ADVERTISEMENT

RU-St. John's Scrimmage - Every Defensive Possession Charted

lion1983

Sophomore
Gold Member
May 2, 2024
I am not going to list out each ST. John's offensive possession - and therefore each RU's defensive possession. BUT ... I just rewatched the game on BTN+ and charted each of RU's defensive possessions, except TWO or THREE between the 4 min left and the 2 minute left mark (for some reason the BTN+ replay cut out those 2 minutes).

But after charting the game, I am actually more optimistic about the team - and I was generally pleased anyway. There ARE definitely holes to shore up with defensive rebounding, defensive rotations, help defense, etc. ... but the staff has 3 full weeks to continue that coaching and development, plus another 3 weeks of relatively easier games before Las Vegas ... and RU's defensive generally does improve during the course of the season on top of that.

Here are a few takeaways:

1) Ogbole was much better than the average fan will think. I will bet you the coaching staff will evaluate Ogbole's game vs St. Johns very differently and much better than the casual fan. For example, I will note that St. John's Ejiofor scored 19 2nd Half points - but other than the 2 minutes BTN+ did not show (during which St. John's scored 4 points), Ejiofor only scored TWO points when Ogbole was in the game ... that's right ... just 2 points. In the 1st half, Ejiofor scored 6 points total, but just 2 points while Ogbole was in the game ... and that FG was when Derkack got caught covering Ejiafor on a switch: Ejiofor posted, missed, got his own miss and put it back in. So ... when Ogbole was in the game, during his 21 minutes of playing time, Ejiofor scored just 4 points (though he may have gotten 4 more in the 2 minutes missing from the BTN+ replay). Ejiofor DID get some offensive rebounds when Ogbole was in the game, but Ejiofor NEVER scored himself off those offensive rebounds - Ogbole successfully contested and prevented the put back. I am not saying Ogbole is a star. nor that he did not make mistakes. But I am convinced upon charting the game that Ogbole was MUCH better than I thought initially. I would add that Ogbole reliably ran the floor in transition, on both offense and defense - and never got beaten down the floor by his man, and several times beat HIS man down the floor on offensive transition. As a sub-commentary: Ogbole showed more often than not he knew where to be defensively (not perfect, but relatively solid, IMO). Still, Ogbole DOES have a lot to learn - not trying to minimize that.

2) RU's help defense DOES need work ... no surprise with so many new players and with 3 weeks of practice before any real game. The player who MOST needs work is Harper. With all due respect to the star Harper IS, and WILL BE, there were numerous breakdowns in his off-ball defense. These led to back-doors, lack of help defense and several times failure to box out. When defending off the ball, Harper showed a tendency to stand around watching his teammates, rather than focusing on either his man, or the proper position to be for help defense. Fortunately, these things can be taught and learned. The staff will have good film from the St. John's game to show and teach. Bailey also needs work to be taught when and where to help - but he made fewer of those errors than did Harper, and his ridiculous quickness and leaping ability allowed him several times to recover from being out of position to make excellent help plays from the weakside. Derkack was ... oddly frustrating. Spectacular defense both on the ball and at times in help and in transition defense. But ALSO he was slow to get back several times in defensive transition, and several times lost his man on box outs.

3) Post Defense and Overall: Ogbole was by far and away the best of the 3 centers ... Somerville was not as bad as I initially thought (my apologies to my initial impression) - though he did get absolutely schooled on one drop step move by Ejiofor. Martini was ... okay, no better. He could not defend a taller player in the post when he did not get help - like not at all, no resistance. And he regularly got beaten down the court in defensive transition. Sommerville's biggest issue upon charting the game is something that CAN be cured through practice and experience: He actually did not seem to know where he was supposed to be on the court either on offense or defense ... Ogbole and Martini seemed much more in the flow both offensively and defensively.

FYI: RU's biggest issue in the 2nd half was Richmond, who totally controlled the game with getting seemingly every defensive rebounding, triggering transition offense, getting to the rim (where RU actually defended him decently) - opening things up for his teammates. He is that good, if you think about it. Not that Ejiofor did not have a huge 2nd half - he did (though not against Ogbole) ... but Richmond was the catalyst.

Other notes:

a) Harper was not as bad defensively with his 4th foul as I initially thought (though he did paly a bit of matador defense on 2 plays). In a real game he still would have been removed at the 6+ minute mark when he got his 4th foul to be rested until the 4 minute time out.

b) Pikiell had the wrong mix of players on the floor in the last 2 minutes of the game - and it led directly to the key turnover, maybe BOTH key turnovers at the end. The line up was interesting - RU went small: Bailey at the "5", nominally, plus Harper, Williams, Derkack and Davis. But there were several stoppages, and opportunities to sub offense for defense, which Pikiell did not do. There is no doubt Hayes should have been in the game for offense for either Derkack or Davis - probably Davis. Harper's drive where he was stripped (it was 85-86 St. Johns, St. Johns got 2 FT in transition after that to make it 85-88) was partly because Harper lost a fraction of control of his dribble as he drove (can happen sometimes - atypical for Harper, usually), but also partly because Davis was in the corner and the St. John's defender could cheat much more - if Hayes had been in and in the corner instead, perhaps (not for sure) the St. Johns defender can't or won't cheat as much - and not be in a position to strip the ball on the double team. And, the next possession (also after a stoppage, so an offensive sub was possible), Derkack tried to pass the ball to the top of the key as he was doubled - to Davis ... Richmond stole the ball ... Richmond was playing at the foul line, covering both the top of the key and the access pass to Bailey who had smartly cut down the middle to the middle of the lane. Had Hayes been in the game, perhaps Richmond may have had to cheat a little higher towards Hayes, and that would have allowed Drekack to pass to Bailey in the lane instead. Perhaps Derkack should have passed to Bailey anyway - lofting it high up where only Bailey could have caught it, over Richmond. These are all things to learn by the staff and the team.

I am sure I will think of more as people comment.

I noted in the other thread, but worth pointing out that both Towson and St Johns were top-3 in the country in Offensive Rebound Rate last season. Obviously a much changed roster for St Johns, but in theory the same mindset.

On Ogbole, glad you think he was "serviceable" after charting everything. But for a dude that size, who Pike says has the best vertical we've ever had in the program, I just feel he could be more aggressive going up for the ball. That was my initial reaction watching live anyway.

Good analysis. I was holding back on my Ogbole comments until I had a chance to rewatch the game, but you saved me the time.

When watching it live, I had the following thoughts on EO:
1) His awareness and poise on his assist to Ace’s trey was perfect.
2) He ran the floor great and even had a nice left-handed finish on a fast break, almost like a guard.
3) Harper used EO’s screens well, and missed a couple of pnr opportunities, imo.
4) EO boxes out ok, but smaller guys with quicker feet are beating him to the rebound (also need better team rebounding when he boxes out his big man).
5) While he did go up too slowly and seemed to bobble the ball a bit on offense, his hands looked much improved.

I believe Pike also said they did not do anything special to prepare for St. John's, like they would for other teams. So no film study to specifically adapt the defense to the opponent's strength, or analysis of any specific player tendencies. This was more of a "roll the balls out and let them play" with base concepts.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
I am not going to list out each ST. John's offensive possession - and therefore each RU's defensive possession. BUT ... I just rewatched the game on BTN+ and charted each of RU's defensive possessions, except TWO or THREE between the 4 min left and the 2 minute left mark (for some reason the BTN+ replay cut out those 2 minutes).

But after charting the game, I am actually more optimistic about the team - and I was generally pleased anyway. There ARE definitely holes to shore up with defensive rebounding, defensive rotations, help defense, etc. ... but the staff has 3 full weeks to continue that coaching and development, plus another 3 weeks of relatively easier games before Las Vegas ... and RU's defensive generally does improve during the course of the season on top of that.

Here are a few takeaways:

1) Ogbole was much better than the average fan will think. I will bet you the coaching staff will evaluate Ogbole's game vs St. Johns very differently and much better than the casual fan. For example, I will note that St. John's Ejiofor scored 19 2nd Half points - but other than the 2 minutes BTN+ did not show (during which St. John's scored 4 points), Ejiofor only scored TWO points when Ogbole was in the game ... that's right ... just 2 points. In the 1st half, Ejiofor scored 6 points total, but just 2 points while Ogbole was in the game ... and that FG was when Derkack got caught covering Ejiafor on a switch: Ejiofor posted, missed, got his own miss and put it back in. So ... when Ogbole was in the game, during his 21 minutes of playing time, Ejiofor scored just 4 points (though he may have gotten 4 more in the 2 minutes missing from the BTN+ replay). Ejiofor DID get some offensive rebounds when Ogbole was in the game, but Ejiofor NEVER scored himself off those offensive rebounds - Ogbole successfully contested and prevented the put back. I am not saying Ogbole is a star. nor that he did not make mistakes. But I am convinced upon charting the game that Ogbole was MUCH better than I thought initially. I would add that Ogbole reliably ran the floor in transition, on both offense and defense - and never got beaten down the floor by his man, and several times beat HIS man down the floor on offensive transition. As a sub-commentary: Ogbole showed more often than not he knew where to be defensively (not perfect, but relatively solid, IMO). Still, Ogbole DOES have a lot to learn - not trying to minimize that.

2) RU's help defense DOES need work ... no surprise with so many new players and with 3 weeks of practice before any real game. The player who MOST needs work is Harper. With all due respect to the star Harper IS, and WILL BE, there were numerous breakdowns in his off-ball defense. These led to back-doors, lack of help defense and several times failure to box out. When defending off the ball, Harper showed a tendency to stand around watching his teammates, rather than focusing on either his man, or the proper position to be for help defense. Fortunately, these things can be taught and learned. The staff will have good film from the St. John's game to show and teach. Bailey also needs work to be taught when and where to help - but he made fewer of those errors than did Harper, and his ridiculous quickness and leaping ability allowed him several times to recover from being out of position to make excellent help plays from the weakside. Derkack was ... oddly frustrating. Spectacular defense both on the ball and at times in help and in transition defense. But ALSO he was slow to get back several times in defensive transition, and several times lost his man on box outs.

3) Post Defense and Overall: Ogbole was by far and away the best of the 3 centers ... Somerville was not as bad as I initially thought (my apologies to my initial impression) - though he did get absolutely schooled on one drop step move by Ejiofor. Martini was ... okay, no better. He could not defend a taller player in the post when he did not get help - like not at all, no resistance. And he regularly got beaten down the court in defensive transition. Sommerville's biggest issue upon charting the game is something that CAN be cured through practice and experience: He actually did not seem to know where he was supposed to be on the court either on offense or defense ... Ogbole and Martini seemed much more in the flow both offensively and defensively.

FYI: RU's biggest issue in the 2nd half was Richmond, who totally controlled the game with getting seemingly every defensive rebounding, triggering transition offense, getting to the rim (where RU actually defended him decently) - opening things up for his teammates. He is that good, if you think about it. Not that Ejiofor did not have a huge 2nd half - he did (though not against Ogbole) ... but Richmond was the catalyst.

Other notes:

a) Harper was not as bad defensively with his 4th foul as I initially thought (though he did paly a bit of matador defense on 2 plays). In a real game he still would have been removed at the 6+ minute mark when he got his 4th foul to be rested until the 4 minute time out.

b) Pikiell had the wrong mix of players on the floor in the last 2 minutes of the game - and it led directly to the key turnover, maybe BOTH key turnovers at the end. The line up was interesting - RU went small: Bailey at the "5", nominally, plus Harper, Williams, Derkack and Davis. But there were several stoppages, and opportunities to sub offense for defense, which Pikiell did not do. There is no doubt Hayes should have been in the game for offense for either Derkack or Davis - probably Davis. Harper's drive where he was stripped (it was 85-86 St. Johns, St. Johns got 2 FT in transition after that to make it 85-88) was partly because Harper lost a fraction of control of his dribble as he drove (can happen sometimes - atypical for Harper, usually), but also partly because Davis was in the corner and the St. John's defender could cheat much more - if Hayes had been in and in the corner instead, perhaps (not for sure) the St. Johns defender can't or won't cheat as much - and not be in a position to strip the ball on the double team. And, the next possession (also after a stoppage, so an offensive sub was possible), Derkack tried to pass the ball to the top of the key as he was doubled - to Davis ... Richmond stole the ball ... Richmond was playing at the foul line, covering both the top of the key and the access pass to Bailey who had smartly cut down the middle to the middle of the lane. Had Hayes been in the game, perhaps Richmond may have had to cheat a little higher towards Hayes, and that would have allowed Drekack to pass to Bailey in the lane instead. Perhaps Derkack should have passed to Bailey anyway - lofting it high up where only Bailey could have caught it, over Richmond. These are all things to learn by the staff and the team.

I am sure I will think of more as people comment.
Fantastic work here, thanks for doing this.

Fantastic work here, thanks for doing this.
No doubt too much time on my hands.

But, man, I love hoops, and am so eager for the season to start ... and I love the analysis, good and bad.

Unfortunately, due to health and travel issues, not sure how many games I will be able to get to this year, of all years! What a bummer. I will DVR and watch ALL the games, of course, those I both can and cannot get to. And my kids (grown) will go to a chunk of the games. And other family members.

Great analysis! At the end of the day - he missed 2 bunnies because he hesitated as if surprised the ball came to him and mishandled one pass (but the turnover wasn’t credited to him). If he plays exactly the same but settles in and hits those uncontested bunnies in the post his stat line would’ve been 8 points, 4 boards, 2 blocks, 1 assist, 2 fouls and no turnovers (the mishandled pass wasn’t charged to him) in 21 minutes of play.

Reactions: BillyC80
I believe Pike also said they did not do anything special to prepare for St. John's, like they would for other teams. So no film study to specifically adapt the defense to the opponent's strength, or analysis of any specific player tendencies. This was more of a "roll the balls out and let them play" with base concepts.
True, but looking at minutes distribution this was defintely like a regular season game.

True, but looking at minutes distribution this was defintely like a regular season game.
My guess is there would’ve been more of a push to get Acuff to be more game ready. No idea where he will fall in the rotation but that’s a possible swing that may be material.

My guess is there would’ve been more of a push to get Acuff to be more game ready. No idea where he will fall in the rotation but that’s a possible swing that may be material.
I'd think he would eat in to Dercack and JaMike minutes. Very curious to see how he fits in along with Ace and Dylan OR is he a guy that sees more of his minutes when 1 or both of them are on the bench.

Yes, but I'd imagine we'd have had a little better idea where SJU gets their points/distribution from, and would have emphasized certain defensive sets and player tendencies. Pike was also likely seeing how players performed in certain situations, too, to get some film to react to in practice - like leaving Harper in with 4 fouls.

It was a great opportunity for these guys to face high major competition together, and for Pike to learn more about what things the team needs to work on over the next several weeks.

If it had been a mid-season matchup, though, I think we'd have approached game prep and in-game decisioning a bit differently. I'm not too bothered by most of what we saw in this early sneak-peak.

Reactions: Wagram97
I'd think he would eat in to Dercack and JaMike minutes. Very curious to see how he fits in along with Ace and Dylan OR is he a guy that sees more of his minutes when 1 or both of them are on the bench.
That is a great question ... and one of the many story lines that makes the anticipation of this season for all fans, but in particular those like us who like to analyze, so much fun.

FYI, in re just the minutes issue: I think Bailey had too many minutes - he was clearly tired at the end ... keeping him in the 32-minute range might be better, in general; and Williams would seem likely to play more than 16 minutes (he had foul trouble - as he will from time to time ... and this year there are players who can easily swap into the game for him); No way will Derkack get 30 mpg, nor Davis 26 mpg, not when Acuff is fully healthy.

Now ... on the more interesting point you raise, how Acuff will be used (with Harper and Bailey, or INSTEAD of one of them) ... I have no idea, LOL! I have always seen Acuff as the 6th man, offensive spark off the bench (kind of what Hyatt was unless he was forced into the starting line-up due to injury and lack of depth ... and the way Hyatt should have been used, solely). I think Acuff could actually be a better and more consistent scorer off the bench than Hyatt ever was - though not as flexible or as good defensively or rebounding-wise.

Hey, do we even know what the initial starting line-up is? Will it be what we saw against St. Johns, or with Martini at PF (Davis to the bench), or even a chance Acuff starts for Davis? That may determine the role Acuff plays. But, presuming the same starting line-up as vs St. Johns, it also depends on what RU needs at the time the 6th non-center player subs. You need offense? Acuff in for either Davis or Williams - depending on the match-up. Harper needs a rest? Acuff for Harper (Davis as the PG). I suspect when Bailey needs a rest Derkack, Martini or Hayes enters. Of course, if you believe what you saw vs St. John's, Hayes is going to get playing time.

Wow ... what a joy to actually have legitimate reserve options, eh? When is the last time RU actually had TEN (10) players who are legitimately worthy of at least 10 mpg, or even more? And that does not even include Grant or Dortch.

Acuff looked a little out of shape to me, hopefully he has time to play his way into shape before meaningful games. Once he's ready, everyone's minutes will start to normalize. Be interesting to see who is where at that time.

Wow ... what a joy to actually have legitimate reserve options, eh? When is the last time RU actually had TEN (10) players who are legitimately worthy of at least 10 mpg, or even more? And that does not even include Grant or Dortch.
We had a season where we had FOUR (4).....sorry Issa

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg
I definitely think the rebounding issue got a bit unfairly attributed to purely the center’s fault instead of all of the teams fault. Ace is a solid rebound getter, but gonna be a bit skinny when boxing out. Dylan needs to do better if he’s gonna be the third biggest guy sometimes, cause he’s prob our third strongest player. I am surprised we didn’t employ Martini at the 4 at all, but perhaps we were worried about the athleticism St Johns had there. Against Big Ten teams I’d expect to see it more, especially the ones with more bruiser types at the four like Maryland, Indiana. Ultimately it’s one game without scouting or us doing much in terms of defensive experimentation so I expect this end to improve. If we can continue to play with pace and shoot the ball well we should be very good this year.

Reactions: Wagram97
I saw the same thing after the game and said it... fans don't want to hear it, but Ogbole was the best option at the 5 based on that scrimmage

Acuff should be a more consistent bench scorer than Hyatt. He will be a bust if he isn't. The scrimmage showed there is room for another scoring guard

Reactions: ancienthooper
I saw the same thing after the game and said it... fans don't want to hear it, but Ogbole was the best option at the 5 based on that scrimmage

Acuff should be a more consistent bench scorer than Hyatt. He will be a bust if he isn't. The scrimmage showed there is room for another scoring guard
From court side Acuff looked to be terribly out of shape and pretty slow. I think it’s going to be well into the season to see what we have, or don’t have, with him.

• Sad

This. It wasn’t close at all. The good news is Ogbole played with a blatant case of the gitters missing several bunnies that you have to think he won’t screw up when he calms down. It wasn’t a talent issue. They were unguarded set bank shots right under the basket on back door cuts.

The other good news is despite our issues at the 5 we held a big lead most of the game. The collapse was less about that position than it was how we handled Dylan’s foul trouble and the sloppy turnovers at the very end.

I’m excited because I see potential for this team to be very good on D when everything comes together even though the end score board doesn’t reflect that. We had flashes of old school Pike lock down stuff in the first half. Everyone is pumped up about the offense but in the end our staff is experienced in winning through D. I see hope for a path where we can be improved on O but sneaky good on D.

This. It wasn’t close at all. The good news is Ogbole played with a blatant case of the gitters missing several bunnies that you have to think he won’t screw up when he calms down. It wasn’t a talent issue. They were unguarded set bank shots right under the basket on back door cuts.

The other good news is despite our issues at the 5 we held a big lead most of the game. The collapse was less about that position than it was how we handled Dylan’s foul trouble and the sloppy turnovers at the very end.

I’m excited because I see potential for this team to be very good on D when everything comes together even though the end score board doesn’t reflect that. We had flashes of old school Pike lock down stuff in the first half. Everyone is pumped up about the offense but in the end our staff is experienced in winning through D. I see hope for a path where we can be improved on O but sneaky good on D.
I was probably the first to go against popular opinion and acknowledge that Ogbole was fine the other night. The one thing that surprised me was that he didn't just explode up for dunk attempts when under the hoop. It was good he got himself in those positions though.

I was probably the first to go against popular opinion and acknowledge that Ogbole was fine the other night. The one thing that surprised me was that he didn't just explode up for dunk attempts when under the hoop. It was good he got himself in those positions though.
Are we just so used to Cliff being a freak of nature? I noticed the same thing, it's like his shoes are made of cement when he goes up.

I'm gonna assume it's just the usual Pike hyperbole when he says Ogbole has the best vertical we've ever had under him.

Are we just so used to Cliff being a freak of nature? I noticed the same thing, it's like his shoes are made of cement when he goes up.

I'm gonna assume it's just the usual Pike hyperbole when he says Ogbole has the best vertical we've ever had under him.
Yeah, Cliffs biggest attribute was how quickly he could get up with minimal setup. Seems Ogbole can only rise when running forward, lacks the coordination when moving backwards or at a standstill. In fairness, this is true for a lot of guys.

Yeah, Cliffs biggest attribute was how quickly he could get up with minimal setup. Seems Ogbole can only rise when running forward, lacks the coordination when moving backwards or at a standstill. In fairness, this is true for a lot of guys.
There is a difference between having a high vertical leap and how explosive or quickly one can make that vertical leap. Omoruyi was ridiculously quick with his leaping ... off the charts explosively quick vertical leap.

I do not know if Ogbole's vertical leap is higher or not - it may be. but may not be. Certainly Omoruyi is quicker upward than Ogbole, not even close.

I would add that Ogbole absolutely runs the floor baseline to baseline much better than Omoruyi - either because he is faster, or because that is just his style and inclination. You could see that even in his limited minutes last season, and also was shown a little in the exhibition vs St. Johns.

Reactions: seansherm

I mean - sure - that would be great but he didn’t really need to dunk the two bunnies that he missed. He wasn’t playing loose and just botched them despite having plenty of time. It could happen with a point blank dunk too - like the one MJ missed that cost us a birth in the Sweet 16.

My take is this - he’s going to make those more often than he misses so that tells me he should be good for an average of 6 or so points in his 21ish minutes and 4-5 rebounds which isn’t going to wow anyone but would be fine if we had another transfer ready to come in and give solid minutes the other half of the game. The problem is we didn’t bring one in and it’s going to be a good while before Sommerville is able to contribute net positive minutes. Martini will be able to play the 5 in some games but many he will not. So we clearly have a hole.

That was my first thought, that Cliff's hops were just that special.

I mean - sure - that would be great but he didn’t really need to dunk the two bunnies that he missed. He wasn’t playing loose and just botched them despite having plenty of time. It could happen with a point blank dunk too - like the one MJ missed that cost us a birth in the Sweet 16.

My take is this - he’s going to make those more often than he misses so that tells me he should be good for an average of 6 or so points in his 21ish minutes and 4-5 rebounds which isn’t going to wow anyone but would be fine if we had another transfer ready to come in and give solid minutes the other half of the game. The problem is we didn’t bring one in and it’s going to be a good while before Sommerville is able to contribute net positive minutes. Martini will be able to play the 5 in some games but many he will not. So we clearly have a hole.
I agree with all you say. I won't hold that against EO though, thinking he should be better than he's capable because the team didn't get him the help.

I agree with all you say. I won't hold that against EO though, thinking he should be better than he's capable because the team didn't get him the help.
it has nothing to do with him. The issues is the other half of the game. We needed another proven utility player and ended up deciding not to get one - possibly because we were afraid of Sommerville walking out the door.

Reactions: seansherm
There is a difference between having a high vertical leap and how explosive or quickly one can make that vertical leap. Omoruyi was ridiculously quick with his leaping ... off the charts explosively quick vertical leap.

I do not know if Ogbole's vertical leap is higher or not - it may be. but may not be. Certainly Omoruyi is quicker upward than Ogbole, not even close.

I would add that Ogbole absolutely runs the floor baseline to baseline much better than Omoruyi - either because he is faster, or because that is just his style and inclination. You could see that even in his limited minutes last season, and also was shown a little in the exhibition vs St. Johns.
Ogbole is also carrying ~30 extra pounds, which I'd imagine factors into explosiveness upward.

I'd like to see Ogbole get mean and physical with the ball. Didn't Pike say he has a huge vertical? He's obviously an absolute monster physically. Wouldn't mind an offensive foul even. Make the defender not want to be between Ogbole and the rim ever again

Reactions: BillyC80
I'd like to see Ogbole get mean and physical with the ball. Didn't Pike say he has a huge vertical? He's obviously an absolute monster physically. Wouldn't mind an offensive foul even. Make the defender not want to be between Ogbole and the rim ever again
It would be nice, but at the same time, everyone was already getting on him the minute he committed his first foul. I'm ok with him easing in to find out what he can and can't get away with rather than having 5 fouls in 15 minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT