ADVERTISEMENT

RU Athletics caught lying about football attendance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just figured it out.. this is a teaser for a near-future Star-Ledger / NJ.com story along the same lines. They anonymously post it here to "fluff" the audience.

See? People are talking about it. "Rutgers fans say.."

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
The NCAA requires average attendance of 15,000 to maintain Football Bowl Subdivision membership.

Based on WSJ analysis of scanned tickets, dozens of FBS teams fall short of this requirement. So the universities simply lie to the NCAA, and the NCAA pretends not to notice.
Do you really think our average attendance is less than 15K?

I do think however, RU should go to local HS/Middle Schools and give out free tickets to up the attendance, community good will, help raise the level of appreciation for the university and more.

better to make money on the concessions than lose it all for an empty seat
Pretty sure schools cannot give free tickets to HS kids, since they could be recruitable & thus would be a non permissible benefit to a possible recruit. They can however give free tickets to middle school students before they enter HS

I was disappointed in the attendance.

At no point in time was the student section full. This is verified visually, and by the fact that a number of students came to sit with their parents in 106 and were never in the student section. FWIW, they all left at halftime.

I get that it's Wagner, but a lot of top-tier schools schedule cupcakes and still sell out the venue. We can't do that because we're not a top-tier program and we're not located in the middle of Butfuk, Louisialahoma where there's nothing else to do on a Saturday.

I've long said that there's a solid argument to be made for giving tickets away to high school programs, youth groups, charity groups, etc. However many it takes to give the appearance of a full - and loud - stadium. Atmosphere is important and I'd be delighted to have the stadium full of enthusiastic yutes as opposed to bare aluminum.
some good points, but honestly our students didn’t do anything instead here that Louisialahoma students can’t do. the opponent was pitiful, the game was barely worth watching even for diehards. Wagner is the payday game opponent for payday game teams. Blame 2.0 for the attendance on Saturday. Softest FCS in America,

Yep…can’t win…20 years ago Rutgers used to announce the gate attendance while just about every other school announced total tix distributed for the game. Now people complaining the opposite. Media and others always looking for a conspiracy.
The media didn’t start this thread.

The media didn’t start this thread.
Ok. But media is typically one culprit for raising things like this but so are the old RU 1000 or whatever they were called as well as the small portion of the NJ public looking for things to ‘stir the pot’. In these cases, they don’t do the research. They only do enough to state their premise which is typically superficial but plays into the gullible public.

Reactions: RUBOB72
Rutgers announced a crowd of 40,065 for the Wagner game.

Unfortunately for the RU athletic department, modern day cell phones are equipped with cameras.

Here are a few more pictures showing a vast number of empty seats.

The Rutgers athletic department has been lying about football attendance for years, as proven by the FOIA request made last year by NJ.com that showed the school inflating numbers by as many as 20,000 per game. President Holloway needs to tell Pat Hobbs to stop his department from doing this because it's embarrassing the university. Show some integrity and start telling the truth!
Worst thread title ever and worst first post ever candidate all in one shot. Impressively epic fail.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Pretty sure schools cannot give free tickets to HS kids, since they could be recruitable & thus would be a non permissible benefit to a possible recruit. They can however give free tickets to middle school students before they enter HS
It shouldn’t be done directly through the school. They need to do it through the town recreation departments. If we’re scheduling a game like Wagner that should probably be part of the point. That game should be penciled in to establish community. There should be a ticket offer going out to every NJ hometown of active players and coaches. The rec departments do a great job marketing high school football game promos to the community. This should be expanded to that Rutgers game each year.

Reactions: Local Shill
It shouldn’t be done directly through the school. They need to do it through the town recreation departments. If we’re scheduling a game like Wagner that should probably be part of the point. That game should be penciled in to establish community. There should be a ticket offer going out to every NJ hometown of active players and coaches. The rec departments do a great job marketing high school football game promos to the community. This should be expanded to that Rutgers game each year.

I’d like to add to this because I thought of something else to this point. Part of the challenge with getting more NJ families throughout the state to attend games are K-12 travel and rec sports (Saturday football and soccer commitments). For one day a year, if RU was giving these towns blocks of ticket offers they might actually plan flag football scheduling around it (as an example). The Boardwalk also makes for a fun day for kids. If advertised right - those seats would be filled for sure.

I’d like to add to this because I thought of something else to this point. Part of the challenge with getting more NJ families throughout the state to attend games are K-12 travel and rec sports (Saturday football and soccer commitments). For one day a year, if RU was giving these towns blocks of ticket offers they might actually plan flag football scheduling around it (as an example). The Boardwalk also makes for a fun day for kids. If advertised right - those seats would be filled for sure.
doesnt explain the attendance disparity some allege between our games and games elsewhere. in reference to yesterday, Schiano cant have it both ways. Schedule an extreme cupcake and few will care. Cant say i blame them. The Arthur Kill Bowl rematch lost its tremendous, brilliant lustre in Year 2.

My guess is we dont schedule them again next year, but then again the three teams below them in Sagarin may not have any suitable open dates left.

• Haha
Reactions: Bagarocks
Politi attended yesterdays game as a fan

He wrote about his experience on nj.com but it’s behind a paywall

Can someone summarize ?

I’m thinking he includes a few backhanded compliments

I only skimmed through the first few paragraphs, which were mainly about noting how he spent 15 years complaining about people not being in their seats for kickoff, then detailing all the things he did at the boardwalk, by chance glancing at his watch and seeing it was already like 3:28, running to get into line, realizing he forgot to download his ticket backing up the line behind him, and technically getting to his seat a couple minutes before actual kickoff only because it ended up being so delayed. Then came a timestamped outline of the game which I didn't read.

My guess is we dont schedule them again next year, but then again the three teams below them in Sagarin may not have any suitable open dates left.
I know you meant this simply as your usual dig on Schiano, but since Wagner is actually leading their division I had to go look this up to see if it’s true. It’s not (Wagner isn’t 4th from the bottom in Sagarin).

But man are those boys in Staten Island getting the shaft in Jeff’s system. He has them ranked behind both teams they beat. Took a quick look at their schedule and while a long shot, winning out the rest of the way isn’t out of the question for them. Think I’ll adopt them as a second team to root for the rest of the way. They weren’t close to as bad as they were last year. Maybe I’ll add their coach to my stock tracker for fun. What do you say Shelby?

Ok. But media is typically one culprit for raising things like this but so are the old RU 1000 or whatever they were called as well as the small portion of the NJ public looking for things to ‘stir the pot’. In these cases, they don’t do the research. They only do enough to state their premise which is typically superficial but plays into the gullible public.
What on earth is “typically?” a culprit? You have the ACTUAL culprit. You know who started this thread and it wasn’t a newspaper or radio station or the Rutgers 1000 (although I guess it’s always possible he’s a member; who knows?)

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
Nope. Rutgers will clear the NCAA 15,000 threshold, measured by NCAA bylaw definitions.
I love when people say stuff that they think makes them sound sophisticated and urbane, but it's actually... ya know... stupid.

The "definition" is tickets sold or turnstiles count, for at least one year in any consecutive two year period. It's not complicated.

This thread is just silly. Just tell it like it is. We played a horrible FCS team in the wake of a multi day rain storm that left behind a muddy mess making for miserable commute / tailgate conditions. There were road closures all over the place in north state so I’m sure around RU the same was the case and even if not, folks with a drive assumed the trip would be a hassle. Without question, plenty of fans, season ticket holders and casual fans that legitimately purchased tickets decided not to go for this reason. So what? If we beat Wisconsin we’ll have a packed house for Michigan State - no question. We’ll have a pretty good crowd regardless. How can anyone compare RU vs Wagner attendance to an actual ACC match up (even for a down VTech team). It’s apples and oranges.

I love when people say stuff that they think makes them sound sophisticated and urbane, but it's actually... ya know... stupid.

The "definition" is tickets sold or turnstiles count, for at least one year in any consecutive two year period. It's not complicated.
How many college football programs have failed the 15,000 test? Dozens. The NCAA not only ignores reality, but supports members lying to it.

How many universities have sponsors purchase discounted tickets nobody will use to boost fake attendance figures?

I do think however, RU should go to local HS/Middle Schools and give out free tickets to up the attendance, community good will, help raise the level of appreciation for the university and more.

better to make money on the concessions than lose it all for an empty seat
I was disappointed in the attendance.

At no point in time was the student section full. This is verified visually, and by the fact that a number of students came to sit with their parents in 106 and were never in the student section. FWIW, they all left at halftime.

I get that it's Wagner, but a lot of top-tier schools schedule cupcakes and still sell out the venue. We can't do that because we're not a top-tier program and we're not located in the middle of Butfuk, Louisialahoma where there's nothing else to do on a Saturday.

I've long said that there's a solid argument to be made for giving tickets away to high school programs, youth groups, charity groups, etc. However many it takes to give the appearance of a full - and loud - stadium. Atmosphere is important and I'd be delighted to have the stadium full of enthusiastic yutes as opposed to bare aluminum.
I know for a fact that at least one local district, right across the river, gets dozens of tickets for each game. I’ve picked up a few myself for teammates of my son‘s youth team. But, my wife also told me that her super has a tough time giving them away and a lot go un-used. I would guess that this is happening elsewhere. RU is trying to get butts in the seats. Demand is just not there right now. A few more wins will change that. I will say on the youth day, our team had a pretty good showing and the first timer families and kids really liked the Boardwalk and game day. Just got to hook ‘em to keep ‘em coming back….

Man do we need a signature win. Is asking for OSU too much, lol?

How many college football programs have failed the 15,000 test? Dozens. The NCAA not only ignores reality, but supports members lying to it.

How many universities have sponsors purchase discounted tickets nobody will use to boost fake attendance figures?

Show your work.

Show your work.
Not only that, this moron thinks the “NCAA” is something that it isn’t.

Hint for Koko - the NCAA IS THE SCHOOLS!! That’s it. Full stop. There is no “IT” for the schools to lie to. They ARE the “IT”.

Show your work.
The WSJ article has stats on reported and actual attendance for 90+ college football teams.

Sponsors buying tix.

Because I actually do give a shit

I was embarrassed yesterday by the attendance - it was beyond abysmal and a borderline disgrace

I don’t know what they need to do to change things, but I do have many ideas which I’ve shared that havent gotten anywhere

I hate to say it, but if I’m a top recruit and I saw that yesterday, unless they threw me a huge NIL deal, there’s no chance I’d come here
What'cha gonna do dog? Yell at the group of people who most likely are gonna be at the game?
Unlike, Iowa, Nebraska, Etc. There is lots of things for people to occupy their time and money in NJ.
Your rant while understandable and it is embarrassing, I get why people wanted to skip this game and do something else. I hope we get better crowds for our BIG games.

Can't wait till , like in basketball, fans are running around trying to get tickets to games against ANY opponent. The same naysayers also said it would never happen in basketball--- wrong again.

What'cha gonna do dog? Yell at the group of people who most likely are gonna be at the game?
Unlike, Iowa, Nebraska, Etc. There is lots of things for people to occupy their time and money in NJ.
Your rant while understandable and it is embarrassing, I get why people wanted to skip this game and do something else. I hope we get better crowds for our BIG games.
Encourage friends to attend
Talk to co workers who like sports
Engage neighbors who are looking for an affordable & close option

I’m not yelling at anyone. Those on this board are the fringe 1 % who attend games and donate $

If you think my post is embarrassing, I don’t know what to tell you.

The whole “there’s other things to do arguement” is bs - take the amount of purple living 50 miles from New Brunswick vs Iowa, Nebby etc and your point goes right out the window

I understand game watching habits have changed. Team has sucked for the past 10 years. Wagner is FCS. HS fb and kids activities on Saturdays. I get all that bc it’s true

But what I don’t get is how we can’t get 40k in the stadium, in a state w 9mil, in the tri state w ~20 mil, with NB undergrad population ~30k, 500k living alumni, $10 Tix galore, good weather, winnable game, team doing good, etc

That’s not a big ask. That should be the expectation.

If the program was destined to perennially be an afterthought (Indiana, Maryland, NW) in bball first schools not surrounded by big cities or not being flagship U, and not having NYC close by, I’d be ok w mediocrity

But we have the potential to be so much more. I truly believe that - so it upsets me, and pisses me off, when we accept mediocrity and make excuses

Reactions: Fat Koko
Encourage friends to attend
Talk to co workers who like sports
Engage neighbors who are looking for an affordable & close option

I’m not yelling at anyone. Those on this board are the fringe 1 % who attend games and donate $

If you think my post is embarrassing, I don’t know what to tell you.

The whole “there’s other things to do arguement” is bs - take the amount of purple living 50 miles from New Brunswick vs Iowa, Nebby etc and your point goes right out the window

I understand game watching habits have changed. Team has sucked for the past 10 years. Wagner is FCS. HS fb and kids activities on Saturdays. I get all that bc it’s true

But what I don’t get is how we can’t get 40k in the stadium, in a state w 9mil, in the tri state w ~20 mil, with NB undergrad population ~30k, 500k living alumni, $10 Tix galore, good weather, winnable game, team doing good, etc

That’s not a big ask. That should be the expectation.

If the program was destined to perennially be an afterthought (Indiana, Maryland, NW) in bball first schools not surrounded by big cities or not being flagship U, and not having NYC close by, I’d be ok w mediocrity

But we have the potential to be so much more. I truly believe that - so it upsets me, and pisses me off, when we accept mediocrity and make excuses
Pretty sure BS was agreeing with you - it was embarrassing that so few people were there.

Pretty sure BS was agreeing with you - it was embarrassing that so few people were there.
Ahh my bad then I apologize and stand corrected

I just want to see this program succeed as I truly believe that we absolutely have the potential 2 on a very high-level, and when I see a meager crowd with no energy like I did on Saturday and there’s a ton of recruits that we are in the mix for OAR have already committed, but are looking at other schools at the game, there’s no way it can bode well with them

Additionally, the reasons we come the games are to be competitive, when, have school spirit, have excitement, etc. I don’t mind watching these type of games because I’m a football junkie and I like to see the second and third guys get reps as well as Game plans, schemes etc

To me, that is more enjoyable than a round of golf, or apple, picking, or any of the like. And again, having a daughter, who plays soccer, that’s young, I do understand the commitments of time and family.

And I understand everyone doesn’t have the same priorities, which I do respect

I think based on our location and all the other factors, we should not have an issue getting a minimum of 40,000 people in the stands for that game

Wow! Breaking news! OP must work for the Star Liar. Why not focus on the teams 4-1 start and/or the maturation of Gavin at QB?

Reactions: RU_87
The WSJ article has stats on reported and actual attendance for 90+ college football teams.

Sponsors buying tix.

Which is why the rule specifically states "paid or actual".

It's 100% about whether or not the schools are getting the monetary support from the fan base. It's not about counting asses in the seats.

You're spending way too much time on this.

Wow! Breaking news! OP must work for the Star Liar. Why not focus on the teams 4-1 start and/or the maturation of Gavin at QB?
problem is, it's an issue and when you watch on tv, it looks real bad

we do need to figure out a way to get fans in stadium and get the younger generation involved.

Rutgers announced a crowd of 40,065 for the Wagner game.

Unfortunately for the RU athletic department, modern day cell phones are equipped with cameras.

Here are a few more pictures showing a vast number of empty seats.

The Rutgers athletic department has been lying about football attendance for years, as proven by the FOIA request made last year by NJ.com that showed the school inflating numbers by as many as 20,000 per game. President Holloway needs to tell Pat Hobbs to stop his department from doing this because it's embarrassing the university. Show some integrity and start telling the truth!

Rutgers University? Integrity? LOL. Let me introduce you to Prof. Brittiny Cooper. Integrity has long sailed from any institution that employs her.

I know you meant this simply as your usual dig on Schiano, but since Wagner is actually leading their division I had to go look this up to see if it’s true. It’s not (Wagner isn’t 4th from the bottom in Sagarin).

But man are those boys in Staten Island getting the shaft in Jeff’s system. He has them ranked behind both teams they beat. Took a quick look at their schedule and while a long shot, winning out the rest of the way isn’t out of the question for them. Think I’ll adopt them as a second team to root for the rest of the way. They weren’t close to as bad as they were last year. Maybe I’ll add their coach to my stock tracker for fun. What do you say Shelby?
Shelby usually roots for underdogs, so he likes that you will adopt them as a second team. I hope it’s not just so that our win would look better. But they werent Sagarin 258 ?

Here’s a tip: you don’t need to buy a Wagner ticket. You can get there 5 minutes before kickoff and watch the game from your car in the first row of their parking lot (which is also their practice field on weekdays.)

Shelby usually roots for underdogs, so he likes that you will adopt them as a second team. I hope it’s not just so that our win would look better. But they werent Sagarin 258 ?

Here’s a tip: you don’t need to buy a Wagner ticket. You can get there 5 minutes before kickoff and watch the game from your car in the first row of their parking lot (which is also their practice field on weekdays.)

It looks like they are 247 right now if I’m reading it correctly? To be clear, our win doesn’t look any different regardless of how Wagner’s season goes. Any FBS team should easily beat every team in their conference.
That said - I’d still love to see Sacred Heart take down UConn…

Also - while Wagner is still awful compared to RU and any major conference team, their D definitely improved from last year. Navy isn’t a good team, but for Wagner, being able to hold any FBS team to 24 points means they made strides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT