ADVERTISEMENT

RU/ RIchmond Game Thread

Hit two posts already for RU. 2-1 Richmond. RU getting lots of shots.

3-1 Richmond off a sloppy turnover and miscommunication on D. Can't have that.

3-1 Richmond end of the first. RU shooting poorly so far after getting some good looks.

4-1 Richmond after a bit of bad luck after forcing a turnover. College lacrosse really needs to work out this shot clock stall warning thing. These teams literally throw the ball around for minutes at a time.

It is making the fastest game on two feet come to a crawl.

5-2 after some more bad luck after creating another turnover. Need to get better on groundballs. Extra man Richmond on a faceoff violation.

RU not playing well.

6-2 Richmond. Going to be tough to comeback on them with the way they play stallball.

Hit another crossbar.

Taking a few unwarrated shots, and not converting some good looks.

9-3 Richmond. Off two soft goals. That's the half. Awful half of lacrosse for Rutgers.

Hearing the stats, it is all about shots/goaltending.

Not sure where we are failing, but that is the difference.

Rough first half, no flow on offense and agree on a few soft goals. Richmond plays very good help defense and they have been slowing up on the pace when they have the ball.

11-4. I am pulling Alleyne at this point. He is letting in some soft goals.

12-5. Blowout possibilities. Shooting. They are converting opportunties. Rutgers isn't.

13-5. We can't make 2 passes on an extra man, they get another goal on precision passing on theirs.

They are a very well coached team.

We are taking some erroneous shots, but their goalie is good. He is making some nice saves. Between the bad shots, hot goalie, and 3 posts, that is a recipe for a tough game. Give them credit, they run their stall ball offense really well, are burying their shots, and have a hot goalie.

I have turned it off to watch duke/Denver. The boys better get it together for Virginia next week.

Originally posted by Caliknight:

We are taking some erroneous shots, but their goalie is good. He is making some nice saves. Between the bad shots, hot goalie, and 3 posts, that is a recipe for a tough game. Give them credit, they run their stall ball offense really well, are burying their shots, and have a hot goalie.
Agree Cali playing undisciplined and forcing. Will be tough playing like that the rest of the year. One consolation switching between this and the Loyola/Penn State game, PSU doesnt look much better forcing on O with what seems like only the midfield involved and throuwing balls away though just scored man up goal to make it 7-4 in the 4th. Now watch Duke/Denver

Man badically negates the opening win @ St John's.. Very disappointing and Alleyne apparently needs to find his game again.

Very disappointing for RU. The lack of poise, and ability to work for good shots, not just shots, isn't going to win games. Their goalie played well, but we made him look All World by not finishing the opportunities we had.

Their kids shot well and we didn't make any plays. Give their staff and kids credit. They are now 4-0 when playing teams they lost to in their first meeting. Well done for a new program that gets a lot of support.

I didn't see the St. John's game, only heard about it, but it is looking like a little fool's gold at the moment.

Last point I will make. Lacrosse needs to have a shot clock. I love watching lacrosse, but this era of literally sitting on the ball for minutes at a time is stiffling the game. It isn't the reason was lost. We lost because Richmond is the better team. But man, lacrosse is getting tough to watch, which is a shame. The players have never been better, faster, or more skilled.

On to Uva, which will be interesting. That game will be fun to watch, as Uva won't sit on the ball. They have lots of athletes and will be tough to slow down. Our D is concerning. The Knights have a lot of work to do. Swiss cheese on D, 0-5 on man up, suspect goalie play, poor shot selection, next to no individual brilliance, and out schemed.

This young team was probably feeling themselves a little bit after last week, now they came crashing down to earth. Leadership needs to step in a big way.

That is going to be a looooong bus ride home.

So embarrassing. Another year for the staff to blame it on the prior regime and the empty cupboard.

That won't happen. This team is very young, but you won't hear Coach Brecht make any excuses. Bad loss. How they bounce back will say a lot.

That game will be fun to watch. On a side note, watched Denver Duke. Great game. Denver's offense is ridiculous. Exceptional stick skills, shooting, ball movement and player movement. Absolutely unstoppable. Sitting on the ball and winning faceoffs is the only way to stop that offense, and Denver has a great faceoffs kid so that is a tall order.

Simply inexcusable. I've been following RU Lacrosse for over 50 years, maybe not as closely as some of you young'ns , but this program is either stuck in mud or sinking in quicksand. They have not been consistently good since I can't remember when. Tell me the sport hasn't become an after-thought.

Originally posted by RU Husky:
Simply inexcusable. I've been following RU Lacrosse for over 50 years, maybe not as closely as some of you young'ns , but this program is either stuck in mud or sinking in quicksand. They have not been consistently good since I can't remember when. Tell me the sport hasn't become an after-thought.
Husky - I understand your frustration, however, there are no longer ANY sports at RU that are "afterthoughts." The way Julie is setting things up, for ALL sports, is a model that is aimed for success at the highest levels. Won't happen overnight but Caliknight, who is very much "behind the scenes" with lax - as are a couple of others here - can back me up on this one.

Originally posted by RU Husky:
It was an after thought with the last coach. Between what was left, schools adding the sport and supporting it wholly, you must understand. This ain't the 80's anymore.

i hate that it isn't happening as fast as we want, but we are light years ahead of where we were 5 years ago. I have to ask, do you donate to the program? Suggest you do if you want to help. It needs it.

Cali- If you remember I have been saying that there defense was going to be the key and it should today. St. John's is not very good (yes I know that they won today). They struggled with the face-off (also said that was going to happen) Richmond did a great job of possessing the ball toady and we do not have guys who can take the ball away. when they got there chances they finished them and we did not

Please, stop this BS about a young team. Richmond's program is in its SECOND year and has 5 seniors and a half dozen juniors. And a head coach in his SECOND year.

Kids come and go but the early season results are the same. Once again, this staff puts a team on the field that is simply not ready to play and is beat badly by a new program. OK, go ahead and talk about the high school sophs and juniors that the staff is all over. Well, the roster is now filled with this staff's kids and this WTF loss is no different than what we watched in Year 1 with the other guy's kids.

Just sad to see all the new programs just zoom past RU year after year after year.

It was a bad loss. And the team is young. Did you watch the game? Freshman and sophomores all over the place. Our seniors are 1 at D and 2 at the midfield spot. Brecht won't have his full squad until next season.

It is what it is. Like I said in the post above, if you actually want to make a difference, donate.

you can say that the Juniors and Seniors were not recruited by him but that is not completely true, yes there are lots of young kids around but, it is still an issue that they can not defend, and all of the kids playing pole are his recruits. Goss Mazzone and Trasolini were his recruits (1st Mid Line) Heninburg, and George are his as well. He did not really want Bieda (Best attack man on the team now) So I am not sure which kids are not his other than Nardella and Kevin Albert. Allanye is his Anderson is not. I guess you can say that several of the kids who are not playing are not his kids and so he does not have the depth to play but thats a little bit of a stretch.

Sounds like the team wasn't ready and played like crap. If the defense steps up, we should be improved. If not, we have issues. Pretty simple.

Seems what I said in the LAX thread on the FB Board came to fruition in this game.

To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, what the hell is going on in G?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT