ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Prizes (Spring/Summer '24)

Grentz won a championship at RU beating Texas, she coached the best player in RU history so she has that over cvs…cvs has the 2 FFs and beat UConn a few times…neither ever beat Tennessee. 🤦🏻‍♂️
When it comes to the greatest RU WBB HC I tend to think Theresa over Vivian because of that AWIA Championship and being in the AWIA semi finals another tourney run to go with two NCAA Elite 8 appearances and her RU lifetime 434-150 record .

But CVS has a great claim to the RU WBB HC GOAT and one might not be wrong with either pick .
Might be best to call it a tie when it comes to who is the RU WBB HC GOAT

Last edited:
FWIW: both women were great coaches in their own right. Funny how many people never mention the greatest player ever at Rutgers in WBB. It is like she is a forgotten entity however long ago it was . My issue with CViv is how this last segment of her career has caused so many issues for a sport we were once top 10 year in and year out.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
FWIW: both women were great coaches in their own right. Funny how many people never mention the greatest player ever at Rutgers in WBB. It is like she is a forgotten entity however long ago it was . My issue with CViv is how this last segment of her career has caused so many issues for a sport we were once top 10 year in and year out.
SUE WICKS!

Remember she was quite successful in several places…she wasn’t released due to wins and losses. Rutgers wanted the sexy pick .., Rutgers was moving in a new direction.
I am confused here. What is your issue? Why is Theresa Grentz a topic of conversation in a thread about building the Rutgers roster for 2024-25?

Theresa Grentz was a great coach at Rutgers and accomplished great things. In the Hall of Fame for Rutgers, Women's HOF and Naismith HOF.

She was The first Great Rutgers WBB Coach, CVS was the 2nd Great Rutgers WBB Coach. Hopefully, CW will be the 3rd. That would be great for Rutgers WBB. We should all want that.

And Coach Washington is a big fan of Theresa Grentz and what she did at Rutgers. Interesting note... She is probably the only.Coach in America ( Men or Women ) to follow two Hall of Fame Coaches !

Last edited:
I am confused here. What is your issue? Why is Theresa Grentz a topic of conversation in a thread about building the Rutgers roster for 2024-25?

Theresa Grentz was a great coach at Rutgers and accomplished great things. In the Hall of Fame for Rutgers, Women's HOF and Naismith HOF.

She was The first Great Rutgers WBB Coach, CVS was the 2nd Great Rutgers WBB Coach. Hopefully, CW will be the 3rd. That would be great for Rutgers WBB. We should all want that.

And Coach Washington is a big fan of Theresa Grentz and what she did at Rutgers. Interesting note... She is probably the only.Coach in America ( Men or Women ) to follow two Hall of Fame Coaches !

There is no issue think it is you… the facts are the thread was on portal possibilities. The lack thereof which we haven’t heard squat. This conversation was about CW , CVS and I questioned the lack of attention given to one time coach TG.. you then immediately want to know “ the issue”… there isn’t an issue…

Maybe we can get our 6'5" Center to come on home to RU. Familiarity with CW. She was one of the ND players who made it to CW's intro press conference here at RU. 🙏

Would be nice.

Who else in the portal is a logical fit for us. Of course, the elite players are a longshot, but there are some mid-majors looking to move up to a more high profile conference and some P5 players who fall into the category of Destiny and Mya. They either weren't used right or not enough, or didn't see a road to enough playing time. Or might have wanted to come play closer to home.

ND's Marshall might fit the latter category.

You already know, I like L. Dwyer(Miami) , played HS ball here in NJ at the Patrick School. A. Velez(LSU) from the Bronx, is also a good player who may want to play closer to home and could bring her friend DelRosario with her if she decides to enter the portal also.

Marshall, along with Rosario, and either of the guards mentioned above would make us very competitive.

These are just a few of the numerous great fits for our team. This turnaround is extrememly do-able. It's a great opportunity for CW to get it done this go round.

For those who say nothing is happening on CW's end so far,, in regard to this portal season,.... realize, .... players have just entered their names and are in the talking, visiting, deciding stages. Not many have decided on a new destination just yet. That should come in the weeks to come. Many will wait to see what teams are gonna do overall to make sure they actually fit with the new destination. E. Martinez(Arizona) is an example of that. She originally transferred to LSU until that same portal season, Kim brought in Reese at the same position. Martinez changed her mind and went to Arizona. So, bottomline, some of the elite talent may take their time in deciding.

Another interesting name in the portal......

Faith Masonius (Maryland); Not sure how much she helps in the post, but she sure could help foster a more connected offense, due to her bball savvy. Maybe she comes home to RU and her little sis follows. Her sister may have another year at Manasquan HS. She's of the mold of KB as a glue player.

Faith Masonius (Maryland); Not sure how much she helps in the post, but she sure could help foster a more connected offense, due to her bball savvy. Maybe she comes home to RU and her little sis follows. Her sister may have another year at Manasquan HS. She's of the mold of KB as a glue player.
Hope Masonius is a senior and has signed with Bucknell

Reactions: RUcrazee

She’s more of a forward/shooter and has had a ton of injuries so her movement is not great. From what I’ve seen of her at MD, she’s leader and a hustler.

Her sister is going to play at Bucknell in the Patriot League.

There is interest fro Jojo Lacey, a grad transfer from BC. She definitely visited RU and posted on one of those disappearing posts on Instagram. She is also being followed by our players.

There is interest fro Jojo Lacey, a grad transfer from BC. She definitely visited RU and posted on one of those disappearing posts on Instagram. She is also being followed by our players.
I like her game. She's a two-way player, which is not as common today as in the past. She's a good fit with our new playmaking PG and Destiny and Chyna starting the fastbreak.

Come on down JoJo!

Players who I think would be a great fit to solidify our team ........

Along with JoJo Lacey,.......as I mentioned earlier, Nat Marshall(ND)

Amari DeBerry (UConn), -she could make up for all the playing time she never got at UConn.

Christina Dalce (Villanova) - she could come back home (from Edison, NJ) played at Rutgers Prep, IIRC. She's not 6'5" but can handle herself in the post.

And another strong defender at the guard spot like Lashae Dwyer or A. Velez(LSU).

Kateri Poole
, as an experienced PG could be a great addition also. Taking pressure off of Kiyomi from the start of the season.

Alyssa Latham (Syracuse) is a serious talent that I would add in a second.

And there are so many others out there. It's just a matter of who can or staff/current players build bonds with to entice them to come.

Last edited:
Odds seem pretty good JoJo is a Scarlet Knight come this time next week. Would be a strong statement by the staff having their first transfer in be an immediate impact player. Great sign of what’s to come this off-season.

Players who I think would be a great fit to solidify our team ........

Along with JoJo Lacey,.......as I mentioned earlier, Nat Marshall(ND)

Amari DeBerry (UConn), -she could make up for all the playing time she never got at UConn.

Christina Dulce (Villanova) - she could come back home (from Edison, NJ) played at Rutgers Prep, IIRC. She's not 6'5" but can handle herself in the post.

And another strong defender at the guard spot like Lashae Dwyer or A. Velez(LSU).

Kateri Poole
, as an experienced PG could be a great addition also. Taking pressure off of Kiyomi from the start of the season.

And there are so many others out there. It's just a matter of who can or staff/current players build bonds with to entice them to come.
Thanks for this information. Just curious, do you think any of these options fit into the uptempo offense that Washington wants at Rutgers?

Current floor runners are Sidibe, Petticord, Adams, Thompson, Bates, freshmen Mc Miller, even Cornwall runs.

Last edited:
And another strong defender at the guard spot like Lashae Dwyer

She's got the right idea about coming back to the area, just the wrong school. Needs to come ROCK THE RAC as RU enters a new exciting age for the men and women bb squads.
We can cross Alyssa off the list. Dannggitt!!! Missed out on her twice.

Thanks for this information. Just curious, do you think any of these options fit into the uptempo offense that Washington wants at Rutgers?

Current floor runners are Sidibe, Petticord, Adams, Thompson, Bates, freshmen Mc Miller, even Cornwall runs.
All of them can run.

I hope Coach Enemkpali is checking in on her alma mater for the talented young post that just entered the portal. Amina Muhammad.

Also should be looking into Jenae Walker from Kentucky. She looks like she could be a similar style to KB. Able to score from all three levels. An inch or two taller than KB.

Penn St has already snagged the 6'6" post that I initially mentioned in this thread, Gracie Merkel.

Also should be looking into Jenae Walker from Kentucky. She looks like she could be a similar style to KB. Able to score from all three levels. An inch or two taller than KB.
Aaaahhhhh!!!! What do we have here?!!! Come on up! to where the excitement is gonna be! Rutgers Bball Men's and Women's. It's ready to take off!! High visibility conference.

Last edited:
Agree on the fit and also agree on the KB comp from @RUcrazee if she can reach her potential. Would have to guess this is a Nneka recruitment considering she almost picked USC out of high school. Don’t have too much intel on where her head is at but I wouldn’t be surprised if she lands at RU.

The experienced PG that we seek is now in the portal.

Samara Spencer (Arkansas) makes the team ready to compete with anybody in the B1G. She's perfect for the style Coquese wants to play. She can shoot it very well from 3. Great distributor and penetrator.

She's also great for Kiyomi, allowing her to be able to ease into her role as the face of the team, with less pressure while she adjusts to top level college ball.

Aaaahhhhh!!!! What do we have here?!!! Come on up! to where the excitement is gonna be! Rutgers Bball Men's and Women's. It's ready to take off!! High visibility conference.

Interesting that none of her finalist schools out of high school are in her list: Southern California, Syracuse and Wisconsin.

Didn’t have much of an impact her freshman year, but seems to have potential and 3 years of eligibility in a position where RU is really thin (C/PF).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT