ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting RHoops trending well with Rivals Top 30 prospect

Guys who only look at star ratings and offers are lazy. There are a bunch of 4 stars over the years at places like Indiana, Nebraska, Minnesota that I would not trade for one player in the current Rutgers rotation. Purdue has about three 4 stars that I would not want at Rutgers, including their starting PG, Eric Hunter, then.Johnny Newman, Ethan Morton. I could name a lot more from other teams that I would never want on the roster...Senior Rob Phinese and his career 7 ppg.

What matters most is for a coach to identify recruits that will fit a specific role that wants for his team...like a Jalen Miller. Creating a team is not collecting individual 4 star players. If it were, Kentucky would win a Natty every year.
You're missing the point completely. Not every 4 star is great. Most of the best players on every B1G team are 4 stars

Ivey and Williams are 4 stars.

You're missing the point completely. Not every 4 star is great. Most of the best players on every B1G team are 4 stars

Ivey and Williams are 4 stars.
No, you are missing the point. There are posters here literally saying Pikiell needs to start getting 4 star recruits....any 4 star, as long as he has 4 stars next to his name.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
No, you are missing the point. There are posters here literally saying Pikiell needs to start getting 4 star recruits....any 4 star, as long as he has 4 stars next to his name.
I don’t think that's what anyone means.

It means if we don't bring in 4 star talent to go along with more developmental role players it will be unlikely that we can sustain winning year after year.

Look at all the impact players in the B1G and then see how many were 4 star recruits and how many were 3 or less

We need a wing shooter in the worst way, so this would be a fantastic get for Pike. Surprised nobody pasted his comments about RU/Pike/the RAC...

On Rutgers: “I have a very close personal relationship with coach (Steve) Pikiell. I’ve gotten along with him really well and I could really see myself playing for him and see him coaching me. I really like their school and I like their gym a lot. Their gym, it’s not like your normal college 20,000-seat arena, but it’s more of a condensed arena with people all over the floor. It’s super loud and I really like that.”

It means if we don't bring in 4 star talent to go along with more developmental role players it will be unlikely that we can sustain winning year after year.

Look at all the impact players in the B1G and then see how many were 4 star recruits and how many were 3 or less
Seems like number of stars is code word for recruiting on these boards.

Our recipe for success here is different than most other places.

Reactions: RUhobbit
Our recipe for success here is different than most other places.
There is no success with no 4 stars. That's the point. No B1G has ever had success and none will. Almost all the best players are 4 stars.

Our best 2 players are 4 stars, Harper and Cliff. We get destroyed without them tonight. Just proving the point that they are needed.

Fill in the role player 3 star gems around a few center pieces

There is no success with no 4 stars. That's the point. No B1G has ever had success and none will. Almost all the best players are 4 stars.

Our best 2 players are 4 stars, Harper and Cliff. We get destroyed without them tonight. Just proving the point that they are needed.

Fill in the role player 3 star gems around a few center pieces
Harper was not a 4 star, the two 4 stars in his class where Mamadou Doucoure and Montez Mathis. I think Ron turned out a little better. Can we let Pike run this program and enjoy the ride.

how many times are we not going to get a top player...Baylor is recruiting him yet is he a top priority for them. He speaks highly of Pike specifically..that is why the deal needs to be closed
You’re not a bad poster (obviously) but you’re emblematic of the breed who just doesn’t trust Pike. He’s done something no other coach has done at Rutgers in modern times. Stop wetting your bed about what he needs to do, just enjoy the ride and the kids who choose Rutgers.

what pike has done is stunning and I trust him. he has my full support and belief.

Hyatt was also a 4 star.

4 star is a wide range. There’s usually a pretty big difference when you see a kid who is Top 30.

75-150 are all 4 stars - it isn’t as elite of a threshold as it used to be- and not much of a distinction. 150+ is a crapshoot but there are plenty of good players out there and some things like leadership or determination are under-valued in the combine circuit

Why someone from Connecticut would choose Baylor is beyond me. UNC, Kentucky, Duke, Kansas. The true blue bloods of college basketball, sure. But Baylor? I don't know what the draw would be for a kid from the northeast. To each his own...
There was an obvious reason before NIL. Now it is more in their favor and Baylor alumni are very active in this regard. I’m not sure if our current NIL deals are on the same level playing field/ court. At one time Baylor was a pretty decent school academically. It has been known to cover up incidents of athletes in trouble with the legal system but many others have as well done the same. This would be a nice player to have .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT