ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

I would not have guessed zero but closer to that than 50%. Do they ever share a reason why they eliminate Rutgers? A lot can be learned from that.
Other schools' academics may be better ( at least in rankings), just not really feeling the Rutgers vibe, thinks he will have more success at a more proven school, coaches have a higher pedigree ( totally disagree with that because we Ash and Pritz), college club support and funding, and campus feel.

Other schools' academics may be better ( at least in rankings), just not really feeling the Rutgers vibe, thinks he will have more success at a more proven school, coaches have a higher pedigree ( totally disagree with that because we Ash and Pritz), college club support and funding, and campus feel.
Academics is a bullshit excuse when Oklahoma freaking State is one of his choices. Their academics make Rowan look like a quality academic institution.

Academics is a bullshit excuse when Oklahoma freaking State is one of his choices. Their academics make Rowan look like a quality academic institution.

I read that as several considerations, not that all had to be met. It's a balance or a give and take. If he chooses Okie State, it will be for wrestling pedigree. Other schools will have a different and maybe better balance. Rutgers needs to learn from the feedback and work on the things that can be improved.

Damn.

It's getting really hard to even begin to understand what is happening right now but it doesn't look good optically currently unless they are secretly feeling very good something/someone.
Aren't most of our guys really young?

Aren't most of our guys really young?
Yes, we knew this class was going to be small but you still need to bring in at least one (or two) talented guys each year otherwise you end up with massive holes on the roster.. similar to now where the only senior on the roster is Esposito. Now, this can be rectified via the portal as well but there currently isn't much out there anymore.

Clearly the public sentiment from our insiders regarding Mullen isn't promising, so hopefully they feel really good about their plan B otherwise there isn't going to be anyone left at this rate. Ideally everything regarding Mullen has been a smokescreen and he is coming here, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Maybe we didn’t want Julian George as he is coached by Billy Ashnault and Anthony has been at their practices. Our coaches have more info than we have. Doubt it is a money issue as we were hot after Beard and Finesilver. Mullen may be waiting for a commitable offer from Penn State. If Mullen doesn’t get one, we might get him.

Wednesday is the day the next class of recruits can be contacted by coaches. Hopefully, we start to hear some good news.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Maybe we didn’t want Julian George as he is coached by Billy Ashnault and Anthony has been at their practices. Our coaches have more info than we have. Doubt it is a money issue as we were hot after Beard and Finesilver. Mullen may be waiting for a commitable offer from Penn State. If Mullen doesn’t get one, we might get him.

Wednesday is the day the next class of recruits can be contacted by coaches. Hopefully, we start to hear some good news.
It's not about George specifically but at this point aside from Mullen and Vazquez, all of top NJ talent in the class is headed elsewhere. Furthermore, all signs currently point to Mullen leaning elsewhere and we haven't fared very well with Delbarton kids, so Vazquez is anything but a sure thing . Landing one of, or both, of those guys obviously equates to a great/outstanding class but it appears all of our eggs are in those baskets so if we come up empty handed it could be an absolute disaster.

Jim MullenSt Joe’s285lbs
Tyler VazquezDelbarton132lbs
Anthony SantanielloBrick Memorial132lbsOklahoma
Simon RuizDelbarton157lbsCornell
Luke StanichRoxbury120lbsLehigh
Conor CollinsSouthern120lbsArmy
Jared SchoppeDelsea175lbsLehigh
Cross WasilewskiDelbarton144lbsPenn
Julian GeorgeCBA138lbsWisconsin
Michael DellagattaSt Joe’s175lbsCornell
Sabino PortellaRBC175lbsUNC

The bigger question is why are guys with SKWC ties like Portella and Dellagatta going elsewhere. Nini choosing somewhere else would be a red flag if that happens.

I don’t have any inside info on this one but don’t be surprised if Santaniello reopens his recruitment. Didnt the Oklahoma coach get canned?

Rosselli is still listed as the Oklahoma head coach and they have 4 top 100 commits for 2023. It seems that Santaniello’s brother left Navy prep. So could the brothers both be headed to RU?

Reactions: njsportsphan
The bigger question is why are guys with SKWC ties like Portella and Dellagatta going elsewhere. Nini choosing somewhere else would be a red flag if that happens.

I don’t have any inside info on this one but don’t be surprised if Santaniello reopens his recruitment. Didnt the Oklahoma coach get canned?
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't receive offers (or atleast not good ones) yet, which isn't a big deal if you land your 1st choices. The hope was probably go after the big fish and see where you land before moving to the next tier but you have to hope they are still available at that point. Those guys are unfortunately most likely causalities of the extra COVID year and having money tied up in guys on the roster for another year but to your point, if someone like Nini goes elsewhere then I agree it's a major red flag.

Rosselli is still listed as the Oklahoma head coach and they have 4 top 100 commits for 2023. It seems that Santaniello’s brother left Navy prep. So could the brothers both be headed to RU?
Rosselli is the coach and is not in any danger. He had an excellent recruiting year. After a year at Navy Prep, Vin S decided the Naval Academy is not for him. Oklahoma and UNC and Pitt seem to be his top 3 at this point.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't receive offers (or atleast not good ones) yet, which isn't a big deal if you land your 1st choices. The hope was probably go after the big fish and see where you land before moving to the next tier but you have to hope they are still available at that point. Those guys are unfortunately most likely causalities of the extra COVID year and having money tied up in guys on the roster for another year but to your point, if someone like Nini goes elsewhere then I agree it's a major red flag.
I remember when we missed out on McFadden… that hurt really bad… was it a money issue or something?? He was like #17 p4p recruit…I think it’s fine if we miss out on some mid tier recruits but when we miss out on a top tier recruit going to our club that stings..

Sonny Sasso from Nazareth has taken his 5 official visits to Virginia Tech, Clarion, Ohio State Penn State, and Oklahoma State. Since he is a local kid from the Lehigh Valley thought we would get a visit. Why Clarion over Rutgers? Last year Sasso won a Fargo title and was a Pa. state champ.

I remember when we missed out on McFadden… that hurt really bad… was it a money issue or something?? He was like #17 p4p recruit…I think it’s fine if we miss out on some mid tier recruits but when we miss out on a top tier recruit going to our club that stings..
That one was money. We simply didn't have enough to entice him to come and he wanted to be here. Virginia Tech was able to offer him much more and it paid off big time.

That one was money. We simply didn't have enough to entice him to come and he wanted to be here. Virginia Tech was able to offer him much more and it paid off big time.
Doh! shoulda just gave him the full ride or matched VT… ends up being a 4x AA… totally worth it.. 🤦‍♂️ Getting a stud is a better investment then a bunch of mid tiers imo

Kinda reminds me of fantasy football.. where u decide if u wanna draft the most expensive guys n supplement your team with the cheaper/sleeper guys or go for a more rounded scoring team… except in wrestling all the scoring is up top at nationals.. so better to follow psu blueprint of drafting.

Sonny Sasso from Nazareth has taken his 5 official visits to Virginia Tech, Clarion, Ohio State Penn State, and Oklahoma State. Since he is a local kid from the Lehigh Valley thought we would get a visit. Why Clarion over Rutgers? Last year Sasso won a Fargo title and was a Pa. state champ.
If this is Sammy Sasso’s younger brother hard to imagine him going anywhere but Ohio state..

I read that as several considerations, not that all had to be met. It's a balance or a give and take. If he chooses Okie State, it will be for wrestling pedigree. Other schools will have a different and maybe better balance. Rutgers needs to learn from the feedback and work on the things that can be improved.
Exactly. If it was academics over Rutgers, then it would be a Michigan. If it was wrestling, above team, Penn State, and Oklahoma State. Campus fit....ha! all 3 blow Rutgers away. If a kid doesn't make a school his official visit, then it is a no-brainer that it has virtually no shot. I'm telling all of you now that we are not getting him...period...end of sentence. As stated previously, we need to invest in middle weights, big time! We have enough light and heavyweights. We need allot money just for 57 and 65.

That’s a great pickup for Cornell. Mike Grey is killing it on the recruiting trail.

With Nini’s brother transferring to RU, I imagine we can expect a commitment with the younger Nini when he returns from Italy. While expected, that would a big pickup.

Reactions: JudgeSmails56
That’s a great pickup for Cornell. Mike Grey is killing it on the recruiting trail.

With Nini’s brother transferring to RU, I imagine we can expect a commitment with the younger Nini when he returns from Italy. While expected, that would a big pickup.
He's around and running a camp with SeaBass at Elite this Fri and Sat. I expect an early commitment too, and hope it's relatively soon, like this week lol, to jumpstart 2024 recruiting.

I just don't think PA kids care about an NJ school when there is such a rivalry between the two states at the high school level. I don't think having the state outline on the singlet is a good idea, unless you're trying to solely attract more NJ talent. I feel like that would have made more sense during Goodales first few years, than now.

I just don't think PA kids care about an NJ school when there is such a rivalry between the two states at the high school level. I don't think having the state outline on the singlet is a good idea, unless you're trying to solely attract more NJ talent. I feel like that would have made more sense during Goodales first few years, than now.
Yeah, never really got the nj state outline on the singlet..

NJ is a proud place. Part of the culture.
So are other neighboring states though. Why represent a rival and have the logo on the back? They should seriously consider removing it if they want top NY and PA talent. Those kids have heard the arguments of which state has better wrestlers their whole lives. Why would they then choose to go to NJ? Make it more about the school and Big10 and it will be more enticing.

So are other neighboring states though. Why represent a rival and have the logo on the back? They should seriously consider removing it if they want top NY and PA talent. Those kids have heard the arguments of which state has better wrestlers their whole lives. Why would they then choose to go to NJ? Make it more about the school and Big10 and it will be more enticing.
Any kid who intentionally chooses against Rutgers solely because of an NJ silhouette on a singlet is not going to be mentally tough enough to be a division 1 wrestler.

This seems a bit over the top.. I mean Ohio State has a giant outline of the state of Ohio on their mat and they don’t have any problem recruiting kids from PA, NJ, etc…

Ridiculous. Kids decision on where to go the school logo is at the bottom of the list.
Distance, culture, coaching, team mates, history, conference, spots…. Logo😳

Reactions: Leonard23
This seems a bit over the top.. I mean Ohio State has a giant outline of the state of Ohio on their mat and they don’t have any problem recruiting kids from PA, NJ, etc…
Iowa is literally named after the state

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT