ADVERTISEMENT

Projected with new transfers lineup?

rutpsychbaseball

Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 13, 2021
This seems like a really solid transfer. It is unfortunate janzer cant take a year.Is it the consensus that he will be the bench. Any what is the projected lineup. Thanks.

Ideally:

125: Suriano (Shawver RS)
133: Seabass (Raimo backup)
141: Alvarez
149: MVB/Aragona
157: Kanniard
165: O'Neill/Clark/Transfer
174: Turley
184: Poz
197: Bulsak
285: McDermott

157/165 is STILL a real concern going forward as there is no proven depth or elite talent behind Kanniard. Not sure what weight he'll settle into but the other weight is wide open unfortunately. There are a lot of bodies there, but no standouts thus far.

O'Neill didn't look ready/great in his limited action last year. Granted, 3 of his 4 matches were in one day but they weren't against top competition and they certainly didn't instill a ton of confidence.

Clark was thrown into the fire and wrestled once all year, but it was against Nijenhuis, who was a top P4P recruit and ultimately a round of 16 guy so he didn't get much going offensively in a 5-0 loss. He was more than likely wrestling up a weight as well so it's hard to take much away from that match.

Last edited:
Thanks. i thought more were going to be going up a weight as you have most going opposite. You really think sebastian is at 133?

Ideally:

125: Suriano (Shawver RS)
133: Seabass (Raimo backup)
141: Alvarez
149: MVB/Aragona
157: Kanniard
165: O'Neill/Clark/Transfer
174: Turley
184: Poz
197: Bulsak
285: McDermott

157/165 is STILL a real concern going forward as there is no proven depth or elite talent behind Kanniard. Not sure what weight he'll settle into but the other weight is wide open unfortunately. There are a of bodies there, but no standouts thus far.

O'Neill didn't look ready/great in his limited action last year. Granted, 3 of his 4 matches were in one day but they weren't against top competition and they certainly didn't instill a ton of confidence.

Clark was thrown into the fire and wrestled once all year, but it was against Nijenhuis, who was a top P4P recruit and ultimately a round of 16 guy so he didn't get much going offensively in a 5-0 loss. He was more than likely wrestling up a weight as well so it's hard to take much away from that match.
Maybe Aragona -149; MVB -157; Kanniard- 165 would probably make for the most optimal lineup if everyone can fill in the weight.

I don't think MVB will be effective at 157. MVB vs Aragona - may the better wrestler stay at 149lb.

Reactions: elvis7
Maybe Aragona -149; MVB -157; Kanniard- 165 would probably make for the most optimal lineup if everyone can fill in the weight.
Kanniard
Anywhere else to listen? Didn’t renew flo wrestling subscription
keep forgetting it’s a paywall. Yea basically said he was eating and living like shit. “Eating for taste not fuel”. Mentioned he had to shut it down more than anyone this year the way the contact tracing worked for him so he was off the mat for nearly a month which killed his motivation. He had deep regrets not making weight and has since changed his lifestyle habits and has already lost 8 pounds. Hinted that he might again consider 133 and joked with Bader that “wrestle offs might be interesting”. I still think he goes 41 as he mentioned he was 25 lbs over when he finally got back on the mat before B1G championships and finally gave up cutting 1 hour before leaving for tournament.

Reactions: KidDagger

Like others have already noted, MVB seems most comfortable at 149 so given that it's his final year I expect him to stay there. He was most effective at that weight as well given his frame and style, so no need to mess with that.

I am hoping Aragona improved enough to beat MVB (nothing against MVB, but i want the Jo jo to live up to his ranking coming out of HS)
definitely hope we see that with jojo. It doesnt have to be this season. however he was expected to be a multi all american.

definitely hope we see that with jojo. It doesnt have to be this season. however he was expected to be a multi all american.

I agree. He still has a RS as well so if he needs another year to develop & get stronger behind MVB, then he can easily be a 3 year starter after that. Hard to say what the last year was like for him in terms of COVID, training/development, etc. since we didn't see him wrestle but I'm not certainly counting him out by any means.

I really want him to (and expect him to) become a mainstay in the lineup in the near future...

Last edited:
Reactions: rutpsychbaseball
I am hoping Aragona improved enough to beat MVB (nothing against MVB, but i want the Jo jo to live up to his ranking coming out of HS)
If Aragona did improve enough to win the 149 spot(no signs this would happen besides ranking out of hs) it would pretty much force MVB up to 157🤔🤔... which then would force Kanniard up to 165, if he wants to start, which, would indirectly lead us to a team stronger lineup imo🤔🤔 ... cmon JoJo!! Lol

Listen folks, Aragona has definitely improved. He has Seabass, Vanbrill, and Kannaird as partners and will have another season with them (maybe Sammy instead Seb now). We saw the improvements MVB made, so I definitely think JoJo excelled with Rivera too.

He was posting workout videos during the last off-season, so hopefully, he's still training. I saw some posts by his dad in the past and they know that he needed to get stronger. From the looks of his posts, he's definitely hungry which is good. All that said, I do think it's best for the team that he redshirts. No need to waste the talent we'd have with MVB if we still have another 3 years of Jojo. By then he'll be real tough.

It appears that Graff will be in the room and a healthy Ashnault will be around too. Both of them will definitely catapult our guys.

I'm definitely curious to see more of Clark. I thought he looked good against the freshmen stud at Purdue (not even going to try and spell his last name). For that being his first match at a higher weight, it looked promising.

Hopefully, O'neil makes gains. I was actually surprised at how he looked in the 3 or 4 matches he wrestled.

Kanniard

keep forgetting it’s a paywall. Yea basically said he was eating and living like shit. “Eating for taste not fuel”. Mentioned he had to shut it down more than anyone this year the way the contact tracing worked for him so he was off the mat for nearly a month which killed his motivation. He had deep regrets not making weight and has since changed his lifestyle habits and has already lost 8 pounds. Hinted that he might again consider 133 and joked with Bader that “wrestle offs might be interesting”. I still think he goes 41 as he mentioned he was 25 lbs over when he finally got back on the mat before B1G championships and finally gave up cutting 1 hour before leaving for tournament.
JB what do you think about Alvarez going up the 57? I know it's far-fetched, but with his long arms and legs and technique I think he could be dominant at that weight class. I'm very high on Bulsak. I've seen him wrestle before and he's very very good on top. Decent on bottom, but he lacks in defense. His offense is good, but he likes to shoot his head down. I'm thinking a good summer in our room with Donnie at the helm, will make a huge difference with him. What's going on with McDermott? Also is Colucci finally finished! I can't take another year of his awe shucks wrestling

JB what do you think about Alvarez going up the 57? I know it's far-fetched, but with his long arms and legs and technique I think he could be dominant at that weight class. I'm very high on Bulsak. I've seen him wrestle before and he's very very good on top. Decent on bottom, but he lacks in defense. His offense is good, but he likes to shoot his head down. I'm thinking a good summer in our room with Donnie at the helm, will make a huge difference with him. What's going on with McDermott? Also is Colucci finally finished! I can't take another year of his awe shucks wrestling
Alvarez will wrestle 141/149 next year. Maybe after a redshirt year he can grow into a 157. I see Aragona wrestling 157 in two years. McDermott working on starting next year. I'm hearing Colucci is done.
We finally have quality depth at each weight class.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Alvarez will wrestle 141/149 next year. Maybe after a redshirt year he can grow into a 157. I see Aragona wrestling 157 in two years. McDermott working on starting next year. I'm hearing Colucci is done.
We finally have quality depth at each weight class.
I wouldn't say we have quality depth or B1G starter at 165 just yet. That enigma continues.

Listen folks, Aragona has definitely improved. He has Seabass, Vanbrill, and Kannaird as partners and will have another season with them (maybe Sammy instead Seb now). We saw the improvements MVB made, so I definitely think JoJo excelled with Rivera too.

He was posting workout videos during the last off-season, so hopefully, he's still training. I saw some posts by his dad in the past and they know that he needed to get stronger. From the looks of his posts, he's definitely hungry which is good. All that said, I do think it's best for the team that he redshirts. No need to waste the talent we'd have with MVB if we still have another 3 years of Jojo. By then he'll be real tough.

It appears that Graff will be in the room and a healthy Ashnault will be around too. Both of them will definitely catapult our guys.

I'm definitely curious to see more of Clark. I thought he looked good against the freshmen stud at Purdue (not even going to try and spell his last name). For that being his first match at a higher weight, it looked promising.

Hopefully, O'neil makes gains. I was actually surprised at how he looked in the 3 or 4 matches he wrestled.
thanks, what do you mean sammy instead?

Actually got some positive feedback on Boone... and believe it or not Clark. Don’t be surprised to see Clark at 165 if we don’t get a transfer.

Honestly, I think Sammy could wrestle anywhere if his head is on straight. I just think wrestling vs 126 and 133 lbers for 3 straight years makes 157 a tough bump. I mean you get kids cutting from 175. Deacon got popped at that tournament. Before he grew into a man, David Taylor wrestled 157 with a similar build but he never made the kind of cut Sammy did and to be frank Sammy ain’t Taylor.

Actually got some positive feedback on Boone... and believe it or not Clark. Don’t be surprised to see Clark at 165 if we don’t get a transfer.

Honestly, I think Sammy could wrestle anywhere if his head is on straight. I just think wrestling vs 126 and 133 lbers for 3 straight years makes 157 a tough bump. I mean you get kids cutting from 175. Deacon got popped at that tournament. Before he grew into a man, David Taylor wrestled 157 with a similar build but he never made the kind of cut Sammy did and to be frank Sammy ain’t Taylor.
You never want to cut to the point where wrestling isn’t fun anymore..

What's the positive feedback on Boone ? 🤔

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT