ADVERTISEMENT

Football REPORT: Big Ten could eliminate divisions

I view this as a negative for Rutgers. Right now, we're in the best conference division in college football. That's premium real estate. Yearly games against Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State are valuable and they will only turn into rivalries through yearly play. Yes, I realize it makes it harder to win the conference. I still think it's more important to the longterm value of the program to develop rivalries with these schools.

Reactions: Ash_Hole
NIL would take more than just the B10. B10 teams, specifically the high status ones, aren't going to willingly tie one hand behind their back. They need everyone to go along and really I don't know how much regulation you can expect. It's an avenue for the players to make money and I don't know how much they will want to regulate.
I don't see how the NCAA (or whatever is left of it), or any of the conferences can really do anything about the NIL. Or at least, they cannot just dictate anything. They can always work something out with the players, but that would require the players to organize and agree to speak as one, which seems unlikely at this time.

SCOTUS is about as strictly constitutionalist as it's been in a long time, at the moment. So it's hard to see them not shooting down any efforts to curtail player's rights w/respect to NIL. It's not clear what will happen with other non-NIL forms of player compensation. But I would think SCOTUS, if it ever gets that far, will once again strike down any attempts to curtail player's using their unique talents to generate income for themselves, just like any other college student on scholarship.

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Ideal RU Schedule for Max Wins:

OCC:
Wagner
Monmouth
UConn
B1G:
Northwestern
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Minnesota
Nebraska
Maryland
Penn State
ACC/PAC12:
Rotate: Duke, Ga Tech, Syracuse, Stanford, Cal, Colorado
Probably will have to add Temple and rotate Wagner/Monmouth as I doubt we can play 2 FCS schools in one season. Only 1 counts towards bowl eligibility, if I recall.

Reactions: Knight Shift
The only thing that can stop NIL is Congress.
Would require a constitutional amendment. What are the odds that we'd see a new amendment that limits a college student's freedom to earn income legally? How could such an amendment not be discriminatory?

I won't go so far as to say it's impossible. But it sure seems extremely unlikely.

I also think that it's unnecessary. We're in a transitionary phase with all this. Like most significant change, this will cause disruption and some pain. But eventually, CFB will settle into a new normal. There is far, far too much money at stake for the NCAA, conferences, schools and students to not eventually work something out that keeps the money flowing.

Would require a constitutional amendment. What are the odds that we'd see a new amendment that limits a college student's freedom to earn income legally? How could such an amendment not be discriminatory?

I won't go so far as to say it's impossible. But it sure seems extremely unlikely.

I also think that it's unnecessary. We're in a transitionary phase with all this. Like most significant change, this will cause disruption and some pain. But eventually, CFB will settle into a new normal. There is far, far too much money at stake for the NCAA, conferences, schools and students to not eventually work something out that keeps the money flowing.
It wouldn't take a constitutional amendment. All Congress would have to do is exempt college athletics from antitrust laws.

As a Rutgers fan, I like this. As a football fan, I think it does a poor job of deciding a champion--too much rides on what hand your dealt in scheduling. Of course there was some of this already with the interdivisional games, and for within the division clearly the East was stronger than the West, but at least with the divisions, the winner of the weaker division still had to take down the winner of the stronger division in order to win the conference.

It should come down to ranking. So if you have an extra win on an easier schedule, you might still be ranked lower than the team with the extra loss but more difficult schedule.

Worst case scenario.

This isn't going to benefit Rutgers. The B1G is interested in helping out its cash cows get to the playoffs. It's not interested in helping Rutgers win a few games. Don't expect to get away from playing the heavies. They will also arrange with the other conferences in the Alliance to do the same, "If you let us get Duke to come to Ohio Stadium, we'll get Rutgers to go to Autzen."

Picture this as a potential schedule:
OOC:
Clemson
USC
Oregon
Bought game

B1G:
Michigan
Michigan State
Nebraska
Ohio State
Penn State
Wisconsin
Iowa
Maryland

Probably will have to add Temple and rotate Wagner/Monmouth as I doubt we can play 2 FCS schools in one season. Only 1 counts towards bowl eligibility, if I recall.
I am cool with that only with a 3-1 (or better) series set up going forward.

Worst case scenario.

This isn't going to benefit Rutgers. The B1G is interested in helping out its cash cows get to the playoffs. It's not interested in helping Rutgers win a few games. Don't expect to get away from playing the heavies. They will also arrange with the other conferences in the Alliance to do the same, "If you let us get Duke to come to Ohio Stadium, we'll get Rutgers to go to Autzen."

OOC:
Clemson
USC
Oregon
Bought game

B1G:
Michigan
Michigan State
Nebraska
Ohio State
Penn State
Wisconsin
Iowa
Maryland
I am more fine with this than probably some others on here.

Reactions: ScarletDave
Worst case scenario.

OOC:
Clemson
USC
Oregon
Bought game

B1G:
Michigan
Michigan State
Nebraska
Ohio State
Penn State
Wisconsin
Iowa
Maryland

No they won't. That's pointless. Doesn't leverage the alliance for more money (i.e. payday games with national appeal), doesn't help the brand names strengthen their schedule/ranking/national profile in the new world order, doesn't take into account the traditional rivalries the big brands will want to protect ...

you know that our yearly 3 games will be OSU/Mich or PSU/Iowa or Wisc
PSU's would be OSU or Mich/Ill/NWU

just saying

It wouldn't take a constitutional amendment. All Congress would have to do is exempt college athletics from antitrust laws.
You may have already read this, but since it's so relevant, here's what SCOTUS said about that in their opinion about NIL:

To be sure, this Court once dallied with something that looks a bit like an antitrust exemption for professional baseball. In Federal Baseball Club of Baltimore, Inc. v. National League of Professional Baseball Clubs, 259 U. S. 200 (1922), the Court reasoned that “exhibitions” of “base ball” did not implicate the Sherman Act because they did not involve interstate trade or commerce—even though teams regularly crossed state lines (as they do today) to make money and enhance their commercial success. Id., at 208–209. But this Court has refused to extend Federal Baseball’s reasoning to other sports leagues—and has even acknowledged criticisms of the decision as “‘unrealistic’” and “‘inconsistent’” and “aberration[al].” Flood v. Kuhn, 407 U. S. 258, 282 (1972) (quoting Radovich v. National Football League, 352 U. S. 445, 452 (1957)); see also Brief for Advocates for Minor Leaguers as Amicus Curiae 5, n. 3 (gathering criticisms).

Seems the court is getting out ahead of any such arguments about exemptions. I think such an exemption is as unlikely as an amendment. And I think, given that, it would require an amendment to get SCOTUS to revisit the issue.

And FWIW, I fully agree with the court on this issue. Freedom is hard when applied equally to everyone. CFB will have to find a way to do what it does with trampling player's rights.

Worst case scenario.

OOC:
Clemson
USC
Oregon
Bought game

B1G:
Michigan
Michigan State
Nebraska
Ohio State
Penn State
Wisconsin
Iowa
Maryland
I can't speak to the conference schedule but the Alliance part of it wouldn't work like that. They're trying to create marquee games and tv product. It would be previous year's 1st place vs 1st place, 2nd place vs 2nd place and so on and so forth. Similar to what the B10 did between its divisions during championship week during the pandemic.

Reactions: mildone
I think this move is getting ready to accommodate playoff expansion .
Dropping the 9th game so their room on the schedule for 3 OOC games, B1G Title game, 2 playoff games and NC ;
The Rose Bowl match-up between the B1G and PAC ain't what it used to be , so I expect if both conferences want to retain a close relationship, one OCC game for ach B1G school will be with a PAC school every year..

If the PAC stays at 12:
Programs like Note Dame and Cincinnati might be scheduled as opponents every year to make up the difference in members between the B1G and PAC.

I can't speak to the conference schedule but the Alliance part of it wouldn't work like that. They're trying to create marquee games and tv product. It would be previous year's 1st place vs 1st place, 2nd place vs 2nd place and so on and so forth. Similar to what the B10 did between its divisions during championship week during the pandemic.
That would make a lot more sense than fixed matchups each year. Although it might hinder any particular team's chances of making the playoffs.

That would make a lot more sense than fixed matchups each year. Although it might hinder any particular team's chances of making the playoffs.
The PAC12 commish mentioned this, it would be a sort of flex scheduling for the Alliance games. It would be based on the previous years finishes. So the Alliance games would be scheduled not too much in front of the upcoming season as opposed to years in advance.

It should come down to ranking. So if you have an extra win on an easier schedule, you might still be ranked lower than the team with the extra loss but more difficult schedule.
That's even worse, that would mean there would no longer be standings, which is the only part of college football where things are decided directly by what you did on the field and not what people sitting in a conference room think about you.

Reactions: ScarletDave
I view this as a negative for Rutgers. Right now, we're in the best conference division in college football. That's premium real estate. Yearly games against Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State are valuable and they will only turn into rivalries through yearly play. Yes, I realize it makes it harder to win the conference. I still think it's more important to the longterm value of the program to develop rivalries with these schools.
That is how I felt too.

Going to 8 dilutes the brand IMO as I am the guy who wanted to play more B1G games.

But if this is it, let’s make the best of it and hope we get 7 home games all the time going forward.

You play 8 B1G games- and 1 or 2 other P5 games, most likely a G% game....there is nothing in that type of schedule that would be a negative on decision making. Not when Bama is playing a Marist College type of game each year. If not two of them...

Dont take this as if I am complaining about RU in the BIG but the conferences are too big.

It is much better when you can play every school in the conference in football and twice in basketball
Me too.

You play 8 B1G games- and 1 or 2 other P5 games, most likely a G% game....there is nothing in that type of schedule that would be a negative on decision making. Not when Bama is playing a Marist College type of game each year. If not two of them...
Get me 7 home games every year and I’m happy. Would be thrilled playing more B1G than less but 7 home all the time is a good consolation.

And what if it's Penn St., Ohio St. and Michigan?

If you go merely geographically it would be Maryland, Penn St and Ohio St.

Sure love to be Purdue. Indiana, Northwestern and Michigan St.

Be careful what you wish for.
If there are 3 "permament" (nothing is permament) rivals for each school you'd have to figure it all out at once. Probably starting with the traditional trophy rivalries.. not sure what all of those are.

Wiki suggests this (latest year suggests game is not played every year now.. or CoVId was responsible):

GameTrophyTeamTeamFirst YearLatest YearMeetings
Illinois–NorthwesternLand of Lincoln TrophyIllinoisNorthwestern18922020114
Illinois–Ohio StateIllibuckIllinoisOhio State19022017103
Illinois–PurduePurdue CannonIllinoisPurdue1890201995
Indiana–Michigan StateOld Brass SpittoonIndianaMichigan State1922202166
Indiana–PurdueOld Oaken BucketIndianaPurdue18912019121
Iowa–MinnesotaFloyd of RosedaleIowaMinnesota18912019113
Iowa–NebraskaHeroes TrophyIowaNebraska1891202048
Iowa–WisconsinHeartland TrophyIowaWisconsin1894202092
Maryland–Penn StateMarylandPenn State1917202041
Michigan State–Penn StateLand Grant TrophyMichigan StatePenn State1914202132
Michigan–Michigan StatePaul Bunyan TrophyMichiganMichigan State18982021113
Michigan–MinnesotaLittle Brown JugMichiganMinnesota18922020104
Michigan-NorthwesternGeorge Jewett TrophyMichiganNorthwestern1892201875
Michigan–Ohio StateMichiganOhio State18972019115
Minnesota–Nebraska$5 Bits of Broken Chair TrophyMinnesotaNebraska1900202058
Minnesota–Penn StateGovernor's Victory BellMinnesotaPenn State1993201914
Minnesota–WisconsinPaul Bunyan's AxeMinnesotaWisconsin18902020127
Nebraska–WisconsinFreedom TrophyNebraskaWisconsin1901201912
Ohio State–PurdueOhi

I think this would be the starting point for determining 3 rivals for each team.. you can see there are issues already... I'll leave it to others to "do the math" on this one..

Illinois - NW, OSU, Purdue

Indiana - Purdue, MSU

Iowa - Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin

Maryland - *Penn State (no trophy)

Michigan State - Penn State, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota (oops.. that's four!)

Michigan - Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, *Ohio State (no trophy) (oops.. that's four!)

Minnesota - Nebraska, Penn State, Wisconsin

Nebraska - Wisconsin, Iowa

Ohio State - *Purdue (no trophy), Illinois, Michigan (no trophy)

Northwestern - Michigan, Illinois

Penn State - Maryland, Michigan State, Minnesota

Purdue - *OSU (no trophy), Indiana, Illinois

Rutgers -

Wisconsin - Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska

Last edited:
Reactions: LeapinLou
This… easier path to our 1st B1G home win in 4 years.
Yes .. do this.
Upon joining the big ten it was my dream to play the biggies yearly

in a perfect world we would have gotten good enough to be their equals and be the powerhouse on the east coast

I'm ready for the B1G to add two more teams to get to 16. Create four four-team pods. Play nine games - 3 against your pod mates, 4 against another pod (rotated annually) and then two more games against the teams in the other two pods that finished in the same place in the standings from the previous year.

Pod 1 - 3 games
Pod 2 - 4 games
Pod 3 - 1 game (1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, etc)
Pod 4 - 1 game (1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, etc)

Seems the court is getting out ahead of any such arguments about exemptions. I think such an exemption is as unlikely as an amendment. And I think, given that, it would require an amendment to get SCOTUS to revisit the issue.
It's not. What it is doing is saying that the Supreme Court is not going to grant an exemption to the law for a particular business entity ... as it should refuse to do because it's not a legislature. It's not saying Congress can't add an exemption to one of it's own laws.

It was the SC in 1922 that gave baseball the antitrust exemption. My understanding is it was exempted because it determined baseball was not interstate commerce. Thirty years later, the SC ruled professional football was interstate commerce; yet they refused to rescind the original baseball exemption. This was one of those "we're smarter than everyone else so we're just going to legislate from the bench" rulings that the SC does from time to time.

It's not. What it is doing is saying that the Supreme Court is not going to grant an exemption to the law for a particular business entity ... as it should refuse to do because it's not a legislature. It's not saying Congress can't add an exemption to one of it's own laws.

It was the SC in 1922 that gave baseball the antitrust exemption. My understanding is it was exempted because it determined baseball was not interstate commerce. Thirty years later, the SC ruled professional football was interstate commerce; yet they refused to rescind the original baseball exemption. This was one of those "we're smarter than everyone else so we're just going to legislate from the bench" rulings that the SC does from time to time.
I see what you're saying. But I think this is a case where SCOTUS would declare any such legislation enacting an exemption to be unconstitutional. As in Brown v Board of Education (overturning racial segregation).

In this case, I also think that Congress is unlikely to take the matter up. OTOH, there's a ton of money at stake. So it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Perhaps @camdenlawprof could shed some insight here?

Nice. Now the Big Ten can really stick it to us and make us play OSU, UM, PSU, MSU, Iowa, Wisconsin in one year!

Reactions: RUSK97
No they won't. That's pointless. Doesn't leverage the alliance for more money (i.e. payday games with national appeal), doesn't help the brand names strengthen their schedule/ranking/national profile in the new world order, doesn't take into account the traditional rivalries the big brands will want to protect ...
That is indeed what they said the point of the Alliance was when it was penned. But these marquee matchups - somebody's gonna lose. And once the conference heavyweights go year after year of not making the playoffs because of these matchups, all the while watching the SEC fill 6 of 8 spots or 10 of 12 spots by playing Florida A&M amd Wofford, that'll change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT