ADVERTISEMENT

RU Syracuse Game Thread

Yes, big crowd. Overall, we really played well. Love to beat the Fruit. Keep it up fellas! Go RU!

Last edited:
I'm one who said that Jules had an inconsistent year last year but has been steady overall this year except for Princeton. Obviously he had a monster game today. You go Jules!

One thing lost today...this was the highest attended RU Lax game in school history...5100. Just like RU Wrestling, RU Lax fanbase has grown exponentially. I could see 5k plus in the stadium for Hopkins, Michigan and PSU next month.
With hopefully better weather...

"The Legion" will grow!

It is good to see Jules getting the proper respect!!

My family and I went to the game. Montclair lacrosse in the house!!! Jules was amazing today...he was in a flow state.
Defense was great at times, but also had a few lapses. Syracuse is very good in the 6 on 6 sets but we have better athletes overall.
Congrats to the coaches and players for a B1G time performance. Crowd was very big too. Loved seeing the Cuse fans leaving early.

I've been very critical of #14. Thought that he had an excellent game today. Really stepped it up a notch. Congrats! Also, agree with Cali that Max found his game as the game progressed. You go Max!

Reactions: RUMountie
Koleszar, you need to relax a bit otherwise you are a candidate for ulcers and disappointments. Great win and well earned. And coming as part of a very toigh schrcule week. And yes the Princeton loss/collapse really stings. Up 14-10 and losing like we did and especially to Princeton. But give credit where it is due the team todsy wasn't going to let this one grt away in the 4th quarter. Again, great win, well earned and one that has not only Brecht but us fans smiling.

Question for x's & o's guys. What adjustment did Desco make at half time that enabled his guys to get loose on the crease behind our D for four goals? We seem to have stopped it as the half wore on.

I've been very critical of #14. Thought that he had an excellent game today. Really stepped it up a notch. Congrats! Also, agree with Cali that Max found his game as the game progressed. You go Max!

You are very wrong on 14. That kid is a warrior. He may have had a few turnovers against Princeton, but he's been a huge net positive. He is an exceptional short stick defensive midfielder. You need to understand the position he plays.

As a shortstick midfielder, every team we play goes at him. That is the goal to start offense. He is not a short stick you want to go after. He moves his feet and plays with aggression. He is also often asked to clear the ball, and then even play offense going at the oppositions offensive middies. He also plays man down D.

That kid is one of the best short sticks in the country. IMO, maybe the best. He does it all.

Reactions: asgot and RU62
The freshman 34 looks like he’s pretty good. He’s really quick and scored a nice goal today. And that early enrollee Coyne is impressive. He was robbed of a goal by the refs.

Reactions: RUMountie
Both of those kids are going to be handfuls in the very near future.
I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that. I follow the team but I don’t follow recruiting like I do with football and basketball. That was nice to see we got two offensively minded kids starting as frosh

Coyne was sort of thrust into the lineup after AC went down, but he would have been seeing minutes at midfield if not. He will be a special player before he is done. Hard to believe that kid would otherwise be in high school right now if he didn't enroll early.

Wouldn't be surprised to see 34 move to attack in the future.

Two wins against ranked teams this week, without Christian Trasolini, hope he returns at full strength soon.

I was concerned about this stretch from Brown to Delaware leading into B1G play, especially this middle stretch of 3 tough games in 8 days. The Princeton loss stings but if we can come away with a W vs. UDel we will be very well situated. Shouldn’t need much motivation to give our all against the Hens considering what that loss cost us last year.

The team has been improving each week during this stretch. Today was the best I’ve seen the 6 on 6 offense and defense and EMO in the past several years. MDD still needs work but if we can score in settled situations and man up we will be tough to beat because it’s only a matter of time before our transition game starts clicking as that is our bread and butter. There are some new pieces that are just starting to get used to the pace of the game at this level. We saw it today with 32. Had a great finish then followed up with a very rookie outside shot with no backer. These are the kind of ups and downs you live with when you play talented freshmen. But you can see the confidence growing each week and these are not ordinary freshman.

Would be nice to have a cushion that wins against Army and Princeton would have provided going into the B1G schedule, but this team is as talented as any in the conference and looks poised for a nice tourney run.

Question for x's & o's guys. What adjustment did Desco make at half time that enabled his guys to get loose on the crease behind our D for four goals? We seem to have stopped it as the half wore on.

I didn't start paying attention to the crease guy until goal 4 but it looked like Desko had the crease guy set up a little higher than normal and knowing we would be quick to slide he just had the crease guy slip behind our defender as soon as our defender's eyes followed the ball moving up top. Once Cuse guy saw back of defenders helmet he didn't mak a hard cut toward the goal but instead just quietly took a few steps.

Our defender didn't seem to be totally lock d on the crease guy. Stick not making contact with the offensive player.

We were exploited on the crease at Princeton as well but we shut it down vs. Lehigh.

I didn't start paying attention to the crease guy until goal 4 but it looked like Desko had the crease guy set up a little higher than normal and knowing we would be quick to slide he just had the crease guy slip behind our defender as soon as our defender's eyes followed the ball moving up top. Once Cuse guy saw back of defenders helmet he didn't mak a hard cut toward the goal but instead just quietly took a few steps.

Our defender didn't seem to be totally lock d on the crease guy. Stick not making contact with the offensive player.

We were exploited on the crease at Princeton as well but we shut it down vs. Lehigh.
Thanks jayman. I knew something was up.

You are very wrong on 14. That kid is a warrior. He may have had a few turnovers against Princeton, but he's been a huge net positive. He is an exceptional short stick defensive midfielder. You need to understand the position he plays.

As a shortstick midfielder, every team we play goes at him. That is the goal to start offense. He is not a short stick you want to go after. He moves his feet and plays with aggression. He is also often asked to clear the ball, and then even play offense going at the oppositions offensive middies. He also plays man down D.

That kid is one of the best short sticks in the country. IMO, maybe the best. He does it all.
Thanks for your opinion. When on D I've seen #14 be beaten routinely throughout this season & last. Also seen him careless with the ball on more than one occasion, though more so last year. As I said, he had an excellent game yesterday. Notice that, as an expert on lacrosse, you didn't comment on my question re: Desco's move after halftime to get a guy free in the crease. It's ok though, jayman explained it.

Not sure, but I think we were man down on the last few goals where the crease guy was wide open. I don’t think that has much to do with any adjustments by Cuse as much as it is something we need to tighten up on MDD. They were setting a high crease and the offside defender was simply not sloughing in enough. That’s pretty basic and any D1 EMO unit is going to exploit that every time.

Reactions: Caliknight
Thanks for your opinion. When on D I've seen #14 be beaten routinely throughout this season & last. Also seen him careless with the ball on more than one occasion, though more so last year. As I said, he had an excellent game yesterday. Notice that, as an expert on lacrosse, you didn't comment on my question re: Desco's move after halftime to get a guy free in the crease. It's ok though, jayman explained it.

It’s not really an opinion. It’s just facts. Has he gotten beat? Sure. It happens. Every offense we play is designed to go after the short stick. That’s him. He plays more D than anyone on the team. Then clears the ball usually, sometimes staying on offense. As well as man down D he also plays wings on face offs. He’s an an incredible asset to the team, and as short stick middies go, he’s an incredible defender. As is number 12. Both of those kids get after it, even though they are the guys who get picked on the most with offenses designed to go specifically at them. You can throw 18 in there as well. Collectively they are one of the best rope units in the country. And individually.

See rbled’s answer to your question. Desko didn’t do anything scheme wise. It was basic defensive error.

It’s not really an opinion. It’s just facts. Has he gotten beat? Sure. It happens. Every offense we play is designed to go after the short stick. That’s him. He plays more D than anyone on the team. Then clears the ball usually, sometimes staying on offense. As well as man down D he also plays wings on face offs. He’s an an incredible asset to the team, and as short stick middies go, he’s an incredible defender. As is number 12. Both of those kids get after it, even though they are the guys who get picked on the most with offenses designed to go specifically at them. You can throw 18 in there as well. Collectively they are one of the best rope units in the country. And individually.

See rbled’s answer to your question. Desko didn’t do anything scheme wise. It was basic defensive error.
rbled & I aren't talking about the same situations. He's mentioning the last few goals when we were man down, I talked about early in the second half when they sprung men open on the crease for three goals & one more a short time later. And it was clear that Desco had made an adjustment. Surprised you didn't see it. It's ok, jayman caught it & explained what had happened.

As for our D middie, I'm sorry but it is just your opinion. I don't need you to tell me I don't know anything about the position of D middie & explain it's function & responsibilities to me. I watched my grandson play three years of collegiate short stick D middie & I knew when he got beaten & when he threw the ball away, which wasn't very often. Pretty presumptious of you, but not unexpected. I said our guy had an excellent game Sun. He played very well in all phases of the game, unlike in the past where he was often beaten & was careless with the ball & turned it over. Very happy to see him have such a good game which is why I posted about him.

Last edited:
Sorry, that kid doesn't get beat very often. If that is what you are seeing, you don't know what you are watching. He's an exceptional on ball short stick defensive midfielder. Combine that with everything else he does, and you're simply off base.

But yes, he did have a great game Sunday.

As to adjustments, Desko didn't make any adjustments. They were feeding the crease from the first faceoff. One one of the goals, the crease defender wasn't watching man ball and slid up to high. On another, the simply made a good play. Tip the cap.

They are tough to defend because of the shooters they have at range. So the guys are always looking to slide out to the shooters, which makes the crease vulnerable even though that is to be protected first. It's D1 lacrosse. Syracuse is a great program. Some of them were us falling asleep, others were just them making plays.

Last edited:
Sorry, that kid doesn't get beat very often. If that is what you are seeing, you don't know what you are watching. He's an exceptional on ball short stick defensive midfielder. Combine that with everything else he does, and you're simply off base.

But yes, he did have a great game Sunday.

As to adjustments, Desko didn't make any adjustments. They were feeding the crease from the first faceoff. One one of the goals, the crease defender wasn't watching man ball and slid up to high. On another, the simply made a good play. Tip the cap.

They are tough to defend because of the shooters they have at range. So the guys are always looking to slide out to the shooters, which makes the crease vulnerable even though that is to be protected first. It's D1 lacrosse. Syracuse is a great program. Some of them were us falling asleep, others were just them making plays.
Sorry but he has gotten beaten in almost every game up until yesterday, sometimes more than once. You simply don't know what you're watching. IMO Desco did make an adjustment at half time. They got guys loose on the crease on multiple occasions at the beginning of the second half, until we addressed it. Or else it was just a huge coincidence. See jayman's post.

There is no scheming any coach can do to spring a guy to be wide open on the crease other than picks and other inside games, which is basically standard lacrosse that defenders need to fight through not some exotic strategy. Either the defender got caught ball watching or, as Cali noted, the crease defender was going early due to their outside range and the backside defender was late to slide. Every crease attackman in the country will follow a slide and look for a soft spot. If the far side defender is not sloughed in or is late to slide that is a layup every time. It is something we need to fix vs. some kind of coaching adjustment by Cuse.

Reactions: Caliknight
You realize if a starting d midfielder gets beat once game, with as much as he plays, then he is doing something incredible right? And he isn't getting beat once a game, not for goals.

You must be watching 14 on another team or something. It's incredible how wrong you are.

And the Syracuse's coach's name is Desko. Not Desco.

You realize if a starting d midfielder gets beat once game, with as much as he plays, then he is doing something incredible right? And he isn't getting beat once a game, not for goals.

You must be watching 14 on another team or something. It's incredible how wrong you are.

And the Syracuse's coach's name is Desko. Not Desco.
Thanks for the correction on Desko. You seem to be moving the goal posts on getting beaten. That's ok. You're certainly not reticent about telling someone that they're wrong. Well you're original position on this is dead wrong.

Last edited:
There is no scheming any coach can do to spring a guy to be wide open on the crease other than picks and other inside games, which is basically standard lacrosse that defenders need to fight through not some exotic strategy. Either the defender got caught ball watching or, as Cali noted, the crease defender was going early due to their outside range and the backside defender was late to slide. Every crease attackman in the country will follow a slide and look for a soft spot. If the far side defender is not sloughed in or is late to slide that is a layup every time. It is something we need to fix vs. some kind of coaching adjustment by Cuse.

^ this, rudad. What you saw was a simple slide breakdown on one goal, one of the short stick defenders (not 14) getting caught not watching man ball on another, and their kids making a play on at least another. As to the end of the game on man down, we'd already started celebrating. Forget those.

There was no scheme that Desko adjusted to. It's just simple lacrosse and basic crease/pick stuff, and a breakdown of responsibility on our side.

Desko didn't adjust at all in fact. O or D. His D got torched all game. See Heningburg's quote about it.

Thanks for the correction on Desko. You seem to be moving the goal posts on getting beaten. That's ok. You're certainly not reticent about telling someone that they're wrong. Well you're original position this is dead wrong.

Not moving any goal posts. The kid is an incredible on ball defender. Amongst other things. You just don't know what you're seeing.

Watch the game again. Watch Syracuse's short stick middies. That's what getting beat looks like.

Not moving any goal posts. The kid is an incredible on ball defender. Amongst other things. You just don't know what you're seeing.

Watch the game again. Watch Syracuse's short stick middies. That's what getting beat looks like.
Yea you did move the goal posts. You just don't know what you were seeing. You obviously missed seeing this kid get beaten time & again, oftentimes for goals. Or you don't want to acknowledge it. Or you're not the lacrosse guru you've been held out to be. I do know that you never acknowledge when you're wrong.

^ this, rudad. What you saw was a simple slide breakdown on one goal, one of the short stick defenders (not 14) getting caught not watching man ball on another, and their kids making a play on at least another. As to the end of the game on man down, we'd already started celebrating. Forget those.

There was no scheme that Desko adjusted to. It's just simple lacrosse and basic crease/pick stuff, and a breakdown of responsibility on our side.

Desko didn't adjust at all in fact. O or D. His D got torched all game. See Heningburg's quote about it.
Try to respond to the point. I've said several times that I wasn't referring to end of game goals. I saw them do it to us 4 times in the beginning of the second half, not once or twice. Nor was I talking about Syr's D as I'm sure you well know. Nice try though.

Last edited:
Yea you did move the goal posts. You just don't know what you were seeing. You obviously missed seeing this kid get beaten time & again, oftentimes for goals. Or you don't want to acknowledge it. Or you're not the lacrosse guru you've been held out to be. I do know that you never acknowledge when you're wrong.

I’ve never held out to be anything. I know you were asking very basic questions in the past, as you are now about some crazy scheme their coach came up with, when in reality, it’s basic lacrosse play you learn in grade school.

I’m sorry I tried to educate you. You’re right, the kid gets burned all the time, and can’t play. It’s amazing he’s a 4 year starter. Obviously a huge coaching blunder. If only we had other players Coach Brecht could go to.

You should consider coaching. You’re obviously a lax genius. I’m super impressed.

I’ve never held out to be anything. I know you were asking very basic questions in the past, as you are now about some crazy scheme their coach came up with, when in reality, it’s basic lacrosse play you learn in grade school.

I’m sorry I tried to educate you. You’re right, the kid gets burned all the time, and can’t play. It’s amazing he’s a 4 year starter. Obviously a huge coaching blunder. If only we had other players Coach Brecht could go to.

You should consider coaching. You’re obviously a lax genius. I’m super impressed.
Pretty unheard of for a coach to make an adjustment at half time. Desko would never do that. Sure you're right about that. And I certainly don't need you to lecture & educate me about basic man on man defense. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but not your alternative facts. You're way to quick to jam it in someone's face & tell them what they don't know. Who are you to be jamming your opinions down anyone's throat. I probably have forgotten more about athletics than you will ever know. And you're never wrong or acknowledge that you may have been. For example, you insisted in a prolonged back & forth that the US Women's Soccer Team was not entitled to an increase in salary or benefits. I argued that they were. In the end the women won an historic & substantial increase in both salary & benefits. You were never big enough to acknowledge that you had had it wrong. Your only comment came in a snarky post month's later to ridicule their raise when they lost an exhibition game.

Pretty unheard of for a coach to make an adjustment at half time. Desko would never do that. Sure you're right about that. And I certainly don't need you to lecture & educate me about basic man on man defense. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but not your alternative facts. You're way to quick to jam it in someone's face & tell them what they don't know. Who are you to be jamming your opinions down anyone's throat. I probably have forgotten more about athletics than you will ever know. And you're never wrong or acknowledge that you may have been. For example, you insisted in a prolonged back & forth that the US Women's Soccer Team was not entitled to an increase in salary or benefits. I argued that they were. In the end the women won an historic & substantial increase in both salary & benefits. You were never big enough to acknowledge that you had had it wrong. Your only comment came in a snarky post month's later to ridicule their raise when they lost an exhibition game.

He didn't make an adjustment. On offense or D. I would still would argue they aren't worth it. Simple economics that haven't changed. I never argued they wouldn't win a court case. You must be confused.

So you're an athletic genius as a whole, not just lacrosse. Good to know. Because you are, I'd recommend stop being so defensive about everything. You know everything, just take comfort in that.

Done trying to help you. You can figure the rest out yourself.

Yes Big, congrats to Jules. Best performance I have seen from anyone in an RU uniform in a long while.

He didn't make an adjustment. On offense or D. I would still would argue they aren't worth it. Simple economics that haven't changed. I never argued they wouldn't win a court case. You must be confused.

So you're an athletic genius as a whole, not just lacrosse. Good to know. Because you are, I'd recommend stop being so defensive about everything. You know everything, just take comfort in that.

Yes Big, congrats to Jules. Best performance I have seen from anyone in an RU uniform in a long while.

Good to know that you're in direct communication with Desko. With regard to Women's Soccer, you can argue that they aren't worth it till you're blue in the face. They got it & it wasn't based on simple economics, which you never acknowledged. And by the way, they won it through collective bargaining not through a court case. Try not to get confused & let your alternative facts take over. With regard to other issues posted on the board, I know it's very hard, but you ought to practice expressing a contrary opinion as that. Telling people that they don't know anything or that they don't know what they're looking at, jamming your opinion down people's throats doesn't always sit well. Especially since you don't know what they may know. Try a respectful exchange of opinions & see how that works. Somehow I'll try to muddle through without your "help".

Good for Jules. Well deserved.

ADVERTISEMENT