ADVERTISEMENT

RU Athletics caught lying about football attendance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rutgers announced a crowd of 40,065 for the Wagner game.

Unfortunately for the RU athletic department, modern day cell phones are equipped with cameras.

Here are a few more pictures showing a vast number of empty seats.

The Rutgers athletic department has been lying about football attendance for years, as proven by the FOIA request made last year by NJ.com that showed the school inflating numbers by as many as 20,000 per game. President Holloway needs to tell Pat Hobbs to stop his department from doing this because it's embarrassing the university. Show some integrity and start telling the truth!
You will never see a full stadium prior to kickoff at Rutgers. This is because there are large parking lots nearby used for tailgating. At other stadiums people have to park far away, bus or walk to the stadium and then enter.
Go on collegegridirons.com and check out the maps views of the stadiums and you will see how little parking in nearby.

I was disappointed in the attendance.

At no point in time was the student section full. This is verified visually, and by the fact that a number of students came to sit with their parents in 106 and were never in the student section. FWIW, they all left at halftime.

I get that it's Wagner, but a lot of top-tier schools schedule cupcakes and still sell out the venue. We can't do that because we're not a top-tier program and we're not located in the middle of Butfuk, Louisialahoma where there's nothing else to do on a Saturday.

I've long said that there's a solid argument to be made for giving tickets away to high school programs, youth groups, charity groups, etc. However many it takes to give the appearance of a full - and loud - stadium. Atmosphere is important and I'd be delighted to have the stadium full of enthusiastic yutes as opposed to bare aluminum.

Last edited:
Or, if you do because you’re still in the building stages and you’re trying to reach a bowl game, and these bodybag games are an essentially a guaranteed win, and most if not all teams have patsies on the schedule, you make the game homecoming. If you have that has homecoming, he will get a much larger crowd, and some significant excitement in the place.
That would be a good compromise if these games need to exist.

Why would the NCAA care about a school’s reported attendance?
The NCAA requires average attendance of 15,000 to maintain Football Bowl Subdivision membership.

Based on WSJ analysis of scanned tickets, dozens of FBS teams fall short of this requirement. So the universities simply lie to the NCAA, and the NCAA pretends not to notice.

This could be this biggest scandal in NCAA history. IMNSHO the only path forward is for RU to retroactively forfeit the games we already played and cancel the rest of the season. We then need to self impose a ten year ban on all NCAA sports, followed by an indefinite ban on all postseason games for the remainder of all time. All future revenues from sporting events should be pledged/donated to charities dedicated to helping those people whose lives have been ruined by sports teams exaggerating their attendance.

The NCAA requires average attendance of 15,000 to maintain Football Bowl Subdivision membership.

Based on WSJ analysis of scanned tickets, dozens of FBS teams fall short of this requirement. So the universities simply lie to the NCAA, and the NCAA pretends not to notice.

"To maintain FBS status, a school must average 15,000 in paid or actual attendance per game at least once every two seasons."

How 'bout maybe you go jump off a bridge, asshole.

Once again this troll is grinding his personal axe under a new name which he just registered. He has been banned well over a 100 times under multiple names for always engaging in this behavior. This name will now join that list (along with the name he's currently been using to like his own posts, RU2K4).
Oh dang! What were the other handles?

Reactions: TRU2RU
Once again this troll is grinding his personal axe under a new name which he just registered. He has been banned well over a 100 times under multiple names for always engaging in this behavior. This name will now join that list (along with the name he's currently been using to like his own posts, RU2K4).
Amazing

That’s great, but they’re a ranked team. How did 1-3 VT which we beat the wheels off manage to mostly fill their place against Pitt?

Blacksburg, Va.

He's got a point. Virginia Tech is very much a football school, and it is located in the middle of f'n' nowhere. I know: before we returned to NJ in 2012, I interviewed with a company in Blackburg, drove about 1.5 hours down from Charlottesville. There's just nothing down there. Contrast that with University of Virginia, which is a basketball/lacrosse/swimming/baseball school well before football enters into the picture. They rarely if ever fill their stadium: the last time they had a sellout was over 15 years ago.

And Pitt is one of their long time rivals from the Big East where the rivalry has continued in the ACC. So it's not a surprise that they get a big turnout for that game.

"To maintain FBS status, a school must average 15,000 in paid or actual attendance per game at least once every two seasons."

How 'bout maybe you go jump off a bridge, asshole.
I thought that’s why Temple got kicked out of the big east (documented attendance issues)

He's got a point. Virginia Tech is very much a football school, and it is located in the middle of f'n' nowhere. I know: before we returned to NJ in 2012, I interviewed with a company in Blackburg, drove about 1.5 hours down from Charlottesville. There's just nothing down there. Contrast that with University of Virginia, which is a basketball/lacrosse/swimming/baseball school well before football enters into the picture. They rarely if ever fill their stadium: the last time they had a sellout was over 15 years ago.

And Pitt is one of their long time rivals from the Big East where the rivalry has continued in the ACC. So it's not a surprise that they get a big turnout for that game.
Love Charlottesville & UVA
Simply stunning

Blacksburg is also very nice
Not at Charlottesville level though IMO

I thought that’s why Temple got kicked out of the big east (documented attendance issues)

That's what was floated around publicly. Behind the scenes, though, was the fact that Temple didn't have an on campus stadium. Playing at the Vet presented major scheduling logistical issues for the Big East, as Temple usually couldn't schedule home games until November due to the Phillies having it tied up through the end of September for the regular season and possibly the end of October for the post-season. Factor in also sharing it with the Eagles at the same time and it was a nightmare for the Big East.

Reactions: BLewis1968
One poorly attended game is not going to affect a recruit's perception of the program. Crowds will be there for Michigan State, Ohio State, and other Big Ten games, and we had good crowds at our other games, especially the student section.

Scarlet Jerry

Reactions: RUfromNJ
Presumably, you’re banning him by IP address too, yes? So he’s using a VPN or, worse, making the effort to spoof his IP. Which demonstrates a seriously high level of obsessive looser-ness.

Would be a PITA for you mods, but does the Rivals platform support having new users go through a probationary period where their first N posts must be reviewed before appearing on the forum? That would put an end to the trolls.

Could do the same with locking out the ability to give likes (or other reactions). Wait until the user clears the probationary post requirement before they can like stuff. That takes care of some of the like-accounts. Would piss off some of the CE boarders who have been using additional accounts to do that over the years, though.
Even something as simple as new members being barred from creating new threads for a period of time, or until they've made X posts in other threads, would go a long way.

Politi attended yesterdays game as a fan

He wrote about his experience on nj.com but it’s behind a paywall

Can someone summarize ?

I’m thinking he includes a few backhanded compliments

All fanbases to some extent complain about play calling, coaches and poor QB play. At RU we complain after wins or bitch about a 19 year QB and the OC who actually has credibility. Only they do this why? Because we have to see the errors of our ways being somewhat optimistic and yes hopeful. We don’t really understand that THEY know better. Got it … Al is a prime example of why ? They mock and deride a guy who is over the top sometimes but is what fans who love their school normally act. Like NJ … Rutgers has a tendency to torch its own. Be critical but be sure .

Can someone summarize ?

Big Steve should have at least worn something Red … maybe that Red RU thong he received 3 Christmas’ ago ?

:raises hand:

I paid for four season tickets that weren't used. I likely count against that 40k.
Yes you and thousands of tickets that were allocated to 3rd Party Sellers for sale and never were finally sold. RU in the past says sold out. wrong. Credit given back to the 3rd Party sites.

Reactions: Fat Koko

Can someone summarize ?

Politi wrote he has covered hundreds of Rutgers football games as a reporter since 1996.

Steve went to the boardwalk and ate food there. He also bought a red shirt featuring a pizza image with the Block R above it.

He wandered around the parking lots then the stadium talking to fans.

When he went to show his ticket to get in the stadium, he couldn't figure out the phone app. Steve became extremely concerned he would appear as a hypocrite if he entered late because he complains about late-arriving fans in his columns.

Politi reported the scoreboard, not the horn, was too loud, which he determined was due to the fact he was sitting near the scoreboard and far from the horn.

Steve wrote "empty" three times, adding the crowd "thinned out" toward the end.

After the game, Steve put on his press pass and asked Schiano about the fan experience. Greg said, "it’s got to be a family experience to go to a Rutgers game,"

If anyone wants to know the actual number of filled seats all they have to do is count all the complaints about game experience on this board.
Example : after the Wagner game there were 32,649 complaints about the pizza promotion that game, that's the actual attendance , not the announced crowd!!!!!
So ,for attendance go by the non football complaints , not what RU claims

Lol people just go around all day looking for something to complain about and social media gives everyone a platform to get on their proverbial soap box. Next they will be mad about a basketball player being listed as 6'8" when he's really 6'6"
agree

must be a rutgers100 guy so I'm all for banning him givenit's his first post and it's obvious a troll attempt

I do think however, RU should go to local HS/Middle Schools and give out free tickets to up the attendance, community good will, help raise the level of appreciation for the university and more.

better to make money on the concessions than lose it all for an empty seat

I'm amazed that people whine so much about this. Who, outside of a few on thus board, gives a crap? Does the general public care? No. People who worry about this should sit down and rank all the good and bad things in the world and see where the accuracy of RU football attendance ranks. I've had cancer twice and a stroke, but have 3 great daughters and 7 healthy, almist perfect grandkids. RU football attendance numbers doesn't even make the list.
Yep…can’t win…20 years ago Rutgers used to announce the gate attendance while just about every other school announced total tix distributed for the game. Now people complaining the opposite. Media and others always looking for a conspiracy.

Reactions: sct1111
I never worked for a successful company that blamed poor sales on the customer’s inability to appreciate how great our product was.

If RU is embarrassed about the crowd size they should figure out what they need to fix.
Agree

I never worked for a successful company that blamed poor sales on the customer’s inability to appreciate how great our product was.

If RU is embarrassed about the crowd size they should figure out what they need to fix.
They're embarrassed? According to who?

Need to fix? Winning fixes it.

Reactions: Bagarocks
1 post - this must be very important to you.
If we were losing they'd be saying its the end of the world... like they were BEFORE the season started. Asshats.. the lot of them. They attack whatever they can.

OP should be not be titled "Rutgers caught lying.." it should be "Rutgers always reports tickets sold..".. there is no "news" about this.. nothing to "catch".. nothing to "investigate"...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT