ADVERTISEMENT

RU Iowa

What really concerns me (and frustrated the crap out of me) is this is not the first end game we've done this. I remember the same thing happened in the game we did win in OT.
As complementary as I have been about CVS this season...this is where COACHING comes in. Lack of fouling end game or a real strategy/in game decisions just don't seem to be there. She may be great at 10,000 feet but I just don't see it reflect on the court when needed most.

Although totally relying on 1 player to score isn't a great strategy IMHO.

Whether they make the NCAA or not , hoping to beat NW and win at least a couple in the B1G tourney to represent well.

great game prep coaching..thats what its about, but in game..especially late game very mediocre

You're wrong , most all RU fans are disgusted at this lost and feel it was inexcusable to lose a game as important as this one is, especially on RU's home court.
But they, including myself, can also be disgusted seeing posters that only come on this board to criticize the coach/program after something bad happens but seem to hide when things are looking good.

Stop whining about your posting habits being critiqued.
You have every right to express your opinion, but RUWBB fans also have every right to point out when you do that and how it seems not to be when his program wins..

That said, every one posting in this thread agree this type of loss can not be tolerated and every single criticism made about this loss is deserved

and likewise we have every right to respond to your whining about us whining...its circular. Thats why the policing posts here are hypocritical

great game prep coaching..thats what its about, but in game..especially late game very mediocre

frankly I think she is too "cerebral" for most of them. She's very smart but talks in a way that (i feel) might be over their heads at times. Look, I am not in the huddle to hear her direct...but from all the listening I've done she seems more "listen to me and figure it out" vs. "DO THIS or DO THAT" and maybe players have changed and just can't figure it out.

(I don't think) The game has passed her by as much as today's student athlete (or the one's he's recruiting) isn't listening to/getting her message. Maybe she should be on TV now (or soon).

Last edited:
At least when fans come after a loss we get some of kind of discussion. Look at the responses in this thread already.

Reactions: bac2therac
At least when fans come after a loss we get some of kind of discussion. Look at the responses in this thread already.
After a win there are some pretty good opinions about the game.
It might surprise you to find out that some posters point out weaknesses and feel they need to be overcome even if RU just won.
But with you mainly coming on this board after a loss, I guess you miss seeing wins being critiqued unfavorably.
But conversation after a loss is a good way to vent and I have vented myself in this thread.
The difference between me and some others is: I also post after wins and try to show support.
Carry on,you have every right to say what you will after a loss, just wish you'd show more of an inclination to post in this board after a win .

That said, , the way this team plays from hear-on this season will have a lot to do with the way Hobbs feels change might have to be made after next year.
I wouldn't be surprised if he told CVS after this season she would have only next year as the RU WBB HC and prepare to bow out gracefully with honor if the team doesn't prove it can compete with the top B1G programs and earn a NCAA spot more easily ( even if RU goes this year) The late season fold RU had this season probably will have Hobbs ready for change , but willing to wait a year to do it , if Vivian doesn't make the NCAA this season but gets her 1000th in WNIT.

Last edited:
Up by 3 with 9 seconds to go, she should have told the team to foul so they only get 2 free throws.
This has always bothered me and not just from Stringer. There are so many coaches out there that refuse to foul in that situation and I never have heard any of them give a good reason for not fouling. Force the other team's hand. Make them make the first FT and then try to clang the second one off the rim to get another shot off.

frankly I think she is too "cerebral" for most of them. She's very smart but talks in a way that (i feel) might be over their heads at times. Look, I am not in the huddle to hear her direct...but from all the listening I've done she seems more "listen to me and figure it out" vs. "DO THIS or DO THAT" and maybe players have changed and just can't figure it out.

(I don't think) The game has passed her by as much as today's student athlete (or the one's he's recruiting) isn't listening to/getting her message. Maybe she should be on TV now (or soon).
I'm not sure how she talks in the huddle, but I suspect she isn't that vague. BUT - you hit another point quite on point. Her style of coaching and game / game plan do require players to make the right reads and moves. Players have choices and are supposed to make the right ones based on what they know and what she has taught (hence, why at times she yanks players out after bad decisions). And yes, one of the issues Rutgers has had more recently that has not helped the win / loss is that players today are not so good at the instinctive / trained moves.

We posted last year on the many challenges CVS faced and faces as an older coach with a very particular style and how increasingly difficult recruiting and on-court success was given these factors - always saying (well some of us) that it was still possible to be successful. Disappointing or not, this surely is not a horrible season - last year was a horrible season. But my point - Do you think these challenges have gone away? Has CVS's style changed, has she gotten younger, has Rutgers suddenly become a "destination" for recruits, etc. etc. etc.????

My disagreement with many on the board that are labeled the "negatoids" is that I just don't see - other than last year - that there is any coaching change we could make or have made that would guarantee better. I think folks will be surprised at that fact that RU is not a coaching destination either, unless there are a lot of incentives ($$$).

Knight Time Fan said:>My disagreement with many on the board that are labeled the "negatoids" is that I just don't see - other than last year - that there is any coaching change we could make or have made that would guarantee better. I think folks will be surprised at that fact that RU is not a coaching destination either, unless there are a lot of incentives ($$$).<
----------------------------------------------------------------

I agree that RU probably isn't a top destination, but if Hobbs can convince an up and coming HC or a extremely qualified assistant from a top WBB program, that is considered a great recruiter, ( not Chris Dailey but someone like her ) that Rutgers is going to give its WBB program the type of support needed to make it the type of program it used to be from the 1998-99 season to the 2007-08 season
then the type of HC candidates that would have their pick of destinations might consider RU to be one.
I don't think Hobbs can promise the type of support needed to hire the best ( leaving out current top rated HCs in major programs ), HCing candidates until Rutgers starts receiving a full share of B1G revenue.
In 2021 that will happen and Hobbs might convince a top candidate to come after the 2018-19 season with a 6-7 year contract ( fully guaranteed and a pretty good salary boost in 2021) that is incentive ladened the first two years to make up for a salary that fits RU's budget until RU starts receiving its full share of B1G revenue.

Reactions: RU MAN
Knight Time Fan said:>My disagreement with many on the board that are labeled the "negatoids" is that I just don't see - other than last year - that there is any coaching change we could make or have made that would guarantee better. I think folks will be surprised at that fact that RU is not a coaching destination either, unless there are a lot of incentives ($$$).<
----------------------------------------------------------------

I agree that RU probably isn't a top destination, but if Hobbs can convince an up and coming HC or a extremely qualified assistant from a top WBB program, that is considered a great recruiter, ( not Chris Dailey but someone like her ) that Rutgers is going to give its WBB program the type of support needed to make it the type of program it used to be from the 1998-99 season to the 2007-08 season
then the type of HC candidates that would have their pick of destinations might consider RU to be one.
I don't think Hobbs can promise the type of support needed to hire the best ( leaving out current top rated HCs in major programs ), HCing candidates until Rutgers starts receiving a full share of B1G revenue.
In 2021 that will happen and Hobbs might convince a top candidate to come after the 2018-19 season with a 6-7 year contract ( fully guaranteed and a pretty good salary boost in 2021) that is incentive ladened the first two years to make up for a salary that fits RU's budget until RU starts receiving its full share of B1G revenue.
I agree to a point. My argument is that there is no guarantee that a coach - regardless of great credentials - is going to be great success. Let me name some hot properties and then reflect on it:

Matt Insell (Ole Miss); Kristi Currey (Alabama); Coquese Washington (Penn State); Kevin Borseth (when he was at Michigan) and Matt Bollant (Illinois); Suzie McConnell Serio (Pittsburgh); and June Daugherty (Washington State).

These were all much lauded hires and . . . (I tried to avoid new coaches in the last 2 years or longer time coaches who had some success and have fallen off; the list isn't exhaustive, either).

You are addressing a more long-term plan that is probably a good idea, as I say you may very well be right on it. But in the endless Vivian had to go routine, except for last year, I don't think there is any guarantee - at all - that the team would have performed better had a change been made.

Important post about being careful what you wish for, Knight Time. You should copy it over as an OP for a new thread. I remember thinking after Bollant took Green Bay dancing four years in a row that he would be a great hire, but he's getting nowhere turning Illinois around in four years. (And Green Bay stays near the top of the mid-major WBB programs.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT