ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Cali re: lacrosse rules

RU MAN

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2001
Cali, I know you played for Rutgers so as a newbie, I need to understand a few things about the rules of lacrosse. It appears that when a team is on offense you're allowed as much time as possible to shoot right? Also, it appears to me that when you're on offense you can take as many shots as you like and even if you miss badly, if you have a player closer to the boundaries, you get the ball back right? Can you explain that rule because in watching the game today, it appeared as if on many occasions Maryland was rewarded the ball even though our player and their stick seemed to be closer to the end-line? Also, I found it very curious that you can hack the $hit out of an opposing player and even knock them down but yet when a what to me looks like a minor tripping incident, you get the foul. What say you about the incongruity with the force of getting hacked all over your body versus getting tripped by the opponent's stick?

Also, what do you think of having a limited time-clock when a team is on offense? The reason for my asking, is that when a team is up and there is less than 2 minutes to play in the quarter, the team with the ball can just milk it all of the way down to zero. It's what they did in college BB two decades ago, and they eliminated it for just that reason and instituted a time-clock.

Now, as for the game, we have a very talented and young team, but our defense, at least today seemed porous in allowing many cutting Maryland players inside for uncontested shots. I was very proud in the way our kids played hard all the way to the final whistle and #9 (Charalimbides?) is a real stud as is #2 Trasolini. What's your take on the team overall going forward?

Thanks in advance.

Yes you are allowed to shoot as much as possible. The team whose player that's closest to where the ball leaves the field gets the ball back. So on offense, the player that's often closest to the end line already is the attack man that is the feeder behind the net ( also known as at X ).
Stall warning is very subjective and at the discretion of the refs. So the 30 second shot clock is not very consistent. Using your scenario with 2 minutes left a team can just rip a shot wide of the cage and keep getting the ball back to "milk the clock". Most teams will pass the ball around the horn until the ref calls for the stall warning. I'm hoping that rule changes in the future to a running shot clock exactly like basketball. It should lead to high scoring games or at least more shots. MD today really tried to slow us down with their longer possessions.
Stick checks. A defensive player may look like he is "hacking" an offensive player as you say. As long as he is attempting to slap check the players stick he may continue to do that in an effort to dislodge the ball from the offensive players stick. The defensive player incurs a penalty when he slashes the offensive player on the body be it his arm, head/helmet, or legs.
Body contact or checks is legal from the front or side of the other player. A push from behind is not legal.
Hopefully some of this helps you learn about the game. RU had a great season and have a lot to look forward to in the next few years.

Last edited:
Yes you are allowed to shoot as much as possible. The team whose player that's closest to where the ball leaves the field gets the ball back. So on offense, the player that's often closest to the end line already is the attack man that is the feeder behind the net ( also known as at X ).
Stall warning is very subjective and at the discretion of the refs. So the 30 second shot clock is not very consistent. Using your scenario with 2 minutes left a team can just rip a shot wide of the cage and keep getting the ball back to "milk the clock". Most teams will pass the ball around the horn until the ref calls for the stall warning. I'm hoping that rule changes in the future to a running shot clock exactly like basketball. It should lead to high scoring games or at least more shots. MD today really tried to slow us down with their longer possessions.
Stick checks. A defensive player may look like he is "hacking" an offensive player as you say. As long as he is attempting to slap check the players stick he may continue to do that in an effort to dislodge the ball from the offensive players stick. The defensive player incurs a penalty when he slashes the offensive player on the body be it his arm, head/helmet, or legs.
Body contact or checks is legal from the front or side of the other player. A push from behind is not legal.
Hopefully some of this helps you learn about the game. RU had a great season and have a lot to look forward to in the next few years.
Thanks Red Sail. Great info. What I also forgot to mention was that when our goalie made a save and then the ball was trapped in his stick, Maryland was allowed to whack at the ball until it was loose even though our goalie had full possession. It seems as if on that occasion the goalie like in soccer should be able to claim the ball, which is still in his full possession without three defensive guys whacking the crap out of him and given the opportunity to toss it to one of his own players.

RU Man thanks for asking those questions and Red Sail thanks for the great answers. I had the same questions.

Thanks Red Sail. Great info. What I also forgot to mention was that when our goalie made a save and then the ball was trapped in his stick, Maryland was allowed to whack at the ball until it was loose even though our goalie had full possession. It seems as if on that occasion the goalie like in soccer should be able to claim the ball, which is still in his full possession without three defensive guys whacking the crap out of him and given the opportunity to toss it to one of his own players.

I think the situation you referred to was when our goalie KA tried to clamp down on a ball in front of our goal and crease area in the MD game. The MD attackman raked it out and they scored. A goalie may try to clamp down on the ball and pull it into his crease but he is fair game for the opponent to try and lift his stick similar to hockey to dislodge the ball from his clamp. He doesn't have possession yet at this point by just clamping down on the ball. If he did get possession by scooping the ground ball/picking the ball up and cradled while he was standing in the crease, then the opponent would NOT be allowed to slap at his stick. He has 4 seconds to stay in his crease area before he has to pass or step out of that crease without any pressure from the opponents Attackmen. The crease is the circle around the goal. So you will see opponents stand straight up and down with his stick up in front of the goalie (similar to a basketball player on defense defending a player from driving for a lay up, standing straight up with his arms trying to draw a charge). Jules Heningburg made a great play against the PSU goalie by picking off an outlet pass by doing this and scoring. Also if the goalie has possession of the ball and steps out of the crease, he cannot step back into the crease while carrying/cradling the ball. There's a lot of rules so don't get hung up. You pick up more as you watch the game. It's really an exciting fast paced game similar to hockey to watch as a fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU MAN
I think the situation you referred to was when our goalie KA tried to clamp down on a ball in front of our goal and crease area in the MD game. The MD attackman raked it out and they scored. A goalie may try to clamp down on the ball and pull it into his crease but he is fair game for the opponent to try and lift his stick similar to hockey to dislodge the ball from his clamp. He doesn't have possession yet at this point by just clamping down on the ball. If he did get possession by scooping the ground ball/picking the ball up and cradled while he was standing in the crease, then the opponent would NOT be allowed to slap at his stick. He has 4 seconds to stay in his crease area before he has to pass or step out of that crease without any pressure from the opponents Attackmen. The crease is the circle around the goal. So you will see opponents stand straight up and down with his stick up in front of the goalie (similar to a basketball player on defense defending a player from driving for a lay up, standing straight up with his arms trying to draw a charge). Jules Heningburg made a great play against the PSU goalie by picking off an outlet pass by doing this and scoring. Also if the goalie has possession of the ball and steps out of the crease, he cannot step back into the crease while carrying/cradling the ball. There's a lot of rules so don't get hung up. You pick up more as you watch the game. It's really an exciting fast paced game similar to hockey to watch as a fan.
Red Sail thanks for all of your help. What you said was very helpful and clarifies is for me. Thanks again.

Has lacrosse always had the rule about how many players can cross the center line ? What would the game be like without that rule ?

Has lacrosse always had the rule about how many players can cross the center line ? What would the game be like without that rule ?

Sorry, guys saw this thread late. Looks like the questions were answered.

Lacrosse has always had this rule, at least organized lacrosse. There were a few rule changes, like in the old days you could run up to midfield as soon as the whistle blew for the faceoff. Now you have wait until possession is had. I have never seen the game with the old rule, but it seems like chaos.

A game without the midfield rule would be too stuffy. There would be too many people in too small of a space making it really cluttered.

Reactions: gef21
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT