ADVERTISEMENT

RU opponents in the postseason - a preview

BeKnighted

Heisman Winner
Jan 15, 2003
Here are all of the RU opponents playing in the postseason this year, so far as I've been able to tell. If I missed anyone, let me know.

NCAAs

#2 Iowa
#3 Maryland
#8 Michigan
#9 Michigan State
#9 Gonzaga
#10 Indiana
#10 Drake

WNIT

Ohio State
Harvard
Minnesota
Northwestern
Virginia Tech

WBI

None

Bonus: Some of my favorite team nicknames from teams mentioned in Games of Interest this season

Boilermakers (Purdue)
Cornhuskers (Nebraska)
Crimson (Harvard)
Ducks (Oregon)
Dukes (Duquesne – I’m a sucker for alliteration)
Eagles (American, but really only because of the combination of school and nickname)
Hawkeyes (Iowa)
Highlanders (NJIT, Radford)
Jackrabbits (South Dakota State)
Lobos (New Mexico)
Phoenix (Green Bay)
Quakers (Pennsylvania)
Peahens (St. Peter’s)
Red Flash (St. Francis (PA))
Salukis (Southern Illinois)

Even with the points off for the entirely unoriginal Illini and Hoosiers, the B1G has excellent nickname game - the Wolverines and Terrapins came close to making the list.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Here are all of the RU opponents playing in the postseason this year, so far as I've been able to tell. If I missed anyone, let me know.

NCAAs

#2 Iowa
#3 Maryland
#8 Michigan
#9 Michigan State
#9 Gonzaga
#10 Indiana
#10 Drake

WNIT

Ohio State
Harvard
Minnesota
Northwestern
Virginia Tech

WBI

None

Bonus: Some of my favorite team nicknames from teams mentioned in Games of Interest this season

Boilermakers (Purdue)
Cornhuskers (Nebraska)
Crimson (Harvard)
Ducks (Oregon)
Dukes (Duquesne – I’m a sucker for alliteration)
Eagles (American, but really only because of the combination of school and nickname)
Hawkeyes (Iowa)
Highlanders (NJIT, Radford)
Jackrabbits (South Dakota State)
Lobos (New Mexico)
Phoenix (Green Bay)
Quakers (Pennsylvania)
Peahens (St. Peter’s)
Red Flash (St. Francis (PA))
Salukis (Southern Illinois)

Even with the points off for the entirely unoriginal Illini and Hoosiers, the B1G has excellent nickname game - the Wolverines and Terrapins came close to making the list.
Guess what one of my favorite nicknames is
>you can tie it down :p
Peahens is another :D

Off of unconfirmed recollection, 4-6 against NCAA and 4-3 against WNIT. Not complaining about a 7-seed in the NCAA at all.

It seems like we are setting up for another BeK mascot bracket? I hope so, those are always fun.

By the way, LB Dirtbags really only applies to their baseball team. Otherwise the LBSU teams were the 49ers (now regarded as less politically correct; I guess Prospector Pete was a problem) and are trying to rebrand as The Beach.

One of my favorites, but not Div 1, is UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs.

Reactions: MADHAT1
All 9 losses were to teams that made the post season, which helped in keeping the team's RPI on solid ground all year.

It seems like we are setting up for another BeK mascot bracket? I hope so, those are always fun.

By the way, LB Dirtbags really only applies to their baseball team. Otherwise the LBSU teams were the 49ers (now regarded as less politically correct; I guess Prospector Pete was a problem) and are trying to rebrand as The Beach.

One of my favorites, but not Div 1, is UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs.
Yes, apparently the 49ers in general were anti-native American, anti-women, anti-foreigner and anti-certain religions (just to name a few of their charming characteristics).

That said, I personally find the idea that they are not an acceptable nickname a bit overly politically correct, because I assume no one at the school wanted to emulate them. They probably didn't live very long, didn't bathe very much and were not very educated by a college standard. But they certainly existed and LBSU probably wouldn't be there if it wasn't for them.

As to the Slugs, drove around their campus - it is actually a big school, even though not D1.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT