ADVERTISEMENT

RU Syracuse Game Thread

They did get it. And it wasn't based on economics. We can agree on that.

Never said I was in communication with Desko. Nor do I need to be to know what adjustments were made. In this case, there weren't any. Which is part of the reason they got beat.

My first response to you on the subject was very cordial. It was a courtesy to correct you. Then you got defensive. Maybe you don't know as much as you think you do or something, I don't know. But you can believe what you want. I just wouldn't say this stuff in front of people that know the game because they will tell you exactly what I am.

Never said I was in communication with Desko. Nor do I need to be to know what adjustments were made. In this case, there weren't any. Which is part of the reason they got beat.

My first response to you on the subject was very cordial. It was a courtesy to correct you. Then you got defensive. Maybe you don't know as much as you think you do or something, I don't know. But you can believe what you want. I just wouldn't say this stuff in front of people that know the game because they will tell you exactly what I a

My first response to you on the subject was very cordial. It was a courtesy to correct you. Then you got defensive. Maybe you don't know as much as you think you do or something, I don't know. But you can believe what you want. I just wouldn't say this stuff in front of people that know the game because they will tell you exactly what I am.
You didn't need to correct anyone. All you needed to do is to express your contrary opinion. Trust me, I know when aguy is getting beat or not.

That's the point, there was no need to correct anyone. You just need to express your contrary opinion. Trust me, I know when a guy is getting beaten or not. The point of my post was to compliment 14 on an exceptional game. To that end, I'm not going to engage in further exchanges on him getting beaten. Hopefully he has many more outstanding games.

It wasn't an opinion. It's a fact. One shared by the head coach who puts him out there early and often every single game. Think of it like this- no head coach is starting a D middie every game since they arrived on campus who gets beat "routinely" and "often". It's actually silly at this point to argue otherwise.

Again, you can believe what you want, as incorrect as it is. I am not here to educate you. Just was doing you a solid. No harm no foul if you don't want to learn.

Enjoy the rest of the games!

^ this, rudad. What you saw was a simple slide breakdown on one goal, one of the short stick defenders (not 14) getting caught not watching man ball on another, and their kids making a play on at least another. As to the end of the game on man down, we'd already started celebrating. Forget those.

There was no scheme that Desko adjusted to. It's just simple lacrosse and basic crease/pick stuff, and a breakdown of responsibility on our side.

Desko didn't adjust at all in fact. O or D. His D got torched all game. See Heningburg's quote about it.
This is not completely true as you can High LI the crease have the low guy fade to the backside but, part of the issue was simply their ablolity to catch and shoot. If they were able to split the the crease it would create a long slide and force the pole to make decisions. I am not saying that is what happened but that would be a way to scheme the slide and change the approach of the defense. I did not see the game so I would have to make some assumptions, I am sure that both have you have a point. rudad I know that B.B. thinks that Scarpis o e of his best sadm, he takes chances and gets beat but he also makes a lot of plays and does a lot of good things on offense. As you know, every college team looks for the SSDM match up and try and exploit it. For as often as they go after him I think he does a pretty good job. I heard that Tolliver played very well

They weren’t doing that. It looked like fundamental crease play. Basic stuff, which still makes the crease defenders have to make decisions. We fell asleep on one and their guy made a play on another. They feed the crease a lot, even if guys aren’t open. Definitely Toliver’s best game. He didn’t get beat, slid well in the team game, and helped clear. He also made a great play on the sidelines forcing a guy out for a turnover. It was impressive.

Toliver had the best D game I've seen this year.
It wasn't an opinion. It's a fact. One shared by the head coach who puts him out there early and often every single game. Think of it like this- no head coach is starting a D middie every game since they arrived on campus who gets beat "routinely" and "often". It's actually silly at this point to argue otherwise.

Again, you can believe what you want, as incorrect as it is. I am not here to educate you. Just was doing you a solid. No harm no foul if you don't want to learn.

Enjoy the rest of the games!
That's you're opinion. Don't tell me what I've seen & haven't seen. You obviously can't help yourself. Have to have it your way & have the last word. If you want to keep this up suit yourself.

This is not completely true as you can High LI the crease have the low guy fade to the backside but, part of the issue was simply their ablolity to catch and shoot. If they were able to split the the crease it would create a long slide and force the pole to make decisions. I am not saying that is what happened but that would be a way to scheme the slide and change the approach of the defense. I did not see the game so I would have to make some assumptions, I am sure that both have you have a point. rudad I know that B.B. thinks that Scarpis o e of his best sadm, he takes chances and gets beat but he also makes a lot of plays and does a lot of good things on offense. As you know, every college team looks for the SSDM match up and try and exploit it. For as often as they go after him I think he does a pretty good job. I heard that Tolliver played very well
Toliver did play very well.

Family, see jayman's post above if you haven't already. He had an explaination. Again I don't know the schemes. Was curious because they came out early in the second half & had guys loose on the crease & score 4 times.

I just watched the third quarter goals by Cuse. It appears just to be some sloppy defense by RU. On the first one 18 was the crease defender in a one on set which generally means he is the go. 22 was behind the cage for some reason while the ball was up top, kind of a no no in the type of defense they were playing. If 22 was above the goal he would have been standing next to Bomberry.
Goal 2 was a quick dodge off the invert Mazzone plays him well kid just made a good play.
Goal 3 Cuse rotates their offense well getting 40 turned around a little to a point where he lets his kid go to the crease but does not slide to the ball, this allows the open feed that the 2 slide covers but then we get no third slide and the kid picks up garbage.
If I were breaking this film down we would be discussing the missed defensive assignments on 2 of the 3 goals as I do not see anything special that Cuse is doing to create these opportunities.

Last edited:
I just watched the third quarter goals by Cuse. It appears just to be some sloppy defense by RU. On the first one 18 was the crease defender in a one on set which generally means he is the go. 22 was behind the cage for some reason while the ball was up top, kind of a no no in the type of defense they were playing. If 22 was above the goal he would have been standing next to Bomberry.
Goal 2 was a quick dodge off the invert Mazzone plays him well kid just made a good play.
Goal 3 Cuse rotates their offense well getting 40 turned around a little to a point where he lets his kid go to the crease but does not slide to the ball, this allows the open feed that the 2 slide covers but then we get no third slide and the kid picks up garbage.
If I were breaking this film down we would be discussing the missed defensive assignments on 2 of the 3 goals as I do not see anything special that Cuse is doing to create these opportunities.
Thanks family. I appreciate you breaking it down. I do believe him Cali. Incidentally, just to add family, that's the best I've seen Toliver play this year.

Good. And to add to what Jay said, and he was right, is that it's all just very basic crease play. Things you learn when learning the game. Same principles hold true in other sports, like basketball. If a defender slides you follow them, if he isn't watching you, find open space. It wasn't anything schematic.

We weren't sliding properly on one or very simply marking the guy on crease on the other. Number 18 got caught ball watching and lost track of his man. Easy dunk. Very simple to correct. As fam said, their guy made a play on the other, though I bet Max wishes he had that one back. Another goal was junk after a save.

On to Delaware. We need to get at their goalie early. He had a career day last year and once he started making saves, he didn't stop.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
If you such a big fan why weren’t you at the game? Probably just spewing something someone else said.

He is a big fan. And lax alum. And coach. From a legendary lacrosse coaching family. He clearly watched a replay based off of seeing exactly what I saw, and rbled saw, who himself knows what he talking about.

Why is this guy asgot always so argumentative? It's so odd.

Good. And to add to what Jay said, and he was right, is that it's all just very basic crease play. Things you learn when learning the game. Same principles hold true in other sports, like basketball. If a defender slides you follow them, if he isn't watching you, find open space. It wasn't anything schematic.

We weren't sliding properly on one or very simply marking the guy on crease on the other. Number 18 got caught ball watching and lost track of his man. Easy dunk. Very simple to correct. As fam said, their guy made a play on the other, though I bet Max wishes he had that one back. Another goal was junk after a save.

On to Delaware. We need to get at their goalie early. He had a career day last year and once he started making saves, he didn't stop.[/QUOTE
Certainly understand about finding open space. Same thing in hockey. Gotcha. On to Delaware.

If you such a big fan why weren’t you at the game? Probably just spewing something someone else said.
I had a couple of personal tho ha going on Sunday and could not make the game or see it on TV
He is a big fan. And lax alum. And coach. From a legendary lacrosse coaching family. He clearly watched a replay based off of seeing exactly what I saw, and rbled saw, who himself knows what he talking about.

Why is this guy asgot always so argumentative? It's so odd.
Sorry spring is a busy time for me and we had a rather serious incident in my family. Everyone is ok but we have had to do some unexpected things that leave me virtually no time for much else . That is why I was not at the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT