ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking B1G Programs by "Hope"

RU Husky

All Conference
Sep 26, 2011
Measure only football and hoops (there's the rub).Rutgers comes in at #13. Only Indiana trails.

Crazy criterion- measured by "hope" whatever that is, not performance.

Link

[Edited - Just noticed that it only deals with football and hoops - but even so, our mens hoops are so awful that we should be dead last in any poll that involves that program] Not sure what that means but considering that Indiana got to the college world series in baseball last year and we have done nothing to speak of even regionally (let alone nationally) in the last few years and considering that we have the weakest non-revenue sports program overall in the conference (and one of the weakest in the P5) and arguably the weakest MBB program of every major school in the country other than Northwestern (though they beat us this year), I find it surprising that we were ahead of them whatever "hope" means.
This post was edited on 3/12 10:27 AM by CuredbywinningRU

Whatever the criteria was for the BIG choosing Rutgers, it certainly wasn't for its athletic prowess. Sleeping Giant thing gets pretty old when you look at our overall performances for decades. But, at least we are in a P5 conference which guarantees that there will be money to do something eventually. Biggest stumbling blocks are the very real perception of RU ineptness on athletic fields and the state itself which treats the state university like a railroad mule.

RUich -as someone who follows every RU sport every day, I couldn't agree more with your sentiment, except that as I have repeatedly stated the biggest stumbling block to me isn't perception, it's the lack of funds that prevents us from hiring more program builders like GS and, equally important, from building quality facilities. Most major programs (including major State U's) get $ for facilities not from their states (albeit our state treats us awfully all around), but from private donors making major gifts - we have had NO major gifts ($5M or more) for sports ever and that's why we are where we're at.

Not sure I get the "hope" thing. Shouldn't everyone be tied for 1st as we all hope out team will be #1? Somehow I can't picture Nebraska fans hoping their football team is #4 and their basketball team is #7.

This is about as good as we usually get from anywhere other than BTN shills:

Where did I go wrong in these rankings? Let me know. I wonder if I'm too
hard on Rutgers football sometimes, but I just think there's a chance
for that program to really make progress.

Just as ridiculous as any of the Forbes' rankings. Doesn't take into account historical trends, competence of the administration, coaching, resources, geography, fanbase....

Just because a ranking isn't scientific doesn't mean it has to be absurd. This one arguably is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT