ADVERTISEMENT

Football REPORT: Big Ten could eliminate divisions

rutgersguy1

Hall of Famer
Dec 17, 2008
I’ve brought this up as a possibility before. Looks like they’re examining the possibility to help with Alliance games. Article is paywall but the general gist is there in the tweet.

From the article:

The Big Ten currently has East and West divisions and plays a nine-game conference schedule that includes three cross-divisional games. Big Ten administrators have discussed dropping to eight games beginning in 2023 so it can create matchups with teams from the Pac-12 and ACC conferences, with which the trio has a working arrangement called The Alliance.

There also are serious discussions about the Big Ten ending divisional play with schools playing three opponents annually and cycling through the other 10 teams either every other year or two years on, two years off.

Please God, make it happen. Dissolve divisions and have the 2 highest ranked teams play in the B1G Champ Game at the end of the season.
The rumor has been out there but now it’s confirmed publicly. The PAC 12 commish had mentioned wanting to schedule games between confercences based on finish the previous season and have them scheduled just the year before instead years in advance. The B10 wants to figure it out before the 2023 season because of the tv contract and figure out if a 9th B10 game or an interconference game with the ACC/PAC12 brings more value.

Eliminating divisions would be a favorable development. Gets RU out of the annual OSU/UM/PSU gauntlet and allows us to play some B1G West teams more often. Plus, maybe the conference is realizing that 12 out of its 14 schools don’t care if OSU & UM have to play in 2 consecutive games at the end of the season (regular season rivalry week and a potential conference championship game). I imagine that’s the biggest concern relative to no more divisions — OSU & UM finishing 1/2 in a division-less conference. But whatever, I don’t care.

I’m still annoyed about the Alliance with ACC & Pac12 though. B1G had an opportunity to step up and become the “other” major conference along with the SEC, but chose to try to join forces instead. Admirable perhaps in terms of nostalgia for the integrity of the game & playing field, but likely foolish from a business perspective. We’ll see I guess.

Reactions: 1coastalknight
In this scenario I don't like the fact that a B1G champ can go without playing the second place team

Great for Rutgers fans. Now please regulate NIL please.
NIL would take more than just the B10. B10 teams, specifically the high status ones, aren't going to willingly tie one hand behind their back. They need everyone to go along and really I don't know how much regulation you can expect. It's an avenue for the players to make money and I don't know how much they will want to regulate.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Eliminating divisions would be a favorable development. Gets RU out of the annual OSU/UM/PSU gauntlet and allows us to play some B1G West teams more often. Plus, maybe the conference is realizing that 12 out of its 14 schools don’t care if OSU & UM have to play in 2 consecutive games at the end of the season (regular season rivalry week and a potential conference championship game). I imagine that’s the biggest concern relative to no more divisions — OSU & UM finishing 1/2 in a division-less conference. But whatever, I don’t care.

I’m still annoyed about the Alliance with ACC & Pac12 though. B1G had an opportunity to step up and become the “other” major conference along with the SEC, but chose to try to join forces instead. Admirable perhaps in terms of nostalgia for the integrity of the game & playing field, but likely foolish from a business perspective. We’ll see I guess.
Play the following teams annually:
Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, play each twice per season. 😜

Reactions: OldManRiver
The rumor has been out there but now it’s confirmed publicly. The PAC 12 commish had mentioned wanting to schedule games between confercences based on finish the previous season and have them scheduled just the year before instead years in advance. The B10 wants to figure it out before the 2023 season because of the tv contract and figure out if a 9th B10 game or an interconference game with the ACC/PAC12 brings more value.

Viewership value may be there if done properly? Instead of being confined to the midwest, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, and other top teams playing "top" ACC teams like Clemson, UNC, Pitt, Miami ( 🤔) , Virginia Tech and top market (not necessarily top teams)) PAC 12 Teams like UCLA, USC, Arizona State, Washington, Stanford and Cal, that may bring in large ratings versus playing Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois and watching them get the pulp beat out of them every year. This, of course, may/will change as we and other teams improve.

Viewership value may be there if done properly? Instead of being confined to the midwest, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, and other top teams playing "top" ACC teams like Clemson, UNC, Pitt, Miami ( 🤔) , Virginia Tech and top market (not necessarily top teams)) PAC 12 Teams like UCLA, USC, Arizona State, Washington, Stanford and Cal, that may bring in large ratings versus playing Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois and watching them get the pulp beat out of them every year. This, of course, may/will change as we and other teams improve.
I think it's possible. B10 teams, specifically the name brand teams, have national appeal but may be for the conference as a whole it could be helpful. It's a bigger help for the ACC/PAC12. It is nice to have some variety though.

Thing is how quick you want to implement Alliance games. Eliminating 1 conference game is the quickest way to free up schedules. If they think the 9th conference game is more valuable then it will take some time for the conference member to runoff all their previously scheduled P5 OOC games.

I think it's possible. B10 teams, specifically the name brand teams, have national appeal but may be for the conference as a whole it could be helpful. It's a bigger help for the ACC/PAC12. It is nice to have some variety though.

Thing is how quick you want to implement Alliance games. Eliminating 1 conference game is the quickest way to free up schedules. If they think the 9th conference game is more valuable then it will take some time for the conference member to runoff all their previously scheduled P5 OOC games.
Fans obviously have differing opinions, but the 9th B1G does not really move the needle for me. Playing the Western division teams, while usually easier than Eastern division teams, is not terribly interesting. To me, playing teams like Pitt, BC and Syracuse is more interesting. Also would be less of a travel burden for away games versus travelling to Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, etc.

Mandel raises a straw man. Why does he list Duke and Oregon State? And Oregon State is no slouch any more.

As mentioned above, the top B1G teams playing Clemson, UNC, Pitt, USC, Arizona State, etc will have greater viewership than the top B1G teams pummeling the bottom B1G teams annually, IMO.

Mandel raises a straw man. Why does he list Duke and Oregon State? And Oregon State is no slouch any more.

As mentioned above, the top B1G teams playing Clemson, UNC, Pitt, USC, Arizona State, etc will have greater viewership than the top B1G teams pummeling the bottom B1G teams annually, IMO.
Yea it's like what the B10 did during championship week during the pandemic between its divisions. But this would be between conferences. Variety isn't such a bad thing, with the assumption teams don't finish in the same exact spot year after year lol.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Not a fan.
Zero interest in us playing PAC 12 games. Don't care about Oregon st or Washington St. would much rather schedule local teams and old rivals for OOC

Reactions: sunsetregret
Not a fan.
Zero interest in us playing PAC 12 games. Don't care about Oregon st or Washington St. would much rather schedule local teams and old rivals for OOC
It's a fair point from a football perspective. I'd like it because it would give me a reason to travel out west and visit friends out there.

Since it has not been officially announced as to exactly how this will be worked out I can’t say I am for it. However, I am for eliminating the divisions. Starting the year with 4 or 5 built in loses is very disheartening.

3 permanent rivals?
PSU, UMD, Indiana ?
rotate the rest. I'm good with that.

And what if it's Penn St., Ohio St. and Michigan?

If you go merely geographically it would be Maryland, Penn St and Ohio St.

Sure love to be Purdue. Indiana, Northwestern and Michigan St.

Be careful what you wish for.

I’m for eliminating divisions, but before any scheduling between conferences is done, I think they should be on the same page as far as any expanded playoff format goes.

If the PAC-12 wants the benefits of games against the B1G, they should also be contributing some future voting numbers.

As of now, the PAC-12 just says they want to expand, they don’t care about numbers/requirements, just expand. That doesn’t sound like an “Alliance” to me.

NIL would take more than just the B10. B10 teams, specifically the high status ones, aren't going to willingly tie one hand behind their back. They need everyone to go along and really I don't know how much regulation you can expect. It's an avenue for the players to make money and I don't know how much they will want to regulate.

ACC and P 12 seems aboard. Thats what I meant. If OSU doesn't want to go along we will see what happens. People say Michigan and PSU wouldn't go along, but their COVID stuff says where their admins are. Its academics first. NIL and kids making money from likeness is all good...the latest nonsense is ridiculous.

I think this alliance and rhe NCAA proposing self-regulation is a step toward fixing these problems and solidifying the sport how it should be. The SEC and whatever other semi pro schools can do what they'd like.

I know this would be a pipe dream but I would not mind seeing 8 12 team conferences with a Bowl season of 42 bowl games

You play an 11 game season and the conference champs play in an 8 team play off that takes 7 games total with the winner and 2nd place playing 3 games

I would also not mind having the 2nd through 5th or 6th place teams all having their own "playoff" by playing your corresponding place holder in each conference in an 8 team format

To me that is better than the current bowl set up. If you go down to 6th place it takes 42 games and I believe we have 40 Bowl games.

It will never happen though

As a Rutgers fan, I like this. As a football fan, I think it does a poor job of deciding a champion--too much rides on what hand your dealt in scheduling. Of course there was some of this already with the interdivisional games, and for within the division clearly the East was stronger than the West, but at least with the divisions, the winner of the weaker division still had to take down the winner of the stronger division in order to win the conference.

Last edited:
Ideal RU Schedule for Max Wins:

OCC:
Wagner
Monmouth
UConn
B1G:
Northwestern
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Minnesota