ADVERTISEMENT

Program

I will respond to this in more depth, but for now, here's an example of what I would like to see if either exists.
-Goodale's formal, documented mission statement.
-Hobbs' formal, documented mission statement or statement of support.

They can be called visions or any other buzzwords, but should express what the leader is committed to accomplishing.
I'll skip the giggles that seem to irritate you as I'm not much of a giggler or an LOLer, but your first, voiced concern is over a mission statement??

Reaction Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Yep an “official mission statement” is sure gonna pull in those elite recruits.

The most important thing a recruit looks for in a school isn’t NIL money, good training partners, or good facilities. It’s actually a well written mission statement.

not for nothing but you guys are proving PHP's point about having a rational discussion about the program. you are mocking his ask by correlating an important part of the coaches responsibilities with a management tool.

the mission statement would be somewhat irrelevant to recruits.

But to management, the mission statement would likely include a section dedicated to recruiting that the Coach(es) should be measured against, and its up to management (Hobbs) to determine if they are meeting what they set out to do.

I have my 2022 review with my boss tomorrow, and while I didn't have a 'mission statement' my goals I have to enter into the corporate system could be considered my mission statement for the year, and my raise and bonus are measured against meeting them - why shouldn't our coaches?

bluemountain: I was going to try, but I really can't put up with the stupidity of these people. I don't thin we have any chance of discussing this without them coming in with their childishness to derail the discussion. It amazes me that there is such poor understanding of what it takes to establish a process. These people couldn't possibly work in a corporate environment in anything other than an entry level position. A formal statement of purpose, regardless of what it is called, is important to establish intent and have something to work from. All the goals and objectives to make it work fall under it. It's much more complex and extensive. If Goodale's mentality is anything like these guys, nothing will ever improve. I'm not going to go through the trouble of defining a process approach when the only other participation is at that level of stupidity.

Last edited:
not for nothing but you guys are proving PHP's point about having a rational discussion about the program. you are mocking his ask by correlating an important part of the coaches responsibilities with a management tool.

But to management, the mission statement would likely include a section dedicated to recruiting that the Coach(es) should be measured against, and its up to management (Hobbs) to determine if they are meeting what they set out to do.

I have my 2022 review with my boss tomorrow, and while I didn't have a 'mission statement' my goals I have to enter into the corporate system could be considered my mission statement for the year, and my raise and bonus are measured against meeting them - why shouldn't our coaches?
Rags, where have you been? Nice to know there's a grown up here. Can you imagine those guys working where you do?

Nice, rags. I was going to cover objective and performance measurements and link to Hobbs later down the process. I was trying to move slowly through this foreign concept.

Every year I had to formalize my goals and objectives. At years end I had to submit a report about my performance against my stated goals and objectives, This was reviewed by upper management and used as part of my annual performance review. Why should it be any different in a sporting environment where a coach is being paid?

Reactions: Rutgers56
Every year I had to formalize my goals and objectives. At years end I had to submit a report about my performance against my stated goals and objectives, This was reviewed by upper management and used as part of my annual performance review. Why should it be any different in a sporting environment where a coach is being paid?
Our coaches have to do the same. You don't think at the end of the season Goodie doesn't have a meeting with Hobbs. Goodie evaluates his wrestlers and coaches.

How did they perform in the classroom
How did they perform on the mat
How did they conduct themselves in the community.

How did our caches do in recruiting
How did they teach in the wrestling room
Did your group (each coach has a set of kids) meet their GPA goal
How did your group conduct themselves outside the wrestling room.
Where do we need to improve.
What do we need to make these improvements.

bluemountain: I was going to try, but I really can't put up with the stupidity of these people. I don't thin we have any chance of discussing this without them coming in with their childishness to derail the discussion. It amazes me that there is such poor understanding of what it takes to establish a process. These people couldn't possibly work in a corporate environment in anything other than an entry level position. A formal statement of purpose, regardless of what it is called, is important to establish intent and have something to work from. All the goals and objectives to make it work fall under it. It's much more complex and extensive. If Goodale's mentality is anything like these guys, nothing will ever improve. I'm not going to go through the trouble of defining a process approach when the only other participation is at that level of stupidity.

I understand. You must feel like you’re bearing your head against a wall. It is not fun to be attacked for asking good questions and advocating for improvement.

We all want the program to get better. The coaches are good guys and we all like them. That doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be held accountable. This is a performance business. Asking for an objective examination of the program is part of being a passionate fan.

Nick and Anthony showed us success and that a top 10 finish is possible at Rutgers. We want that feeling back. Unfortunately we have regressed and will be challenged to be in the top 20 this year.

A lot has happened in the last few years - Leonardis leaving - Ashnault leaving - Suriano transferring - leaving the NJRTC partnership with Princeton - the
co-presidents of the SKWC resigning - failing to hire a big man coach. There may be valid reasons to this stuff. I don’t know. It is not wrong to ask why and also be a supportive fan. A good fan is not blindly loyal.

I just wish we could share differences of opinion without attacking each other.

I understand. You must feel like you’re bearing your head against a wall. It is not fun to be attacked for asking good questions and advocating for improvement.

We all want the program to get better. The coaches are good guys and we all like them. That doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be held accountable. This is a performance business. Asking for an objective examination of the program is part of being a passionate fan.

Nick and Anthony showed us success and that a top 10 finish is possible at Rutgers. We want that feeling back. Unfortunately we have regressed and will be challenged to be in the top 20 this year.

A lot has happened in the last few years - Leonardis leaving - Ashnault leaving - Suriano transferring - leaving the NJRTC partnership with Princeton - the
co-presidents of the SKWC resigning - failing to hire a big man coach. There may be valid reasons to this stuff. I don’t know. It is not wrong to ask why and also be a supportive fan. A good fan is not blindly loyal.

I just wish we could share differences of opinion without attacking each other.
Leonardis leaving was his decision. Maybe to be a full time dad
Ashnault decision was his decision to focus on himself.
Suriano has transferred from every place he went to. Back at ASU
Rutgers leaving from NJRTC wasn't working out.
Co-Presidents resigning. They are still involved with SKWC.
Big Man Coach- Every person interviewed for the job said no. Goodie tried to hire a big man coach and a big man Resident Athlete.

Can we move on from the same questions that keep coming up.

Last edited:
Leonard's leaving was his decision. Maybe to be a full time dad
Ashnault decision was his decision to focus on himself.
Suriano has transferred from every place he went to. Back at ASU
Rutgers leaving from NJRTC wasn't working out.
Co-Presidents resigning. They are still involved with SKWC.
Big Man Coach- Every person interviewed for the job said no. Goodie tried to hire a big man coach and a big man Resident Athlete.

Can we move on from the same questions that keep coming up.
It's that they don't like the answers so they keep asking the same ones. It's society now bitch bitch bitch me me me . Everyone is important and matters nowadays

Reactions: SCNJ and Leonard23
mikemessner, I believe you are close to the program. Do you believe we have taken steps backward or that the program is getting better and will be a consistent top 10 program? What are the reasons for your brief?

Just trying to objectively understand what has happened and what can be reasonably expected in the future.

This is rich that the 🤡🤡🤡 constantly attacking and name-calling posters, ignoring responses because it doesn't fit their agenda, calling for our coaches to be replaced, and constantly ripping the program are now crying 🐺🐺🐺.

go away gtfo GIF

Reactions: SCNJ
I regularly talk to friends who were on the team, some on the team, and some of the staff. Sometimes questions pop up here that I think are solid and like to go to them for answers.

I think a problem here is that the people on this forum often either assume something isn't happening that is or asking about it in the wrong forum.

There are a handful of events that involve the staff throughout the year. To be honest, I really encourage the people here to go to as many as they can. The staff is open and willing to answer questions. It could go a long way to assuaging your fears around the program.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
mikemessner, I believe you are close to the program. Do you believe we have taken steps backward or that the program is getting better and will be a consistent top 10 program? What are the reasons for your brief?

Just trying to objectively understand what has happened and what can be reasonably expected in the future.
The program is getting BETTER.

I regularly talk to friends who were on the team, some on the team, and some of the staff. Sometimes questions pop up here that I think are solid and like to go to them for answers.

I think a problem here is that the people on this forum often either assume something isn't happening that is or asking about it in the wrong forum.

There are a handful of events that involve the staff throughout the year. To be honest, I really encourage the people here to go to as many as they can. The staff is open and willing to answer questions. It could a long way to assuaging your fears around the peogram.
Hope this helps.
Exactly.

Reactions: SCNJ
The program is getting BETTER.
For part of the last match, I sat with one of goodies first big time recruits and he thinks the team is doing great.
Said straight up that the big ten is a grinder and this happens from time to time.
That we had a lot of young guys in the lineup or waiting in the wings. For whatever that is worth.

What I see here is a combination of a few people who are open to discussion and several who are convinced no discussion is needed and don't want to see it happening.

To those who recognized where I was going, I was only at the top of the process and got attacked before I got to objectives, how they might be measured, and how it all connects.

Some here think silly gifs and profanities are meaningful. Here's something that very well demonstrates how I view those people: Leonard

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
What I see here is a combination of a few people who are open to discussion and several who are convinced no discussion is needed and don't want to see it happening.

To those who recognized where I was going, I was only at the top of the process and got attacked before I got to objectives, how they might be measured, and how it all connects.

Some here think silly gifs and profanities are meaningful. Here's something that very well demonstrates how I view those people: Leonard
Angry Gordon Ramsay GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Sorry, being critical of the program is fine. There are plenty of people here who do it. When you ask ridiculous questions and make ridiculous comments repeatedly about things like mission statements and wanting to know specific and detailed information about how many minutes each SKWC member spends in the room (as if any sports organization pro or otherwise makes their workout logs public), and then take shots at other posters calling them children, snowflakes, or whatever and then play the victim saying it’s impossible to have a rational conversation, then you lose all credibility and aren’t worth the time to respond to.

Do you honestly believe a D1 coach doesn’t have a plan for the future, and do you think that is kept secret from recruits when the pitch is made?

It's that they don't like the answers so they keep asking the same ones. It's society now bitch bitch bitch me me me . Everyone is important and matters nowadays
This is actually what is going on here. Not “I haven’t gotten the answers” or “everyone besides me is a child”

There are enough people here that 1. Are close to this program or 2. Having enough coaching/wrestling knowledge to provide guidelines to the questions are being asked. Some here don’t like the answers and think either there’s a conspiracy or that this coaching staff is youth rec level of disorganized or clueless. After a while enough is enough.

I still maintain my theory that PHP is not actually a Rutgers fan but posing as one to derail threads and get people fired up. He’s doing a decent job of it too.

You just have no idea how dumb you are.
To each his own, but no need to resort to name calling.
These people couldn't possibly work in a corporate environment in anything other than an entry level position . A formal statement of purpose, regardless of what it is called, is important to establish intent and have something to work from. All the goals and objectives to make it work fall under it. It's much more complex and extensive. If Goodale's mentality is anything like these guys, nothing will ever improve. I'm not going to go through the trouble of defining a process approach when the only other participation is at that level of stupidity.
You are very incorrect. What I find amusing in the corporate environment is companies hire professional agencies for hundreds of thousands of dollars to create mission, vision, and value statements that hardly anyone even knows about. My company is one of the largest employers in the state and I'm willing to bet hardly anyone can come close to reciting the mission, vision, or value statements. Corporate America thinks they need to spend money to force words into employees brains and project public perception that looks rosy instead of proper training, adequate stafting, and addressing deficiencies appropriately. Throw some money at a shiny wrapping but dont address the problems of the contents inside the shiny, wrapped box. That's what I find so frustrating but amusing as the model just doesnt work.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: rubigtimenow

Are you really that angry as to equate yourself to the lunatic in the link? Obviously someone wanted to address her issues and was willing to meet face to face to discuss them. And THAT is what he was subjected to? Public screaming and obscenities? She needs to work on her anger management and communication skills.

Are you really that angry as to equate yourself to the lunatic in the link? Obviously someone wanted to address her issues and was willing to meet face to face to discuss them. And THAT is what he was subjected to? Public screaming and obscenities? She needs to work on her anger management and communication skills.
I thought it was rather obvious that I was equating the lunatic to Leonard and his ilk.

• Haha
Do you honestly believe a D1 coach doesn’t have a plan for the future, and do you think that is kept secret from recruits when the pitch is made?
As stated previously I am aware that the coaches have objectives. My point was that they are common and why do people on this forum think i'ts funny that they exist for a wrestling program.

Reactions: DUForever
To each his own, but no need to resort to name calling.
If you look back to the first interactions I've had with those guys, you'll see who resorted first to name-calling. Furthermore, I would not have called Leonard dumb without the proof he provided.
You are very incorrect. What I find amusing in the corporate environment is companies hire professional agencies for hundreds of thousands of dollars to create mission, vision, and value statements that hardly anyone even knows about. My company is one of the largest employers in the state and I'm willing to bet hardly anyone can come close to reciting the mission, vision, or value statements. Corporate America thinks they need to spend money to force words into employees brains and project public perception that looks rosy instead of proper training, adequate stafting, and addressing deficiencies appropriately. Throw some money at a shiny wrapping but dont address the problems of the contents inside the shiny, wrapped box. That's what I find so frustrating but amusing as the model just doesnt work.
I like what you said here. Is there any possibility that we could have a discussion about it? If so, send your email address to Bill and ask him to forward it to me. For all I know, I may have worked for the same company. Misuse of the top-down messages incriminates your company's leadership, not the intended purpose.

• Haha
As stated previously I am aware that the coaches have objectives. My point was that they are common and why do people on this forum think i'ts funny that they exist for a wrestling program.
We all know they exist. Messner said what it was. But that answer wasn’t good enough for the guy who asked

Thanks. I understand your opinion. Can you list the specific facts that speak to the program getting better. What are the results that you can cite that the program is getting better?
This has been discussed ad nauseum but if you look at the team compared to last year, it hasn’t gotten better. If you look at it in chunks of 3-5 years, this team has never been better. Big picture, the team is on the rise. We’ve had multiple all Americans in 6 straight seasons. Tell that to any Rutgers fan in pre-2014 and they’d tell you you’re nuts.

There’s a young core to build around now. We’ve landed some blue chip prospects in both high school recruiting and in the portal. The AA streak probably ends this year and everyone will tell you we’ve taken a step backwards but progress isn’t always linear and as long as the downward trend turns around sooner than later, the progress can continue.

Looking forward to opinions being updated based on what we witnessed today. Amazing that the “we’re so young” excuse satisfies people here. Who’s fault is it that RU is relying on frosh and sophs?

Looking forward to opinions being updated based on what we witnessed today. Amazing that the “we’re so young” excuse satisfies people here. Who’s fault is it that RU is relying on frosh and sophs?
Don't you know the answer to that question by now? It is always the fans' fault at Rutgers, never coaching.

Don't you know the answer to that question by now? It is always the fans' fault at Rutgers, never coaching.
For what it’s worth, a lot of people are on Pollards case, yet Soldano has been our best wrestler and Boone has taken huge strides.

It was a bad first session, a decent second session, and as silly as it sounds the first few rounds of the national tournament might be easier than this weekend. Wouldn’t be surprised to see any of Peterson, Heilman, Soldano or Boone to go on a nice run. Even Olivieri can do damage if he can qualify.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT