ADVERTISEMENT

Wimsatt Leaning Back on Pass Plays

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Posted about this in a thread or two over the first two weeks, but figured the coaching staff would see this and address it, but in the VT game, Gavin was still starting to lean backwards just before the snap on any pass play (anticipating his step to drop back a step or two after receiving the snap), while he simply stands tall without any lean on running plays. I can't imagine how teams scouting us wouldn't see this and use that info to their advantage. Unless RU is being ultra devious and planning to set other teams up thinking they're going to know what GW will do, but then having him change his "lean" in the future. Haven't noticed other QBs doing this (and have looked for it). Anyone?

I won't say it publicly but a friend of mine noticed another "tell" in his demeanor/actions. These things absolutely need to be addressed and I'm sure they will.

Posted a thread about this after the spring game, and many claimed it wasnt so. He is better than he was, but is still doing it it. If you watch enough RU, you can absolutely tell when it’s a pass play.

Reactions: RUFanlivingNC
Great stuff, guys! Maybe you can send our play sheet to the rest of tue B1G as well? Keep up the great work
I didn't play football and even I knew when we were passing based on Gavin's body language. If you think other coaches and players won't notice it then maybe I've still got a shot at coaching.

• Haha
Reactions: LeapinLou
I didn't play football and even I knew when we were passing based on Gavin's body language. If you think other coaches and players won't notice it then maybe I've still got a shot at coaching.
I can get you interviews for coaching jobs.

I just need your SS#, home address and phone numbers, bank routing and account information, and the name of your first pet.

I said in the other thread about this that I re-watched the "Every GW pass" thread and looked specifically for this "leaning back", and I dont see it. If there is any lean it's at/after the snap.
Any defenders trying to key on this will surely get burnt on a running play sooner or later.
Much ado about nothing.

GW is tilting his head 1.3 inches to the right. This is causing his passes go 1.3 inches to the right. If he practices front of the mirror everyday of not tilting, he will be 1st round draft pick. Thanks, I am not for hire.

Great stuff, guys! Maybe you can send our play sheet to the rest of tue B1G as well? Keep up the great work
Can't tell if serious...if serious, do you actually think that if I noticed it, actual coaches wouldn't? Maybe the staff thinks it's trivial, but split seconds matter and the slow lean starts a little before the snap, so I could see it being taken advantage of, especially by LBs/DBs who can see it easier.

Can't tell if serious...if serious, do you actually think that if I noticed it, actual coaches wouldn't? Maybe the staff thinks it's trivial, but split seconds matter and the slow lean starts a little before the snap, so I could see it being taken advantage of, especially by LBs/DBs who can see it easier.
You bastard! You've lost us the Michigan game! 🤣

I can get you interviews for coaching jobs.

I just need your SS#, home address and phone numbers, bank routing and account information, and the name of your first pet.
The name of my first pet is my social security number, so that's covered.

Reactions: mildone
The name of my first pet is my social security number, so that's covered.
I always wonder, when presented with such account "security" questions, if the goal is to narrow the universe of potential thieves to the list of our childhood friends, all of whom know the names of our first pet, and our best friend from childhood, and the first street we lived on, and our favorite teacher, etc.

Because, I suppose the thinking goes, nobody's childhood friends or acquaintances could ever possibly turn out to be somewhat less than entirely ethical about other people's money.

If only they told us, before we were sent to reform school, not to share that kind of information with our "childhood friends".

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
It takes a baseball player a split-second to process where a batted ball is going. Gavin’s lean gives defenders more time than that to process that it‘s a pass play.

I wasn’t going to bring it up but it’s a thing. It was better against VT but still noticeable.

It takes a baseball player a split-second to process where a batted ball is going. Gavin’s lean gives defenders more time than that to process that it‘s a pass play.
Exactly. And if the other team's coaching staff notices, they'd be stupid to all yell "pass" or "run" (as it would be ineffective with the very short time involved and why tip off RU?) - they'd likely just have a few key players most likely to see it (LBs probably) react differently when they see it, especially depending on the defensive call. Small edges can be important.

Exactly. And if the other team's coaching staff notices, they'd be stupid to all yell "pass" or "run" (as it would be ineffective with the very short time involved and why tip off RU?) - they'd likely just have a few key players most likely to see it (LBs probably) react differently when they see it, especially depending on the defensive call. Small edges can be important.
The lean was noticeable on TV in the VT game, commented on it to my sons while watching. Very easy for an opposing coach to pick up while reviewing film.

The lean was noticeable on TV in the VT game, commented on it to my sons while watching. Very easy for an opposing coach to pick up while reviewing film.
Now, go back and watch every other QB…watch the VaTech QB- they ALL do it.
So- let’s say even if he is more pronounced- he leans and ball is pretty much in his hands before coaches could even react and shout- by the time the D on the field hears/processes run/pass- either tge run is at them already or they have already made their first step.
Once the defender makes their first step- kind of too late in most cases.

Now, go back and watch every other QB…watch the VaTech QB- they ALL do it.
So- let’s say even if he is more pronounced- he leans and ball is pretty much in his hands before coaches could even react and shout- by the time the D on the field hears/processes run/pass- either tge run is at them already or they have already made their first step.
Once the defender makes their first step- kind of too late in most cases.
It's not about coaches yelling anything - it's about having players know this and being able to change how they defend a play. Sure the time is short to see it and maybe only LBs/DBs can see it, but don't you think it would help them at the snap to know if it's a pass or run?

Also, I watched a bunch of pro and college games and don't usually see this and when I do, it's less pronounced. Maybe we should ask Greg what he thinks, lol.

There isn't offense and defense lineman blocking the view of the baseball. Stupid analogy!

There isn't offense and defense lineman blocking the view of the baseball. Stupid analogy!

So the QB can see over the linemen in their stances to read the defensive coverage, but those same defenders can’t see him? I never knew that.

Reactions: RU848789
So the QB can see over the linemen in their stances to read the defensive coverage, but those same defenders can’t see him? I never knew that.
They certainly can't see him leaning!! Especially
when they are looking at him from the opposite side of the line of scrimmage. The only people that would have an unblocked view would be the coaches in the booth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT