ADVERTISEMENT

PREVIEW/PREDICITONS: Rutgers Hosts Princeton in B1G/IVY Rivalry

Lex Knapp

All Conference
Staff
Mar 27, 2018
Rutgers wrestling returns to action tonight at the Jersey Mike's Arena, where the Scarlet Knights will host the Princeton Tigers, in what has become a fan-favorite rivalry. The B1G-Ivy Rivalry returns after a year hiatus, where the Ivy League season was cancelled due to Covid-19. Princeton won the last meeting, 20 - 13 in 2020, which ended a 23-match win streak for Rutgers in the rivalry.

There are some huge toss-up bouts in this dual meet, which can be the deciding factor for either team. This should be a fun match for the New Jersey wrestling fans, and TKR has broken this dual meet down, bout-by-bout, giving you our thoughts and predictions on the Garden State's best wrestling rivalry!

Click the link below for more!

If the match is in hand by heavyweight why not give Hamilton.a match against 6-5 Matt Cover. Seems like a great match for him to get a win. His redshirt was burned only for that one tournament?

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I get Pessimistically is not optimistic. But, why is everyone else down on our team. Preseason expectations were really high with 6 AAs. That may have been too optimistic. We can still get 3 and dominate Princeton as Lex predicts. Let's not lower expectations and let's have faith in our guys. If this is a close match, I would worry for the rest of the season. We can't let Princeton get close to us. Go RU!

Yeah Lex is definitely going with the best case scenario here and has us winning every close match/toss up.

Some areas for concern/discussion:

149: MVB vs. Keller - Keller has never been great nor is he having a good season, but he beat MVB last time they faced each other. I know it was a few years ago but some people are just bad match-ups for certain people, but let's hope MVB stays hot and rolls him.

174: O’Neill vs. Dugan - I know O'Neill won the match-up earlier this year, but let's be honest he has down right bad recently. He's 1-9 in his last 10 (2 of the loses were to a HS senior who isn't even #1/#2 at his weight and 3 were to below average college wrestlers so it wasn't even like it was a gauntlet with 10 studs) and I don't think there can realistically be any confidence in him winning here. I hope to be surprised, but I certainly can't count on him winning given his recent performances. I hope he proves me wrong though.

184: Poz vs. Stefanik - We have no idea what Poz we get tonight and this once again could be one one of the most pivotal matches of the dual especially if O'Neill loses. Hoping he bounces back but I have no idea what expect here TBH.

197: Bulsak vs. Stout - Stout is a very good freshman and beat Hoffman (OSU) earlier this season. Bulsak should win given his experience and strength, but it's certainly not a given since he is 2-4 in his last 6 matches. Again, if O'Neill and Poz lose this will more than likely be match and we haven't fared very well in these situations unfortunately.

I get Pessimistically is not optimistic. But, why is everyone else down on our team. Preseason expectations were really high with 6 AAs. That may have been too optimistic. We can still get 3 and dominate Princeton as Lex predicts. Let's not lower expectations and let's have faith in our guys. If this is a close match, I would worry for the rest of the season. We can't let Princeton get close to us. Go RU!
My predictions are not based on optimism nor pessimism but on probabilities. I often hope I am wrong but more often am right. I'm picking Bulsak and O'Neil to win and that might be optimistic given the recent past. Clark is a toss-up. Olivieri has a good chance if healthy but I just don't know if he is. We can count on Seabass and probably MVB if he doesn't lay an egg. I really hope to see Poz back on his game. However, how could anyone know when we don't get reports or any indication of injury or degree of injury? If Poz has an injury that has been affecting his performance, I hope he doesn't wrestle tonight and risk making it worse. I think Bulsak can get back on track and hope he does.

Regarding the preseason expectations, that was during the perennial manic stage for this forum.

Reactions: KidDagger
If the match is in hand by heavyweight why not give Hamilton.a match against 6-5 Matt Cover. Seems like a great match for him to get a win. His redshirt was burned only for that one tournament?
The hard part is that Boone desperately needs mat time and development as well. It's not like he's Seabass and absolutely dominating his opponents. He is our guy for this season/post season so they need to let him go whenever he can in order to find his groove.

If anything, we could probably see Hamilton tomorrow against Columbia.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT