ADVERTISEMENT

PSU fans from PA vs PSU fans from NJ/NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely!

But...Nope. I don't "know" that. I KNOW that the majority, growing up in Hamilton, were Yankees over Phillies and there was zero question about that one (unless it's changed quite a bit). Football always seemed maybe 45/45/10 Giants/Eagles/Jets BUT hockey/hoops leaned Philly for sure. I could never understand the kids who were Philly/NY split sports fans lol!!!

Again...I just don't get this "big city" vs "suburbs" thing, at all, but whatever it IS a good convo!!!
Maybe you were from the northern section of Hamilton and the Phillies fans lived in the southern part.
Just kidding…😁

Yankees may have some clueless bandwagon fans but the Mets have the Yankee haters. You know, the ones who you ask when the Yanks play the Phillies while the Mets are still in the race who they are rooting for they say "the Phillies"
A little PSA for you … many fans around the country root for their favorite team first and whatever team is playing the yanks second. Yank hating is not limited to Mets fans. Anyone that was alive when Steinbrenner was your owner understands why.

Reactions: Knight Shift
South-Central; you don’t wanna mess with me!!!

:WooHoo: :WooHoo: :WooHoo:
Ice Cube Drinking GIF

• Love
Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I went to PSU for a football game weekend for the first time and I have to say the fans were absolutely wonderful. From when I arrived in State College on Friday through the game on Saturday, all those from PA were very respectful and very friendly.

My only issue was at the game in the row in front of me. This PSU fan told me to "tone it down" when I was arguing blatant holding not called on Fashanu (no idea how he's projected top 5 NFL draft pick). Even the other PSU fans around me said I didn't do anything. So it turns out this woman was from NJ and attended Ramapo HS. In her mind it was ok for her to keep barking at Schiano all game but it wasn't ok for me to cheer for Rutgers. She didn't stop until her husband told her she was in the wrong.

So there's definitely a clear difference in PSU fans from PA vs ones from NJ/NY.

I went to every game home and away last year and all but Iowa this year. Have now been to all but Purdue and Nebraska. This was the very first time I've had an issue with a fan at a Rutgers away game.

I'll never get people from NJ that hate on NJ.
I know many Penn state fans. All great people. All from PA. Sure there are ahole weirdo fans including some from pa just like any fanbase. I was yelling about the refs too and was asked to stop yelling by my daughter (Penn state fan) lol so I did. Other than the outcome we had a great experience. You just have to avoid the student section there though. I love the pennsyltucky and other comments. People are very ignorant.

I know many Penn state fans. All great people. All from PA. Sure there are ahole weirdo fans including some from pa just like any fanbase. I was yelling about the refs too and was asked to stop yelling by my daughter (Penn state fan) lol so I did. Other than the outcome we had a great experience. You just have to avoid the student section there though. I love the pennsyltucky and other comments. People are very ign

There are more Penn State fans than Rutgers fans in New Jersey. That has always been a sad fact. Especially in South Jersey where Penn State is the local college team.

There are more Penn State fans than Rutgers fans in New Jersey. That has always been a sad fact. Especially in South Jersey where Penn State is the local college team.
I haven’t lived in South Jersey, but I’ve resided in Passaic, Sussex and Union counties and spent many summers in Belmar up until recently

There are def way more Rutgers fans in Jersey than Pen St.

Sure, many Sandusky St alums in NJ but overall it’s not even close , many more people root for Rutgers over Pen St in sports

A little PSA for you … many fans around the country root for their favorite team first and whatever team is playing the yanks second. Yank hating is not limited to Mets fans. Anyone that was alive when Steinbrenner was your owner understands why.
Yankee hating goes way back before Steinbrenner. Ever see “Damn Yankees”?

That is DEFINITELY not true.

This sounds like the story about the thousands of buses of their fans headed from Hoboken in 2014.

In NJ there are far more of us than them...maybe not in some places of SJ but overall it's not close at all.

Reactions: rutgersal
First, if you're not an alum of these out-of-state schools you're annoying. Then after that, it's the Rutgers haters for various reasons. Which I don't agree with it anyway. Furthermore, I was at the Penn State game it was fine, and glad they held their own for no blowout.

Lol, while I don’t disagree that NJ has more yank fans than met fans… the distinction is in what/who is included in the yank fan count. To be a met fan (or to a lesser degree a Philly fan) you have to love the game because your hopes and dreams are usually dashed a little after the all star break. On the other hand, while there are admittedly a large number of good and knowledgeable yank fans, the yanks BY FAR lead all sports with the number of bandwagon clueless fans.

I have had fun over the years when the topic of baseball comes up and someone says they are a yank fan… just ask them a simple question like who is the manager, or who is pitching tonight, or did you see last night’s game, or what place are you in, etc. Blank stares is a common response (but you know the hat is cool and 27 World Series 😜).

As I said many are front runners boasting “we won 27 world series” (many before the sport was even integrated). A lot are girls that want to marry Derek Jeter or Judge (😬). So many wear the hat because the logo is cool but have never been to a game. This stuff is true for all fan bases but the yank fans are in a different league with the clueless “hangers on“ fans. Ask someone in the tri-state area that never watched a game of baseball who their favorite team is.… why the yanks of course.

All in good fun … I’m a Mets die hard from NJ and I approve of this message 😉

Not true. Your view might be skewed especially if you live in South Jersey, but the population centers are in North Jersey like Newark, Paterson, Jersey City, and Hoboken.

That nickname has nothing to do with wins or losses but it's about the gross lack of diversity at PSU.
There is plenty of “diversity” on their football team.

This is a football forum

Beat them for once?
When was the last time Rutgers scored a friggin TD at their stadium?

-* RU QB is from Kentucky in case you don’t know

Reactions: blmr31
I went to PSU for a football game weekend for the first time and I have to say the fans were absolutely wonderful. From when I arrived in State College on Friday through the game on Saturday, all those from PA were very respectful and very friendly.

I'll never get people from NJ that hate on NJ.
IMHO.. that is exactly right. When we have the worst "visitor" fans from other sites and even those who pretend to be Rutgers fans it is almost always someone who is from New Jersey and hates Rutgers. It is disgusting.

I won't even say it is people who couldn't get into Rutgers because it is also people who probably could but chose to go elsewhere because they wanted to get away from home, go to a sports school, have parents or family and friends who have done the same..

..NJ sends many college students out of state... many more than they send to Rutgers. It seems that such people (enough of them at least to notice) really need to tell themselves they made the best choice... by diminishing Rutgers.

Reactions: rutgersfan1766
IMHO.. that is exactly right. When we have the worst "visitor" fans from other sites and even those who pretend to be Rutgers fans it is almost always someone who is from New Jersey and hates Rutgers. It is disgusting.

I won't even say it is people who couldn't get into Rutgers because it is also people who probably could but chose to go elsewhere because they wanted to get away from home, go to a sports school, have parents or family and friends who have done the same..

..NJ sends many college students out of state... many more than they send to Rutgers. It seems that such people (enough of them at least to notice) really need to tell themselves they made the best choice... by diminishing Rutgers.
That tide has changed. Many more NJ kids especially up in NORTH Jersey going to RU !-- many many more

Penn State fans, whether they are from NJ or PA, say "oh well" to child rape happening for decades on their campus by a football coach. It doesn't get worse than that

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Penn State fans, whether they are from NJ or PA, say "oh well" to child rape happening for decades on their campus by a football coach. It doesn't get worse than that
Not too long ago minority students were advised where not to go on campus and those with a memory will remember an ugly incident with an integrated couple at a football game-- one was in the military

Not too long ago minority students were advised where not to go on campus and those with a memory will remember an ugly incident with an integrated couple at a football game-- one was in the military
I would never set foot on that campus if you paid me. I'd get the creeps thinking about what has gone on there

Reactions: NotInRHouse
And this month at Rutgers there were hate filled rhetoric marches against Jewish people from “diverse groups”

Not every school is utopia

Last edited:
I agree there’s more fans, I’ve just always affiliated the jets and Mets with jersey and giants/yankees with New York. It’s how all my friends growing up in Princeton saw it.

It’s kinda like how there’s more PSU fans in New Jersey than Rutgers fans… just because PSU has more fans in Jersey than Rutgers doesn’t make PSU the ‘Jersey team’ capiche?
Princeton HS? If so what year?

That tide has changed. Many more NJ kids especially up in NORTH Jersey going to RU !-- many many more
Rutgers can take in X each year.. NJ produces 10X college applicants.. 9X are going elsewhere even if they grew up Rutgers fans.. or Rutgers haters.

From a 2015 NJ.com story..

"Overall, 31,783 college freshmen left New Jersey for other states in 2015 while 25,260 stayed within the state."

There's about 40K students at Rutgers New Brunswick.. Maybe 12K are frosh?

So there's about 3 times that number going elsewhere.

That's a bit better than I expected. Here's the weird thing.. Rutgers New Brunswick really needs to take in fewer in-state students and more "elite" out-of-state students to improve its ratings in that bogus, but well-known, USN&WR rating.

In terms of OP post... F'.. F-orget them. Jersey kids who hate Rutgers... F-orget them. Cork-sucking Ice-Holes.. the lot of them.

What is the "gross lack of diversity"? University Park is 64.8% white. The state of Pennsylvania is 73.4% white.
I trust that stat about as much as I trust Pennsylvania's... well.. I shouldn't go there. FYI: Rutgers is about 38% white. But if you add in the Asians. it comes out roughly to your 64% figure. Weird considering Rutgers NB faculty is about 64% white.

Last edited:
You’re bringing up skin color diversity at Pen St only because RU can’t beat them in football

Take the L ITT
You are full of shyt. That's completely not the reason.
Wins or losses mean nothing about my comments. My administrative assistant several years back who graduated PSU related that
fact about warnings to me and the incident at a football game was discussed here in the past. You are a dope not willing to accept fact- check the numbers--Psu is not diverse and is over 60% white .RU about 33%.. Maryland has about 40% white -

Last edited:
You are a dope not willing to accept fact- check the numbers--Psu is not diverse and is over 60% white .RU about 33%..
The United States of America is over 60% white...should I take that to mean that we don't live in a diverse country?

You are full of shyt. That's completely not the reason.
Wins or losses mean nothing about my comments. My administrative assistant several years back who graduated PSU related that
fact about warnings to me and the incident at a football game was discussed here in the past. You are a dope not willing to accept fact- check the numbers--Psu is not diverse and is over 60% white .RU about 33%.. Maryland has about 40% white -
You’re sick

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT