ADVERTISEMENT

Prediction of how the rest of the season will go.....

1-4 most likely with our win coming when someone lays an egg.

The Mag loss has destroyed our defense. We’ve proven we can still score as long as we feed hyatt and simpson. But I just don’t see how we stop anyone in this league right now, even Minny who you know will eviscerate us from 3 at their place.

1-4 most likely with our win coming when someone lays an egg.

The Mag loss has destroyed our defense. We’ve proven we can still score as long as we feed hyatt and simpson. But I just don’t see how we stop anyone in this league right now, even Minny who you know will eviscerate us from 3 at their place.
Sad, but very possible, and becoming increasingly likely.

Reactions: malaka27
I think we're f'd. I know we've been in this situation in the past, but in the past we had two guys who were legit scoring threats and could take over a game. Somewhat inconsistent but threats for sure. I just don't get the same feeling this year. I wouldn't' be surprised if Wisconsin buries us this weekend. And for sure I think PSU will in their building.

Win at Wisconsin (9-7) 17-10
Exhale on the internet board

Win Michigan (10-7) 18-10
Jubilation again will have internet board thinking deep March run again

Loss at Penn state (10-8) 18-11
Board meltdown again at a possible collapse

Win at Minnesota (11-8) 19-11
Close win will have board Concluding we are one and done

Win Northestern (12-8) 20-11
Close win at home clinches Andy Katz prediction of a top 4 seed

Rematch with Northestern on Friday at 230 pm
I'll have what you're having.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
3-2 most likely outcome.

It's amazing how fast some of you guys wilt.
I want RU to do well as much as anyone. That's why I will be sitting behind RU bench Saturday. But facts are facts. Sometimes you need to look at reality and not just a whim and a hope. Since Mag got injured, the team hasn't really played a single noteworthy half of basketball. And they are letting other teams score almost at will.

I want RU to do well as much as anyone. That's why I will be sitting behind RU bench Saturday. But facts are facts. Sometimes you need to look at reality and not just a whim and a hope. Since Mag got injured, the team hasn't really played a single noteworthy half of basketball. And they are letting other teams score almost at will.
That's not a fact. Your projection of how a team will play in the future is like a textbook example of an "opinion" from the kind of fact or opinion questions they give to third graders, so I'm not sure how you would try to present that as a fact.

Then, even your statements of the past are not particularly accurate; I'm not exactly sure what a "noteworthy" half of basketball is but if we translate it to good or at least decent obviously at least the first half at Illinois qualifies.

We lost two games we were expected to lose and laid one absolute stinker; in two of the three the players who are actually playing (not Mag) played far worse than their average and in the other Cliff took himself out of the game. It would have been extremely difficult to win under those conditions, Mag or no Mag, as much as everyone is making him out to be Michael Jordan around here now.

The true fact of the matter is that unless you think that Paul, Cam, Cliff, Hyatt, et al have suddenly transformed into worse players as opposed to just having a few bad games, the team is much more likely to perform within a couple points of the average established season to date than it is to just play like the Nebraska game for the rest of the season. Message board posters extremely weak psyches aside, the team will not have given up because of a three game losing streak that included one bad loss.

Sad, but very possible, and becoming increasingly likely.
And it shouldn’t be the end of the world, key injuries affect top teams all the time, usually with a marked decrease in a team’s performance. Our highly touted recruits and prospects, if they really are about RU, shouldn’t be phased by this.

In short, we can win or lose any/each of the remaining games. It's come to that.
5-0? Highly unlikely.
4-1? Unlikely.
3-2? Most likely.
2-3? Likely.
1-4? Unlikely
0-5? Highly unlikely.
The ranges cover it, and I'll overlay:

5-0? Highly unlikely - But possible if Cam, Hyatt both get in a consistent offensive zone, along with two of of Cliff and/or Paul/Caleb contributing on the offense, and defense goes back to its top status.
4-1? Unlikely. - But possible if Cam, Hyatt both get in a consistent offensive zone, along with one of of Cliff and/or Paul/Caleb contributing on the offense, and defense goes back to its top status
3-2? Most likely. - But possible if both Cam, Hyatt get in a consistent offensive zone and defense goes back to its top status
2-3? Likely. - But possible if either Cam, Hyatt get in a consistent offensive zone and defense goes back to its top status
1-4? Unlikely - But possible if neither Cam, Hyatt get in a consistent offensive zone, but maybe one of Cliff/Paul/Caleb do enough and defense goes back to its top status to pull one out.
0-5? Highly unlikely. - But possible if there is a game like the last three where no one provides any consistent offense and defense is a shell of itself.

This team is not in the top 100 in offensive efficiency and that is killing them. They have very little room for error in their defense and once that breaks the team is in trouble. That has been the M.O. under Pikell that may finally change with the next couple of classes (assuming they come).

That's not a fact. Your projection of how a team will play in the future is like a textbook example of an "opinion" from the kind of fact or opinion questions they give to third graders, so I'm not sure how you would try to present that as a fact.

Then, even your statements of the past are not particularly accurate; I'm not exactly sure what a "noteworthy" half of basketball is but if we translate it to good or at least decent obviously at least the first half at Illinois qualifies.

We lost two games we were expected to lose and laid one absolute stinker; in two of the three the players who are actually playing (not Mag) played far worse than their average and in the other Cliff took himself out of the game. It would have been extremely difficult to win under those conditions, Mag or no Mag, as much as everyone is making him out to be Michael Jordan around here now.

The true fact of the matter is that unless you think that Paul, Cam, Cliff, Hyatt, et al have suddenly transformed into worse players as opposed to just having a few bad games, the team is much more likely to perform within a couple points of the average established season to date than it is to just play like the Nebraska game for the rest of the season. Message board posters extremely weak psyches aside, the team will not have given up because of a three game losing streak that included one bad loss.
Cam has regressed without a doubt. Cliff getting in more foul trouble without that stellar Mag D to help him down low. Paul too timid to shoot, but that has been chronic issue. Caleb trying to shoulder the offensive load and that just isn't his game.

Cam has regressed without a doubt. Cliff getting in more foul trouble without that stellar Mag D to help him down low. Paul too timid to shoot, but that has been chronic issue. Caleb trying to shoulder the offensive load and that just isn't his game.
Cam was never going to shoot 65% from three and 97% from the line all season, just like he isn't going to shoot 20% from three all season. He will be fine relative to realistic expectations.

Paul and Caleb are what they have always been, Cliff got in foul trouble one time, just not that much has changed. Some guys had some bad games, shit happens.

I think when you add it all together, with Mag, team was a dangerous group but record was probably somewhat of overachievement. Without him, we are not a good defensive team. Plain and simple. So we were treading thin ice in terms of our success with fully healthy Mag, but no Mag, teams put up 75+ on us. We don't have that offensive capability, hence no wins since Mag left injured.

Looking at the past it is obvious how this will go......

Loss at Wisconsin by 12
Loss at home to Michigan by 8

Complete utter meltdown. Every other thread is about whether we will either make the NIT or accept a bid

Win at PSU
Win at Minnesota
Win at home vs NW

Loss 1st round of B1G

We are sweating Selection Sunday thinking we are probably in but worried about Dayton. We get the last seed not going to Dayton.

Don't know how the rest goes
C'mon, 11-9 and we're not sweating anything - at least a 9 seed. We only sweat if we finish 10-10 and don't win one in the B1G tourney. I thought we were going to finish 4-2, but now would be ecstatic with 3-2 after blowing one of the "easy" wins and worrying that something is truly wrong. The question is whether the 2nd half of MSU and playing IU/IL tight (not unexpected losses) is indicative of the rest of the season or if NE is. Given the huge uncertainty in that, I feel like making a prediction is futile.

2nd half MSU
1st half Illinois

Reactions: malaka27
At 19-13 we would be 13-13 vs real competition and 11-13 if you don’t count Minnesota.

Last year we were in Dayton at 18-13.
But our NET will be hugely better vs. last year, even with a 2-3 finish, which is why I think we'd be an 11, but a win in the B1G tourney would sure be nice for insurance. I also still believe that the OSU "win" will be counted in at least a small way should we be right on the bubble - might bump us up 1-2 slots, since we all know we should be 17-9/9-6 right now (that game is not your regular "whining about the refs" - the game was absolutely stolen from us in a once in 5-10 year event).

L - At Wisconsin. Rock fight. We lose a very tight game. 58-56

W - Michigan. Team gets its mojo back. RAC is rockin. 68-64

L- At Penn State. Nits seek revenge and get it. We lose convincingly. 71-59

W- At Minnesota. Game is very competitive and close. 64-60

W - Northwestern. RAC rocks team to likely NCAA bid. 67-62.

19-12 / 11-9 going into Big 10 tourney.

Reactions: JavaDunk18
At 19-13 we would be 13-13 vs real competition and 11-13 if you don’t count Minnesota.

Last year we were in Dayton at 18-13.
If you don’t count real competition what would Big East teams records be. That conference has cruds like DePaul / Butler / GTown andSt John’s. Talk about a pathetic horrid bottom of league. 🤮

L - At Wisconsin. Rock fight. We lose a very tight game. 58-56

W - Michigan. Team gets its mojo back. RAC is rockin. 68-64

L- At Penn State. Nits seek revenge and get it. We lose convincingly. 71-59

W- At Minnesota. Game is very competitive and close. 64-60

W - Northwestern. RAC rocks team to likely NCAA bid. 67-62.

19-12 / 11-9 going into Big 10 tourney.
Better chance of win this Saturday. They ain't winning against Northwestern with prayer NCAA bid on line.

Will defer a bit to @bac2therac here…

I think we want to be careful hanging out hat on the NET. I think it is used by the committee more for SOS purposes.

I don’t think the committee will fall for teams playing to the NeT beating weak teams by 30 instead of 15.

If we finish 19-13 we would have the same record as last year of 18-13 with the only difference 1 extra Q4 cupcake.

Same exact record really. Are the schedules that much different?

I think we want to be careful hanging out hat on the NET. I think it is used by the committee more for SOS purposes.

I don’t think the committee will fall for teams playing to the NeT beating weak teams by 30 instead of 15.
It’s hard to know. I imagine there is some level of NET where they would be hard pressed to leave a team out. What does it say about your sorting tool if you leave out #20 for example? That said, in any situation where we’re really sweating the NET won’t be THAT high

What would our NeT be if we took the 5 35+ point victory and made them 20?

I’ll bet we would be in high 40s or low 50s

Net is garbage mainly but its better to have a good one.

19 wins and RU is getting in

At Purdue
At Northwestern
Indiana
Michigan State
Maryland

Add a possible additional win vs either Northwestern or Wisconsin

It’s hard to know. I imagine there is some level of NET where they would be hard pressed to leave a team out. What does it say about your sorting tool if you leave out #20 for example? That said, in any situation where we’re really sweating the NET won’t be THAT high

Theres always on in the 30s...Utah State this year..devoid of anything

At Purdue
At Northwestern
Indiana
Michigan State
Maryland

No way we get in if we finish 8 or below in conference

At Purdue
At Northwestern
Indiana
Michigan State
Maryland

I think I said that. The issue becomes Dayton

Other thing that has me concerned is 3 of last 5 are against teams that we are fighting against to get a bid. I know there isn’t a cap on a conference but Michigan Wisconsin and PSU are all in the vicinity. If we can’t get 1 of them we be in trouble.

I look at Michigan and Wisconsins schedule. I’d think we need to be bare minimum 1 game ahead of them just to be even. Especially Michigan. 18-14 RU not getting in over 18-15 Michigan or 18-14 or 18-15 wisconsin

Michigan will not get in at 18-15...have no big wins like last year even with the sweep of NW

Realize RU has wins at Big 10 #1, at #2, #3 , #4

Reactions: Scangg
Other thing that has me concerned is 3 of last 5 are against teams that we are fighting against to get a bid. I know there isn’t a cap on a conference but Michigan Wisconsin and PSU are all in the vicinity. If we can’t get 1 of them we be in trouble.

I look at Michigan and Wisconsins schedule. I’d think we need to be bare minimum 1 game ahead of them just to be even. Especially Michigan. 18-14 RU not getting in over 18-15 Michigan or 18-14 or 18-15 wisconsin

Wisconsin is likely in.

There are really only maybe 6 schools to worry about and id only be worried about North Carolina

I think we're f'd. I know we've been in this situation in the past, but in the past we had two guys who were legit scoring threats and could take over a game. Somewhat inconsistent but threats for sure. I just don't get the same feeling this year. I wouldn't' be surprised if Wisconsin buries us this weekend. And for sure I think PSU will in their building.

It would be the first time this year Wisconsin buried any team with a pulse

ADVERTISEMENT