ADVERTISEMENT

Pritzlaff

Boroughs or Dake. Let Dake finish the Olympics and get him here. That would be amazing. Also, Coleman Scott would be pretty solid pickup.

We have a good thing at RU. It may look like the sky is falling with this news, but we all knew that there was always a possibility of this happening. It's a great move for Donnie. From his standpoint, younger NJ legends who went to the Edge are now coaches (Dubuque, Tanelli, Valente, Grey). He's the older guy of all of them. It's time for him to be at the helm of a program. Unfortunately, the timing didn't play out for RU.

Anyhow, I think there will be people interested in the position. What's not to like about what we have? Grade A facility, in a wrestling hotspot, great assistants, great incoming class and roster, passionate fan base, etc.

Let’s hope you’re right and we grab a top level assistant.

Boroughs or Dake. Let Dake finish the Olympics and get him here. That would be amazing. Also, Coleman Scott would be pretty solid pickup.

We have a good thing at RU. It may look like the sky is falling with this news, but we all knew that there was always a possibility of this happening. It's a great move for Donnie. From his standpoint, younger NJ legends who went to the Edge are now coaches (Dubuque, Tanelli, Valente, Grey). He's the older guy of all of them. It's time for him to be at the helm of a program. Unfortunately, the timing didn't play out for RU.

Anyhow, I think there will be people interested in the position. What's not to like about what we have? Grade A facility, in a wrestling hotspot, great assistants, great incoming class and roster, passionate fan base, etc.
Do you think Dake will be done competing after this Olympics or will he want to go to LA in 2028? He'll be 37. Dake would be a great hire. Burroughs doesn't seem interested in leaving South Jersey and may want to compete in worlds once more, but who knows. Definitely start with those 2 and see.

Reactions: njsportsphan

I just don't trust the team to make a coaching hire to excite the fanbase, potential recruits, etc. Prove me wrong and land someone like a Coleman Scott. Doing something like promoting Pollard to the main assistant role will be a big time mistake.

RU seemed to strike out the last time the looked for an assistant coach.
I share the pessimistic view like many here.
I think Pritz leaving was the worst case scenario for RU
They can rebound....we will see.

Does Jordan Wood want to coach?
He is working with our heavyweights.....
Not a champion but seems like he could be a good hire.
how about Zach Rey (from hopatcong)
Maybe pluck a wrestler that Buxton trained (See above)

I just don't trust the team to make a coaching hire to excite the fanbase, potential recruits, etc. Prove me wrong and land someone like a Coleman Scott. Doing something like promoting Pollard to the main assistant role will be a big time mistake.
I think you're right. I don't expect Rutgers to seize the opportunity. Just like in football, they have a history of promoting within or hiring an assistant from somewhere else. We'll see how serious Hobbs is and how much he will support the program. Any assistant coach must have equal or better qualifications than Pritzlaff. No buddy system. And that just gets us back to the status quo. However, I don't expect anyone big to come for an assistant role. I've never called for Goodale's replacement and I have a hard time doing it. The man is passionate and loves what he does. Now, here's the but... now is the time to make a big move. Dake, Burroughs, or any other person at that level will not come to work under Goodale. Make Goodale head coach emeritus and give him a meaningful role (I don't know what), but it would be a kick in the teeth to fire him. Then it's possible that a top guy might come if offered full authority to build the program as he sees fit. Look at the Cowboys. They just hired a great guy who has already been building his staff with great talent. That's how you build a program. Recruiting will immediately turn around. Hobbs has to be serious. If he fails to seize this opportunity, we'll know what he's worth. Something has to be signaled before the kids start transferring. They need to see something positive, not just the loss of Donnie.

I would look into luring Kellen Russell away from Cornell. He is very qualified to replace Donny in the room. He is a New Jersey guy. Yes, I understand this is a lateral career move at best, and that he would have
to get paid to do it. You just never know until you start a conversation. $$$$

Last edited:
Reactions: elvis7
What's a little off? Tanelli left end of April. Columbia posted the opening 5/7. He applied, interviewed, and now accepted. There is no set time for coaching changes. Koll left Cornell for Stanford in May, and then left Stanford for UNC in Aug. Ayers left Princeton for Stanford in Sept. Not everything is a conspiracy. He turned down MD in 2019, so everyone knew he had HC aspirations, but it had to be close to home, so that left Rutgers, Princeton, Lehigh, Columbia, UPenn, and Drexel.
You misinterpreted my response. My focus was not on Donnie (although it has to do with his departure), but the relationship between AA/Rutgers and the ink that is still pretty much wet on his Princeton contract.

I would look into luring Kellen Russell away from Cornell. He is very qualified to replace Donny in the room. He is a New Jersey guy. Yes, I understand this is a lateral career move at best, and that he would have
to get paid to do it. You just never know until you start a conversation. $$$$
He was just elevated to AHC in April. Really great relationship up there between him and Grey

Where is bluemountain67 and why has he been missing for nearly three weeks? Been wondering about Crackers too - missed the entire last season.
Pessimistically - I lost my enthusiasm for posting. Hopefully, Coach Goodale prepared for Coach Pritzlaff leaving and has a plan to hire an outstanding coach. Many of the names proposed are intriguing. Scott, Hahn, and Russell would be home runs. Wood is an interesting option. Is he still competing for the Lehigh Club? Even if they were available, we would need some big donors to step up to get Dake or JB. What's the plan for Rivera after the Olympics? Don't think it would look good for the staff to be without national champ or multi-time All American.

Reactions: elvis7
Once upon a time, we would have never guessed we were a destination spot for a guy like Donnie p. Goodale made the call, and it worked out!
No clue what's gonna happen next or who we are looking for but I'm gonna place my faith in goodie!

Reactions: TRU2RU
I think Zach Rey would be a good fit, even if for just one season , ncaa champ, local guy , close with buxton and it would make sense to have an ncaa champ roll with your arguably 2 best guys in Slav and Poz …

Long term I know Goodale is a fixture in Rutgers wrestling but it might be time to try and throw the kitchen sink at Dake post Olympics, that’s the real program game changer . Issue with that is Rutgers administration and Kyle Dakes world beliefs couldn’t be further apart , is Rutgers still making it so all students get vaccinated? Bc that alone probably rules Dake out as an option

I think Zach Rey would be a good fit, even if for just one season , ncaa champ, local guy , close with buxton and it would make sense to have an ncaa champ roll with your arguably 2 best guys in Slav and Poz …

Long term I know Goodale is a fixture in Rutgers wrestling but it might be time to try and throw the kitchen sink at Dake post Olympics, that’s the real program game changer . Issue with that is Rutgers administration and Kyle Dakes world beliefs couldn’t be further apart , is Rutgers still making it so all students get vaccinated? Bc that alone probably rules Dake out as an option
Haha great point. That's where Boroughs comes.

Thankfully they toned it down. Cornell actually had the same policy as well. He didn't leave for that reason.

Reactions: Bobbynieds
Pessimistically - I lost my enthusiasm for posting. Hopefully, Coach Goodale prepared for Coach Pritzlaff leaving and has a plan to hire an outstanding coach. Many of the names proposed are intriguing. Scott, Hahn, and Russell would be home runs. Wood is an interesting option. Is he still competing for the Lehigh Club? Even if they were available, we would need some big donors to step up to get Dake or JB. What's the plan for Rivera after the Olympics? Don't think it would look good for the staff to be without national champ or multi-time All American.
Well, you still follow, so don't be intimidated into silence. Looking at Pritzlaff's assistants, I can see him taking an interest in Rivera. I don't think any of the names being thrown around will come to Rutgers. The better ones would be looking for head coaching jobs. We don't really know if any of them would consider Rutgers at any level.

There are plenty of ideas being shared here, some better than others. What do you think Rutgers will actually do? I predict a hire with less credentials as Donnie. Most of us will be disappointed, but the gigglers will tell us why it's great.

• Haha
Reactions: mikemessner
And Rivera is going with him too. I know someone already mentioned, but it’s true.

i dont know how much aa is making at princeton. but, whatever he's making give him 50 grand more ,and make him asst. hc

I think you're right. I don't expect Rutgers to seize the opportunity. Just like in football, they have a history of promoting within or hiring an assistant from somewhere else. We'll see how serious Hobbs is and how much he will support the program. Any assistant coach must have equal or better qualifications than Pritzlaff. No buddy system. And that just gets u
Come on now, what are the possible choices. Either you promote within or hire from outside. Just like in football? Makes zero sense. Do you mean Hobbs should hire a head coach to be an assistant here?

Come on now, what are the possible choices. Either you promote within or hire from outside. Just like in football? Makes zero sense. Do you mean Hobbs should hire a head coach to be an assistant here?
Read my earlier posts. "Do you mean Hobbs should hire a head coach to be an assistant here?" Not at all. He couldn't convince anyone with Pritzlaff-like credentials to come. If they take the simple approach of hiring an assistant or promoting from within, there will be a net loss. That is what I'm expecting. Recognizing that, the opportunity is bigger if he (Hobbs) is at all serious about advancing the program. This loss of Pritzlaff is more than just him if the Rivera rumor is true. Then, how many of the wrestlers will also follow? This is a time of crisis and deserves very serious consideration. Hobbs will be making a statement, one way or the other. There is a path to success.

I intended the football comparison to show what happens when you hire on the cheap. I've followed since Anderson (and before). How many assistant coaches from elsewhere were hired and failed? What has it been now, 50 years? Still hoping to build. The only exception has been Schiano and he was someone's assistant the first time around. Other teams have hired proven coaches.

Issue with that is Rutgers administration and Kyle Dakes world beliefs couldn’t be further apart , is Rutgers still making it so all students get vaccinated? Bc that alone probably rules Dake out as an option
[/QUOTE]

Rutgers has officially removed the vaccination requirement

I don't want to be a downer but it's hard to find a positive here. So much development and individual success was attributed directly to him.

I have no idea why he moved on but no matter the reason, I'll be cheering for Columbia and I hope he gets everything he wants from the move.

Richie said some good names interviewed already, so there is reason for optimism. Donnie has had pretty well documented promotion opportunities including the one he finally took, that should help attract other ambitious coaches.

I thought the interviews were mostly scheduled this week.
I think Richie mentioned that Coleman Scott was one of them.

But i could just be wishing

I hear ya. I was hoping to have an update by Saturday. The way RIchie made it sound was interviews were happening this week.
The job had a posting open date of 6/26/24, the job posting is available to see. I am not sure of the rules, but perhaps "official" interviews are not allowed to happen until the job is posted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT