ADVERTISEMENT

Possible new playoff scenario

JayDogSmooth

All Conference
Aug 18, 2006
Lots of smoke about Tate being out for FSU against Ville - true freshman Brook Glenn could get the nod

Rumors it’s concussion related - not surprising if you saw the late hit the Gates laid on him last week, looked like his eyes were rolling in the back of his head

Actually surprised the docs allowed him to come back in for the game clinching seriesz

Anyway, not sure how long these things last.

If it’s a prolonged situation, but Noles beat Ville, does FSU get squeezed out of the playoffs due to having their 3rd string QB manning the ship?

I think a lot depends on what happens in the rest of the games. But it's very hard to say FSU looks like one of the top 4 teams in the country, especially with backup/3rd QB.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think a lot depends on what happens in the rest of the games. But it's very hard to say FSU looks like one of the top 4 teams in the country, especially with backup/3rd QB.
Yeah, I think they would have to have clarification on Tate before putting them in. Like if he was just out for this game per protocol, but will be back, I can see them putting the Knoles in the playoffs. But if he is out for a definite period of time, I don’t think there’s anyway that they would let them in with a third string quarterback. That’s a true freshman, unless we put up 70 against Louisville

• Sad
Reactions: cRURah
A 1 loss 2014 Ohio State won their B1G championship game, Playoff Game, and National Championship game with their 3rd string QB making his first 3 starts....

So it would be hypocritical if FSU win's their championship game to not let them in.

Last edited:
I’ll believe an unbeaten FSU doesn’t get selected in a situation like this when it happens.

Until then, it will continue to be talk to keep interest/ratings as has happened in the past.

Talk to me after all the games are played, but this could be the most consequential onference championship weekend ever. Every P5 title game has playoff implications. It could be an easy night or a stressful Sunday for the committee.

Lots of smoke about Tate being out for FSU against Ville - true freshman Brook Glenn could get the nod

Rumors it’s concussion related - not surprising if you saw the late hit the Gates laid on him last week, looked like his eyes were rolling in the back of his head

Actually surprised the docs allowed him to come back in for the game clinching seriesz

If it’s a prolonged situation, but Noles beat Ville, does FSU get squeezed out of the playoffs due to having their 3rd string QB manning the ship?
That didn't keep Ohio State out of the inaugural playoff.

Reactions: RUSMOKING
You go undefeated and beat LSU and FLA OOC you deserve in. Why play a regular season if you are going by who you think is the best teams rather than the teams that did it on the field?

Being "unbeaten" isn't an automatic qualifier.
See Liberty.

CFP is like Animal Farm:
All teams are created equal. But some are more equal than others.

This will be chaos. The agenda of the committee is probably to put in 2 B1G and 2 SEC teams. I hope to be wrong about that.

I cannot imagine FSU falling out of the playoffs with a win unless they look like the Keystone Cops or Three Stooges and they are lucky to get the W somehow. They may get blasted by the #1 team, but I think they'd still be in.

06fa716080aac8383fdba29ffc4f4499.jpg

Reactions: RCBeta79
A 1 loss 2014 Ohio State won their B1G championship game, Playoff Game, and National Championship game with their 3rd string QB making his first 3 starts....

So it would be hypocritical if FSU win's their championship game to not let them in.
But OSU not only won.... But won BIG with their 3rd stringer.... Against a very good Whisky team.... If OSU squeaked by... They wouldn't have gotten in...

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Being "unbeaten" isn't an automatic qualifier.
See Liberty.

CFP is like Animal Farm:
All teams are created equal. But some are more equal than others.
In what world do you include an undefeated "Liberty" into the discussion. A lot different to leave an undefeated P5 team.

In what world do you include an undefeated "Liberty" into the discussion. A lot different to leave an undefeated P5 team.

Is it different? Undefeated doesn't mean anything in CFB - see Liberty and potentially FSU.
Despite what many like to say it's still the playoffs for ALL of FBS - not just P5 - and the rules are designed as such.

In fact, the rules specifically say "record/winning conference/undefeated" are NOT an AQ over all other items.
4 At-Large Bids and no AQ bids.
As such, FSU being "undefeated" isn't some sort of trump card to make the CFP.
The rules are "best team as determined by the committee".

While it may be weird or unreasonable to leave an undefeated P5 out, the fact of being "undefeated" has long been determined to not be a AQ.

• Angry
Reactions: cRURah

100% OUT if they lose. They could be out with an ugly win, if Washington beats Oregon in impressive fashion.

Edit… I don’t know what I was thinking 😂… if FSU loses Texas is probably in if they win. OSU has a shot too. Georgia and Alabama could be in too if Alabama wins a tight one.

Last edited:
100% OUT if they lose. They could be out with an ugly win, if Washington beats Oregon in impressive fashion.
?? Did you get that backwards cowbell? The Huskies are undefeated.

As long as Georgia wins, Florida State could beat Louisville with me at quarterback and they'd still make the playoffs (to be fair, I would be knocked out of the game the first time someone on the defense breathed on me). They aren't going to take a team with a loss over an undefeated FSU, with the possible exception of Georgia as noted above by Ralph Russo.

?? Did you get that backwards cowbell? The Huskies are undefeated.

As long as Georgia wins, Florida State could beat Louisville with me at quarterback and they'd still make the playoffs (to be fair, I would be knocked out of the game the first time someone on the defense breathed on me). They aren't going to take a team with a loss over an undefeated FSU, with the possible exception of Georgia as noted above by Ralph Russo.
Yeah, my brain is fogged up. 😂

Reactions: Skull83
Alabama over Georgia
Iowa over Michigan
Louisville over FSU
Oregon over Washington
Texas over Oklahoma State
Ohio State Buckeyes roasting over an open fire

Final records: 12-1: Georgia, Michigan, Washington, Oregon, Florida State, Texas, Alabama
Final record 11-1: Ohio State

CHAOS!

Still don't see how Georgia is not in the bottom 2 of those 12-1 teams (with FSU) if this plays out.
They have arguably the 2nd worst "best win" and a similar loss to the rest of the 12-1 teams (except Michigan/FSU).
Obviously ignoring any detailed analysis about SOS or anything like that:

Just a quick look to me it would be: Oregon, Washington, Texas,Alabama if everyone ends up 12-1.

Oregon - neutral win 12-1 Washington, loss @ 12-1 Washington
Washington - home win 12-1 Oregon, neutral loss 12-1 Oregon
Texas - away win 12-1 Alabama, home loss #12 Oklahoma
Alabama - neutral win over 12-1 Georgia, home loss 12-1 Texas
Michigan - home win 11-1 OSU, neutral loss #18 11-2 Iowa
Georgia - win over #9 10-2 Missouri, loss to 12-1 Alabama
FSU - win over 9-3 LSU, loss 11-2 Louisville

Is it different?
Yes it is. If you refuse to acknowledge it then nothing more needs written as neither side would convince the other.
Undefeated doesn't mean anything in CFB - see Liberty and potentially FSU.
Nothing negative with FSU has happened yet.
Despite what many like to say it's still the playoffs for ALL of FBS - not just P5 - and the rules are designed as such.
Over a dozen schools have moved up over the past few decades. If they want to be treated in a similar fashion to bigger schools, they have to play some similar competition.

Before you suggest nobody will play them, these teams can go on the road and make a name for themselves. FSU is a good example of a team that did it. I could name a couple others also.
While it may be weird or unreasonable to leave an undefeated P5 out, the fact of being "undefeated" has long been determined to not be a AQ.
The aren’t dumb enough to put something in writing they can be sued for.

For what it's worth, Booger McFarland predicted that if Alabama beats Georgia, and all the other favorites win, the SEC gets shut out.

He says the unbeaten teams (Michigan and FSU in this scenario) are in, period. Winner of Washington/Oregon is also in. It then comes down to Alabama, Georgia, or Texas. He further states that you can't pick Georgia over Alabama in this scenario, nor can you pick Alabama over Texas, as Texas won head to head by double digits in Tuscaloosa.

That said, how much credence you choose to give to anyone who calls himself Booger is up to you.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Yes it is. If you refuse to acknowledge it then nothing more needs written as neither side would convince the other.

Nothing negative with FSU has happened yet.

Over a dozen schools have moved up over the past few decades. If they want to be treated in a similar fashion to bigger schools, they have to play some similar competition.

Before you suggest nobody will play them, these teams can go on the road and make a name for themselves. FSU is a good example of a team that did it. I could name a couple others also.

The aren’t dumb enough to put something in writing they can be sued for.

Obviously nothing negative has happened yet.

Yes, FSU did it. And yet, they still could be left out with an undefeated season according to many (note - taking other people's opinion on it is meaningless so this all could be for naught).

Perhaps there is an unwritten rule that an undefeated "P5" makes it no matter what.
But it's still unwritten so it doesn't have to be abided by.
Wasn't there an "unwritten rule" that you have to be a conference champion to make it? Until that wasn't an unwritten rule.

So in summary: Even if FSU goes undefeated, they aren't guaranteed a spot in the CFB...…pretty sure that was my original post.

For what it's worth, Booger McFarland predicted that if Alabama beats Georgia, and all the other favorites win, the SEC gets shut out.

He says the unbeaten teams (Michigan and FSU in this scenario) are in, period. Winner of Washington/Oregon is also in. It then comes down to Alabama, Georgia, or Texas. He further states that you can't pick Georgia over Alabama in this scenario, nor can you pick Alabama over Texas, as Texas won head to head by double digits in Tuscaloosa.

That said, how much credence you choose to give to anyone who calls himself Booger is up to you.

Doesn't 12-1 Washington have a better resume than 12-1 Georgia, 12-1 Alabama and 12-1 Texas.
Win over a Top 3 Oregon and only loss to a Top 3 Oregon?

I think a lot people will be shocked when 2 PAC-12 teams make it if Oregon wins and Michigan, Georgia or FSU lose.

If the four undefeated teams come out unscathed (no Liberty doesn't count), the committee's job is done for them. You'd have four undefeated P5 champions. There could be some grumbling about FSU's quarterback situation, but they would have beaten a good Louisville team with whatever quarterback they throw out there. It's perfect symmetry, four undefeated teams with four playoff spots. The committee would be out of their minds to pick a one loss team in that scenario.

Reactions: NickRU714
I listened to an interesting podcast with Joel Klatt where he pointed out how what the committee does with the back half of the top 25 has a lot of impact on the top.

For example, both Tennessee and Utah are 8-4. They both lost to a lot of good teams but didn’t pull a big upset. They had a common opponent, Utah beat Florida by double digits and two weeks later Tennessee lost to Florida by double digits.

However, the committee has Tennessee at 20 and left Utah out of the top 25, so if it comes down to an SEC team fighting a Pac12 team for a playoff spot, the SEC team gets to claim they have one additional Top 25 win because of Tennessee being in there.

Reactions: RUShea
There are multiple metrics that go into it, not any one particular thing. SOS, undefeated team or not, conference champion, best wins, best losses etc...Also it depends on if it's a head to head comparison or a multiple teams comparison.

Look at all of it and come out with a picture and it is somewhat subjective but that's why you have the committee, to try and minimize that somewhat.

There are so many ifs and buts that I wouldn't want to guess at it until it's all played out.

I've said CFB has had more opportunity from the top on down and this year is a good demonstration of it. A lot more teams vying for the spots and are worthy. Good thing a 12 team playoff is coming next year lol.

The term "good for the conference" was relevant back in the Big East days, when we were desperately trying to hold onto Automatic Qualifier status in the face of multiple defections.

It is no longer relevant.
Disagree - you want to have a Big 10 team in the four-team playoff. That said, Michigan has to play a lot better this time around when they get the opportunity.

Disagree - you want to have a Big 10 team in the four-team playoff. That said, Michigan has to play a lot better this time around when they get the opportunity.
In all seriousness, what if PSU was in Michigans place?

I cannot imagine FSU falling out of the playoffs with a win unless they look like the Keystone Cops or Three Stooges and they are lucky to get the W somehow. They may get blasted by the #1 team, but I think they'd still be in.

06fa716080aac8383fdba29ffc4f4499.jpg
Is this the Press, Press, Pull Button episode for entry to the stadium?

Obviously nothing negative has happened yet.

Yes, FSU did it. And yet, they still could be left out with an undefeated season according to many (note - taking other people's opinion on it is meaningless so this all could be for naught).
Think it is more that the “many” talking about it are trying to keep more viewers/clicks/whatever term playing attention to them.
Perhaps there is an unwritten rule that an undefeated "P5" makes it no matter what.
But it's still unwritten so it doesn't have to be abided by.
Wasn't there an "unwritten rule" that you have to be a conference champion to make it? Until that wasn't an unwritten rule.
Never heard that for the conference champ thing. Did hear it would be one of multiple factors for comparable teams.
So in summary: Even if FSU goes undefeated, they aren't guaranteed a spot in the CFB...
For it to occur, it would have to conflict with with every 4 team playoff held so far. A P5 school with more losses has not been invited over any P5 school with fewer losses.

…pretty sure that was my original post.
Well…the first post I saw was bringing Liberty into the thread in a reply about FSU.

Btw, would agree with anyone saying FSU and their fans would have every right to complain if they weren’t included after a win. I just don’t see it happening.

Reactions: yesrutgers01

"Actually surprised the docs allowed him to come back in for the game clinching seriesz"

Were your fingers trying to type "seizure" there? Agreed though. Dangerous. Reminded me of letting Wimsatt back in at Wisconsin.

"Actually surprised the docs allowed him to come back in for the game clinching seriesz"

Were your fingers trying to type "seizure" there? Agreed though. Dangerous. Reminded me of letting Wimsatt back in at Wisconsin.
On replay it looked like his eyes were rolling in back of his head - after he emerged from the sideline tent I figured his night was over

If Georgia and Michigan win, and FSU loses (not an unlikely scenario), who is the 4th team in the CFP? Thanks. $$$$

Reactions: cicero grimes

Remember when they left out Ohio State in 2014 with their 3rd string QB? Oh right they didn't and OSU won the National Championship.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT