ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RIP Louis Orr

superfan01

All American
May 29, 2003
Seton hall head coach and Knicks players. Served as their head coach from 2001-2006 and was part of many great games between RU under Gary Waters and Seton hall. RIP.

I hope everyone repeats his name while doing a Marv Albert impression...

Louis OOORRRR.

Way too young. Did a good job at SHU and was treated unfavorably, perhaps unfairly, but more importantly, never heard a bad word about him.

Reactions: batts
I hope everyone repeats his name while doing a Marv Albert impression...

Louis OOORRRR.
Remember him well all the way back to his Syracuse playing days... I was sitting a few rows from the floor at the RAC for the highly anticipated "Syracuse and Bouie and Louie vs RU and James Bailey" game in 1978, due to a friend in the RU band giving me his ticket because he was ill and couldn't attend. It was the only live game that I was able to see Louis Orr play in.

RU beat 10th ranked Syracuse 77-73, and Bailey had a great defensive game, but a sub-par offensive game... The game was televised nationally, and my brother back home in Ohio watched the game... When I told him I was at the game, he told me that he'd watched it, and he began repeatedly imitating Marv Albert during one of Bailey's most memorable plays that occurred under the basket right in front of me.... "Rejected by Bailey! Rejected AGAIN by Bailey!!!" Great memories.. RIP Louis Orr.

Last edited:
Dick Gaines died today too, rough week for the Hall.

Dick Gaines teamed with Wally Choice and Hal King Lear to lead the Easton Madisons of the Eastern League. The trio were three great Afro-American players. Choice from Montclair was the team captain at Indiana, Lear one of the greatest players in Philadelphia high school history has his Jersey retired by Temple, and Seton Hall has retired Gaines’ Jersey. Arenas always sold out as fans flocked to watch these three great scorers play together. More importantly, they were recognized as three great human beings. They are now all deceased.

Was at that game in the student section. My buddies and I wrapped our heads in red crepe paper and went as the “knight heads”. What a great atmosphere; the RAC was rocking. The game was on regional TV on NBC with Marv Albert and Bucky Waters.

Reactions: DirtyRU
Was at that game in the student section. My buddies and I wrapped our heads in red crepe paper and went as the “knight heads”. What a great atmosphere; the RAC was rocking. The game was on regional TV on NBC with Marv Albert and Bucky Waters.
ECAC Game of the Week. Sat like Row 8 about the forty yard line (just to the left of the scorer's table). RIP MR. Orr.

Dick Gaines teamed with Wally Choice and Hal King Lear to lead the Easton Madisons of the Eastern League. The trio were three great Afro-American players. Choice from Montclair was the team captain at Indiana, Lear one of the greatest players in Philadelphia high school history has his Jersey retired by Temple, and Seton Hall has retired Gaines’ Jersey. Arenas always sold out as fans flocked to watch these three great scorers play together. More importantly, they were recognized as three great human beings. They are now all deceased.
Wow thanks for the great info .

The Waters and Orr era doesn't feel that long ago. Crazy.....
Man it’s that long ago ? If waters would have had the same success at rutgers that Orr did at seton hall waters would have been an all time great . Instead Orr gets fired at seton hall .
Fun games during those years. RIP Louie

Reactions: T2Kplus20
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT