ADVERTISEMENT

Random thoughts thread. Just post here.

according to my wife. 3 months. according to me...until its finished and I've stepped on it to get the last tiny bit out.
How can I convince my wife toothpaste tube should be squeezed from the bottom up and not from the middle?

Reactions: scripts
How can I convince my wife toothpaste tube should be squeezed from the bottom up and not from the middle?
trust me. One of the things you'd be better off not worrying about. Its a hopeless effort! In my house it goes into the category of making sure the door is fully closed, the lid on the jar is fully tight, and off course the light was turned off.

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
Why do people continue to mention that N-I-T thing, when we have at least 6 more chances to bolster an already impressive March Madness resume?

Reactions: scripts
trust me. One of the things you'd be better off not worrying about. Its a hopeless effort! In my house it goes into the category of making sure the door is fully closed, the lid on the jar is fully tight, and off course the light was turned off.

That's right up there with which way the toilet paper roll goes. The only acceptable answer is front.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Why is "W" called double "U" and not double "V"

from here

The 23rd letter of the English alphabet is a bit of a wonder. The humble “w” is the only letter of the alphabet with a three-syllable name. It is also the only letter with a name that does not indicate its phonetic use. The complications of “w” are doublefold because of its name, ‘double u’ and its shape, ‘double v’. What’s going on here?

In English, /w/ typically reads as a voiced labio-velar approximate. In other words, “wa.” However, in other Germanic languages, /w/ reads like “v”. Think of the famous phrase by Swedish acting legend Greta Garbo, “I vant to be let alone.”

(If you enjoy this history, you’ll love to meet two extinct letters of the alphabet)

In Classical Latin, the /w/ sound was represented by the letter “v”. Through the years, the language shifted, the sound associated with the Latin “v” became a voiced bilabial fricative — like the “v” in “vampire.” Meanwhile, another sound was forming out of v, the /u/. At first glance “u” shouldn’t be part of our story, however its representation and relation to the sound /v/ in spelling give it an indirect and important role in shaping the letter “w”.

To distinguish the sound of “w” from either “v” or the up and coming “u”, a double form of “u” was taken to represent the original Classical Latin “v”, written as ‘uu.’ Compound letters used to represent a phoneme are called a digraph. The earliest writing with the digraph “uu” dates to 8th Century writers of Old High German. This is a standard that came with the Normans into England after the invasion of 1066.

Fast forward to 1300. With the French-speaking Normans ruling England for a couple hundred years,the English language rapidly evolves from Old English or Anglo-Saxon into Middle English. Runes are replaced in writing by Latin letters. The orthographic rules set down for Brythographic (Celtic) languages, however, differ on the island from developments taking place in continental Europe. There the pronunciation of “w” shifts to /v/ in other Germanic languages. Even while letter forms become standardized across Europe thanks to the printing press, the pronunciation of the English “w” remains. Weird way to work with words, we wager.

from here

The 23rd letter of the English alphabet is a bit of a wonder. The humble “w” is the only letter of the alphabet with a three-syllable name. It is also the only letter with a name that does not indicate its phonetic use. The complications of “w” are doublefold because of its name, ‘double u’ and its shape, ‘double v’. What’s going on here?

In English, /w/ typically reads as a voiced labio-velar approximate. In other words, “wa.” However, in other Germanic languages, /w/ reads like “v”. Think of the famous phrase by Swedish acting legend Greta Garbo, “I vant to be let alone.”

(If you enjoy this history, you’ll love to meet two extinct letters of the alphabet)

In Classical Latin, the /w/ sound was represented by the letter “v”. Through the years, the language shifted, the sound associated with the Latin “v” became a voiced bilabial fricative — like the “v” in “vampire.” Meanwhile, another sound was forming out of v, the /u/. At first glance “u” shouldn’t be part of our story, however its representation and relation to the sound /v/ in spelling give it an indirect and important role in shaping the letter “w”.

To distinguish the sound of “w” from either “v” or the up and coming “u”, a double form of “u” was taken to represent the original Classical Latin “v”, written as ‘uu.’ Compound letters used to represent a phoneme are called a digraph. The earliest writing with the digraph “uu” dates to 8th Century writers of Old High German. This is a standard that came with the Normans into England after the invasion of 1066.

Fast forward to 1300. With the French-speaking Normans ruling England for a couple hundred years,the English language rapidly evolves from Old English or Anglo-Saxon into Middle English. Runes are replaced in writing by Latin letters. The orthographic rules set down for Brythographic (Celtic) languages, however, differ on the island from developments taking place in continental Europe. There the pronunciation of “w” shifts to /v/ in other Germanic languages. Even while letter forms become standardized across Europe thanks to the printing press, the pronunciation of the English “w” remains. Weird way to work with words, we wager.
TMI

Weren't there any great presidents who were born on a Friday in the summer or something?

Reactions: lakejj
Why do people continue to mention that N-I-T thing, when we have at least 6 more chances to bolster an already impressive March Madness resume?

we are an NIT lock. We are not an NCAA lock. Once we become one I think the NIT talk will end

I don't know why but this one has always stuck in my craw. Why do we drive on a parkway yet park in a driveway.

On a basketball related note: Will the people in section 118 ever cheer? And is Rutgers really making any more money turning 150 seats into 50?

Last edited:
How much more revenue would bathrooms in the back of the RAC generate from increased beer sales? I would love to have a beer during the game, but I would have to pee, and don't want to miss half the game waiting in line...

How many people don't like it when guys on the team wear different sneakers?

How much more revenue would bathrooms in the back of the RAC generate from increased beer sales? I would love to have a beer during the game, but I would have to pee, and don't want to miss half the game waiting in line...

How many people don't like it when guys on the team wear different sneakers?
Hated the pink sneakers Myles had on

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT