ADVERTISEMENT

Random Thoughts...

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
In no particular order...(oops, premature posting lol, more to come)
  • Don't ever let Rochelle run back another punt; just like last week, a huge TO at the end of the first half turned an even game (or almost even potentially) into a significant deficit. In fact, late in the first half where odds are you're going to run the clock out, I'd simply rather not field such a punt, as the downside of a muff outweighs the upside of saving a few yards via a fair catch. Same thing near the end of a game where one has a lead - just don't field the punt, as muffed/fumbled punts occur 3X more than fumbles in all other situations. https://www.milehighreport.com/2016/8/17/12421630/the-return-game-why-ball-security-is-paramount
  • Thought Gavin played pretty well and his stats didn't reflect as well as he played, given the big drop by Strong, followed by another drop by Strong which became an INT late in the 2Q (and I recall one more drop). The other INT was on Gavin, but 16-28 and 1 INT sounds a lot better than 13-28 with 2 picks, plus he threw a bunch of gorgeous balls.
  • Monangai was just a beast in the 4Q - wish I knew why we're getting off to slow starts running the ball, though.
  • Dremel had a great game catching the ball.
  • Schiano made the right call making MSU repunt in the 4Q after the illegal formation, especially on a wet day and where the potential for a big play is much more important than 5 yards.
  • I'll take credit for this one, lol: I called for us to do a little pop-up kick-off after the first 4Q TD with MSU playing the hands team up, in case of an onsides kick with only 1 guy deep, but we kicked it deep and then after the 2nd TD I said the same thing given the same MSU formation and we did it and it worked perfectly - the kick was nice and high and close to the sideline and after letting it drop Amankwaa did a wonderful job of taking the ball away for us.
  • How cool was it to dominate the last 6 minutes, grinding out first downs and running out the clock without any drama of giving the ball back to MSU? Imposing our will was beautiful.
  • The defense played good, but not great. Looked bad on the first drive of each half, but the other TD was obviously not on the D, and we looked great in the 4Q when we had to.
  • The refs were abysmal as many have noted/analyzed - so many calls were inexplicable, especially the non-targeting call on the hit on Dremel, who was defenseless and the targeting call on Powell who was taking on a non-defenseless RB...and the missed OPI on MSU that would've likely killed that drive of theirs...and the missed facemask.
  • We outgained MSU by 140 yards, 120 to -20, in the fourth quarter and by 295-245 overall.
  • It simply never should've been worse than 7-6 at the half.
  • Wimsatt is leaning back right before the snap less than he was; I assume the staff has coached him on this.
  • Let's go beat IU and make our first "real" bowl in 9 years, with the last 4 games playing with house money and maybe we can surprise someone.

Last edited:
  • Don't ever let Rochelle run back another punt; just like last week, a huge TO at the end of the first half turned an even game (or almost even potentially) into a significant deficit. In fact, late in the first half where odds are you're going to run the clock out, I'd simply rather not field such a punt, as the downside of a muff outweighs the upside of saving a few yards via a fair catch. Same thing near the end of a game where one has a lead - just don't field the punt, as muffed/fumbled punts occur 3X more than fumbles in all other situations.

Random thought

Do you need more than one thought to have random thoughts?

• Haha
Reactions: RUTGERS95
I got this:

1. The starting long snapper was one of the only 3 MSU transfers after Mel got fired. The snap by the backup that the punter made a great play on was horrible.

2. TA had his first career defining play on the KO takeaway.

3. Glad it wasn't any windier or colder.

• Don't ever let Rochelle run back another punt; just like last week, a huge TO at the end of the first half turned an even game (or almost even potentially) into a significant deficit. In fact, late in the first half where odds are you're going to run the clock out, I'd simply rather not field such a punt, as the downside of a muff outweighs the upside of saving a few yards via a fair catch. Same thing near the end of a game where one has a lead - just don't field the punt, as muffed/fumbled punts occur 3X more than fumbles in all other situations.

How about just not have Rochelle ever on the field for punts or kickoffs ever again. Let Dremel (like today) or Young handle punts as they've both done it before. And simply find someone else for Kick returns. I hate to say it but, he's swung his three strikes and should be finished.

Yea it’s a rhetorical question.

I guess you missed the point where the op created a thread using “thoughts” and only included a single thought.

As you might know!!!!!
Yes was ribbing him. How much clearer could I be ?

I have 1 small thing. Last possession on 2nd down we snapped the ball with 19 seconds left. Should let more time off the play clock before the snap. It wound up that we had to snap it with 42 sec on the last play and wait to take a knee until it was under 40. Wouldn't be a problem if we took another 10 seconds off the clock on second down.

Reactions: Ruthinking
I have 1 small thing. Last possession on 2nd down we snapped the ball with 19 seconds left. Should let more time off the play clock before the snap. It wound up that we had to snap it with 42 sec on the last play and wait to take a knee until it was under 40. Wouldn't be a problem if we took another 10 seconds off the clock on second down.
They were having clock issues - pretty sure we snapped with 1-2 seconds left on all the downs on that last set of downs - was calculating it since there was slightly over 2 minutes left when the ball was spotted for first down and 3 plays is ~120 seconds on the play clock if you use it all, so we had to do a little bit of time wasting on each down to ensure we wouldn't give them the ball back.

Also agree about Wimsatt, catch the ball. Florida State kid caught ball with one hand. Hits your hands catch the ball.

Also agree about Wimsatt, catch the ball. Florida State kid caught ball with one hand. Hits your hands catch the ball.
We‘ve had way too many dropped passes this season. Some of it is GW throwing it a bit too hard, although he’s slowly getting better about putting some touch on his passes. But a lot of it is receivers just having a bad-hands moment.

Dremel has caught some passes that were drilled at him hard. The others gotta step up.

Reactions: shields
  • Don't ever let Rochelle run back another punt; just like last week, a huge TO at the end of the first half turned an even game (or almost even potentially) into a significant deficit. In fact, late in the first half where odds are you're going to run the clock out, I'd simply rather not field such a punt, as the downside of a muff outweighs the upside of saving a few yards via a fair catch. Same thing near the end of a game where one has a lead - just don't field the punt, as muffed/fumbled punts occur 3X more than fumbles in all other situations. https://www.milehighreport.com/2016/8/17/12421630/the-return-game-why-ball-security-is-paramount
  • Thought Gavin played pretty well and his stats didn't reflect as well as he played, given the big drop by Strong, followed by another drop by Strong which became an INT late in the 2Q (and I recall one more drop). The other INT was on Gavin, but 16-28 and 1 INT sounds a lot better than 13-28 with 2 picks, plus he threw a bunch of gorgeous balls.
  • Monangai was just a beast in the 4Q - wish I knew why we're getting off to slow starts running the ball, though.
  • Schiano made the right call making MSU repunt in the 4Q after the illegal formation, especially on a wet day and where the potential for a big play is much more important than 5 yards.
  • I'll take credit for this one, lol: I called for us to do a little pop-up kick-off after the first 4Q TD with MSU playing the hands team up, in case of an onsides kick with only 1 guy deep, but we kicked it deep and then after the 2nd TD I said the same thing given the same MSU formation and we did it and it worked perfectly - the kick was nice and high and close to the sideline and after letting it drop Amankwaa did a wonderful job of taking the ball away for us.
  • How cool was it to dominate the last 6 minutes, grinding out first downs and running out the clock without any drama of giving the ball back to MSU? Imposing our will was beautiful.
  • The defense played good, but not great. Looked bad on the first drive of each half, but the other TD was obviously not on the D, and we looked great in the 4Q when we had to.
  • The refs were abysmal as many have noted/analyzed - so many calls were inexplicable, especially the non-targeting call on the hit on Dremel, who was defenseless and the targeting call on Powell who was taking on a non-defenseless RB...and the missed OPI on MSU that would've likely killed that drive of theirs...and the missed facemask.
  • We outgained MSU by 140 yards, 120 to -20, in the fourth quarter and by 295-245 overall.
  • Wimsatt is leaning back right before the snap less than he was; I assume the staff has coached him on this.
  • Let's go beat IU and make our first "real" bowl in 9 years, with the last 4 games playing with house money and maybe we can surprise someone.
you mean random thoughts and musing no? lol

agree with a few bullet points for sure

That's what good teams do.
The interior DL is a bigger problem than i thought it would be.
The refs sucked worse than usual. Lewis must be so frustrated by all of the holding not being called.

Reactions: TRU2RU and RU848789
No. Definitely 19 seconds left on 2nd down.
Were you there or watching on TV? Because I was there and did all the math and we used the clock perfectly. I just watched the TV coverage and what you're seeing is the clock counting down after RU had called TO after first down and before 2nd down, so the play clock is moving but the game clock isn't and we snapped it with 19 seconds left on the play clock and the game clock is stopped at 1:24 left - we didn't snap it "early" at all. We started that sequence after the MSU TO after our previous first down, with 2:10 left, so that meant we had to waste about 10 seconds on the next 3 plays to ensure we'd run the clock down, which we did.

The truth is Avery would be the return man if not having been injured early in.

"Wimsatt is leaning back right before the snap less than he was; I assume the staff has coached him on this".

I'm glad you brought this up, I didn't know it was talked about. It's a huge "tell". He leans back a half second before the snap, when it's def a pass. He's steady otherwise.

The other thing that's been corrected (hopefully) is that our snap has been too slow...it was faster this game. We can't afford to have a slow snap!

They were having clock issues - pretty sure we snapped with 1-2 seconds left on all the downs on that last set of downs - was calculating it since there was slightly over 2 minutes left when the ball was spotted for first down and 3 plays is ~120 seconds on the play clock if you use it all, so we had to do a little bit of time wasting on each down to ensure we wouldn't give them the ball back.
I know one problem was that the play clock ticked down normally then incorrectly reset at 39 seconds for some reason

Does anyone else find it disconcerting that none of OP's random thoughts include hot chicks?

re: "looking bad on the 1st drive of each half"

IMHO - and nothing more - those 2 drives were "bye week" drives. Especially the opening drive of the 1st Q. That looked like pure "here's what we're doing, we practiced it for 2 weeks, try to stop us."

"Wimsatt is leaning back right before the snap less than he was; I assume the staff has coached him on this".

I'm glad you brought this up, I didn't know it was talked about. It's a huge "tell". He leans back a half second before the snap, when it's def a pass. He's steady otherwise.

The other thing that's been corrected (hopefully) is that our snap has been too slow...it was faster this game. We can't afford to have a slow snap!
Ok so it wasn’t me either!

Been talking about it since the start of the season and started a thread on it after the VT game. Everyone in my group now looks for it - it's pretty obvious, but some can't see it for some reason. I do think it's enough for a DB or LB to key on right before the snap - definitely some advantage knowing if a play is going to be a run or pass right before the snap.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/wimsatt-leaning-back-on-pass-plays.266104/

Does anyone else find it disconcerting that none of OP's random thoughts include hot chicks?
Just because I didn't post about hot chicks doesn't mean I wasn't thinking about them, although not sure which type you're thinking about...

d6ent1o-883dcedc-00a5-4ab6-a0aa-98c1de2caad9.png

263916422_672368464170527_6188888364912330541_n.jpg

Reactions: RUTGERS95
It was great running off the last 6-7 minutes without having to give the ball back to MSU, which has a good field goal kicker.

Been talking about it since the start of the season and started a thread on it after the VT game. Everyone in my group now looks for it - it's pretty obvious, but some can't see it for some reason. I do think it's enough for a DB or LB to key on right before the snap - definitely some advantage knowing if a play is going to be a run or pass right before the snap.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/wimsatt-leaning-back-on-pass-plays.266104/
I remember reading the discussions about this, and honestly never remember to look for it during a game, but this just reminded me - I was in 104 this past weekend and, in the 1st quarter, I could swear I heard someone from the MSU sideline yelled "PASS" right before RU snapped the ball. It may have been RU's second drive. I wonder if they saw the "lean back" ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT