ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Mullen visiting is great news. I thought he was concerned about the lack of training partners. It seems that our biggest training partner is Pagano and the current heavyweights.

If they hate NJ then they won’t come here because Rutgers is in NJ, not because there is a drawing of NJ on the singlet

Yeah, but the whole singlet is branded around state pride.

It's just another added component to what could be a decision on choosing schools from an out-of-stater. If you think student-athletes don't select schools due to uniform colors, mascot, or the number of uniform combinations then you're oblivious to what goes on in college sports. It might not be the biggest factor, but it does play a part.

Wrestling may be a little different but just look at Oregon for example or Colorado, FSU, and other big football schools (hell even RU football). They're all doing the same thing with uniforms to entice students. Everything counts.

I just think the state pride thing is a little played out at this point. It was needed in the early Goodale days to recruit Jersey talent, but everyone in Jersey already knows RU is the NJ team. Now it's time to get other top kids from other states.

Does Penn State have a big PA outline? Does Iowa have a big Iowa outline? Does Oklahoma State have a big OK outline?

You can laugh all you want, but when this board constantly complains about not getting the top guys, then you have to look at every possible factor. And this is one of them.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think your points are a little extreme. It would be like saying a won’t choose Rutgers because they hate the color red or hate the medieval time period. Rutgers certainly has some things that would turn kids away just like any school does. A NJ silhouette on an alternate singlet is absolutely not one of them.

Yeah if Myles is gone that's not a good sign or situation. Not sure why the SKWC can't keep and/or attract top talent and unfortunately that will be the Achilles heel of the program.

Yeah if Myles is gone that's not a good sign or situation. Not sure why the SKWC can't keep and/or attract top talent and unfortunately that will be the Achilles heel of the program.
We shkukd have just stayed with Princeton. Could have used their deep pockets to at least retain strong resident athletes.

Myles wasn't looking to make freestyle a long term thing. Great young man and family. Maybe he's ready to start a new chapter in his life.

Myles wasn't looking to make freestyle a long term thing. Great young man and family. Maybe he's ready to start a new chapter in his life.
That's too bad for us. Didn't he and Tyler Graff both win a big freestyle tournament in April. Good luck to Myles. Does anyone know why Graff left the SKWC for Princeton. He was a world team member a couple of years ago.

That's too bad for us. Didn't he and Tyler Graff both win a big freestyle tournament in April. Good luck to Myles. Does anyone know why Graff left the SKWC for Princeton. He was a world team member a couple of years ago.
I am sure Graff left because he was being coached by Reece Humphrey. If Myles left and showed up at another RTC, agree would look bad for us. But it seems like he is getting on with his life outside of wrestling. Being an RTC athlete does not pay well and it is not easy cracking into the US teams. Just look at our own AA, he is not even close to moving up the US ladder, but the difference is he is coaching RU and wrestling for "fun". Maybe we can use Myles money on a Hwt to help with Mullen.

Shocked goodale didn’t land this kid
Recruiting has been an unmitigated disaster in this class.
Santaniello is the same class as Soldano etc....which was a very solid recruiting class. 2023 class is where we are lacking.

Rpiseman-not sure why you are shocked, he picked the Naval Academy out of high school(went to NAPS) He is a 125/133 not an area of need and it was between UNC, OK and Pitt.

Reactions: MS-RU and Leonard23
I thought Ashnault was tight with both brothers. Didn’t they go to train in Oklahoma with Anthony. After Vincent left Navy Prep, thought he would be lock for RU. Very surprising. There must be more to the situation that we don’t know. Maybe the coaches believe that the brothers aren’t Big Ten material.

On Willie Saylor's Podcast he is discussing Joey Silva to Rutgers. During the season posters on this board commented that Silva was at a number of meets. Could make sense as Silva was teammates with Rivera at the Pam Am championships last month. May also be a reason why we didn't go after Santaniello. Silva was a 4 time Florida state champ and the # 9 overall recruit in the country. In the Pam Am tourney he lost to Daton Fix in the finals at 61kg (134 pounds).No sure why he left Michigan.

Bill any truth to Saylor's comments or could Silva be a RTC athlete.

Recruiting has been an unmitigated disaster in this class.
It’s too early to judge because if we end up with Mullen and/or Vazquez it’s another great class with a potential top 10 and 50 guy nationally at positions of need. It’s going to be a small class due to the current roster size and available funding. It’s all absolutely quality over quantity this year.

With that being said, if we miss on both then it very well could be an absolute disaster of a class since literally everyone else in state has committed elsewhere but that’s still TBD. Hopefully the coaches can work their magic and close them both.

Last edited:
On Willie Saylor's Podcast he is discussing Joey Silva to Rutgers. During the season posters on this board commented that Silva was at a number of meets. Could make sense as Silva was teammates with Rivera at the Pam Am championships last month. May also be a reason why we didn't go after Santaniello. Silva was a 4 time Florida state champ and the # 9 overall recruit in the country. In the Pam Am tourney he lost to Daton Fix in the finals at 61kg (134 pounds).No sure why he left Michigan.

Bill any truth to Saylor's comments or could Silva be a RTC athlete.
He’s been training with Buxton so makes sense.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
But Silva?
He was a top 10 overall recruit coming out of HS as well as a 3x Super32 champ, 4x NHSCA grade level national champ, and an Ironman champion so he has a ton of accolades and prior success at the national level. It's a perfect example of an elite prospect to take a flier on regardless of the talent on the roster if he's interested especially since he has at least 2 years of eligibility left. He certainly has a relationship with Seabass from the the PR national team and hopefully wants to continue to train with him.

He was a top 10 overall recruit coming out of HS as well as a 3x Super32 champ, 4x NHSCA grade level national champ, and an Ironman champion so he has a ton of accolades and prior success at the national level. It's a perfect example of an elite prospect to take a flier on regardless of the talent on the roster if he's interested especially since he has at least 2 years of eligibility left. He certainly has a relationship with Seabass from the the PR national team and hopefully wants to continue to train with him.
I agree he was an elite talent coming out of HS......but has anyone confirmed he will be here? He could not stay eligible at Michigan and has not been in school for a little while.
My guess is if he decides to stay in NJ, he will train full time at SKWC but not enroll at RU.

One has to wonder why Saylor would say unless he wasn't specific enough to indicate team or club. Sure, take all the great talent that will come. There are no guarantees that come with the guys at the lower weights. Do we lose someone like Peterson if he feels the squeeze?

I agree he was an elite talent coming out of HS......but has anyone confirmed he will be here? He could not stay eligible at Michigan and has not been in school for a little while.
My guess is if he decides to stay in NJ, he will train full time at SKWC but not enroll at RU.
I have no idea on that or if he is even here but I would hope that if he's training at the SKWC, Goody would pull out all of the stops in order to try to get him eligible/on the roster. Sometimes these young kids just need a change of scenery and some additional guidance and/or motivation to get back on track. With that being said, if he is dead set on not returning to school then it's not the worst thing in the world either.. it's just another talented training partner for the guys.

Yes, Silva was an elite talent coming out of hs but can anyone tell me what he has done at Michigan and accomplishments in college.. I’m the biggest advocate for us adding elite prospect/walkons w/ potential.. but we know not all elite talent transitions well into college(although a big chunk does)..

Anyways, the point is yea, he was amazing in hs, but doesn’t seem college career been too stellar.. so how likely would it be he turns into elite 1% in college and does the resource spent on taking this chance makes sense?

Yes, Silva was an elite talent coming out of hs but can anyone tell me what he has done at Michigan and accomplishments in college.. I’m the biggest advocate for us adding elite prospect/walkons w/ potential.. but we know not all elite talent transitions well into college(although a big chunk does)..

Anyways, the point is yea, he was amazing in hs, but doesn’t seem college career been too stellar.. so how likely would it be he turns into elite 1% in college and does the resource spent on taking this chance makes sense?
In his very limited time competing as a redshirt his true freshman year and as a redshirt freshman during the COVID year, he only has 4 loses:

1. Seth Gross (7-10 dec) in 2020 - National Champ, 2nd place finish and 4x NQ
2. Ridge Lovett (3-4 dec) in 2020 - 2nd place finish last year, 3x NQ
3. Travis Piotrowski (2-5 dec) in 2020 - R16, 4x NQ
4. Zach Sherman (2-3 dec) in 2019 - 7th place finish last year, 4x NQ

Hard to make too much given his small sample size, but he has no bad loses and even in those loses against elite competition he held is own, losing by an average of 2 points to 3 AAs including a national champion.

He also beat Derek Spann (Buffalo) and Lane Peters (Army) in 2019 who were NQs during their careers.

As long as he is willing to commit 110% to attempting to stay eligible and getting his degree I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to give him a shot here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT