ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Princeton beats Rutgers Wrestling, 18-15

Ref was bad. But he did not lose match for us. It didn’t matter between Angelo or Santos as Kolo would have at least gotten bonus periods. Yes Janzer loss hurt and Pagano was a great surprise. Correnti had better chance getting the fall. Aguilar and Van Brill avoided bonus points. Donner was asleep at the start and had a nice comeback. Just can’t give up 2 off the whistle. Princeton was more aggressive early in the bouts.

All in all we wrestled well and needed everything to go our way to win. A 5-5 split represented the season.

We have a chance to sneak a guy on the podium. Team improved from the start of the season and excited for next year.

I don't understand why Correnti went down in the third period with the team needing a pin. Perhaps we were going to lose on criteria anyhow? $$$$

Most likely to reach the podium IMO:

1. Alvarez
2. Pagano
3. Janzer
4. Aguilar

Hoping Donner and Grello can sneak into the tournament

Doubt JoJo, Angelo, MVB, and whoever is at heavyweight qualify

Most likely to reach the podium IMO:

1. Alvarez
2. Pagano
3. Janzer
4. Aguilar

Hoping Donner and Grello can sneak into the tournament

Doubt JoJo, Angelo, MVB, and whoever is at heavyweight qualify
Id bet Jojo has better results just going 149 and wrestling off Angelo instead of not making weight...then we coulda had Lipari 141 too

Id bet Jojo has better results just going 149 and wrestling off Angelo instead of not making weight...then we coulda had Lipari 141 too

I don’t think he’s big or strong enough to compete at 149. I’d be interested to know with guys close to the program how well he does against Alvarez, Santos, and Angelo.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
Needed those Donner and Janzer matches to win. Not making weight when you have all day is beyond puzzling. Are we sure JoJo didn't as it seems very odd?

Reactions: brentx35 and obrats
Maybe. He seems undersized for a 141 but he could be lacking energy from the weight cut

I think if Correnti pinned it would come down to total point criteria and Princeton had 49 to our 47 I think. Both teams had a pin and both won 5 bouts so I think it comes down to team scoring most points

My guess too. Jojo looks big for 141, and the weight cut could be a factor this year...
It’s def a factor if he can’t even make weight... he should just wrestle at a weight where he doesn’t need to focus on making the cut and focus on his technique

Not redshirting Jojo turned out to be a very, very bad decision in so many levels.

Not redshirting Jojo turned out to be a very, very bad decision in so many levels.
Unless they RS him and his grades fell apart and he was ineligible down the road or failed out.Way more went into wrestling Jojo then just on the mat things.If he was in RS and missed weight at multiple opens people would be saying he should've started because he needed to be around the coaches and guys more

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
Unless they RS him and his grades fell apart and he was ineligible down the road or failed out.Way more went into wrestling Jojo then just on the mat things.If he was in RS and missed weight at multiple opens people would be saying he should've started because he needed to be around the coaches and guys more
How do you miss weight at multiple opens? You show up on your own, pay the fee, and wrestle at the weight you can make. A few matches at 149 would have been very helpful to his overall situation. Thanks. $$$$

How do you miss weight at multiple opens? You show up on your own, pay the fee, and wrestle at the weight you can make. A few matches at 149 would have been very helpful to his overall situation. Thanks. $$$$
Ask Decatur he did it multiple times this year.Missing weight is when you register at a weight and show up and miss by .2 or so.Yes you can move up but you still missed weight to the staff.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Same with Jackson Turley. What was the point in not redshirting him this year he barely wrestled.

Easy to say this now. But at the beginning of the season, he was the best option at 165. Coaches did not realize he would have so much trouble making 165. They thought they could get 1 year out of him at 165. So if they redshirted him this season and he is behind Grello at 174 next season they only get 3 years out of him. There is more to redshirting than just the current year.

If JoJo kills it next 3 years no one will remember this year

There is precedence for this as well: Kerry McCoy went 19-17 his freshman year, and then lost 1 match the rest of his career. So while it may not be likely or common, it's certainly possible to jump levels in such a fashion.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT