ADVERTISEMENT

RIP John Chaney, Temple MBB

He and CVS were contemporaries while coaching at Cheney State in PA. According to someone on the men's board, it was John who encouraged her to take the Rutgers job back in 1995.

Anyone interested might want to check out the thread about him on the men's board. It's quite a tribute from rival fans to a great coach and highly respected person.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
We sat with him at the post-induction CVS WBB Hall of Fame party. Sweater and chains. They did a "this is your life" type presentation and he was hysterical.

Also saw him speak at an event honoring CVS down near Atlantic City.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Always loved to watch him coach. His relationship with CVS is legendary. Great man, great coach, and a HUGE supporter of women's basketball. Truly a legend. Will post some iconic articles on Coach tomorrow.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Outstanding tribute about Chaney from CVS. Long, but worth the read.
"John fought battles to create opportunities for all of us and taught us how to win when it appeared the cards were stacked against us. During the Black Coaches Association (BCA) meetings, for example, John Chaney and his good friend and colleague Coach John Thompson, (Georgetown) both stepped up to assume responsibility for speaking on behalf of all of us black coaches on controversial issues. Big John and Little John, as we called them, took the heat because they were established in their careers and had the support of their respective schools to weather the storms and not be fired for raising issues. He didn't just make us all better; he made us the best at who we were trying to become.

He touched so many lives. Coach Chaney was a father, friend, leader, mentor, hero, humanitarian, talented basketball player, and an iconic often-imitated-never-duplicated basketball coach. He was a powerful force of nature who I believed in absolutely and copied consistently. I know that God has a special place reserved for him in heaven.

I remember all of this about John Chaney, and I am left with only one conclusion: there will never be another coach, here or anywhere else, like the incomparable John Chaney. I will carry him in my heart and soul, forever. His presence in my life was transformative, and the time we spent together priceless. I hope his family knows I am forever indebted to him for all that he instilled in me. My condolences are deep and endless for our shared loss."

Last edited:
Reactions: MADHAT1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT