ADVERTISEMENT

RU vs (20)Indiana 03/06/20 Game Thread

omg stop this...its embarrassing for you
Come on BAC. You and I saw the same game. Of course Rutgers didn't deserve to win. But I've played in games like this where even when my team played their best, and the talent was there, there was no way we were going to win. It's not a conspiracy or a wink-wink. It's just something of a certain built-in bias and that's okay. Whether a call was made or not at a crucial point in the game or a deserving call was made or not made, it's part of the game. I've seen that happen countless times and I'm sure you have too.

Did we deserve to win today? Absolutely not. We missed a ton of bunnies and our outside shooting was atrocious. Also, for how great C Viv. stresses defense, we were horrendous blocking anybody out under the boards. IU had so many second and third chances to score on several occasions.

I'll just leave it at that.

Can we try to be respectful to each other. Women's basketball needs all the support we can get. I don't want my daughters to see us act like this. Thank you.

I would not wanna see your daugter or anyones daughter being ridiculed by old men on a message board....but, hey, they are huge fans.

There is an adult way to show displeasure without ridiculing those girls with demeaning language....and it was not just this game thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: MADHAT1
Watched a bit of the 4th quarter and was again reminded why I try to avoid watching women's basketball. It's practically Calvinball out there the way the rules are selectively applied and enforced.

Still, we couldn't buy a layup and played really sloppy disorganized ball. We scored almost as many points from the FT line (25, on 25/33) than we did from 2P range (26, on 13/42). Guirantes scored half our points.

Reactions: bac2therac
Come on BAC. You and I saw the same game. Of course Rutgers didn't deserve to win. But I've played in games like this where even when my team played their best, there was no way we were going to win. Whether a call was made or not at a crucial point in the game. Did we deserve to win today? Absolutely not. We missed a ton of bunnies and our outside shooting was atrocious. Also, for how great C Viv. stresses defense, we were horrendous blocking anybody out under the boards. IU had so many second and third chances to score on several occasions.

I'll just leave it at that.

whether the refs were bad or not, RU wasnt winning today, they were outplayed and Indiana hit daggers everytime RU tried to get back in it. Sure the refs were not good but they never are in womens hoops

its absurd to suggest some fix for fans in the seats for a tourney held every single year in Indiana

whether the refs were bad or not, RU wasnt winning today, they were outplayed and Indiana hit daggers everytime RU tried to get back in it. Sure the refs were not good but they never are in womens hoops

its absurd to suggest some fix for fans in the seats for a tourney held every single year in Indiana
Read my edited version. I think you'll agree more with me because I explain it better.

Fix in. CVS should go ballistic with the B1G. As well as the seeding in NCAA.

Bac - I respect your point of view but I think you tilt too far on the spectrum of not accepting the impact that referees have on the game.

As the poster above said that ridiculous call resulted in us not being seven down. Could have been anyone's game. You are probably right we dont win (given how poorly we were playing and how poorly we were making decisions) but I don't think it's correct to completely dismiss the impact the officials had on the outcome.

Imho, you tend to lean too far in that direction.

Reactions: LtCol144
Didn't see the second half so I'll shut up about it.
Just will say : Rutgers lost by 18 and not happy about it.

I expect some who rarely post during wins will have their say.
An 18 point loss will keep me quiet, but not bothered by the trolls that I expect to be enjoying the loss while claiming to care.

Now for permission slips :Sly:
For the RU WBB fans unhappy about this game, you have every right to be mad.
To the ones (who care and complain a lot)
you're right to complain about the faults you feel cause such dismal play and losing by 18 makes it dismal.

As for the trolls who enjoy the loss, Happy Days are here again you can whine your butt off again, until RU wins in the first NCAA tourney game they play.

And to all Stringer will be back if she wants, so live with it.:Chop banana:
I said during a bad spell towards the end of season: I'll reserve judgement on if I'll support CVS' return for the 2020-21 season or want Hobbs to ask her to retire, if she doesn't do it on her own, and offer her Head Coach Emeritus. But in any case let her know she will be replaced, so she could go out graceful being honored, or fired but respected for all she had accomplished up until now.

My position now is:
If RU goes dancing I want Stringer back, no dance ticket, Vivian should be replaced.

Reactions: bac2therac
Bac - I respect your point of view but I think you tilt too far on the spectrum of not accepting the impact that referees have on the game.

As the poster above said that ridiculous call resulted in us not being seven down. Could have been anyone's game. You are probably right we dont win (given how poorly we were playing and how poorly we were making decisions) but I don't think it's correct to completely dismiss the impact the officials had on the outcome.

Imho, you tend to lean too far in that direction.

fair enough.

bac2therac said:
you are not the only one...my beef moreso with the guy who called me an idiot.
Disgusting and totally uncalled for.
I'll put my 2 cents in, maybe even a nickle.
Anyone who ever read bac's game summeries would know when it comes to basketball bac's far from an idiot.
When it comes to critiquing loses, he might go to the extreme when criticizing , but bac does care and wants the RU WBB team to win every game they play.

You know how I feel about the officiating in the women's game, but today these male refs are atrocious. Another offensive foul on Arella on that last play. Really? Hmmm. Getting some real home cooking today in Indiana.
Ah, that may be true but what is killing RU is the missed bunnies under the basket. How can you not put the shot up into the square box on the glass. How can you throw up a layup on the right side and have it fall off on the left side. Good defense, no offense year after year.

I think the team was a little tired after playing 2 games in a row. That can cause missed layups etc. Hopefully we get a decent seeding and win 1 or 2 in the NCAA tourney.

probably headed toward an 8/9 game. Just want them to get a first round game vs probably a mid major like team and get the experience playing a 1 seed. Next year things will be brighter

Watched first 3 quarters but had to leave... checked on later on phone... not surprised in the least... maybe we can win a couple in Dance

True. But not on every open layup. You have to admit, we've missed a ton of bunnies today.
Most every game missed layups occur which in some games is the difference between winning and losing.

Reactions: RU MAN
Ah, that may be true but what is killing RU is the missed bunnies under the basket. How can you not put the shot up into the square box on the glass. How can you throw up a layup on the right side and have it fall off on the left side. Good defense, no offense year after year.
Totally agree. Read some of my posts while the game was happening.

"Who is this clown Wngarbarini? Biggest idiot I have ever seen on a message board."

RU-Chopping Ohio - I just read your above post.

Wngarbarini is one of the best fans and financial supporters Rutgers has ever had, He is always at major sporting events and cheers loudly for all sports. He has probably been a Rutgers fan longer than most of us have been alive. We are fortunate to have fans like him.

If you don't like his opinions, that's fine. He tells it like he see it and I hope you report on the game as you see it. That's why I read message boards. To call him a "clown" and "biggest idiot I have ever seen on the message board" is so disrespectful.

I respect your opinion. I do not respect the way you treat Wngarbarini. If we want to grow this sport, we need to come together. All Rutgers fans deserve respect.

Now, let's win the game. Go RU!

Who is moderating this forum? Guess I have to check with Richie on this. The vogarity and attacks on posters just for expressing opinions not liked by some is frankly terrible. Nobody no matter how many posts, how much they spend, how positive they are, has ANY right to attack another here just cause they don't like what was said or that the poster is critical as long as said poster hasn't broken board rules themselves.

Some of the "high and mighty" really got unhinged here today.

I was bowling in my league and traveling so I didnt see the game myself. But how we played, or got screwed has zero to do with board post conduct and decorum.

And some of you wonder why folks avoid this forum. Makes me think twice. I stayed away for a bit, came back, but see it still has some of the same vicious gatekeepers.

You want participation, grow some thicker skin. One is my opinion and one is my feedback to folks who run this overall site.

Fire away.

An 18 point loss will keep me quiet, but not bothered by the trolls that I expect to be enjoying the loss while claiming to care.

you're right to complain about the faults you feel cause such dismal play and losing by 18 makes it dismal.

As for the trolls who enjoy the loss, Happy Days are here again you can whine your butt off again, until RU wins in the first NCAA tourney game they play.

I said during a bad spell towards the end of season: I'll reserve judgement on if I'll support CVS' return for the 2020-21 season or want Hobbs to ask her to retire, if she doesn't do it on her own, and offer her Head Coach Emeritus. But in any case let her know she will be replaced, so she could go out graceful being honored, or fired but respected for all she had accomplished up until now.

My position now is:
If RU goes dancing I want Stringer back, no dance ticket, Vivian should be replaced.

I disagree. If we get in, great. We should.
If we don't. I think we got screwed and CVS EARNED next year with THIS year plus the addition of our 5 pt. Diamond to join TMack and Rella. And if Zippy and Dav. Progress??!!

This women and coach has at least 9 lives.
#5 BIG and NCAA this yr. (expected) and Diamond next year.
That's pretty feakin solid for the ol gal (said with respect).

Who is moderating this forum? Guess I have to check with Richie on this. The vogarity and attacks on posters just for expressing opinions not liked by some is frankly terrible. Nobody no matter how many posts, how much they spend, how positive they are, has ANY right to attack another here just cause they don't like what was said or that the poster is critical as long as said poster hasn't broken board rules themselves.

Some of the "high and mighty" really got unhinged here today.

I was bowling in my league and traveling so I didnt see the game myself. But how we played, or got screwed has zero to do with board post conduct and decorum.

And some of you wonder why folks avoid this forum. Makes me think twice. I stayed away for a bit, came back, but see it still has some of the same vicious gatekeepers.

You want participation, grow some thicker skin. One is my opinion and one is my feedback to folks who run this overall site.

Fire away.

Grow Thicker Skin?...lol, Me?

I'm not one of the hard working girls being called idiotic on a message board. And, it's not this thread only, it was all year. Many times I just read without commenting, just smh.

Would love to see the message board tough guys say it in front of the fathers of one of those girls.

Last edited:
I disagree. If we get in, great. We should.
If we don't. I think we got screwed and CVS EARNED next year with THIS year plus the addition of our 5 pt. Diamond to join TMack and Rella. And if Zippy and Dav. Progress??!!

This women and coach has at least 9 lives.
#5 BIG and NCAA this yr. (expected) and Diamond next year.
That's pretty feakin solid for the ol gal (said with respect).
Totally agree with you '84. Jeez! What more do we need to see. Honestly, ...how many of us expected 3-0 in that last home game stand with OSU and Iowa in there? That is probably what made us most optimistic that this team would beat Indy (the pleasant surprises we've enjoyed down the stretch of this season). Viv and her staff have the team overachieving for the most part. They have to all be near perfect to beat some of these top teams. It's not gonna happen every game. But again.... they never give up.
That's why I can understand Choppin's emotions when someone is painting a totally inaccurate picture of OUR team, in an arguably, malicious tone. As much as she has been leaned on this year, no shot taken by Arella this season could be characterized as "stupid". All mistakes and poor decisions considered, none of our ladies played "idiotically". And to falsely paint a player, who is as worthy as any for the Sportsmanship Award, as "constantly bitching" every game.......That's enough to offend a true fan of the team. I have been appreciative of the manner in which T-Mack has carried herself since entering the program. So much energy.... and even more respect... for every person in the arena. We can criticize the team in a much more respectful way.
Lastly,...The officials were not the reason we lost today. We just didn't play well enough as a team. They didn't play with any confidence in their ability to help Arella out on "O". Some bad calls were made but not to the extent of some of our earlier games this season. The one on Tmack did put the nail in the coffin and gave way to a misleading final score.
The refs seemed to have backed off and allowed us to play the second half of the season. We have been victim of some biased officiating on many occasions, for years. Worst case this season, the LSU game. That was a case of our ladies just not being allowed to win,...no matter how much they deserved to. That one really smelled fishy.

My position now is:
You sound like your mind is already made up about Viv

Grow Thicker Skin?...lol, Me?

I'm not one of the hard working girls being called idiotic on a message board. And, it's not this thread only, it was all year. Many times I just read without commenting, just smh.

Would love to see the message board tough guys say it in front of the fathers of one of those girls.

There is plenty of room on both sides. No doubt. But there is a difference between calling a play stupid and calling a player stupid. No?

I've personally done some stupid stuff. But I don't think I'm stupid. And stupid itself is a poor term.

Attacking people or opinions vs. Actions and yes mistakes are two different things.

There is a group of folks all forums that are just 100% negative. And there is a group of posters that just love to call out other posters cause they're right and anyone not confirming to their opinion isn't. . Neither is helpful. It is no way to have a productive exchange.

But let me add this one personal experience..( I'm not sure if you're back here to meet the team from Ohio)....I did last Sat, and when talking T. Mack and Jordan neither seemed to be the wilting flower types. They play College ball in the Big with hopes of the WNBA. I'm convinced they are far more concerned about what CVS has to say than folks here...(within reason of course).

Reactions: eso1989
It gets a little difficult to stay with this forum when your posts (emotional or otherwise) are routinely blasted by others who continuously push their own perspectives about the leadership of the team. Some see this forum as a space to voice their opinions on what is wrong with the team and how they are coached. I believe in showing support for the program in any way possible.
I know officiating didn’t beat us but these two calls are just deflating to a team trying to play at a high level in front of a hostile crowd. My glasses are scarlet-tinted and always will be. These are great kids and tough competitors. But when things like this go against you repeatedly it’s hard to keep focused on the opponent. I’m done. As 1984 stated earlier, it’s not fun to visit this board anymore and get shouted down for being a supporter of the team.

RU finished fifth with over 20 wins so they are in ... prob a 8/9 seed, but hoping for a 10/11 ... I want to see how RU does with the incoming class ... looks like CVS has a great one. Give them credit.

OK with losing it’s the difference amount of some losses this year that bothers me.

It gets a little difficult to stay with this forum when your posts (emotional or otherwise) are routinely blasted by others who continuously push their own perspectives about the leadership of the team. Some see this forum as a space to voice their opinions on what is wrong with the team and how they are coached. I believe in showing support for the program in any way possible.

I know officiating didn’t beat us but these two calls are just deflating to a team trying to play at a high level in front of a hostile crowd. My glasses are scarlet-tinted and always will be. These are great kids and tough competitors. But when things like this go against you repeatedly it’s hard to keep focused on the opponent. I’m done. As 1984 stated earlier, it’s not fun to visit this board anymore and get shouted down for being a supporter of the team.

Bad calls like that can really deflate players on a team working and playing so hard to stay close to be in position to come back.

It just takes the air right out of your sails.

Fans always get upset when close calls go against their team but these two (and others) were so blatantly bad.

You sound like your mind is already made up about Viv
It just about is.
I'm just about positive RU is going dancing and will be supporting Stringer's return 100%
But a little part of me has questioned the seemingly poor offensive production under CVS and wonder, in today's basketball world,
if she can make next year's roster into an offensive threat to go with the good D that's her trademark.
Because, if RU doesn't get an NCAA Tourney invite: it will be the offense that kept the invite from coming.
I understand the team had injury problems that caused a lack of depth and I might not be right ignoring that in my evaluation, but feel I must stick to the make dance or retire
when evaluating whether CVS deserves another year.

I really want CVS back and going to the dance will, in my mind, be the qualifying factor.

It just about is.
I'm just about positive RU is going dancing and will be supporting Stringer's return 100%
But a little part of me has questioned the seemingly poor offensive production under CVS and wonder, in today's basketball world,
if she can make next year's roster into an offensive threat to go with the good D that's her trademark.
Because, if RU doesn't get an NCAA Tourney invite: it will be the offense that kept the invite from coming.
I understand the team had injury problems that caused a lack of depth and I might not be right ignoring that in my evaluation, but feel I must stick to the make dance or retire
when evaluating whether CVS deserves another year.

I really want CVS back and going to the dance will, in my mind, be the qualifying factor.
Shhhhhhhhhh! Don't give the committee a bogus reason to exclude us from the tourney.
Seriously, there is NO reason for us not to be selected. Our offense relatively has not been that bad this year....last year also , for that matter. Remember just a few years back, the fiddling around with the ball on the perimeter for the whole shot clock and then a desperation heave as the clock expired....Or even worse, pass it around until we turn it over w/o getting a shot. That was when our offense was extremely frustrating. Now they are looking to get a shot. They are passing with a purpose, not just to run the clock down.
Nowadays, It seems like every women's game I watch, teams have dry spells on "O" that last 4 and 5 minutes. Even the top ranked teams. Saw it happen a few times yesterday. Our offense is fine unless we go up against teams with taller, superior interior players.
The concern I have is the length of time that it takes the players to get comfortable with the offense. It takes them about 2 years to run it without thinking. That's why we often fall apart when Jordan has to come out early due to fouls. The starters know the offense. Nobody else is really comfortable with all the different sets. Tiya, Maori, and even Zippy .....That shouldn't be. KK was so robotic for her first 3 yrs. This is the first year that she has just played instinctively in the offense. I agree, that must improve.
Get some basic sets that cater to Maori, Zippy, and Morris' strengths so they can come into the game and contribute in year 1 and 2. If Johnson ( a 30ppg scorer) comes in and can't contribute next year, I will be the first to say that something is wrong on the coaching level. Zippy has not progressed. She could use a package that features her, to boost her confidence and get her going. Morris,...same thing.

All that said, we need more skilled offensive players to be that offensive juggernaut youre looking for. With what we have now (Rella centric), the coaching staff have done well this year, whether the committee appreciates it or not. Think about freshman like A.Boston, Rickea Jackson, Owusu, Tia Cooke, Correa@ StJohns. If we stack our roster with those types along side our developing, scrappy players, we'll be in the mix for a national title.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT