ADVERTISEMENT

PSU fans from PA vs PSU fans from NJ/NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2005
I went to PSU for a football game weekend for the first time and I have to say the fans were absolutely wonderful. From when I arrived in State College on Friday through the game on Saturday, all those from PA were very respectful and very friendly.

My only issue was at the game in the row in front of me. This PSU fan told me to "tone it down" when I was arguing blatant holding not called on Fashanu (no idea how he's projected top 5 NFL draft pick). Even the other PSU fans around me said I didn't do anything. So it turns out this woman was from NJ and attended Ramapo HS. In her mind it was ok for her to keep barking at Schiano all game but it wasn't ok for me to cheer for Rutgers. She didn't stop until her husband told her she was in the wrong.

So there's definitely a clear difference in PSU fans from PA vs ones from NJ/NY.

I went to every game home and away last year and all but Iowa this year. Have now been to all but Purdue and Nebraska. This was the very first time I've had an issue with a fan at a Rutgers away game.

I'll never get people from NJ that hate on NJ.

This isn't anything new. We've been saying it for years:

PSU, Mich, OSU, Maryland and Wisconsin fans - who are from/have lived in NJ a long time, are the WORST. At least most of them. And they're the dickheads who show up at SHI and cause the issues in the lots and the the stadium.

I went to PSU for a football game weekend for the first time and I have to say the fans were absolutely wonderful. From when I arrived in State College on Friday through the game on Saturday, all those from PA were very respectful and very friendly.

My only issue was at the game in the row in front of me. This PSU fan told me to "tone it down" when I was arguing blatant holding not called on Fashanu (no idea how he's projected top 5 NFL draft pick). Even the other PSU fans around me said I didn't do anything. So it turns out this woman was from NJ and attended Ramapo HS. In her mind it was ok for her to keep barking at Schiano all game but it wasn't ok for me to cheer for Rutgers. She didn't stop until her husband told her she was in the wrong.

So there's definitely a clear difference in PSU fans from PA vs ones from NJ/NY.

I went to every game home and away last year and all but Iowa this year. Have now been to all but Purdue and Nebraska. This was the very first time I've had an issue with a fan at a Rutgers away game.

That is how they justify paying more money for a lesser education.

More than half of the PSU fans live in bumble****, PA and have no reason to dislike or be disrespectful to Rutgers fans. They're just nice country folk.

More than half of the PSU fans live in bumble****, PA and have no reason to dislike or be disrespectful to Rutgers fans. They're just nice country folk.
or just say F-em and leave it at that 😇

So thanks to you, the guy in front of you didn't get laid last night? 😂

IDK, I had a chippy female fan at BC get upset when I clapped a little too much when the RU BC game was in hand with a win. She was all friendly before that. Fandom does weird things to people.

Hope the guy in front of you kissed and made up with his wife.

Reactions: rutgersfan1766
Sad as this is the psu folks I talk to love playing Rutgers every year. They see it as a yearly conference W, nothing more. As others said once we beat them the conversation changes

Reactions: WestOrangeCL
I believe There are more Cowboys fans in NJ than Jets fans

Yankees are the closest team for many baseball fans in NJ so bad analogy
Yankees fans are among the most obnoxious on the face of the earth (though Philly does give them a run and also unironically is one of the other closest teams to the rest of NJ🤣)

I’ve always considered the Mets the Jersey franchise, just like the Jets. The Yankees and giants belong to New York.

That being said, never in my life have I encountered a more annoying sports fan than the New Jersey Cowboys fan… like I said, they’re a breed all their own

PSU, Mich, OSU, Maryland and Wisconsin fans - who are from/have lived in NJ a long time, are the WORST. At least most of them. And they're the dickheads who show up at SHI and cause the issues in the lots and the the stadium.
At my age, I'm got getting into any fights. The closest I got was with a Wisconsin fan and last year with a Michigan fan at SHI.

Yankees fans are among the most obnoxious on the face of the earth (though Philly does give them a run and also unironically is one of the other closest teams to the rest of NJ🤣)

I’ve always considered the Mets the Jersey franchise, just like the Jets. The Yankees and giants belong to New York.

That being said, never in my life have I encountered a more annoying sports fan than the New Jersey Cowboys fan… like I said, they’re a breed all their own
WTF?? There are probably 3-4x the # of Yankee fans in Jersey than Mets. This statement is absurd lol!!! Mets are a LONG ISLAND team.

Your consideration is wrong
Mets/Jets are more Long Island teams

Reactions: WestOrangeCL

Wrong!

Yankees/Giants/Knicks ---NJ/Manhattan/Westchester

Mets/Jets/Nets - Boroughs/LI

Hockey is tough because those over 45 were fans before the Devil's existed

The pro sports fans who don't support the NY or Philly teams are also massive dickheads (cough Cowboys fans).

UConn fans from anywhere are the worst. ND fans who have never even been to South Bend or worse couldn't locate Indiana on a map are not far behind. And then there are the U wannabe gangsters who come out in all their gear, pathetic. With the new editions to the conference, USC has plenty of fans on the East Coast that have absolutely no connection to the school and are obnoxious.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Wrong!

As a Devils fan I don’t mind guys born and raised in NJ in their late 40s+ being Rangers fans.
Younger ones especially under 40 - another story

Your consideration is wrong
Mets/Jets are more Long Island teams
Never said they weren’t Long Island, also Jersey. I’ll put it this way, the Yankees/giants are the big city teams, the Mets/Jets are the suburbs team. Just how I’ve always encountered it.

Regardless it’s irrelevant to the point. Yes, yankee fans are notoriously awful, add the p*ssed off Jersey aspect to it and you’re in for a heck of a fan!

Reactions: ILikePike
The pro sports fans who don't support the NY or Philly teams are also massive dickheads (cough Cowboys fans).
So if NY, Philly and Cowboys fans are all ‘massive dickheads’, are we just concluding that most NJ sports fans suck? Lol I don’t know of many sports fans left in Jersey if you eliminate those teams

Never said they weren’t Long Island, also Jersey. I’ll put it this way, the Yankees/giants are the big city teams, the Mets/Jets are the suburbs team. Just how I’ve always encountered it.

Regardless it’s irrelevant to the point. Yes, yankee fans are notoriously awful, add the p*ssed off Jersey aspect to it and you’re in for a heck of a fan!
Dude...you're just wrong. There are WAY more Yankee/Giants fans, in NJ, than Jets/Mets. It's not even a question.

Reactions: TRU2RU and Kbee3
Dude...you're just wrong. There are WAY more Yankee/Giants fans, in NJ, than Jets/Mets. It's not even a question
I agree there’s more fans, I’ve just always affiliated the jets and Mets with jersey and giants/yankees with New York. It’s how all my friends growing up in Princeton saw it.

It’s kinda like how there’s more PSU fans in New Jersey than Rutgers fans… just because PSU has more fans in Jersey than Rutgers doesn’t make PSU the ‘Jersey team’ capiche?

I agree there’s more fans, I’ve just always affiliated the jets and Mets with jersey and giants/yankees with New York. It’s how all my friends growing up in Princeton saw it.

It’s kinda like how there’s more PSU fans in New Jersey than Rutgers fans… just because PSU has more fans in Jersey than Rutgers doesn’t make PSU the ‘Jersey team’ capiche?
I grew up in Hamilton. WAY more Yankee/Giants fans in Mercer County than Jets/Mets. Remember....The Jets didn't move here until LONG after the Giants. Also, a HUGE portion of Mercer County residents had families who came from the 5 boroughs, originally, and most of them were Yankee fans (as there were no "Mets" until the 60's). My entire neighborhood was either Yanks or Phils (70/30 I would say, at the time).

Maybe it's a "Princeton" thing because my The 'Berg (heavily Italian section of Trenton, still, when I was growing up) and Ewing, where I had plenty of cousins, were the same as Hamilton: mostly Yankee/Giants/Phils/Eagles. Hightstown/Lawrence pretty much the same as well IIRC.

Not to support any Pedo State at all...but, your sample size is n=1 . That said, I do agree that many NJ based PSU fans from NJ are d*cks towards Rutgers.

I grew up in Hamilton. WAY more Yankee/Giants fans in Mercer County than Jets/Mets. Remember....The Jets didn't move here until LONG after the Giants. Also, a HUGE portion of Mercer County residents had families who came from the 5 boroughs, originally, and most of them were Yankee fans (as there were no "Mets" until the 60's). My entire neighborhood was either Yanks or Phils (70/30 I would say, at the time).

Maybe it's a "Princeton" thing.
So if you’re from Hamilton you understand the majority are eagles fans anyway with the giants/jets as the secondary. Same thing in baseball, almost everyone I knew growing up was a Phillies fan.

It’s just how it was labeled growing up, the Yankees/Giants were the NYC teams, the Jets and Mets were the suburbs teams (Long Island/jersey). At least in the mid 90’s as a kid that’s how we knew things and I’ve honestly not been in a situation until this conversation where I’ve actually had to think about where that thought came from.

Interesting conversation and I appreciate it!

So if you’re from Hamilton you understand the majority are eagles fans anyway with the giants/jets as the secondary. Same thing in baseball, almost everyone I knew growing up was a Phillies fan.

It’s just how it was labeled growing up, the Yankees/Giants were the NYC teams, the Jets and Mets were the suburbs teams (Long Island/jersey). At least in the mid 90’s as a kid that’s how we knew things and I’ve honestly not been in a situation until this conversation where I’ve actually had to think about where that thought came from.

Interesting conversation and I appreciate it!
Absolutely!

But...Nope. I don't "know" that. I KNOW that the majority, growing up in Hamilton, were Yankees over Phillies and there was zero question about that one (unless it's changed quite a bit). Football always seemed maybe 45/45/10 Giants/Eagles/Jets BUT hockey/hoops leaned Philly for sure. I could never understand the kids who were Philly/NY split sports fans lol!!!

Again...I just don't get this "big city" vs "suburbs" thing, at all, but whatever it IS a good convo!!!

Reactions: yessir321
Not to support any Pedo State at all...but, your sample size is n=1 . That said, I do agree that many NJ based PSU fans from NJ are d*cks towards Rutgers.
They absolutely are. That's why I learned to hate Penn State. But the people actually from PA were quite nice.

Reactions: megadrone
WTF?? There are probably 3-4x the # of Yankee fans in Jersey than Mets. This statement is absurd lol!!! Mets are a LONG ISLAND team.
Lol, while I don’t disagree that NJ has more yank fans than met fans… the distinction is in what/who is included in the yank fan count. To be a met fan (or to a lesser degree a Philly fan) you have to love the game because your hopes and dreams are usually dashed a little after the all star break. On the other hand, while there are admittedly a large number of good and knowledgeable yank fans, the yanks BY FAR lead all sports with the number of bandwagon clueless fans.

I have had fun over the years when the topic of baseball comes up and someone says they are a yank fan… just ask them a simple question like who is the manager, or who is pitching tonight, or did you see last night’s game, or what place are you in, etc. Blank stares is a common response (but you know the hat is cool and 27 World Series 😜).

As I said many are front runners boasting “we won 27 world series” (many before the sport was even integrated). A lot are girls that want to marry Derek Jeter or Judge (😬). So many wear the hat because the logo is cool but have never been to a game. This stuff is true for all fan bases but the yank fans are in a different league with the clueless “hangers on“ fans. Ask someone in the tri-state area that never watched a game of baseball who their favorite team is.… why the yanks of course.

All in good fun … I’m a Mets die hard from NJ and I approve of this message 😉

Wrong!

There are plenty of Mets fans in NJ. You can find Yankee fans on LI, too.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Lol, while I don’t disagree that NJ has more yank fans than met fans… the distinction is in what/who is included in the yank fan count. To be a met fan (or to a lesser degree a Philly fan) you have to love the game because your hopes and dreams are usually dashed a little after the all star break. On the other hand, while there are admittedly a large number of good and knowledgeable yank fans, the yanks BY FAR lead all sports with the number of bandwagon clueless fans.

I have had fun over the years when the topic of baseball comes up and someone says they are a yank fan… just ask them a simple question like who is the manager, or who is pitching tonight, or did you see last night’s game, or what place are you in, etc. Blank stares is a common response (but you know the hat is cool and 27 World Series 😜).

As I said many are front runners boasting “we won 27 world series” (many before the sport was even integrated). A lot are girls that want to marry Derek Jeter or Judge (😬). So many wear the hat because the logo is cool but have never been to a game. This stuff is true for all fan bases but the yank fans are in a different league with the clueless “hangers on“ fans. Ask someone in the tri-state area that never watched a game of baseball who their favorite team is.… why the yanks of course.

All in good fun … I’m a Mets die hard from NJ and I approve of this message 😉

Yankees may have some clueless bandwagon fans but the Mets have the Yankee haters. You know, the ones who you ask when the Yanks play the Phillies while the Mets are still in the race who they are rooting for they say "the Phillies"

Reactions: Section124
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT