ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

This could be interesting if it is Mason Gibson. It was reported that he signed a national letter of intent with Penn State last November. There is a November 17th article in the Johnston, Pa. Tribune-Democrat citing his signing.

Does it mean that kids will not be required to honor a signed NLI or is Penn State letting him out if it? Reminds me of our fight we had with PSU to get Suriano that eventually opened the transfer window without requiring kids to sit out.

Then again, maybe this doesn't relate to Gibson or the Tribune-Democrat made an error in its reporting. Anyway, it would good get for us.

This could be interesting if it is Mason Gibson. It was reported that he signed a national letter of intent with Penn State last November. There is a November 17th article in the Johnston, Pa. Tribune-Democrat citing his signing.

Does it mean that kids will not be required to honor a signed NLI or is Penn State letting him out if it? Reminds me of our fight we had with PSU to get Suriano that eventually opened the transfer window without requiring kids to sit out.

Then again, maybe this doesn't relate to Gibson or the Tribune-Democrat made an error in its reporting. Anyway, it would good get for us.
I don't think he signed the National Letter of Intent. I'm hearing he wants to come to Rutgers. We will have to wait and see if coach post a BOOM.

Did Mason Gibson come out of left field?
Not sure if PSU harbors any hard feelings over Suriano, but has PSU lost a championship since he left?

It seems like Gibson peeked a year or so ago. The younger Harer has beat him the last two or three times. I believe he’s ranked 18-20 at his weight class now. A couple of years ago he was top 10 overall.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
It seems like Gibson peeked a year or so ago. The younger Harer has beat him the last two or three times. I believe he’s ranked 18-20 at his weight class now. A couple of years ago he was top 10 overall.
Yeah was he inj or something?? Kinda rare to be super good early and then drop off later on in hs..

Yes, he been battling some constant injuries which have prevented him from being at the level he was previously unfortunately. He obviously has elite talent so hopefully he can stay healthy and back to where he once was (i.e. Super 32 champ, Fargo champ, etc.) but would certainly be a great pickup given his potential and relationships in PA.

Gibson has recently dropped four spots in the ranking. Perhaps Penn State has cooled its heels on him? He's a tough kid and a very good wrestler. He'd be a great get if he remained healthy. Knee injuries are tough. There have been kids on the roster who came to Rutgers with injuries or a history of injuries and never wrestled. How do injury potential and history get factored into the decision, given scarce resources?

The connection to Bassett and McCourt alone is exciting. I read about the injuries; sounds like they impacted him. Yet, he was still a great wrestler and was MVP at the Pittsburgh Classic. He may have lost to younger Harer, but that kid is def a stud as well and very lanky for that weight class, so it may have created issues for Mason who is shorter. Harer's brother will definitely fill into his body as well.

Anyhow Gibson still has high quality stuff. We're going to be very stacked in the lower weights if he comes. I really hope we can pick up some proven hammers in the upper 2 weights.

If its Gibson he seems to be dropping in the rankings so Penn State might be dropping him. Unless you're world champ you cant make the lineup there.

2x NCAA Qualifier 157 lber from Oklahoma, Jared Hill in the portal. Do we tap our farm system to land him?
Eh, pass. He's 1-4 lifetime (0-2 last year) at the NCAA tournament and doesn't really have any impressive wins in his career. Lost to Clark at the 2022 Midlands. Don't really see him as an upgrade and it seems like he would struggle in the B1G.

Yeah it’s coming.

Usually some red flags when there’s a decomittment late in the process. I think back to Art Sitkowski who decommitted from Miami to play football here. In hindsight it sounds more like a scholarship rescission than a decomittment. Hope it’s different here

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Mason Gibson would be a great fit for Rutgers. He has speed like mayweather but is built like marshawn Lynch. I think he is going to be a 4x national champ.

Can’t wait to renew my season tickets at jersey mikes

4 time NCAA champ lol... how many high school state championships has he won?

These Mccort guys are PA hammers. They have all developed a machine gun mindset. Gibson gets a lil of jersey pizazz and he will have a statue built of him at Rutgers

lol that team is loaded. let's see if he makes the lineup here. We still have Shawver next year, Harer likely coming in another year who beat him a couple times. We also have Perkins from Nazareth in that range that was a state champ last year. I guess it all depends how these guys develop and how big they get.

Gibson is a great kid and hopefully the injuries are behind him. He’s also very old for his grade and the field caught up. Never a bad thing to get into McCort. PSU let him out of anything he signed. Quality young man.

Reactions: Bobbynieds
lol that team is loaded. let's see if he makes the lineup here. We still have Shawver next year, Harer likely coming in another year who beat him a couple times. We also have Perkins from Nazareth in that range that was a state champ last year. I guess it all depends how these guys develop and how big they get.
Would be a great pickup. First off he is very talented and second getting a kid from that team is huge. They have D-1 kids all over their lineup and opens up that part of PA for recruiting. I am not worried about weights. The younger Harer is going to be very big, just like his older brother

125-Smith
133-Gibson
141-Parkins
141/49-Nini
157 then see him at 165-Harer
157-Barbosa
157/165-Ford
174-Chapman
174/184-Blanchette

Would be a great pickup. First off he is very talented and second getting a kid from that team is huge. They have D-1 kids all over their lineup and opens up that part of PA for recruiting. I am not worried about weights. The younger Harer is going to be very big, just like his older brother

125-Smith
133-Gibson
141-Parkins
141/49-Nini
157-Barbosa
157/165-Ford
174-Chapman
174/184-Blanchette
That's a nice looking line up in 2-3 years.

Reactions: runrutgersrun

125-Smith
133-Gibson
141-Parkins
141/49-Nini
157-Barbosa
157/165-Ford
174-Chapman
174/184-Blanchette
I think Hermes will have something to say about 149. Kid took Beau to OT. Gonna be interesting to see how 141-149 goes for the next 3-4 seasons. A lot of depth there. Cetta, Oliveri, Hermes, Parkins, Nini, Gibson (maybe) - yikes! Crazy to think there's a possibility of a Basset, Forest or Gibson's younger brother could end up at RU as a result. [Wishful thinking, but still a chance]

Reactions: Peteras9144
This ain't a cannon, this is like an atomic bomb if this is true. Huge. Lots of upside and opens up that other half of PA for recruiting.
Could be a very solid pickup if injuries are behind him but atomic bomb is a little much no?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT