ADVERTISEMENT

Really hard to get a handle on this year’s team.

goru7

All American
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2005
I watched the Princeton game on TV and attended the Boston U and Bryant games , and there is plenty of bad and definitely some good.
Let’s start with the competition. Princeton is a good team that used the same game plan that they beat a taller more athletic 2 seed and 7 seed in Arizona and Missouri and used the same blueprint on us. Crash the offensive glass , close out on our 3 point shooters , hit their 3’s whenever we went under screens , and out muscled guard play . Now the IVY League at least at the top has had and has again this year good teams as evidenced by Penn taking down Villanova last night. But despite all of that if we make just a handful , like 5 of our 17 missed layups and a few more foul shots we win.

The next game is hardly worth talking about as Boston U might be one of the worst teams in the country. Gavin broke out which was great but have to take it with a grain of salt. Our guards not playing well again was very disconcerting.

The Bryant game was interesting as they had a bunch of 6’3 to 6’7 guys who could all dribble , pass , shoot , drive , rebound and had some quickness. However, for the first time in the second half we saw something out of our guards , Derek and J Mike , and our upperclassmen Hyatt and Cliff step up their game. Again 12 turnovers about 9 of them early , 10 missed foul shots , again early but clutch down the stretch , left a lot on the table. Gavin struggled and rushed a number of shots. The guards did penetrate and got fouled which is a great thing but God Dammit you have this big Center to throw an alley oop to and it is a disappearing thing. Rebounding was better , defense was better at times , Hyatt’s weak side block phenomenal , Cliff actually jumping to corral every rebound late was great . Still something is missing.

It appears we are going to be successful if our guards , who are all capable , improve their entire game , passing , bounce passing , alley oops , dribbling tight to the body so they don’t get stripped , using the damn backboard on drives , using head fakes and their pivot feet , to let defenders fly by , shooting mid range , threes , pull ups , floaters , and rebounding. We have 3 very small guards so defensively they will be exploited as the year goes on. So it is crucially important that their offense and assisting and floor game offset the defensive shortcomings . Now they should be able to strip bigger guards , which I am hopeful to see down the road on the Big 10 season.
Gavin , Hyatt , Cliff and Wolf should be solid almost all games with definite potential to elevate their games , especially Cliff and Gavin . Cliff’s 12 and 6 should get to 18 and 10 , the first part partially a function of bad guard play and the second part totally up to Cliff. There should not be a game from here on out that he doesn’t get a double double and frankly a 20/10 game should pop up more than 1-2 times a year.
Gavin will get more comfortable and he moved without the ball much better against Bryant than Princeton , but a lot of his shots were off balance . He should continue to drive because he is a real good foul shooter.
No Mag yet. Unknown if he can be what he was preinjury , a crucial part of the team’s success.
My gut tells me our guards get better and better , more assertive , and this team gets better every game as the season goes on.

Do you think Cliff is missing Mulcahy's ability to find him? Who among JMike, Fernandez, Williams and Simpson do you see being a big assist guy?

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I wonder if Pike should try switching up the guard rotations more. He seems to want to play JMike and Simpson together. The thought I'm sure is that it's our quick fast lineup that can get out and run

We don't really get true fast breaks. We are pushing the ball up the court faster, but you can do that with one of them on the court... Don't need both. They have a similar skillset as quick small guards who can attack, but aren't good outside shooters

I wonder if it may be more effective to pair one of them with Noah and have Noah as an option to hit a spot up 3 when they penetrate. If JMike or Simpson drives, the other isn't a floor spacer since neither has shown the ability to knock down the 3 at a decent clip

Do you think Cliff is missing Mulcahy's ability to find him? Who among JMike, Fernandez, Williams and Simpson do you see being a big assist guy?
Noah should be. He averaged 4.4, 5.3 and 4.1 assists his three years at UMass with much less talent around him. I really do think he’s still getting up to speed after missing most of last year.

Coming back from a long layoff while also adjusting to a new group of guys you’ve never played with is a lot of adjustments at once. He’s better than what we’ve seen from him so far.

Last years team (at this time after a 3-0 start (2 blowouts and a 9 of 10 point win against UMass Lowell) had far more questions than this year's team.

Caleb McConnell was coming off a knee scope and missed all of training camp.

Mulcahy got his shoulder wrenched and wound up missing games vs Temple and Miami)

Mag was not a known item or factor that was reliable whatsoever.

Reiber (while discussed somehow as being a starting 4 next to Cliff), was really a catch and shoot complimentary 5 man.

Woolfolk was 25 lbs heavier than he is today, still carrying the bulk of football strength and mass.

Derek Simpson (while I was completely sold on him) had some good moments and some "eh" ones in the 1st handful of games....I think he had a 2 of 11 or 1 of 10 at Mohegan Sun.

Jalen Miller was not counted on or reliable to be anything more than a defensive pressure player.

Cam Spencer was being discussed on his 3 point shooting in games like Sacred Heart, Lowell and Columbia as the missing link.....and then he went 3-19 from 3 against Temple, Miami, Ohio State and Seton Hall.

Oskar Palmquist wasn't part of the regular rotation.

To me, there are far fewer questions as of today vs last year.

Last years team started 3-1.....& after the Temple, OSU and Seton Hall debacle or lack of scoring, they were 6-4 after 10 games.....

The discussion about poor recruiting, not hitting the portal to upgrade over players like Reiber, Palmquist, Miller were littered all over this board....despite Simpsons clear talent and quickness, every little mistake was discussed, while other veteran players got to play through their constant mishaps.

If RU takes care of business and defeats GTown, they'll be 3-1, just like last year.

This year's roster has multiple ways to win, it is clear to me, after watching the Indiana and Miami/SHU games last year, scoring would be a huge issue, if teams bottled up Spencer.

This year's roster is deeper, more talented and more capable of winning a faster tempo game, they can play a slower paced game and play solid defense. And they can play Simpson and Davis to wear down opposing guards on defense.

And similar to last year at the beginning of the season, we have a starting caliber player coming off an injury, that will be added to the rotation.

I don't see ANY downside to this roster. It honestly, cannot play any worse than it has so far at guard on offense and its still capable of holding teams in the 60s scoring wise.

Lots of upside to me folks, way more talented than last year's roster, especially off the bench.

Reactions: tm_nj
No . Derek , J. Mike and Noah can all drive and can all pass and find Cliff in favorable spots , they just have to do it. I would space the floor better and run more 2 man pick and roll with all 3.

Reactions: LeapinLou
This happens every year. Last year we were 6-4 after seton hall and would have been an ncaa team if not for a couple absurd down the wire losses.

2021/2022 we got to OT against lehigh and lose to depaul, umass, and LAFAYETTE and still make the tourney.

2020/2021 we started strong then lost 5 straight and made the tourney.

In 2019/20 we nearly lost to Bryant, lost to St. Bonaventure, and lost to a bad pitt team.

Gotta wait to game 10-14 to really evaluate.

Last years team (at this time after a 3-0 start (2 blowouts and a 9 of 10 point win against UMass Lowell) had far more questions than this year's team.

Mulcahy got his shoulder wrenched and wound up missing games vs Temple and Miami)

Reiber (while discussed somehow as being a starting 4 next to Cliff), was really a catch and shoot complimentary 5 man.

Woolfolk was 25 lbs heavier than he is today, still carrying the bulk of football strength and mass.

Derek Simpson (while I was completely sold on him) had some good moments and some "eh" ones in the 1st handful of games....I think he had a 2 of 11 or 1 of 10 at Mohegan Sun.

Jalen Miller was not counted on or reliable to be anything more than a defensive pressure player.

Cam Spencer was being discussed on his 3 point shooting in games like Sacred Heart, Lowell and Columbia as the missing link.....and then he went 3-19 from 3 against Temple, Miami, Ohio State and Seton Hall.

Last years team started 3-1.....& after the Temple, OSU and Seton Hall debacle or lack of scoring, they were 6-4 after 10 games.....

The discussion about poor recruiting, not hitting the portal to upgrade over players like Reiber, Palmquist, Miller were littered all over this board....despite Simpsons clear talent and quickness, every little mistake was discussed, while other veteran players got to play through their constant mishaps.

If RU takes care of business and defeats GTown, they'll be 3-1, just like last year.

This year's roster has multiple ways to win, it is clear to me, after watching the Indiana and Miami/SHU games last year, scoring would be a huge issue, if teams bottled up Spencer.

This year's roster is deeper, more talented and more capable of winning a faster tempo game, they can play a slower paced game and play solid defense. And they can play Simpson and Davis to wear down opposing guards on defense.

And similar to last year at the beginning of the season, we have a starting caliber player coming off an injury, that will be added to the rotation.

I don't see ANY downside to this roster. It honestly, cannot play any worse than it has so far at guard on offense and its still capable of holding teams in the 60s scoring wise.

Lots of upside to me folks, way more talented than last year's roster, especially off the bench.
The key point there is the guards couldn't have played worse so the offense really should only improve. That should give people some hope. The counter argument is if these guards can't get it done against teams like Bryant, how are they going to in the B1G?

Pike will hopefully find a way to get it done. There is a lot of upside on the roster, but they need to start showing it at some point

People were concerned about defense, but the D does look pretty good for the most part

Knock down some 3's, finish better at the rim. Keep attacking. Keep being aggressive. Gavin will only grow into his role. Jmike and Simpson are still young. So is Wolf. Mag comes back. Noah and Williams also off injures... if we can make it through the early part of the season, eventually this team should hit its stride and be very dangerous if/when it all comes together

If you want to compare this years team to last year…..

We HAVE to be a considerable amount better on offense because it is almost a given we will be a considerable amount worse on defense.

Talent alone doesnt move the needle. It is complete a NO if we dont have our guards looking to get others better.

Gavin and Cliff are the offensive pieces. They are the path to get us improved offensive efficiency. Every fearless drive to the basket by one of our guards is an opportunity lost getting our best the ball.

This roster is deeper and has better overall skill set ( perhaps not defensively…yet), and just needs time to find the right combos and rotations.

Gavin and Hyatt are developing that relationship. Others will too. Just give it time.

I think this team ends up better than last year (30 wins). Bubble team but we get in this time.

Hawk,
I just don’t see that at all. RU has 1 player that has proven they can play at a high level every night - Cliff. Everyone else is struggling to find their role and any consistency. Gavin maybe the next best player but as a freshman he’s going to be up and down. Mag is a proven player but it may take him till Jan/Feb to be the same player he was last year. I thought Noah was going to be the leader on the court but so far he’s taken a passenger role. The only thing going in Rutgers favor is most of college basketball is a mess because of all the transfers.

Last years team may have struggled at points on offense but they played defense on every possession. This years team is not playing well on offense or defense. If they don’t figure out something quick is going to get very ugly in the Big Ten games.

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
Only Derek last year would drive and welcome contact to draw fouls. All the guards do it this year. When nothing is falling that’s a way to score in those cases and is a huge plus.

You kind of replaced Caleb, Paul & Cam, who were starters, with Noah, Williams & Gavin, only one of which who looks to be a guaranteed starter. As a group they are not way more talented.

let’s not overlook the fact this team reallt has a lot of new piece and it’s going to take time to figure out the best combinations and develop chemistry

Let’s just hope we get to 5-1 while continuing to figure it out

Reactions: Scangg
This roster is deeper and has better overall skill set ( perhaps not defensively…yet), and just needs time to find the right combos and rotations.

Gavin and Hyatt are developing that relationship. Others will too. Just give it time.

I think this team ends up better than last year (30 wins). Bubble team but we get in this time.
I think Hyatt is playing well but he was the 6-7th player on last years team. Not sure they are as deep as everyone keeps saying.

Last edited:

So, were we the first 30 win team to not make the tourney? :>)

wait until Jan 1 to evaluate
while that is fair, the resume is being written now.

The incredible mid season turnaround we had a few years ago is not something that happen often. we would have to play at a ridiculously high level to dig out of a hole like the one we did a few years back. WHILE possible probabilities are real low.

Not to be alarmist, but look at our schedule from 12-2 thru 1-14.

Need to be 6-1 non majors and 12-12 in majors to have a shot entering B1GT. PSU and GTown at home currently look like the only games we theoretically should win comfortably. The other games are all close to pick em at best

I watched the Princeton game on TV and attended the Boston U and Bryant games , and there is plenty of bad and definitely some good.
Let’s start with the competition. Princeton is a good team that used the same game plan that they beat a taller more athletic 2 seed and 7 seed in Arizona and Missouri and used the same blueprint on us. Crash the offensive glass , close out on our 3 point shooters , hit their 3’s whenever we went under screens , and out muscled guard play . Now the IVY League at least at the top has had and has again this year good teams as evidenced by Penn taking down Villanova last night. But despite all of that if we make just a handful , like 5 of our 17 missed layups and a few more foul shots we win.

The next game is hardly worth talking about as Boston U might be one of the worst teams in the country. Gavin broke out which was great but have to take it with a grain of salt. Our guards not playing well again was very disconcerting.

The Bryant game was interesting as they had a bunch of 6’3 to 6’7 guys who could all dribble , pass , shoot , drive , rebound and had some quickness. However, for the first time in the second half we saw something out of our guards , Derek and J Mike , and our upperclassmen Hyatt and Cliff step up their game. Again 12 turnovers about 9 of them early , 10 missed foul shots , again early but clutch down the stretch , left a lot on the table. Gavin struggled and rushed a number of shots. The guards did penetrate and got fouled which is a great thing but God Dammit you have this big Center to throw an alley oop to and it is a disappearing thing. Rebounding was better , defense was better at times , Hyatt’s weak side block phenomenal , Cliff actually jumping to corral every rebound late was great . Still something is missing.

It appears we are going to be successful if our guards , who are all capable , improve their entire game , passing , bounce passing , alley oops , dribbling tight to the body so they don’t get stripped , using the damn backboard on drives , using head fakes and their pivot feet , to let defenders fly by , shooting mid range , threes , pull ups , floaters , and rebounding. We have 3 very small guards so defensively they will be exploited as the year goes on. So it is crucially important that their offense and assisting and floor game offset the defensive shortcomings . Now they should be able to strip bigger guards , which I am hopeful to see down the road on the Big 10 season.
Gavin , Hyatt , Cliff and Wolf should be solid almost all games with definite potential to elevate their games , especially Cliff and Gavin . Cliff’s 12 and 6 should get to 18 and 10 , the first part partially a function of bad guard play and the second part totally up to Cliff. There should not be a game from here on out that he doesn’t get a double double and frankly a 20/10 game should pop up more than 1-2 times a year.
Gavin will get more comfortable and he moved without the ball much better against Bryant than Princeton , but a lot of his shots were off balance . He should continue to drive because he is a real good foul shooter.
No Mag yet. Unknown if he can be what he was preinjury , a crucial part of the team’s success.
My gut tells me our guards get better and better , more assertive , and this team gets better every game as the season goes on.
"Hard to get a handle". I got it. Well done.

Yes it will ask come down to the ability of our guards to handle the ball effectively and to handle their assignments defensively.

Hah!

Not to be alarmist, but look at our schedule from 12-2 thru 1-14.

Need to be 6-1 non majors and 12-12 in majors to have a shot entering B1GT. PSU and GTown at home currently look like the only games we theoretically should win comfortably. The other games are all close to pick em at best

Our non conference schedule philosophy is total garbage. NCAA has already explained to us

I know he scored 12 points but how many easy buckets did he give up. I can remember at least 6.

• Haha
Reactions: MiloTalon13

BU beat Bryant by 16 last night

Confused Paul averaged less then 5 assists last year and so far Derek in limited minutes is averaging 4.5/5 I think or Close to it. As we move through the year and bench shortens Noah and Derek will easily exceed those assits.

Also Cliff is very limited on offense so unless it’s a dunk he has problems catching the ball.
Derek, Noah, and Jmike will be fine.
Gavin best scorer we have had on the banks.
Wolfe at the 4 offers size and ability to go big.
Mag hasn’t played yet
Hyatt is Hyatt when he’s hot he’s great when he is not he sulks.
Williams, Chol, Oscar should be depth

Pike searching for rotation and combinations but at some point have to let these get in rhythm. Too quick pulling guys sometimes. You need to be on the court for extended minutes to get into a flow

If you want to compare this years team to last year…..

We HAVE to be a considerable amount better on offense because it is almost a given we will be a considerable amount worse on defense.

Talent alone doesnt move the needle. It is complete a NO if we dont have our guards looking to get others better.

Gavin and Cliff are the offensive pieces. They are the path to get us improved offensive efficiency. Every fearless drive to the basket by one of our guards is an opportunity lost getting our best the ball.
Gavin is a better scorer then Cam
Derek/Noah i will take over Paul dribbling for 27 sec with the ball
Mag hasn’t played but should be better if healthy
Jmike d and energy WAY better then Jalen Miller
Wolfe improved and getting better
Cliff limited offensively and had a slow start this year but will be fine
Hyatt playing better so far this year
Austin Williams, Oskar and Chol provide depth
Can never replace Caleb on D but was limited shooting

This team is better but needs to find its rhythm and get use to playing together

This team will get better as the year goes on. I know they've played together over the summer and in pre season, but none of that matches the intensity of a regular season division I college basketball game. Once they get "comfortable in chaos" like a former coach of ours used to say, they'll be much better.

We are going to see up and downs with the younger players, but I want to see more consistency from the experienced upperclassmen

The plus this season is we have more guys capable of scoring. We just need a few to have a good offensive game as long as we play well defensively

FTs and rebounding are areas where we need to improve and should be able to

Reactions: new jersey1
We are going to see up and downs with the younger players, but I want to see more consistency from the experienced upperclassmen

The plus this season is we have more guys capable of scoring. We just need a few to have a good offensive game as long as we play well defensively

FTs and rebounding are areas where we need to improve and should be able to

Definitely

I am disappointed with Cliff overall thus far and I realize he had a great game 2 games ago

Gavin is a better scorer then Cam
Derek/Noah i will take over Paul dribbling for 27 sec with the ball
Mag hasn’t played but should be better if healthy
Jmike d and energy WAY better then Jalen Miller
Wolfe improved and getting better
Cliff limited offensively and had a slow start this year but will be fine
Hyatt playing better so far this year
Austin Williams, Oskar and Chol provide depth
Can never replace Caleb on D but was limited shooting

This team is better but needs to find its rhythm and get use to playing together
This years team has only proven (so far) that they are less consistent. Could they be better? Maybe. Consistency is the key and young players are not usually consistent. That’s why every coach is trying to “get old and stay old”. If they have more efforts like Georgetown then yes, they could be better. Last game was a good next step.

Reactions: RUDivision
This years team has only proven (so far) that they are less consistent. Could they be better? Maybe. Consistency is the key and young players are not usually consistent. That’s why every coach is trying to “get old and stay old”. If they have more efforts like Georgetown then yes, they could be better. Last game was a good next step.

There were 2 lengthy rough offensive stretches vs Gtown which made up abou 17 minutes..there were also 2 very quick burst of scintillating offense in about 8 minutes of gametime

Gavin is a better scorer then Cam So early. They are different. Cam knew how to play defense
Derek/Noah i will take over Paul dribbling for 27 sec with the ball You forget the middle of the season PAul
Mag hasn’t played but should be better if healthy Fingers crossed
Jmike d and energy WAY better then Jalen Miller Jalen Miller was outside the rotation
Wolfe improved and getting better As a 4 YES, as a 5 who knows
Cliff limited offensively and had a slow start this year but will be fine Agree here
Hyatt playing better so far this year Agree here, but he was fine OOC last year, fingers crossed
Austin Williams, Oskar and Chol provide depth Chol is not an option
Can never replace Caleb on D but was limited shooting Caleb will be missed against real teams defensively

This team is better but needs to find its rhythm and get use to playing together Possible, but very unlikely

Absolutely agree

Cam was not a good defender at all! Couldn’t finish at the rim or create his own shot. Great shooter

Mid season Paul was great ! Gave us 12 strong games but we play 30 and we needed him to be a leader after Mag played unwatchable ball and lost his job

Yes fingers crossed on Mag
So Wolfe is a true 4 didn’t have that last year

Agreed Jalen wasn’t in rotation so J Mike huge upgrade over that

Williams upgrade for depth didn’t have last year

Agreed on Caleb! My fav player

Time will tell definitely will be highs and lows with these young guys

Agree with some of the posters above - the inconsistency will continue to surface. That’s what happens when you overhaul 1/3 of the roster and add multiple new key contributors. Think there are a lot of promising highlights to hang our hat on. Gavin looks like a player, JMike’s game reminds me a lot of Russell Westbrooks. If Cliff and Simpson return back to form from end of last year, watch out - we could surprise a few of teams. Don’t think finishing in top 4-5 of conference is out of the question.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT