prospect out of HS, is in the portal.

I'm sure there's more on the way in the coming days.
hopefully CW can nab one or two of these portal entrants

Guess who's in the portal now.......

Pretty much, EVERYBODY!

Can't be so down on CW for Kaylene, Erica, and Jillian jumping into the portal. Most programs are going through it. KBArrico has lost the whole starting five. She's gonna be starting a female version of the Fab Five(all Frosh recruits).😏

It seems the new reality is that entering the portal may be seen by all football and bball players as something that you must entertain each year to test the market for potential upward mobility. Even if you had success on the court, if more money is out there somewhere else, .........

Between coaches subtly pushing some out of their programs, some realizing that the incoming players are better than them and they will never play, and the good- great players being ready to auction off their talents to the highest bidder, go play along side their friends, or go ring chasing, ........... that's pretty much EVERYBODY!!

Last edited:
So hundreds in the portal for weeks and still not one has grabbed the Rutgers brass ring. There is something wrong with that.

So hundreds in the portal for weeks and still not one has grabbed the Rutgers brass ring. There is something wrong with that.
Clueless.

Last year when Rutgers got two 4 star transfers they committed on April 15th (Adams) and April 28th (Petticord).

I said Rutgers would get “ a few” or did you selectively decide to by-pass that. ? You think she has the chops to put this program back in real time? She has not done that just yet. If she does accomplish the rebuild then hats off to Washington. It is possible but players want/ need more than a promise …$$$$ is a big part of the process.

I said Rutgers would get “ a few” or did you selectively decide to by-pass that. ? You think she has the chops to put this program back in real time? She has not done that just yet. If she does accomplish the rebuild then hats off to Washington. It is possible but players want/ need more than a promise …$$$$ is a big part of the process.
I responded to this specific comment.....Nothing about "get a few". Just a back handed comment because no transfer has.committed yet and it's only April 9th.

I responded to this specific comment.....Nothing about "get a few". Just a back handed comment because no transfer has.committed yet and it's only April 9th.

Maybe you should have read it prior ? It wasn’t a “ backhanded comment” … it was an accurate point and we will see how many All American types join up . Hey , I ‘ll be as backhanded as anyone who is happy with what has transpired these past several seasons . From the C. Viv lovefests to the CW ( Penn State) savior is here. My wife and I were supporters of this women’s program . Probably as long as you are on the earth. Seems Rutgers fans forget T. Grentz and her time on the banks. Much better than this coach in control.

Maybe you should have read it prior ? It wasn’t a “ backhanded comment” … it was an accurate point and we will see how many All American types join up . Hey , I ‘ll be as backhanded as anyone who is happy with what has transpired these past several seasons . From the C. Viv lovefests to the CW ( Penn State) savior is here. My wife and I were supporters of this women’s program . Probably as long as you are on the earth. Seems Rutgers fans forget T. Grentz and her time on the banks. Much better than this coach in control.
Lol, you miss T. Grentz ? She's been gone since 1996 or so. Let it go, it's 2024.

Lol, you miss T. Grentz ? She's been gone since 1996 or so. Let it go, it's 2024.
Remember she was quite successful in several places…she wasn’t released due to wins and losses. Rutgers wanted the sexy pick .., Rutgers was moving in a new direction.

Remember she was quite successful in several places…she wasn’t released due to wins and losses. Rutgers wanted the sexy pick .., Rutgers was moving in a new direction.
Teresa was a great RU HC and before that made the St, Joseph's program an excellent one
1974–75Saint Joseph's9–2
1975–76Saint Joseph's18–3AIAW Regional
Saint Joseph's:27–5 (.844)
But after leaving Rutgers, the success wasn't the same
1995–96Illinois13–156–108th
1996–97Illinois24–812–4T–1stNCAA Division I Sweet 16
1997–98Illinois20–1012–42ndNCAA Division I Sweet 16
1998–99Illinois19–1210–63rdNCAA Division I second round
1999–2000Illinois23–1111–54thNCAA Division I second round
2000–01Illinois17–169–76thWNIT second round
2001–02Illinois15–147–98thWNIT second round
2002–03Illinois17–129–76thNCAA Division I first round
2003–04Illinois10–184–12T–8th
2004–05Illinois17–137–94thWNIT first round
2005–06Illinois16–156–10T–7thWNIT second round
2006–07Illinois19–128–84thWNIT third round
Illinois:210–156 (.574)101–91 (.526)
2015–16Lafayette6–234–14T–8th[28]
2016–17Lafayette4–282–1610th[29]
Lafayette:10–51 (.164)6–30 (.167)

Yes Grentz was an excellent coach. There are Rutgers people who know little about her and her history. I don’t count her years at Lafayette … She was given no support .

Apparently, most of the folks in the portal have not yet announced, even some that know where they are going. Of course, the portal is open for quite a while yet.

There is a general women's sub-board on the UConn message board where posters have been commenting on folks entering the portal and a thread for where they end up. It is far balanced toward leaving at this point.

Grentz won a championship at RU beating Texas, she coached the best player in RU history so she has that over cvs…cvs has the 2 FFs and beat UConn a few times…neither ever beat Tennessee. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Reactions: RUBOB72
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT