ADVERTISEMENT

Question about Rettig

NickKnight 1

All American
Mar 22, 2003
I know he sat out last year and played on our practice team. But what I'm not
sure about, is whether or not he played his first year at LSU or redshirted.
In other words is he eligible for 4 or 3 years with us?

Next question then. Several times on this board it has been mentioned he has no college
experience, so if he has 3 years left then he did play, no?

Originally posted by NickKnight 1:

Next question then. Several times on this board it has been mentioned he has no college
No. He spent his RS year at LSU, so his transfer year at RU counted against his 4-year eligibility.

Rettig will have three years to play three years - after
sitting out the fall 2014 college football year here at Rutgers.

If he is as academically 'on track' as the comments seem to indicate - he should be picking up a diploma for his Bachelor's in spring of 2017 - another two years (or less)
so ... if he plays - starts - this year (fall 2015) - and is really good ... and then the next (fall 2016) is super ... it would then set up a "what's Hayden gonna do ?" dialog - will he come back to defend RU's National Championship
wink.r191677.gif
? or go to the NFL ...

Originally posted by NickKnight 1:

You have 5 years to play 4. He sat out 2 years, 3 left.

He's been on scout team for 2 years. This spring will be his first shot at meaningful reps. Can't wait to see what he does with them.

Originally posted by StyleKnight:
He's been on scout team for 2 years. This spring will be his first shot at meaningful reps. Can't wait to see what he does with them.
Weren't there reports last year that he was the best qb on the team?

Originally posted by imoapie:
Yes

I think it was reported he had the strongest arm. I doubt he was given enough reps to be proclaimed better than Nova or Laviano.

Now is his time to shine. I do believe we need to temper our expectations. By September he won't have taken a meaningful snap in almost 3 years. No matter how good he can be it's going to take a little while to get there.

Originally posted by JERSEYROOTS:

Yes
I did not see that. There were reports that Nelson was the best QB on the team.

Originally posted by PaKnight:

Yes
Yes Nelson was the best QB on the team, no QB had a better right hook

Yes
Best QB on what team? He hasn't played in a college game yet. Amazing the impact that recruiting rankings or hype can have on opinion. Actually i believe ESPN recruiting had both Rettig and Laviano rated very close to each other. You never are going to know ...until the bullets are flying for real.

Originally posted by Ru2bnj:

Yes
Best QB on what team? He hasn't played in a college game yet. Amazing the impact that recruiting rankings or hype can have on opinion. Actually i believe ESPN recruiting had both Rettig and Laviano rated very close to each other. You never are going to know ...until the bullets are flying for real.
It was reported that he easily had the strongest arm. Even stronger than Nova's arm. The mods never said anything about him being the best QB on the team. What they did say about him was that it is impossible to tell how he be running our offense based on how he ran the scout offense. They explained that in the scout offense, he is given a script. If they tell him to throw a certain pass pattern, he is not allowed to read a defense and say that pass isn't their and audile to another play or just throw to someone else. He has to work with the script.

Even though he is obviously more physically skilled, one of the mods said that it still remains to be seen if he grasp the mental part of the game when he is given the chance to run our offense. There was no intent to say that Rettig wasn't smart enough to play QB, but a couple of people decided to twist that post to say that anyway.

This post was edited on 3/27 12:28 PM by hiwater

Originally posted by knightfan7:

I think it was reported he had the strongest arm. I doubt he was given enough reps to be proclaimed better than Nova or Laviano.

Now is his time to shine. I do believe we need to temper our expectations. By September he won't have taken a meaningful snap in almost 3 years. No matter how good he can be it's going to take a little while to get there.

Spot on - nearly 3 years since someone could actually hit him. Additionally, I'm always hesitant when someone excels in HS who is much older than everyone else and this is exactly the situation with Rettig. The kid was 19 at the end of his senior football season !

I will remain cautiously optimistic that he's the real deal ........

Originally posted by Bagarocks:

Originally posted by PaKnight:

Yes
Yes Nelson was the best QB on the team, no QB had a better right hook
I believe Nelson was the best kicker on the team

Nice yesrutgers that was a joke grenade took a couple minutes to sink in

We start practice on Monday.So let me be the FIRST to go on record that we will be very happy with the play of young Mr. Rettig. It's Springtime and I have inhaled the scent from the Tree of Optimism that ALWAYS blooms in my heart at this time of year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT