ADVERTISEMENT

Program

My 2 cents - what Goodie has accomplished is nothing short of amazing. He is great! My opinion is that the staff needs some geographical diversity and youth. Donny is the middle weight coach. They need a light weight coach that will draw in the likes of Anthony Knox. A selling factor for Glory and Prin was Joe D. They also need a Hwy Coach that will draw the likes of Jimmy McMullen.

Personally, i see VA Tech, NC State, Pitt (regionally) Illinois, Minny, Wisky (nationally) are our comps - how do we consistently close the gap?

Hire JO when he retires as the Lehigh Valley connection as the light weight coach and then seek out a WPIAL / Ohio / Illinois 174-Hwy Coach.

The reality is that Private Schools kids have historically chosen to go elsewhere. My feeling is that the recruiting net needs to be extended to the Lehigh Valley, Central Pa, WPIAL, OH & IL. Our focus can not be 100% NJ. Perhaps, the staff is already pursing this strategy? Maybe the starters should only settle in as 45% NJ? *** i do love the all NJ starting roster but perhaps there is a better mouse trap?

If the school and state are not attracting national recruits, then the staff needs to be impossible to ignore. The RAC and facilities are there but something is missing bc we do not have a national reach.

with that being said of the future - This year's squad is a bunch of fighters ! Its a long, exhausting year and one meet doesn't make a season. I m optimistic and confident that this crew will continue the trajectory of years past!!

Reactions: Loyal-Son
My 2 cents - what Goodie has accomplished is nothing short of amazing. He is great! My opinion is that the staff needs some geographical diversity and youth. Donny is the middle weight coach. They need a light weight coach that will draw in the likes of Anthony Knox. A selling factor for Glory and Prin was Joe D. They also need a Hwy Coach that will draw the likes of Jimmy McMullen.
We have Rivera for Knox. Jimmy went to VTech for football. He had wrestling offers to Michigan, Rutgers and Penn state.
Personally, i see VA Tech, NC State, Pitt (regionally) Illinois, Minny, Wisky (nationally) are our comps - how do we consistently close the gap?
Money. Teams are offering Scholarships with NIL.
Hire JO when he retires as the Lehigh Valley connection as the light weight coach and then seek out a WPIAL / Ohio / Illinois 174-Hwy Coach.

The reality is that Private Schools kids have historically chosen to go elsewhere. My feeling is that the recruiting net needs to be extended to the Lehigh Valley, Central Pa, WPIAL, OH & IL. Our focus can not be 100% NJ. Perhaps, the staff is already pursing this strategy? Maybe the starters should only settle in as 45% NJ? *** i do love the all NJ starting roster but perhaps there is a better mouse trap?
They have been recruiting PA hard this year. I think we will see more PA wrestlers on the team.
If the school and state are not attracting national recruits, then the staff needs to be impossible to ignore. The RAC and facilities are there but something is missing bc we do not have a national reach.

with that being said of the future - This year's squad is a bunch of fighters ! Its a long, exhausting year and one meet doesn't make a season. I m optimistic and confident that this crew will continue the trajectory of years past!!

In short, the only solution is NIL $? Ugh . College athletics is a crazy new world

Great to hear to Rivera but he is not on the staff. he is a huge plus! hopefully , he sticks around long term!

I was referring to the "Jimmys of the recruiting world " - need a upper weight full time coach

Ex Illinios - Poeta, Ruth,, Hunter, IMAR all on staff ...

Reactions: bluemountain1967
Okay, that's a fairly big part of the overall process. How's it going? What is being done differently to make it better? Leonard just says we need better talent and makes excuses for why we don't. Has he ever suggested anything to make it more successful? I suspect he's been saying the same thing for a decade and will for another decade while watching nothing change. I'm more interested in what can be done to make the program more attractive to those recruits, which involves another aspect of the overall process. Leonard can only tell us why we can't. He's proven that.
All you guys who want better recruits should just pony up some more cash instead of blaming Goody...only cash is gonna change this program ....why would a top 5 recruit come here for anything other then a great cash incentive ....let's be real ...we ain't PSU ,Iowa or others so without that history we ain't getting those guys you all want and cry about when we don't get them ...pony up cry babies .

I don't believe NIL money is the issue. It is just the most recent excuse. Before it was facilities and scholarships. Plus, Rutgers doesn't support using NIL money to buy wrestlers. Rutgers has indicated that it wants to use NIL for retention and rewarding performance. In general, I doubt that many wrestling recruits immediately receive NIL money - other than for minor promotions of gear and local retail enterprises.

Suppose we had a wad of money and given to Arragona, Glasgow, Alvarez, Aguilar, Correnti, Mulligan, White, Mason, Gentile, and other top recruits. Do you believe that they would have worked out?

Theobold, Perrotti, Gravina, John Van Brill, Lewis, and Russo are examples of under-recruited kids who exceeded expectations at Rutgers and would not have been given NIL as a recruiting incentive.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mikemessner
All you guys who want better recruits should just pony up some more cash instead of blaming Goody...only cash is gonna change this program ....why would a top 5 recruit come here for anything other then a great cash incentive ....let's be real ...we ain't PSU ,Iowa or others so without that history we ain't getting those guys you all want and cry about when we don't get them ...pony up cry babies .
You’re an idiot. I will put you on ignore after your reply. Ridiculous takes and comments. Then we should just give up? No one is saying we should be PSU, Iowa, OSU, Michigan, or Ok st but no reason we cannot be Northwestern, Wisconsin, VT, NCSt, etc. We can be a 7-10 team. And btw, Ive given plenty of $. What have you given since you call everyone else out all the time? Also, learn freaking grammar. End of rant. Your act is old.

In short, the only solution is NIL $? Ugh . College athletics is a crazy new world
NIL/$ has become the deal breaker for top wrestlers. Schools are getting into bidding wars for the top wrestlers. NIL has become part of the recruiting package.
Great to hear to Rivera but he is not on the staff. he is a huge plus! hopefully , he sticks around long term!
I don't see Rivera going anywhere. Keep your eye on Adam Waters PA freshman.
I was referring to the "Jimmys of the recruiting world " - need a upper weight full time coach

Ex Illinios - Poeta, Ruth,, Hunter, IMAR all on staff ...

Reactions: LETSGORU91
We have Rivera for Knox. Jimmy went to VTech for football. He had wrestling offers to Michigan, Rutgers and Penn state.

They have been recruiting PA hard this year. I think we will see more PA wrestlers on the team.
I love hearing this about the PA recruiting. Seems to be an obvious move right in our back yard. Huge opportunity to tap into there.

Reactions: mikemessner
The all NJ starting lineup isn’t done intentionally. Not to mention Boone and Turley are out of staters, as was Bulsak and Shawver is as well. We’ve been recruiting out of state though it does need improvement.

Rivera for knox? Knox is a 4x AA mutiple time ncaa champ level recruit and future world team member , Seabass never made a final and went to Puerto Rico bc he was like 5th on the ladder here , if you think training with Seabass is enough for a guy like Knox you re delusional, kid like that needs a world medalist ncaa champ level practice partner

Rivera for knox? Knox is a 4x AA mutiple time ncaa champ level recruit and future world team member , Seabass never made a final and went to Puerto Rico bc he was like 5th on the ladder here , if you think training with Seabass is enough for a guy like Knox you re delusional, kid like that needs a world medalist ncaa champ level practice partner
Seems a little harsh with respect to Rivera’s career. He was really good, and 4X AAs don’t grow on trees.

What a condescending and douche post. Go back to living vicariously through your favorite team. I'm sure it's the highlight of your life.

Last edited:
The tone is wrong but I don’t think the content of the post is. Rivera was an elite wrestler in college but far from an all time great. Knox will probably want better training partners.

I love our guys but we do need to bring in more guys with upper echelon accolades. 4x AA is nice but we need that to supplement multi time champs.

Seems a little harsh with respect to Rivera’s career. He was really good, and 4X AAs don’t grow on trees.
Seabass was seated #1 at two different weight classes for the NCAA tournament, and the only one I know to beat Spenser Lee twice. I'd take this level of accomplishment all day long. IMO

Last edited:
Wow, I find myself agreeing with SCNJ. Rivera did beat Spencer Lee twice - quite an accomplishment. However, Rivera is not part of the staff and candidates will know that he could leave at any time as others have done.

NIL/$ has become the deal breaker for top wrestlers. Schools are getting into bidding wars for the top wrestlers. NIL has become part of the recruiting package.

I don't see Rivera going anywhere. Keep your eye on Adam Waters PA freshman.
The NIL is big and only becoming a bigger factor for kids. The facilities/coaching we are on par with other schools. We pass them by being able to offer more $$$ to these kids. The retention is important and I’m sure money will be set aside for that.

With that being said we can not miss on kids that we are offering big NIL packages for. We have to identify the drive/desire to be successful in college. Can not have more top recruits burning out. I don’t blame coaches for that, burning out is a part of the sport and when kids goto college it will happen. Just need to limit the number of kids. The jojo/Glasgow class killed us with kids burning out.

The tone is wrong but I don’t think the content of the post is. Rivera was an elite wrestler in college but far from an all time great. Knox will probably want better training partners.

I love our guys but we do need to bring in more guys with upper echelon accolades. 4x AA is nice but we need that to supplement multi time champs.
my bad if my tone came off wrong but yes that’s the point I’m making , im a fan of Seabass but Knox is a top level recruit , a guy that’s going to want to train with world medalist and Ncaa champ types ..if they want to land Knox they need more then just Rivera to point to as training partner

What a condescending and douche post. Go back to living vicariously through your favorite team. I'm sure it's the highlight of your life.
Ok man take a chill pill ,I’m a penn state fan but I’m born and raised in NJ and root for NJ wrestlers above everything else and I’m not dissing Seabass I’m pointing out that Rutgers need way more than him as training partners if they want to land Knox level recruit

Reactions: rubigtimenow
It wasn’t supposed to be a knock on Rivera hes great, but world medalist, ncaa champs as training partners is what will bring in the top tier recruits ….and for the record I hope Knox goes to Rutgers but they currently lacking In the elite practice partner department

Seabass was seated #1 and two different weight classes for the NCAA tournament, and the only one I know to beat Spenser Lee twice. I'd take this level of accomplishment all day long. IMO
So would I, and I’m not trying to downplay the career Rivera had. He’s without question our biggest draw without Ashnault. But stack him against the top guys at other clubs. Even if you ignore the anomaly that is Penn State, would he even be close to the top guy at any other major program? Like look at what UPenn, NYC, Arizona St, OK St, Ohio St and Iowa have.

You’re an idiot. I will put you on ignore after your reply. Ridiculous takes and comments. Then we should just give up? No one is saying we should be PSU, Iowa, OSU, Michigan, or Ok st but no reason we cannot be Northwestern, Wisconsin, VT, NCSt, etc. We can be a 7-10 team. And btw, Ive given plenty of $. What have you given since you call everyone else out all the time? Also, learn freaking grammar. End of rant. Your act is old.
You are the biggest crybaby of all ...pony up some more dude ...otherwise shut the he'll up about how bad the program has regressed ...money's only reason we don't get the top guys...other then AA and NS name me one who we got because of our reputation ....pony up or shut up.

It wasn’t supposed to be a knock on Rivera hes great, but world medalist, ncaa champs as training partners is what will bring in the top tier recruits ….and for the record I hope Knox goes to Rutgers but they currently lacking In the elite practice partner department
I thought it was money(nil) that was most attractive

The NIL is big and only becoming a bigger factor for kids. The facilities/coaching we are on par with other schools. We pass them by being able to offer more $$$ to these kids. The retention is important and I’m sure money will be set aside for that.

With that being said we can not miss on kids that we are offering big NIL packages for. We have to identify the drive/desire to be successful in college. Can not have more top recruits burning out. I don’t blame coaches for that, burning out is a part of the sport and when kids goto college it will happen. Just need to limit the number of kids. The jojo/Glasgow class killed us with kids burning out.
Well, Goodale talks bout finding the “right” kids so there’s gotta be some accountability bout identifying the kids wit the intangibles that will succeed in college.. can’t just recruit any kid wit high rank (jojo/Glasgow) n afford for them to burn out.

You are the biggest crybaby of all ...pony up some more dude ...otherwise shut the he'll up about how bad the program has regressed ...money's only reason we don't get the top guys...other then AA and NS name me one who we got because of our reputation ....pony up or shut up.
Lol.

Reactions: FoxRU
Beat RBY as well. Gave both of them their last losses I believe.

He is working out with the current team members...Thomas Gilman, Jason Nolf, Kyle Dake, David Taylor, Kyle Snyder are not on staff at Penn State either.....but guess what they are working out with current team members. But I think you already know that.
I know those Penn State guys are there and I know Rivera is at Rutgers, but I have no information that tells me how much time they spend there and how much of that time is spent wrestling with the team members. My point when saying he is not on staff is that given the turnover of those RA guys, a recruit cannot count on them being there any amount of time.

I know those Penn State guys are there and I know Rivera is at Rutgers, but I have no information that tells me how much time they spend there and how much of that time is spent wrestling with the team members. My point when saying he is not on staff is that given the turnover of those RA guys, a recruit cannot count on them being there any amount of time.
A recruit can never tell how long a resident athlete will be at the RTC, just like a recruit can never tell how long an assistant coach will be on staff. Gilman was at Iowa RTC, Dake at Cornell RTC.. those guys leave all the time. Just like AA was at Rutgers and left for New York RTC. The SKWC needs more top level guys on the payroll, and that should be a priority. We are not on par with Pennsylvania RTC, New York RTC, or Princeton. But Rivera is working out with team members and is at pretty much every home match talking to the wrestlers.

I don’t know. I believe what we are doing is not meeting expectations.

You have said the program needs an entire assessment. Could you suggest how to go about such an assessment? How can we better understand if the current staff can change our trajectory?
I will respond to this in more depth, but for now, here's an example of what I would like to see if either exists.
-Goodale's formal, documented mission statement.
-Hobbs' formal, documented mission statement or statement of support.

They can be called visions or any other buzzwords, but should express what the leader is committed to accomplishing.

• Haha
Reactions: FoxRU and Leonard23
I will respond to this in more depth, but for now, here's an example of what I would like to see if either exists.

They can be called visions or any other buzzwords, but should express what the leader is committed to accomplishing.
20201023180937516_1024x1024.png

Yep an “official mission statement” is sure gonna pull in those elite recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT