ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue game thread

I expected there was a good chance we would get routed but we look exceptionally bad. That half was just awful.

its obvious that this team has been effected by the two losses. Purdue is good and a bad matchup but they are only a bit better than SHU and FSU. RU was pretty much out of this game at about the 12 minute mark. Alot of the good things we saw about sticking to the gameplan and chopping away have virtually disappeared the last 3 games.

We beat Seton hall but this is another level. Too big and Freeman thinks he can drive inside versus them. Too damn big.
Freeman hasn't learned a damn thing in his time here. He does that all the time, even if the guys he's facing are not 7+ feet and gets stuffed all of the time. He needs to pull up and take a six foot jump shot. Until he does, he will continue to get stuffed or miss chippies.

We lost those two games by two points each. Agree we should have absolutely won them. Purdue is a different animal and we had very little chance of competing against them coming into this game. They are simply not in the same stratosphere. Not the same as Stony Brook and Hartford. Don't know why anybody is shocked that Purdue at home is crushing us. It's important to remember that this program still has MILES to go and keep your expectations in check

Why bother with a game thread? Just have a tittle “Purdue will crush us. No expectations” .
Then just lock the thread.

Reactions: bac2therac
Let's relax with the no shooters stuff. How many looks are we getting? How many times this year have we fed the low post? What about getting out in transition? What about guys coming of screens off the ball?

We don't even use ball screens right.

We have this great staff and all we have is Geo Baker.

If we hit 3 more free throws in the last 2 games this game doesn’t mean the same. But now it could get things out of hand

I'm happy with the effort. That's really all I was looking for. Purdue is better at every position and we really have no answers. We'll probably try to press the entire 2nd half, but there's nothing else we can do except hope Purdue stops hitting their 3s and maybe we can keep it to 20.

Reactions: higgins3
Let's relax with the no shooters stuff. How many looks are we getting? How many times this year have we fed the low post? What about getting out in transition? What about guys coming of screens off the ball?

We don't even use ball screens right.

We have this great staff and all we have is Geo Baker.
If you can't see the issues, then I can't help you. All I know is when I watched offenses that Pikiell ran at Stony Brook, they were much better run and more proficient in their passing and screens. We don't have the players to execute that plan. Period.

This was going to be a tough loss, and we knew this before hand.

Purdue has a lot of players Rutgers does not have. It's that simple. With the new recruits, things should be a little bit better next year.

Hopefully Rutgers could keep this within 25.

Reactions: KevH and RU MAN
its obvious that this team has been effected by the two losses. Purdue is good and a bad matchup but they are only a bit better than SHU and FSU. RU was pretty much out of this game at about the 12 minute mark. Alot of the good things we saw about sticking to the gameplan and chopping away have virtually disappeared the last 3 games.

Friday night will tell us a lot. Wisconsin is a totally winnable game. They play ugly like us and except for Happ we match up very well with them. We lose Friday and I think he season could go down the toilet quickly.

If we hit 3 more free throws in the last 2 games this game doesn’t mean the same. But now it could get things out of hand
True but it happened. Look at it this way: after tonight, we will have gotten our hardest three B1G opponents out of the way for awhile and the remainder of the B1G games we will not only be competitive with, we may steal a few.

Absolute waste to have a talent like Corey playing off the ball. In addition you can't win with a 2 that can't shoot.

Why would Corey come back to be a 2 guard?

Did you see Sanders try to be a point guard this summer? It was bad.

There is a reason he went off the ball. If he doesn't come back ,the show will go on.

Purdue is really good. Not far behind MSU from what I see....inside bigs are good, shooters all over the court and good defensively.. the type of team that can make a run in the tourney.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Wow ... 0 for 9 on 3s and doubled up on rebounds ... 28% from the floor ... ouch.

So Bullock and Mensah don’t count as Pike’s guys?
No, you're missing my point. Bullock was brought in, because of future prospects at his HS. Pike knew that when he gave the kid a chance. Mensah? A mistake, yes. But the kids that he is bringing in now, are true B1G players and we will be much better for it.

Reactions: KevH
Well, at least our women are playing well and now ranked in the top 25.

Friday night will tell us a lot. Wisconsin is a totally winnable game. They play ugly like us and except for Happ we match up very well with them. We lose Friday and I think he season could go down the toilet quickly.

I watched them the other night. I think they have some guys hurt and were playihg walk ons and freshmen. Happ will abuse us, if the soph guard that sat out is back that will be huge for them. They still beat Indiana pretty solid so I am concerned about our mental state heading into this game so soon

No, you're missing my point. Bullock was brought in, because of future prospects at his HS. Pike knew that when he gave the kid a chance. Mensah? A mistake, yes. But the kids that he is bringing in now, are true B1G players and we will be much better for it.
I’m not missing your point and I don’T disagree with you on the future. I took issue with your cheap shot at Sanders.

Adidas nationals. Watch the youtube link, and tell me what you think about Sanders trying to run an offense. It was turnover city. Trying to force him to be a true point is just not his position. Pikiell wants a selfless player to run the point. Someone who will pass the ball to different players when they need it. That is not Sanders. And that is why he is playing off the ball.

jury is out on Myles Johnson though too, I dont like redshirting a guy when we can use anything right now since our inside game is pretty nonexistant

Reactions: RU MAN
Purdue is really good. Not far behind MSU from what I see....inside bigs are good, shooters all over the court and good defensively.. the type of team that can make a run in the tourney.

They will make the final 8 most likely.

Did they really force us into 31.6% shooting from the field? Or is that just our average?

Yea that's it. We matched up horribly with Stony Brook and Hartford as well. How about we're just not very good at putting the orange ball through that hoop thing. You know the object of the game.

No. We didn't execute against Stony Brook and Hartford. Against Purdue, we could play our "A" game and still lose by double digits. The size and skill difference is ridiculous.

I watched them the other night. I think they have some guys hurt and were playihg walk ons and freshmen. Happ will abuse us, if the soph guard that sat out is back that will be huge for them. They still beat Indiana pretty solid so I am concerned about our mental state heading into this game so soon

Pritzl is pretty good but I think if we double Happ a lot we win that game. It’s gonna be a “rock fight” and we can out-ugly anyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT