ADVERTISEMENT

Recruit Comparison - Boone McDermott

Lex Knapp

All Conference
Staff
Mar 27, 2018
One of Rutgers wrestling’s newest additions, Boone McDermott, has generated a lot of early excitement within the Rutgers wrestling fan base. McDermott’s commitment was announced prior to Christian Colucci being granted a sixth year of eligibility, and it appeared as if McDermott would be filling a massive hole in the Scarlet Knight’s lineup.

With Colucci making a return, it is not a guarantee that fans will see McDermott in the lineup in 2021, but that is no reason to lose excitement over this pick-up. McDermott’s time will come, and he should make a big impact when he gets his opportunity.

McDermott’s skill and size have a similar resemblance to a former Rutgers wrestling big man. Any guesses? Click the link below for TKR’s Recruit Comparison on Boone McDermott!
https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/recruit-comparison-juco-wrestler-boone-mcdermott

If all these kids are heavyweights, all six of them won't be in the room when official practice begins. With a rooster limit of 30, don't see 6 heavyweights. Can any go 197?

Agree, the pinned RU roster for next year has 35 wreslters(not including Suriano).....and without any transfers. So at this time 5 need to be released, stinks for guys that have been in the room for a couple years but has to happen.

Agree, the pinned RU roster for next year has 35 wreslters(not including Suriano).....and without any transfers. So at this time 5 need to be released, stinks for guys that have been in the room for a couple years but has to happen.
I didn't know about a roster limit. When would the number have to be met? If this year coming is like others, I would expect injuries and who-knows-what. I tend to think the ones who have had serious injuries are prone to have them recur.

Are there exemptions to the roster limit? Army has something like 50 guys on their roster

Are there exemptions to the roster limit? Army has something like 50 guys on their roster

Not an NCAA rule, it is set by each institution based on Title IX, budgets etc. 30 is a pretty good number, some schools are less. Northwestern recently got up to 25. Hofstra also had a low roster limit. Academy's always have huge numbers(male to female ratio is usually over 3-1 male). Campbell had close to 50 start their season last year(think ended the season in high 30's).

Is that a problem unique to this year? I don't recall hearing about it before. Will we hear who gets dropped or do we have to discover that they're missing?

Pretty sure it has been 30 for a few years(maybe 3 or 4 years ago might have been 29). Obrats might remember the roster limit from a few years ago?
It really is not a big deal for the team(except for the wrestlers who are told they cannot come back).

When i checked the roster depth charts, looks like we have 36 wrestlers (Counting Suriano)... As long as the wrestling program honors scholarships, i don't mind cutting back the roster. It is a shame if you cut walk-ons, but that is a price you pay when your program is on the rise. As someone else pointed out, injuries happen. Grello/Vulkah/Collucci all had injuries that took them out of the potential starting lineup (As well as the 149 pounder who won the wrestle off).

6-7 guys at heavyweight and 14 guys between 133-149. I imagine that’s where we’d see the roster trimmed down.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Does RU have a club team.

Yes, they do but I'm not sure how competitive or active it is.

https://rutgers.campuslabs.com/engage/organization/WrestlingClub

WRESTLED IN H.S. BUT FOR WHATEVER REASON DON'T AT RUTGERS?
MISS THE SPORT AND WANT TO GET BACK INTO IT?
KNOW SOMEONE ELSE WHO DOES?

The Rutgers Wrestling Club is quickly becoming a powerhouse in NJ. This is our seventh year as a club, and we have a line-up of skilled wrestlers. If you don't have that much experience, but want to get back into wrestling for whatever reason, that's perfectly ok too. Even though most of the current wrestlers do, you don’t have to compete to be part of the club, you could just wrestle at practice. We have wrestlers at all level, from a H.S. national place winner to someone who's been wrestling for less than half a year.

Practice has been running for some time, so if you think you've got what it takes to wrestle at a college level, don't waste any time – come in and start getting back into shape. Practice is every Monday (9:00pm-11:00pm), Thursdays (7:30pm-8:00pm), and Sundays (12:00pm-2:00pm) in the wrestling room downstairs in the College Ave Gym, you don't need to email or contact me to come, just show up with something to wrestle in. If you know someone who might be interested, let them know about the club, they’ll probably be happy to hear about it … it really sucks to play a sport your entire life, and grow to love it, only to have that taken away once you get to college.

Yes, they do but I'm not sure how competitive or active it is.

https://rutgers.campuslabs.com/engage/organization/WrestlingClub

WRESTLED IN H.S. BUT FOR WHATEVER REASON DON'T AT RUTGERS?
MISS THE SPORT AND WANT TO GET BACK INTO IT?
KNOW SOMEONE ELSE WHO DOES?

The Rutgers Wrestling Club is quickly becoming a powerhouse in NJ. This is our seventh year as a club, and we have a line-up of skilled wrestlers. If you don't have that much experience, but want to get back into wrestling for whatever reason, that's perfectly ok too. Even though most of the current wrestlers do, you don’t have to compete to be part of the club, you could just wrestle at practice. We have wrestlers at all level, from a H.S. national place winner to someone who's been wrestling for less than half a year.

Practice has been running for some time, so if you think you've got what it takes to wrestle at a college level, don't waste any time – come in and start getting back into shape. Practice is every Monday (9:00pm-11:00pm), Thursdays (7:30pm-8:00pm), and Sundays (12:00pm-2:00pm) in the wrestling room downstairs in the College Ave Gym, you don't need to email or contact me to come, just show up with something to wrestle in. If you know someone who might be interested, let them know about the club, they’ll probably be happy to hear about it … it really sucks to play a sport your entire life, and grow to love it, only to have that taken away once you get to college.
They do have a club team that wrestles in the NCWA. The competition at nationals is pretty good and the practices are fun. Since it is student run the club changes greatly year to year depending who is in charge. When I was in school we went to nationals in Daytona Beach Florida for a long weekend. There is a lot of potential in the club, but with lack of school funding and being student run it’s hard to get some consistency.

They do have a club team that wrestles in the NCWA. The competition at nationals is pretty good and the practices are fun. Since it is student run the club changes greatly year to year depending who is in charge. When I was in school we went to nationals in Daytona Beach Florida for a long weekend. There is a lot of potential in the club, but with lack of school funding and being student run it’s hard to get some consistency.
For those with flo here is an example of the club team competition at the national stage. It’s obviously not D1, but some pretty good matches considering most teams only practice 2-3x/week.

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/...rutgers-wc-vs-richard-viruet-springfield-tech

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT