ADVERTISEMENT

Post-Scrimmage Articles from Sargeant and Duggan

"According to multiple people in attendance"

"Word is.."

Nothing really to see here not sure if any of it is true. Maybe a tidbit here or there.

What can we really expect After only 4 days of practice. For me the best news was the DH played. Green shirt but played. Other than that it is nothing more than practice. It will mean much more to the coaches as they look for specific things about individual players but overall it is just another practice. It would be a mistake to read anything to meaningful into this early. IMHO

Reactions: beaced
What can we really expect After only 4 days of practice. For me the best news was the DH played. Green shirt but played. Other than that it is nothing more than practice. It will mean much more to the coaches as they look for specific things about individual players but overall it is just another practice. It would be a mistake to read anything to meaningful into this early. IMHO

Good point about DH.

Reactions: ruready07
Below is the most relevant excerpt, IMO. Looks like Laviano with the early lead...

Quarterback Chris Laviano got all of the reps with the first-team offense. Hayden Rettig, who got the majority of the reps with the first-team offense in Thursday's practice, rotated with Giovanni Rescigno with the second-team offense. Michael Dare and walk-on Jack Clements also got reps during the scrimmage. Word is that the offense moved the ball well, with all of the quarterbacks making some good throws, while also having a few they'd like back. Struggles by the second-team offensive line made it more difficult for the quarterbacks working with that group.

Below is the most relevant excerpt, IMO. Looks like Laviano with the early lead...

Quarterback Chris Laviano got all of the reps with the first-team offense. Hayden Rettig, who got the majority of the reps with the first-team offense in Thursday's practice, rotated with Giovanni Rescigno with the second-team offense. Michael Dare and walk-on Jack Clements also got reps during the scrimmage. Word is that the offense moved the ball well, with all of the quarterbacks making some good throws, while also having a few they'd like back. Struggles by the second-team offensive line made it more difficult for the quarterbacks working with that group.
Meltdown-770x433.jpg

Reactions: mildone

Quarterback Chris Laviano got all of the reps with the first-team offense. Hayden Rettig, who got the majority of the reps with the first-team offense in Thursday's practice, rotated with Giovanni Rescigno with the second-team offense. Michael Dare and
walk-on Jack Clements also got reps during the scrimmage. Word is that the offense moved the ball well, with all of the quarterbacks making some good throws, while also having a few they'd like back. Struggles by the second-team offensive line made it more difficult for the quarterbacks working with that group.

I recall that Ash said Laviano had an advantage because of his experience from last season before spring practice began so why is it so relevant that he was the first QB used after only 4 practices. I still say the most relevant news is that DH played. The QB situation would have been relevant if Laviano had not been the first one up.

Last edited:
I don't think it will be a replay of last year. Chris might win the job but it will not be given to him. If he is the starting QB, I'm fine with it.

Coach Blazek seems like a good guy to have on staff. High personality guy who should help in recruiting.
He has some talent to work with and he knows it, Im hoping he can get the most out of these guys.
He does seem like a high energy guy, but I was kind of laughing how out of breath he was getting talking to the reporter.

I recall that Ash said Laviano had an advantage because of his experience from last season before spring practice began so why is it so relevant that he was the first QB used after only 4 practices. I still say the most relevant news is that DH played. The QB situation would have been relevant if Laviano had not been the first one up.
Actually, it was Coach Mehringer that said Laviano had an experience advantage. In the same interview he said Gio had issues with his mechanics. Most importantly, he said that Rettig was throwing the ball VERY, VERY well. My read is that Rettig has the slime lead at this point.

It will also mean that they will have actually taught him how to play the position.

This is just so funny - and predictable !!! If CL is named starter, it wont have anything to do with the possibility that CL was the better option last year and that the prior coaching staff had recognized this and come to the same conclusion. But that would not fit the narrative of our armchair coaches/ message board experts. So yeah… now it will be that Mehringer and Ash have coached him to be better than the other QB’s !! OK we will go with that. Can only shake my head.

This is just so funny - and predictable !!! If CL is named starter, it wont have anything to do with the possibility that CL was the better option last year and that the prior coaching staff had recognized this and come to the same conclusion.

Agreed.

I swear, if I hear one more person suggest that Laviano was given the job last year whereas this year he will have earned the right to start, I might just blow my brains out because I can't take it anymore.

The difference is CL is a spread QB.

Last year he was a round peg in a square hole.

Agreed.

I swear, if I hear one more person suggest that Laviano was given the job last year whereas this year he will have earned the right to start, I might just blow my brains out because I can't take it anymore.
Don't let 'em get to you. But if you do, blow someone else's brains out. Much more satisfying.

Reactions: IMARUFAN
This is just so funny - and predictable !!! If CL is named starter, it wont have anything to do with the possibility that CL was the better option last year and that the prior coaching staff had recognized this and come to the same conclusion. But that would not fit the narrative of our armchair coaches/ message board experts. So yeah… now it will be that Mehringer and Ash have coached him to be better than the other QB’s !! OK we will go with that. Can only shake my head.
How's the job search going, Kyle?

Predictable? Maybe. But we did find out that none of the OCs before Friedgen got here even taught Gary Nova how to read defenses. It's not exactly out of the realm of possibility that if Laviano gets the starting job, it will be because of better coaching. It's pretty clear that he didn't exactly get Bill Walsh level tutelage last year.

CL is the best QB but the 2nd stringer should have gotten more playing time than he got last year IMHO since we weren't winning many games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT