ADVERTISEMENT

Random Thoughts...

From Mandel's Column today in The Athletic:

10. Michigan State’s (2-4, 0-3) lost season went from worse to even worse Saturday when the Spartans blew a 24-6 fourth-quarter lead at Rutgers by botching a punt snap in the end zone and bungling a kick return to lose 27-24. They gained minus-20 yards in the fourth quarter. Suddenly, Greg Schiano’s Scarlet Knights are 5-2 and could reach the six-win mark for the first time since 2014 as soon as next week when Rutgers (5-2, 2-2) visits woeful Indiana (2-4, 0-3).

If I were GS, I'd use the fact that teams might be keying on some GW behavior to bluff some.

Except I kind of doubt anybody's reading GW's body language alone and they're instead keying off some combination of things the offense shows, factoring in what all 11 RU players are doing, not just one. I suspect realities on the field are a lot more complicated than fan observations indicate.

Reactions: Ruthinking
If I were GS, I'd use the fact that teams might be keying on some GW behavior to bluff some.

Except I kind of doubt anybody's reading GW's body language alone and they're instead keying off some combination of things the offense shows, factoring in what all 11 RU players are doing, not just one. I suspect realities on the field are a lot more complicated than fan observations indicate.
Most teams if not all look at tendencies not only that of the QB.

In no particular order...(oops, premature posting lol, more to come)
  • Don't ever let Rochelle run back another punt; just like last week, a huge TO at the end of the first half turned an even game (or almost even potentially) into a significant deficit. In fact, late in the first half where odds are you're going to run the clock out, I'd simply rather not field such a punt, as the downside of a muff outweighs the upside of saving a few yards via a fair catch. Same thing near the end of a game where one has a lead - just don't field the punt, as muffed/fumbled punts occur 3X more than fumbles in all other situations. https://www.milehighreport.com/2016/8/17/12421630/the-return-game-why-ball-security-is-paramount
  • Thought Gavin played pretty well and his stats didn't reflect as well as he played, given the big drop by Strong, followed by another drop by Strong which became an INT late in the 2Q (and I recall one more drop). The other INT was on Gavin, but 16-28 and 1 INT sounds a lot better than 13-28 with 2 picks, plus he threw a bunch of gorgeous balls.
  • Monangai was just a beast in the 4Q - wish I knew why we're getting off to slow starts running the ball, though.
  • Dremel had a great game catching the ball.
  • Schiano made the right call making MSU repunt in the 4Q after the illegal formation, especially on a wet day and where the potential for a big play is much more important than 5 yards.
  • I'll take credit for this one, lol: I called for us to do a little pop-up kick-off after the first 4Q TD with MSU playing the hands team up, in case of an onsides kick with only 1 guy deep, but we kicked it deep and then after the 2nd TD I said the same thing given the same MSU formation and we did it and it worked perfectly - the kick was nice and high and close to the sideline and after letting it drop Amankwaa did a wonderful job of taking the ball away for us.
  • How cool was it to dominate the last 6 minutes, grinding out first downs and running out the clock without any drama of giving the ball back to MSU? Imposing our will was beautiful.
  • The defense played good, but not great. Looked bad on the first drive of each half, but the other TD was obviously not on the D, and we looked great in the 4Q when we had to.
  • The refs were abysmal as many have noted/analyzed - so many calls were inexplicable, especially the non-targeting call on the hit on Dremel, who was defenseless and the targeting call on Powell who was taking on a non-defenseless RB...and the missed OPI on MSU that would've likely killed that drive of theirs...and the missed facemask.
  • We outgained MSU by 140 yards, 120 to -20, in the fourth quarter and by 295-245 overall.
  • It simply never should've been worse than 7-6 at the half.
  • Wimsatt is leaning back right before the snap less than he was; I assume the staff has coached him on this.
  • Let's go beat IU and make our first "real" bowl in 9 years, with the last 4 games playing with house money and maybe we can surprise someone.
Upon watching the replay here are some more comments...
  • We got very unlucky with several plays in this game: the QB fumble on 4th down on their first drive that bounced perfectly for him, allowing him to advance the ball for a 1st down, the batted around ball in the air that the MSU WR eventually came down with for a nice gain, the first Wimsatt INT, which Strong should have caught (and MSU was lucky to get the INT even after that as the ball deflected right to the defender), the dropped INT by Longerbeam (who had a great game) just before the MSU punt at the end of the 1st half, and finally, the dropped INT by Dixon at 24-13 that could've even been a pick 6.
  • Igbinosun had a fantastic game, especially with well-timed blitzes (good coaching too) blowing up numerous plays in the backfield and recovering that fumble in the first half
  • People saying MSU "dominated" the first half are way overstating that. Yes, they outgained us (240-153), but we forced two fumbles, stopping drives, and it was just 7-6 with 1:50 left when Rochelle fumbled the punt; if he doesn't do that, the first half likely ends 7-6, not 17-6.
  • Loved Millen defending the Powell hit. Yes, the crown of his helmet did graze the runner's facemask, but the primary hit was the forehead of Powell's helmet to the chest of the runner, which is not a penalty. Close one, but shouldn't have been a flag IMO and many others. Millen was also in agreement with many of us over some bad calls that went against us, like a couple of the PIs and the hold against MSU in the last minute of the 1st half. But he did say we'd have to score two TDs to win when we were down 24-13, so he's still capable of dumbness...
  • That kid Houser is a pretty good QB, especially for his first start: threw well and ran well too.
  • Phenomenal punt by Appleby near the end of the 3Q, while running left and drilling it with the outside of his boot, flipping the field as it went from our 18 to their 22 (60 yards).
  • Wimsatt's performance was obviously mixed, but he had a lot of beautiful passes, too, none prettier or more important than the TD pass to Washington on 3rd and goal from the 4.
  • Did anyone see if Amankwaa's KO recovery made SC's top ten plays? I thought it was phenomenal and very rare to see on perfectly executed pooch KO by McTamney.
  • Obviously, Monangai was awesome in that 4Q, but how about that freakin' OL and I'll include Langan in that, as he's really come on as a blocker, especially on those kick-out blocks after going in motion? Shout to Sutton, too, for being such a gamer.
  • Looked like Greg might've had tears in his eyes after the final whistle and given how hard we all know he has worked it's nice to see that effort finally paying off. Incredible comeback win.

Upon watching the replay here are some more comments...
  • We got very unlucky with several plays in this game: the QB fumble on 4th down on their first drive that bounced perfectly for him, allowing him to advance the ball for a 1st down, the batted around ball in the air that the MSU WR eventually came down with for a nice gain, the first Wimsatt INT, which Strong should have caught (and MSU was lucky to get the INT even after that as the ball deflected right to the defender), the dropped INT by Longerbeam (who had a great game) just before the MSU punt at the end of the 1st half, and finally, the dropped INT by Dixon at 24-13 that could've even been a pick 6.
  • Igbinosun had a fantastic game, especially with well-timed blitzes (good coaching too) blowing up numerous plays in the backfield and recovering that fumble in the first half
  • People saying MSU "dominated" the first half are way overstating that. Yes, they outgained us (240-153), but we forced two fumbles, stopping drives, and it was just 7-6 with 1:50 left when Rochelle fumbled the punt; if he doesn't do that, the first half likely ends 7-6, not 17-6.
  • Loved Millen defending the Powell hit. Yes, the crown of his helmet did graze the runner's facemask, but the primary hit was the forehead of Powell's helmet to the chest of the runner, which is not a penalty. Close one, but shouldn't have been a flag IMO and many others. Millen was also in agreement with many of us over some bad calls that went against us, like a couple of the PIs and the hold against MSU in the last minute of the 1st half. But he did say we'd have to score two TDs to win when we were down 24-13, so he's still capable of dumbness...
  • That kid Houser is a pretty good QB, especially for his first start: threw well and ran well too.
  • Phenomenal punt by Appleby near the end of the 3Q, while running left and drilling it with the outside of his boot, flipping the field as it went from our 18 to their 22 (60 yards).
  • Wimsatt's performance was obviously mixed, but he had a lot of beautiful passes, too, none prettier or more important than the TD pass to Washington on 3rd and goal from the 4.
  • Did anyone see if Amankwaa's KO recovery made SC's top ten plays? I thought it was phenomenal and very rare to see on perfectly executed pooch KO by McTamney.
  • Obviously, Monangai was awesome in that 4Q, but how about that freakin' OL and I'll include Langan in that, as he's really come on as a blocker, especially on those kick-out blocks after going in motion? Shout to Sutton, too, for being such a gamer.
  • Looked like Greg might've had tears in his eyes after the final whistle and given how hard we all know he has worked it's nice to see that effort finally paying off. Incredible comeback win.
Igbinosun was great in that game. A one-man wrecking crew.

And yeah, I agree about the first half being unlucky for us. It was a Murphy's law half. It seemed like the team was discouraged in the third quarter. Seemed like the team-wide energy was off.

But that all changed at some point late 3rd, early 4th quarter and that's when things got really fun.

Reactions: RU848789
In no particular order...(oops, premature posting lol, more to come)
  • Don't ever let Rochelle run back another punt; just like last week, a huge TO at the end of the first half turned an even game (or almost even potentially) into a significant deficit. In fact, late in the first half where odds are you're going to run the clock out, I'd simply rather not field such a punt, as the downside of a muff outweighs the upside of saving a few yards via a fair catch. Same thing near the end of a game where one has a lead - just don't field the punt, as muffed/fumbled punts occur 3X more than fumbles in all other situations. https://www.milehighreport.com/2016/8/17/12421630/the-return-game-why-ball-security-is-paramount
  • Thought Gavin played pretty well and his stats didn't reflect as well as he played, given the big drop by Strong, followed by another drop by Strong which became an INT late in the 2Q (and I recall one more drop). The other INT was on Gavin, but 16-28 and 1 INT sounds a lot better than 13-28 with 2 picks, plus he threw a bunch of gorgeous balls.
  • Monangai was just a beast in the 4Q - wish I knew why we're getting off to slow starts running the ball, though.
  • Dremel had a great game catching the ball.
  • Schiano made the right call making MSU repunt in the 4Q after the illegal formation, especially on a wet day and where the potential for a big play is much more important than 5 yards.
  • I'll take credit for this one, lol: I called for us to do a little pop-up kick-off after the first 4Q TD with MSU playing the hands team up, in case of an onsides kick with only 1 guy deep, but we kicked it deep and then after the 2nd TD I said the same thing given the same MSU formation and we did it and it worked perfectly - the kick was nice and high and close to the sideline and after letting it drop Amankwaa did a wonderful job of taking the ball away for us.
  • How cool was it to dominate the last 6 minutes, grinding out first downs and running out the clock without any drama of giving the ball back to MSU? Imposing our will was beautiful.
  • The defense played good, but not great. Looked bad on the first drive of each half, but the other TD was obviously not on the D, and we looked great in the 4Q when we had to.
  • The refs were abysmal as many have noted/analyzed - so many calls were inexplicable, especially the non-targeting call on the hit on Dremel, who was defenseless and the targeting call on Powell who was taking on a non-defenseless RB...and the missed OPI on MSU that would've likely killed that drive of theirs...and the missed facemask.
  • We outgained MSU by 140 yards, 120 to -20, in the fourth quarter and by 295-245 overall.
  • It simply never should've been worse than 7-6 at the half.
  • Wimsatt is leaning back right before the snap less than he was; I assume the staff has coached him on this.
  • Let's go beat IU and make our first "real" bowl in 9 years, with the last 4 games playing with house money and maybe we can surprise someone.

RANDOM THOUGHTS DURING THE SHOWER​

1. The scream in your head will never be out of breath.
2. Do fish in water have their hidden life where they go to school, hang out, study, and get married?

3. If everyone had roller skates instead of feet, would there be cars or would they go rollerblading everywhere?

4. We will never know what memories we had as children and we will never remember them.

5. We know our parents for whole our life, while they know us only part of their lives.

6. Someone was born at this very moment, and someone lost his life at this very moment.

7. Our brain has never experienced some things, and yet it can tailor a scenario in its head as if it had happened.

8. If the tomato is a fruit, then ketchup is the jam.

9. If I were a book, what title would I have?

10. Valentine’s Day is known for its red color, red roses, red hearts … Would it be strange if another color was used for Valentine’s Day instead of red? And why red? Why does red associate us with love?
11. The hospital where you were born is the only building you left without entering.

12. Humans invented the sounds produced by dinosaurs.

13. Maybe it’s better not to kill the spider, because if I kill him, his family and friends can come to the funeral and in that way, I will summon many more spiders.

14. Who invented the words and names of certain objects and how did it occur to someone to call a chair just like that – “chair”?

15. How does our voice in our head sound?

RANDOM LOVE THOUGHTS​

16. It is very important to have someone who lets you be what you are and nourishes your mind and your soul, not your ego.

17. What would happen to us without love? We would not be beings who feel and live for love, we would be just a mere and quiet existence.

18. It is better to be alone and happy in the four walls of your head than to suffer someone’s disrespect, just because you are afraid of loneliness.

19. Love just happens and doesn’t ask you a question, but gives you an answer.

20. Is there a destiny or is it all just a coincidence?

21. How is it possible for our heart to love so many times, break so many times for someone, and be whole again and ready to regenerate and give new love?

22. Self-love is a luxury. Others will not be able to love me if I do not love me.

23. Do soulmates exist and if so, are there more than one?

24. The one who knows how to love and is not afraid to show it is more powerful than the one who pretends to be cold
25. If someone does not make me happy, it is better for me to leave than to allow someone to pluck and trample the flowers of my soul.
30. You have to let some people go, to find yourself.

31. How nice it would be for someone to understand all our struggles and be our armor against the deadly bullets of life.

RANDOM DEEP THOUGHTS​

32. Before the camera was invented, no one had seen themselves with their eyes closed.

33. How can our body feel and experience the scene when we fall off a cliff in a nightmare, if we have never fallen off a cliff before?

34. What is the purpose of life?

35. Do aliens exist and if so, do they also study and send their beings to our planet, as we go to theirs?

36. What is a person? Is the person mind or body?

37. Why do people hurt others if they do not want them to be hurt?
38. If God created the world, who created God?

39. What if we go to a parallel universe every time we go to sleep?

40. The skeleton is not in us. We are the brain. So we’re in a skeleton.

41. Each person has a different image of us and tailors a version of us that we do not know.

42. Children with an imaginary friend are creative, while adults with an imaginary friend are schizophrenics.

RANDOM WEIRD THOUGHTS​

43. Because you’re blinking, you’ve never seen the whole movie in your life.

44. What if you passed a missing person and you didn’t know she was missing?

45. What if we passed a serial killer and he weighed us and thought – “I don’t want this.”

46. Who taught the first teacher? Who cut the first hairdresser’s hair?

47. When you wait for a waiter, you become a waiter.

48. What if we met someone in a dream and had the same dream, but we will never find out?

49. We all have three voices in us. One that we hear in our head, one that we hear when we speak, and one that other people hear.

50. Why can’t we invent a new color?

Shall I continue........................................................

They were having clock issues - pretty sure we snapped with 1-2 seconds left on all the downs on that last set of downs - was calculating it since there was slightly over 2 minutes left when the ball was spotted for first down and 3 plays is ~120 seconds on the play clock if you use it all, so we had to do a little bit of time wasting on each down to ensure we wouldn't give them the ball back.
Agreed. Excellent clock management. No snaps with more than 2 seconds on the play clock.

Reactions: RU848789
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT