ADVERTISEMENT

Ron Harper Jr will go down as the best RU basketball player in program history

I think kyk just went with a click-baity type of headline, which was unnecessary and unfounded at this stage. I also don't like putting this type of expectation on the kid.

But as Shack said, kyk's real message that perhaps is being lost because of the sensationalistic headline is that Harper is killing the offseason and might become our best player this coming year. kyk usually has pretty good "inside" sources, so this is very good to hear.

If true, we will be squarely on the NCAA bubble.

kyk sensationalizing? Never! Lol.

But I think Harper could be a best since the 70’s Scarlet Knights.

Last edited:
If we shoot 25 free throws a game (that is a lot), and we increase our FT percentage by 0.07%, that would give us an additional 1.75 points per game. If some of those additional makes are on the front end of a 1-1, instead of 1.75,we would score a little more than 2 more points per game.

Two sides to this equation. We definitely would benefit greatly to shooting FTs better. However, last season our opponents only shot 66.5% from the line which made us the 18th best team in the country in FT against. That "luck" is unlikely to continue this season.

Two sides to this equation. We definitely would benefit greatly to shooting FTs better. However, last season our opponents only shot 66.5% from the line which made us the 18th best team in the country in FT against. That "luck" is unlikely to continue this season.
Its categorized as luck. I've always thought our D and physicality make games sloppy enough that they affect the other team, even at the line...

That isn’t luck...that Pike and staff spending time on FT defense!

Interesting concept. Never thought about that.
Could be wrong, but it seems like something that would normalize over the course of a season unless we had a real affect, or if we generally play teams that are bad free throw shooters

Harper will never lead Big East in scoring
Therefore
Douby > Harper
Q.E.D.
Douby was a one dimensional player without a great handle as I remember. Don't remember him as a great defensive player either, but they don't play any defense in the NBA so it doesn't really matter. Harper is an all around player.

Could be wrong, but it seems like something that would normalize over the course of a season unless we had a real affect, or if we generally play teams that are bad free throw shooters

In Coach Pikiell’s 3 years we have been: 293, 96, 18 in Opp FT%. I would think it is a stat that normalizes over several seasons. Some years “lucky” [2019], some years “unlucky”[2017] and some years neutral “luck” [2018].

He had a lot of baby fat yr 1. I do expect to see him in much better shape next maybe not Eugene but he will be in much better shape physically

Reactions: satnom and Scangg
Easy killer.

Listen I would love if your prediction came true as much as anyone, but can we see your prediction come true in B1G play before we call Springfield?
Ha he doesnt have to call Springfield i'll tell them myself i'm going up there this weekend with my daughters AAU team for some Tourny Ball!!!

Douby was a one dimensional player without a great handle as I remember. Don't remember him as a great defensive player either, but they don't play any defense in the NBA so it doesn't really matter. Harper is an all around player.

As a freshman, he was. His handled improved a lot as a sophomore (1.7 ast / 1.9 tov as a freshman, 3.4 ast / 1.7 tov as a soph), then his stats regressed as a junior as he was constantly double and triple teamed.

I do think that Harper's a more rounded player, though not as much of a pure scorer.

John Battle played like 9 years in the NBA. Underrated player in my opinion.
-----
John Battle went from an unnoticed player, to a, who the hell is that?, for me.....he had the biggest improvement from one season to the next, that I can remember.

we can all hope that Harper makes such a leap.... maybe he can

Reactions: RAA-1 and shields
Loved Battle because he was two years ahead of Pearl Washington. And Pearl lasted what 3 years in the NBA. But John got no publicity and had longer NBA career.

The thing about Douby is that even as a freshman he was a high-usage guy. That team was basically Herve, Douby, and Shields.

Harper was more medium-usage. There's going to have to be adjustments made by either the coaching staff or by him to get him more possessions, especially since the team is relatively balanced and should have a pretty even distribution of minutes and shots. So in that sense, it's hard to see him breaking out in a way that would make him an all-timer.

For comparison's sake, 20.5% of possessions with Harper on the floor ended with him taking a shot. During Myles Powell's freshman year at SHU, 26% of possessions with him out there ended with a Powell shot. And that was on a team with lots of other weapons (Carrington, Delgado, Nzei, Rodriguez, Sanogo). Carsen Edwards as a freshman at Purdue was at 28.5%.

So it's important to keep that in mind. There's a theory that guys who are high-volume scorers tend to play like that from Day 1, and the big change usually comes from minutes played, not increased usage rate.

OTOH Kaleb Wesson on OSU went from 21.4% as a freshman to 27.3% as a sophomore. That could be the blueprint for Harper (different playing styles, of course).

I highly doubt he can guard 1-4. But he doesn’t need to anyway. 2-4 would be great.

He’s clearly got the best overall “game” so I’m happy to hear he is growing into his body to get to the next step. Did he get any taller by any chance?

@kyk1827

Its categorized as luck. I've always thought our D and physicality make games sloppy enough that they affect the other team, even at the line...
It is interesting that you should say that. I remember once Rutgers having the highest free-throw against percentage in the nation, or within the top couple. I said to the coach that this was bad luck, and he responded that it wouldn’t happen if they had done a better job of beating the opponents up.

I highly doubt he can guard 1-4. But he doesn’t need to anyway. 2-4 would be great.

He’s clearly got the best overall “game” so I’m happy to hear he is growing into his body to get to the next step. Did he get any taller by any chance?

@kyk1827
I agree he'll never match up regularly with a PG but in case of a switch or rotation he can handle it. I haven't heard about him getting taller, still 6'5 (not sure what he's listed at but he's 6'5 in real life)

Reactions: RUsojo
If we shoot 25 free throws a game (that is a lot), and we increase our FT percentage by 0.07%, that would give us an additional 1.75 points per game. If some of those additional makes are on the front end of a 1-1, instead of 1.75,we would score a little more than 2 more points per game.

7%, not 0.07%.

Phil Sellers was a first team All American who led Rutgers to the Final Four. That is what Harper has to measure up to for the title of greatest Scarlet Knight ever.
And is still all time men’s scoring leader.

i’m hearing he is having a monster off-season, transforming his body more and showing the versatility to guard the 1-4. His length has been killing guards and hes been banging around 4’s down low. He’s too big for guards to cover and too good off the dribble for 4’s to cover. He’s going to be our first player drafted since Douby. He’ll be a 3-4 year player but from what I’m hearing, expect to see him be the best player on the team this upcoming season and imo I think he can go down as the best player in program history. James Bailey is way before my time but thats 40 years ago and the game has changed a whole lot since that time
You want to say best of modern era or last 25 years go ahead. Best of all time is going to far out on a limb. We had Bailey, Phil Sellers, Bobby Lloyd and you might add Hollis Copeland in there. They were great college players. Eddie Jordan was a monster at guard with those guys

You want to say best of modern era or last 25 years go ahead. Best of all time is going to far out on a limb. We had Bailey, Phil Sellers, Bobby Lloyd and you might add Hollis Copeland in there. They were great college players. Eddie Jordan was a monster at guard with those guys
I guess it’s all relative with how much the game has changed. Those guys were great during their era im sure.

I think regardless of era you have to look at "greatness" as to what did those players do for RU and how did the compare to other players in their era. As some have said Bailey and Sellers were AA. That my young friend defines greatness. Hopefully we can develop a few more AA and maybe RH has the most upside

Guys Sellers was special. No need to knock Harper as he is a very very good player. Not fair to compare him to Sellers at this point. Lets wait and see how his career goes then we can compare

Guys Sellers was special. No need to knock Harper as he is a very very good player. Not fair to compare him to Sellers at this point. Lets wait and see how his career goes then we can compare

When someone, in this case kyk, says a R hoops player could be the best of all time, then *HE* is comparing that player to Sellers (and Lloyd, Bailey etc). So kyk is doing the comparison.

Last edited:
I think regardless of era you have to look at "greatness" as to what did those players do for RU and how did the compare to other players in their era. As some have said Bailey and Sellers were AA. That my young friend defines greatness. Hopefully we can develop a few more AA and maybe RH has the most upside

Agree. It's very difficult to compare players across eras. In terms of "greatness", though, you can compare accolades and accomplishments - which puts the 70s guys on a fairly high shelf.

If you want to qualify to "best player in 25 years" or whatever, that's a different conversation.

No knock on Harper. He has the ability to be a great player. But to compare a freshman who played on a team with a losing record to a player who was a first team All American on a Final Four team, which is what the OP was doing, is absurd.

No knock on Harper. He has the ability to be a great player. But to compare a freshman who played on a team with a losing record to a player who was a first team All American on a Final Four team, which is what the OP was doing, is absurd.
Again it's all relative. Basketball is basically a different sport today.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
KYK did not see Roy Hinson play either. One of the best shot blockers I have ever seen.

He can't be serious. All American is top 5 among all college basketball players in the country. It is easy to say basketball has changed when he didn't live through the earlier periods. It was so much harder to make the NCAA than it is today. There were only 23 teams for a while and than 32 for many years and only one team from each league which now sometimes has 8 or more teams from one league. Sellers was the man as a scorer and a rebounder. He set the tone for the entire team. Bailey, Hinson, Dabney, Jordan and Douby were also very special. Harper is outstanding but these guys were All Americans. I hope Ron makes it but he must improve leaps and bounds for the next 3 years.

Don't forget Battle, Big Ten had list of top RU players and Battle was like number 6.

ADVERTISEMENT