ADVERTISEMENT

Refs & League Owe Us An Apology...

DirtyRU

All American
Gold Member
Nov 16, 2002
... yet again. Just like @OSU last year. I wanna phuckin' know why I see gestures, shooshing, etc. to the crowd from away teams during literally every game I watch on tv, and the geniuses decided this was the game they were gonna label it a technical.

Phuckin losers. Suck@$$es.

... yet again. Just like @OSU last year. I wanna phuckin' know why I see gestures, shooshing, etc. to the crowd from away teams during literally every game I watch on tv, and the geniuses decided this was the game they were gonna label it a technical.

Phuckin losers. Suck@$$es.
That call, especially at that time, was horrendous. That official is horrible.

Ridiculously bad officiating. Should never have been so close.

Shame on B1G.

And Pike we love you but you have to work Refs more to end this crap for once and for all.

I watched the game, but could not listen. I am curious what the explanation was with the Simpson technical. Did the commentators give an explanation? I am also curious if they had anything to say about the seeming inconsistency between Mag getting knocked to the floor unintentionally with no call and Cliff picking up an important foul for less severe unintentional contact moments later.

I watched the game, but could not listen. I am curious what the explanation was with the Simpson technical. Did the commentators give an explanation? I am also curious if they had anything to say about the seeming inconsistency between Mag getting knocked to the floor unintentionally with no call and Cliff picking up an important foul for less severe unintentional contact moments later.
Simpson exhibited unsporting behavior. He is a soph and should know better.
Mag was knocked over by incidental contact. Sometimes, incidental contact can be violent.
Cliff is always "reaching over". Better to contest the shots rather than try blocking everything. There is a difference between getting your hand to where the ball is and getting your hand to where the ball is going to be.

If you don’t think Cliff gets his fair share of calls then I have a bridge to sell you.

Even if incidental it may not be a technical but that’s absolutely a foul.

SMH

Reactions: bac2therac
commentators agreed with the T

Weird weird take BAC!

Never ever make that call with minutes left in the game. That was awful officiating.

Refs underneath no call. Ref furthest away makes call three seconds too late.

Mags almost knocked out…. Incidental? What? It’s still a foul if not a T.

Ball sure looked off Maryland. I never saw it change direction.

RU players get hacked. No calls but Maryland?

23-11 at the line.

Ridiculously officiating game.

Two things – – 1st, under Rule 10, when a team member is subjected to “abusive… language” by a fan his team is to be awarded a one shot technical foul. Obviously, it never happens, but neither does a player ever get a technical called for cursing at the home team’s fans. It is the first I have seen it in 50 years. Second, the foul just after the Mag no call was also “incidental contact.“

Last edited:
There is no way you can condone the T on Simpson, unless you know alot more about what went on than us TV viewers. As many have stated, it happens all the time. He did not taunt an opponent. I don't care what you say to the fans. That is run of the mill gamesmanship - T should never ever be called. If so, there would be a least a half-dozen T's every game. That is a ref inexcusably inserting himself into the game.

I don't know why so many on this board are struggling with this. It wasn't his actions that got him teed up. The T came after he yelled at the crowd to STFU while standing next to the ref. He basically gave the ref no choice.

Reactions: RW90 and TRU2RU
I don't know why so many on this board are struggling with this. It wasn't his actions that got him teed up. The T came after he yelled at the crowd to STFU while standing next to the ref. He basically gave the ref no choice.
Look this thread was started before we realized your daughter may have heard profanity at a sporting event on a college campus. Simpson should probably have been ejected from the game and possibly executed if he does it again.

Reactions: Kbee3 and G- RUnit
Again, ref should give him a warning. Wasn’t taunting other team. Can’t remember seeing a T like that ever.

Cursing at a college basketball game…I’m shocked, shocked.

Shut the F up is a fairly common phrase in NJ for what it’s worth.

Sometime you gotta believe there is a great deal of $$$$ being exchanged off camera. Tell us there isn’t a double standard going around.

Reactions: tm_nj and DirtyRU
Again, ref should give him a warning. Wasn’t taunting other team. Can’t remember seeing a T like that ever.

Cursing at a college basketball game…I’m shocked, shocked.

Shut the F up is a fairly common phrase in NJ for what it’s worth.
It is never acceptable. No warning is necessary. Don't need that crap from middle school games on up. If a player cannot refrain from unsporting behavior, the responsibility rests with the coaches and refs to deal with it.

It is never acceptable. No warning is necessary. Don't need that crap from middle school games on up. If a player cannot refrain from unsporting behavior, the responsibility rests with the coaches and refs to deal with it.
Don’t necessarily disagree with you but cursing is common place in sporting events.

Refs should never insert self in outcome.
Warning would have sufficed. That ref has often made a show of himself. Should never be about him. Was not directed at Maryland or the ref. I suppose you can be righteous about cursing but looking at the replay and the Rutgers reactions, both the team and I were shocked that was called.

I wasn’t there but guessing Simpson was subject to taunting. Been going to games for decades, I don’t recall a similar call ever.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Don’t necessarily disagree with you but cursing is common place in sporting events.

Warning would have sufficed. That ref has often made a show of himself. Should never be about him. Was not directed at Maryland or the ref. I suppose you can be righteous about cursing but looking at the replay and the Rutgers reactions, both the team and I were shocked that was called.

I wasn’t there but guessing Simpson was subject to taunting. Been going to games for decades, I don’t recall a similar call ever.
Ref shouldn't have called it at that point in the game. And Simpson shouldn't have engaged in immature behavior. Both actions very nearly cost us the game. Also no doubt that the refs were in the bag for Maryland down the stretch.

Reactions: Loyal-Son

And a player should never make "a show of himself" and thereby effect the outcome of the game. That move by Simpson was a total momentum killer. More calls like that should be made.

Reactions: TRU2RU
And a player should never make "a show of himself" and thereby effect the outcome of the game. That move by Simpson was a total momentum killer. More calls like that should be made.
And I watched it on replay and it doesn’t look like a whole heck of a lot in modern sports. The look of surprise and stunned reactions of RU players says it all.

And again, I defy you to show me a similar call. I’m wracking my brain and over decades I don’t recall a similar call.

Simpson’s behavior didn’t effect the outcome of the game. The ref with calling the T certainly did and could have easily turned the W to a L. So in my opinion that’s the far greater evil.

I agree Simpson should not have done it. But ref could have and should given him a warning. Especially where behavior not directed at ref or opposition. Refs inserting self in outcome a far bigger issue in my humble opinion and this ref has a history.

Last edited:
Look this thread was started before we realized your daughter may have heard profanity at a sporting event on a college campus. Simpson should probably have been ejected from the game and possibly executed if he does it again.
Not trying to make light of Lou’s perspective, but this made me lol. Nicely done, flux.

Reactions: fluoxetine
Personally, I had no issue with the non call when Mag was knocked down. Both players were going for the loose ball. Contact was incidental. The Simpson tech was on Derek. No reason for the excessive yapping at the fans. If you do it, you leave yourself open for a judgement call. No issues with the tech.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Personally, I had no issue with the non call when Mag was knocked down. Both players were going for the loose ball. Contact was incidental. The Simpson tech was on Derek. No reason for the excessive yapping at the fans. If you do it, you leave yourself open for a judgement call. No issues with the tech.
Give us another example where yapping at fans was called a T at the 2/3 minute mark no less. We’ll wait.

Replay doesn’t look any worse than Nebraska player mocking the RAC.

We all agree that we wish he didn’t do it. And he shouldn’t.

Far bigger issue is ref inserting self in outcome.

I'll admit it, I've both cursed and have used the term STFU at times in my life. I'm therefore not going to be a hypocrite and hold a ~20 year old athlete who is generally driven by energy/emotion and in the middle of heated competition while being denigrated all game by opposing fans to a higher standard than I might hold myself.

That being said......Fvck the refs!! 😁

The issue isn't the "bad" behavior. It's the fact that it is NEVER called a tech foul in other games. It's not listed as a foul in the rules. So there's no justification for calling it a foul. If a ref decides today he is going to enforce sportsmanship rules differently and "t up" anyone who curses at fans, then he needs to inform the teams, not make up his own set of rules for acceptable behavior with under 3 min to go in a game.

Give us another example where yapping at fans was called a T at the 2/3 minute mark no less. We’ll wait.

Replay doesn’t look any worse than Nebraska player mocking the RAC.

We all agree that we wish he didn’t do it. And he shouldn’t.

Far bigger issue is ref inserting self in outcome.
It would be hard for anyone to argue that was “sportsmanlike” behavior. It’s a judgement call.

The issue isn't the "bad" behavior. It's the fact that it is NEVER called a tech foul in other games. It's not listed as a foul in the rules. So there's no justification for calling it a foul. If a ref decides today he is going to enforce sportsmanship rules differently and "t up" anyone who curses at fans, then he needs to inform the teams, not make up his own set of rules for acceptable behavior with under 3 min to go in a game.
What specific rulebook were you looking at? I am not aware of any that don't address unsporting behavior. And in addition to the NFHS rulebook, local rec leagues and CYO ball have specific codes of conduct for those involved in games which includes spectators, coaches, players and officials. The NJSIAA now wants to know of any situations that develop beside the usual reporting of disqualifications before, during or after school sporting events.

Simpson exhibited unsporting behavior. He is a soph and should know better.
Mag was knocked over by incidental contact. Sometimes, incidental contact can be violent.
Cliff is always "reaching over". Better to contest the shots rather than try blocking everything. There is a difference between getting your hand to where the ball is and getting your hand to where the ball is going to be.

Yeah Cliff did not play smart yesterday. You could see his 5th coming the second Maryland got that offensive rebound under the basket. You knew he was going to reach.

What specific rulebook were you looking at? I am not aware of any that don't address unsporting behavior. And in addition to the NFHS rulebook, local rec leagues and CYO ball have specific codes of conduct for those involved in games which includes spectators, coaches, players and officials. The NJSIAA now wants to know of any situations that develop beside the usual reporting of disqualifications before, during or after school sporting events.
I would imagine that Simpson's behavior, along with a huge amount of shit that happens all the time, is technically against the rules. It's kind of like how it's technically against the rules to drive 70 miles per hour on the turnpike.

Reactions: mugrat86 and tm_nj
IMO the timing of the T was the most troubling. The two most impactful Rutgers players were saddled with foul trouble most of the game. And yet the visiting team had established a nice lead as the end of the game neared. Just when it looked like curtains for the home team, one of the officials called a technical foul on a visiting player and enabled the home team to have a chance to get back into the game. A technical foul for something that no one can recall ever seeing called for anything like that.
Lucky for us Maryland blew its chance. I can't help wondering if the roles were reversed and in that situation the T had been called on the home team...giving the visitors one last chance that they really didn't deserve....what the crowd reaction would have been.
Never mind...they would never have called that on the home team at that point in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT