ADVERTISEMENT

Referees with an agenda

Kenpom.com has kept Officials Rankings since the 2015-16 season. I have ZERO idea what metric is used by Kenpom to rank them. Based on Kenpom.com rankings the officials you had for the Nebraska game were ranked:

No. 28 Paul Szelc

No. 54 Lew Garrison

No. 67 Rob Kueneman

I think they need to hire more officials because the busiest officials often work more than 100 games in a season. I also think that officials should work as a crew, like they do in the NFL and MLB (I’m not sure about NHL or NBA), granted this is college and not the pros so there are so many more teams. But something needs to be done. I covered a game Saturday that featured 62 fouls and 76 free throws. Some of the calls were mind boggling bad.
How many refs are there? i.e. he's 28 out of what

Hopefully these guys don't have any more RU games because shafting us can't be good for their kenpom.

I'm still trying to figure out HOW you can be face down on the floor with the ball, roll over and pass it, and NOT get called for walking. Oh...it just so happened that a guy hit a 3 off the pass, as well, but what the ****???!!!
When did the player gain control of the ball, before or after they were on the floor?
To a point, yes. But if those plays are clear from section 214, an official on the court should be able to see it. One that one play, he pointed right at the Nebraska player and still gave to ball to them.
Not necessarily. Your angle, from above the play might be better than the angle the official had on the court.
Would be nice if coaches were allowed to challenge one call per half. You have the ability to look at the replay and it’s frustrating when so many calls are wrong. 1 challenge per half would at least help correct two bad calls.
I believe they are allowed to ask an official to go to the scorer's table and review a play to see if a flagrant foul call is warranted, even if no personal foul was even called on a play, or should be reduced to a normal personal foul.
How many refs are there? i.e. he's 28 out of what

Hopefully these guys don't have any more RU games because shafting us can't be good for their kenpom.
Kenpom ranks 200 game officials. So if someone is No. 28 they're pretty good. Doesn't mean they don't miss calls or can't have a bad game.

I think they need to hire more officials because the busiest officials often work more than 100 games in a season. I also think that officials should work as a crew, like they do in the NFL and MLB (I’m not sure about NHL or NBA), granted this is college and not the pros so there are so many more teams. But something needs to be done. I covered a game Saturday that featured 62 fouls and 76 free throws. Some of the calls were mind boggling bad.

The biggest problem with officials ...and I have been saying this for years...is that they get a lot of the calls WRONG ...because they are NOT in position to make the call

There needs to be an emphasis on this

Even though we have three refs...they should not be statues in their spots. They need to be moving far more than they do to Improve visibility sightlines to be in the right position to make the call ...and then the calls will get better

I think these two points go hand in hand. When refs are working too many games, especially games on back to back nights with travel in between - and especially when they also have a day job, as many of them do - I'd have to think their ability to get in proper position becomes compromised.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
I think these two points go hand in hand. When refs are working too many games, especially games on back to back nights with travel in between - and especially when they also have a day job, as many of them do - I'd have to think their ability to get in proper position becomes compromised.
I have to imagine that officials with day jobs don't really have typical 9-5 jobs. They would need jobs with enough flexibility to allow them to travel around the country for 5 months. While their performance might be impaired by reffing too many games, I wouldn't think their day jobs play a factor.

I have to imagine that officials with day jobs don't really have typical 9-5 jobs. They would need jobs with enough flexibility to allow them to travel around the country for 5 months. While their performance might be impaired by reffing too many games, I wouldn't think their day jobs play a factor.

I remember an article from years back that the salary for reffing games isn't enough to live on for most referees, unless they are working the top conferences and have a ton of games - so they have other jobs, too.

Even a top official like Gene Steratore had another job running a janitorial supply company. Larry Sicrotto was an assistant police chief. Officiating is usually a part-time job on top of something else for most of these guys.

And it's not that the day jobs necessarily are physically taxing, but they're mentally taxing and take hours out of their days during the week, too. A guy may be an official 100 days from November to March, traveling game to game and state to state, and also be working 30-40 hours a week. That can absolutely contribute to them being a step slow, or not completely mentally sharp.

I did notice that. Not sure what he said or did; but the referee was certainly was not happy about it. Security intervened. I too thought that he might be on his way out.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I believe they are allowed to ask an official to go to the scorer's table and review a play to see if a flagrant foul call is warranted, even if no personal foul was even called on a play, or should be reduced to a normal personal foul.

This is true, and could also be asked for in a 2/3 scenario. Last 2 minutes they can also ask for clock adjustments and last touch on OOB. College BB really needs to reel in the amount of reviews in late game scenarios. You can adjust the clock by .1 or .2 on every single made basket, and nearly every OOB play is close enough to look at in a close game. It's absurd. Give each team 1 challenge in last 2 minutes on clock or OOB play, and a 2nd if they are correct.

Be careful, guys. The Penn State board is the king of the "B1G has a conspiracy against us" rants, and from reading posts on this board I KNOW you don't want to be compared with Penn State.

Be careful, guys. The Penn State board is the king of the "B1G has a conspiracy against us" rants, and from reading posts on this board I KNOW you don't want to be compared with Penn State.
They aren’t wrong though. It’s not a conspiracy necessarily ie orders coming from Jimbo in Chicago BUT rather it’s a cultural thing for the officials who are accustomed to a traditional Big Ten style of play and the original teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT