ADVERTISEMENT

RAC Renovation

80yrdPacheco

Freshman
Nov 19, 2018
I think we should keep the RAC but it has to be renovated and enter the next decade of 2020. I just seen Houston’s arena on ESPN. The RAC definitely needs more scarlet to pop. Houston only has 7100 seats and still managed to make it look like palace.

Last edited:
Reactions: We Are RU
Damn. That blows the RAC away. The RAC is really starting to become embarrassing.

Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium is not exactly a modern BB showcase. It seats around 9,300. But it's the on-court product and an energized fan base (students) that make the place special and a heckuva tough place for opponents. Duke is 179-12 (.937) at home since the 2004–05 season.

This is what it used to look like...anything is possible.
1920px-Hofheinz_PavillionFROMCOURT.JPG

We don’t need a new arena but these are the renovations I would like to see and will have to be made if we start getting consistent sellouts otherwise it will start to become an embarrassment:

- Exterior uplift and an expanded entrance with better concessions and memorabilia booths
- More bathrooms
- More seats behind the 1 basket if they expand the entrance area
- Seats in 300 level

Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium is not exactly a modern BB showcase. It seats around 9,300. But it's the on-court product and an energized fan base (students) that make the place special and a heckuva tough place for opponents. Duke is 179-12 (.937) at home since the 2004–05 season.
---
you beat me to it, as far as using Dukes bb arena....not much bigger, but I don't think there are a ton of complaints about that, in fact, I think it is revered.....having it a tough ticket in one sense is a good thing, I guess.

if we can somehow increase capacity a bit, looking ahead to our NCAA teams, it would help, and a total remodel if necessary...... one reason to keep the RAC is its supposed intimidating
crowd seating, that is illegal to duplicate today

Ok. I will try to explain my thought. Since the offices are moving next door the old space is wasted. Put a platform if you will, over the lower lobby by the handicapped section. Ring it all the way to the edge. That becomes the “high roller” club. You can then return section 118 to its old glory. I would prefer that to be students. But if not, put regular seats there and offer current season ticket holders the option.

Then yes, expand the concourse on both sides, add more bathrooms on the student end, regular seats in the 300’s and of course better concessions.

I hope this made sense. We have no reason for. a “new” arena. But upgrades around would be all that is needed.

Maybe get rid of the roof for a more competitive advantage. Make it the only open air venue in college basketball.

That Houston arena,.. yes, the concourse and lobby is beautiful. Blows away our hallways. But the inside screams “sterile”. They will not beat anybody there because of an atmosphere. The RAC seating arrangement needs to not be changed except put bucket seats in the 300s, add back the bleachers to bring the student section back to the court, and mayyybe put seats back in 118 (but that would lose money probably so not happening). The renovations need to happen in the “guts”. With the athletics offices moving across the parking lot, they can not only knock out the glass offices above the lobby, but the offices that continue around behind the sidelines on both sides, and raise the ceiling in the 2 hallways to make it look like a sports arena concourse instead of a church event center hallway. Add seats where the glass offices were, maybe another video screen up there, do something with the lighting, expand the lobby space by canning the bar top tables behind the handicapped section and pushing back the freebie tables

This is what it used to look like...anything is possible.
1920px-Hofheinz_PavillionFROMCOURT.JPG

And, it was a $60 Million renovation. The name.was given after one donor gave $20 million.

After the Practice Facility is finished....this is the next project on the agenda. But, I think some work on the outside will be done before the start of next.season.....even if it is just cosmetic and landscaping. Just a hunch. IMO, Hobbs knows he can't have a beautiful Facility next to an ugly RAC.

Just curious.....if the inside of the RAC was renovated at some future time, could it be done between March and early November ? 7 Months ? If not, where would the teams play?

Also with the approval of beer sales at Rutgers events you can bet that any money spent on renovation is going to involve more ways to maximize this revenue.

Reactions: ruready07
Rutgers can't even afford to install light poles at the entrance to the RAC. Checkout the portable ones with wheels next night game.

Reactions: Local Shill
Here’s what I’ve heard has been thrown around as ideas. Mind you this is early and concepts haven’t even been put out to architectural firms, so don’t expect this anytime soon (if ever).
  • All current seats replaced with new red permanent seats. This wasn’t possible in the past because the seats had to be collapsible when the sections were pushed in for practice.
  • New student section seating, but retaining bleachers
  • New seats in 300 section
  • New smaller corner sections next to student section
  • New stacked suite section (2 or 3 levels) where the handicap section is
  • New suite level concourse and bar/lounges where the current offices are
  • Aluminum Cladding or painting exterior black
  • New locker room to be installed next to student section
Again. This was the wishlist I heard from someone close to the program.

Here’s what I’ve heard has been thrown around as ideas. Mind you this is early and concepts haven’t even been put out to architectural firms, so don’t expect this anytime soon (if ever).
  • All current seats replaced with new red permanent seats. This wasn’t possible in the past because the seats had to be collapsible when the sections were pushed in for practice.
  • New student section seating, but retaining bleachers
  • New seats in 300 section
  • New smaller corner sections next to student section
  • New stacked suite section (2 or 3 levels) where the handicap section is
  • New suite level concourse and bar/lounges where the current offices are
  • Aluminum Cladding or painting exterior black
  • New locker room to be installed next to student section
Again. This was the wishlist I heard from someone close to the program.

A black exterior???

Seats in 118 going up to the office windows like the student section and block out the lobby concourse
Better yet, go with the expansion plans from probably 35 years ago, blow out the front and back to replace the student section and the opposite side (118) with seating similar to the side court seating. Then have the concourse go completely around the arena. May bring the capacity to 10 or 11K.

Better yet, go with the expansion plans from probably 35 years ago, blow out the front and back to replace the student section and the opposite side (118) with seating similar to the side court seating. Then have the concourse go completely around the arena. May bring the capacity to 10 or 11K.

Either way but all that space in 118 and above 118 above the lobby concourse is wasted space which is potentially seats up to the office windows/hallway. Accomedations elsewhere can be made for the handicaps

We talk about this ad nauseam. So, I'm going to show yet again what the existing RAC can become based on old renderings. The old renderings from the Pernetti days shows a new concourse, new exterior and the interior was expanded to 10,000, which I believe will be perfect for us.
aerial_1.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT