ADVERTISEMENT

QB of Your favorite Team When you Started Watching Football?

Johnny Unitas, Baltimore Colts.

So great. One of my saddest memories in watching sports was opening day in either 1973 or 1974 when the Redskins faced him in his last year playing for San Diego. He was the poster child for hanging on too long...

Daryl Lamonica..and still remember the game when he lost his starting spot - to Ken Stabler, in the "Immaculate Reception" game..Raiders down 6-0, Stabler goes in, leads them down the field, and scores what should have been the winning touchdown - with a 40 yard scramble! (yes, like Namath, he is a former Alabama quarterback who used to scramble before bad knees set in)...as for the Franco TD, Raider fans will always adhere to what Al Davis said - "Fuqua hit it, he knows he hit it" ..back then an offensive player could not hit or deflect a pass to another offensive player..could have been 15 yard penalty on Tatum & redo 4th down...if I remember (kicker George) Blanda was also backup QB on those Raider teams..

Joe Namath passing to Don Maynard, Eddie Bell, Jerome Barkum and Richard Caster. Handing off to Emerson Boozer, Matt Snell, John Riggins and Mike Adamle

It always amazed me how many people rooted for non NY teams as evidenced by this thread.
You have to remember that if teams didn't sell out they were blacked out on TV. The Giants rarely sold out for a long stretch of time, mainly because they weren't good after 1963. So as a kid I saw many Cowboys, Packers and 49er games on Sunday. And Sport Illustrated was king back then and they highlighted the best.
I also don't believe in the "you have to root for local team" crap. If Bob Lily played for the Giants I most likely would have become a Giants fan. But he didn't, so I'm not.

Sammy Baugh. Saw him play his rookie season. Told my son i that day you will never see a qb move like that again. Been watching ever since.
boy wasI wrong on that call

Also Charlie Connerly - although you might not say “watching” since we didn’t have a tv when I first became interested in football.
Next came Joe Naimeth.

Charlie was a transitional figure, from radio to television.

Joe Pisarcik, sadly and no not that game.

What can I say I was a very impressionable young kid, it wasn't so much the QB but my 1st NFL game ever. So I got hooked on the team.

Last edited:
Simms for the Giants for sure.

Now I was big on ND in those early years, and I think Rice was the QB? The year Brown won the Heisman.

Edit: Was huge on Mirer when he came aboard.

Don Heinrich Giants QB 1953 thru 1959 Won the Championship
in 1956. also went to the championship in 58 and 59.
Was drafted in the expansion
draft by Dallas in 1960 as back up. His OC with the Giants was Vince Lombardi. His DC was Tom Landry, who was the head coach of Dallas that drafted
him 1960. I was station in Texas 3 times and became a big Cowboy fan. And saw all the
Championshipd. When George Young took over the Giants I went back to being a Giants fan.

Reactions: dconifer
Pro: Scott Brunner
College: Bernie Kosar

Last edited:
Same although I kinda sorta have memories of Jaworski.
We must be the same age. I wasn't sure which to go with, but Randall was really the reason I fell in love with football, so I went with him. I probably only watch Jaworski in his last year or so in Philly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT