ADVERTISEMENT

Questions about Paul?

bowlgoal

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2004
I did not watch him in high school so it's a small sample size so far. I like his poise on the court and many of the things he does like the no-look passes, he doesnt appear to turn the ball over much, he's an outstanding rebounder especially as a guard and a decent defender for just a freshman. It appears that he can shoot but doesn't want to take a bad shot so he hasn't attempted a lot yet. He's a good communicator on the court and always talking to the players on defense.

Here's what I don't know? Can he grow into a PG who can really take charge and beat his guy to the hoop or dish or because of his height; is he not quick enough with the ball off the dribble? I love that we have big guards but sometimes you need that really lightening quick PG who can also stop and pop. It's early on and he's just a freshman; but maybe others who watched him in High School would be able to give a better assessment on what he "could become?"

I'm encouraged by what he has done so far as well. I wonder if he will be a point-forward for us in the future and will need to be paired with quicker guards to play with him. I feel like he will need to be with Young and/or Mathis in the upcoming years.

I can only speak to what I've seen in the five games this year, but he doesn't seem like he has quick enough lateral movement on defense to stay with most quicker guards/wings. He has been beaten off the dribble several times because of this.

On the positive side, he definitely has the court awareness, vision, and passing ability that we were promised (that no-look dish for a dunk last night was a thing of beauty). And he does seem to have a "good enough" outside shot when he gets sufficient time to shoot. Both of his made 3-pt shots this year were in rhythm and without a defender closing out on him tightly, but his misses were when he was tightly defended or rushed. I also really liked his left-handed drive to the basket against Bryant from the top of the key in zone offense; that showed some diversity. He also seems to be a willing rebounder who isn't afraid to mix it up in the paint.

All in all, I really like what I see so far, as he is certainly ahead of where our freshmen were at this time last year. He will just need to work on his perimeter defense.

I’d be curious to hear from those who know, who did Magic Johnson cover during his NBA career as a point guard? I’m not comparing Paul to him, only curious because Magic at 6’9 did not strike me as someone who could cover the opposing point guard. Was Magic more of a point forward?

I’d be curious to hear from those who know, who did Magic Johnson cover during his NBA career as a point guard? I’m not comparing Paul to him, only curious because Magic at 6’9 did not strike me as someone who could cover the opposing point guard. Was Magic more of a point forward?

Magic was a point guard on offense, but on defense he did not cover the opposing point guard, Byron Scott was the guy who would do that.

Magic was a point guard on offense, but on defense he did not cover the opposing point guard, Byron Scott was the guy who would do that.
Thanks. We can do something similar with Paul and he can be great for us.

The scouting reports and people who saw Mulcahy during his career are seeing exactly what he did in HS.....it's just a huge jump from HS basketball to the B1G and we haven't played an opponent yet, that should simulate what most of our schedule will look like. The question is how can the staff find quality minutes and get contributions and help defense.

Well....maybe his lateral movement on defense isn’t there yet but I love his attitude and heart! You can’t teach those attributes!

I can only speak to what I've seen in the five games this year, but he doesn't seem like he has quick enough lateral movement on defense to stay with most quicker guards/wings. He has been beaten off the dribble several times because of this.

On the positive side, he definitely has the court awareness, vision, and passing ability that we were promised (that no-look dish for a dunk last night was a thing of beauty). And he does seem to have a "good enough" outside shot when he gets sufficient time to shoot. Both of his made 3-pt shots this year were in rhythm and without a defender closing out on him tightly, but his misses were when he was tightly defended or rushed. I also really liked his left-handed drive to the basket against Bryant from the top of the key in zone offense; that showed some diversity. He also seems to be a willing rebounder who isn't afraid to mix it up in the paint.

All in all, I really like what I see so far, as he is certainly ahead of where our freshmen were at this time last year. He will just need to work on his perimeter defense.
Yes. And yes on the defensive front.

Last night twice again he didn’t close out on shooters. He isn’t going to fix lateral quickness this year, but he can fix knowing the amount of time at this level it takes to get out on a shooter. Ball man triangle has a different shape here vs. Skyland Conference

Compare Mulcahy to Caleb at their same stages. Paul is light years ahead. Let him acquire more experience, more PG responsiblities and he ll be fine. I have no worries about Paul except possibly defensively

Paul is taking some heat for close-outs but he’s not the only one with that problem. Some other guys lose focus and drift on D sometimes (Mathis comes to mind).

I see Paul working out there on D. You have to move your feet and anticipate where the ball is going to get rebounds, and he does that. His foot movement is good enough. What he needs is an adjustment to anticipating how quickly guys at this level will hoist up shots when they’re open.

The 3 point line could be having a big impact on us looking bad offensively. The same could be an issue defensively too. The extra 2 feet could mean an extra .2 seconds

Who knows?
I can see it more hurting us offensively than defensively. If we’re playing man then we should be the same distance from our guy, regardless of the arc distance.

I can see it more hurting us offensively than defensively. If we’re playing man then we should be the same distance from our guy, regardless of the arc distance.
not true. if we (and all off college BB) are used to being at a certain spot on the court when our man is on the weak side then we'd be a stepslow

Last night twice again he didn’t close out on shooters. He isn’t going to fix lateral quickness this year, but he can fix knowing the amount of time at this level it takes to get out on a shooter. Ball man triangle has a different shape here vs. Skyland Conference

With the heavy dose of 3 point shooting in today's game.....maybe it's time to adjust the man ball triangle.

Defenses are still geared towards protecting the paint.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I must be watching a different game, but I don’t see Paul’s lateral quickness to be any slower than Geo’s or Caleb’s. Pike seems to see it the same way I do given his consistent praise of Paul as a plus defender. While he makes rookie mistakes on D, I don’t think lateral quickness is a real concern.

The main question I have with Paul is that is he really a true PG and that remains to be seen. He has attributes of a PG but in our league, I strongly believe that you need to be able to take your guy off the dribble and go to hoop and get fouled, stop and pop, tear drop or whatever the moment calls for?

I like Paul as a passer, and on D. I even like him as a shooter. I'm not sure I want him bringing the ball up the court against B1G team. His dribble looks a little too tall. You can say magic was 6'9" but he was an exception with speed, power , an incredible handle and moves

I like Paul as a passer, and on D. I even like him as a shooter. I'm not sure I want him bringing the ball up the court against B1G team. His dribble looks a little too tall. You can say magic was 6'9" but he was an exception with speed, power , an incredible handle and moves
He will be fine bringing the ball up. If a smaller quicker guard is on him he can use his size to shield the ball with his body

Reactions: BillyC80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT