ADVERTISEMENT

RU vs Michigan St. 1/19/2016 game thread

The difficult thing to understand is why veteran players allow themselves to be rushed, giving up valuable possessions. These players are good enough to take their time. They can play fast without being rushed and they can certainly manage the clock better than they did tonight.

I only watched about the last 8 minutes. Early start time. CVS was on the bench and I think RU was at the end of a 10-0 run when I started at 44-40. They scored 4 points the rest of the way. They try hard but just are not productive for significant segments. Hollivay seemed to sit until under 2 minutes remained. Michigan State just packed into a 2-3 zone and basically dared RU to shoot the three and we just passed the ball around with little progress towards a good shot. The game was winnable but we don't seem to have the seize the moment character especially on the road.

A guilty conscience needs no accuser and is the first to claim injustices is being done
tumblr_ltvvtpeAYx1qjokxe.gif

I had my say, enjoy throwing tantrums after a loss and claim you don't come on this board just to do that after a loss and seldom join in to enjoy a win.

BULLSH!T

Keep in mind CVS probably hasn't been coaching got the least few days weeks dealing with personal issues...Just something to keep in perspective

To see a team so quick and so athletic play so slow and so methodically is an absolute disgrace. It's the coach folks, 100-percent.

There was a game? Well anyway ..........good effort. They tried. Now let's give it the ole college try and win the next one.

Reactions: bac2therac
There was a game? Well anyway ..........good effort. They tried. Now let's give it the ole college try and win the next one.

yes this is what this board is for, its not about winning or discussion NCAA implications or having goals , its about supporting the team even when they underachieve and scolding those posters who only come over here after a loss

Reactions: Turtle31
To see a team so quick and so athletic play so slow and so methodically is an absolute disgrace. It's the coach folks, 100-percent.
Nebraska and MSU each had a player dominant the paint as well as having go-to players step up to the task. Quick and athletic does not mean much when your team loses track of those offensive players while on defense and your team commits too many turnovers on offense. There is a big need to stop those unnecessary bumping fouls that are nowhere near the basket/paint. Why the big rush to put the opponent in the bonus situation. Gotta clean up the fouling. Gotta hit more of the open looks and the put-backs under the rim. I have no problem with RU wbb playing methodically against the zone defenses, but they must take advantage of the scoring opportunities when they arise. The team was not that far away from winning the last two games.

yes this is what this board is for, its not about winning or discussion NCAA implications or having goals , its about supporting the team even when they underachieve and scolding those posters who only come over here after a loss
please, rock and bac and others : enough meta discussion. yes, some of us do support the team no matter what. and seriously, although I hate to drag the men's team into this discussion, couldn't you make the same argument about the thousands of folks still attending the men's games after decades of futility - that they are supporting the team no matter what? And I had season tickets for RU football through all of their lean years and continued to attend games through the Andersen and Shea years. Is that a bad thing?

I think the problem is that, for some of the "regulars" here, the piling on immediately after a loss feels a bit like pouring salt on a fresh wound. And especially when some of these posts start with "I didn't see the game, but here's what I think is wrong with this team...", that just doesn't go over very well. And to those with posts that don't say much more than - to paraphrase - "this team sucks", I do have to ask, why bother posting if that's all you have to contribute?

As the admin, I'm giving the non-regs a lot of slack - since the season started, I've only deleted or edited a handful of the nastiest comments - name-calling, etc.. So please give the "die-hards" a little slack, too.

I have been a season ticket holder for football and mens basketball for decades.I root for the teams at games but if the performance is subpar it makes no sense to stay silent on a message board.The collective comments by fans expressing dissatisfaction obviously had some impact in causing coaching changes .

The womens basketball program has been the shining light at Rutgers for a very long time but those days are slowing disappearing .Coach Stringer had better coaching staffs in the past and clearly top tier talent. Those days are now over as seen by the losses to teams that Rutgers would have easily defeated in the past.As some of us have mentioned recently the roster is on a downward talent spiral that will be readily seen in the next two seasons.Stringer must bring in some top tier recruits this spring .

please, rock and bac and others : enough meta discussion. yes, some of us do support the team no matter what. and seriously, although I hate to drag the men's team into this discussion, couldn't you make the same argument about the thousands of folks still attending the men's games after decades of futility - that they are supporting the team no matter what? And I had season tickets for RU football through all of their lean years and continued to attend games through the Andersen and Shea years. Is that a bad thing?

I think the problem is that, for some of the "regulars" here, the piling on immediately after a loss feels a bit like pouring salt on a fresh wound. And especially when some of these posts start with "I didn't see the game, but here's what I think is wrong with this team...", that just doesn't go over very well. And to those with posts that don't say much more than - to paraphrase - "this team sucks", I do have to ask, why bother posting if that's all you have to contribute?

As the admin, I'm giving the non-regs a lot of slack - since the season started, I've only deleted or edited a handful of the nastiest comments - name-calling, etc.. So please give the "die-hards" a little slack, too.

I understand where you are coming from but there are two posters in particular which actually instigate these nasty fights..one of which posts the same thing everytime baiting people. There isn't much discussion here anymore, if the so called negatoids stopped posting here that would be about 20 games of interest threads on the first page and that's it.

I would love to see this board as full of messages after a win as it seems to be after a loss.
Maybe I do go to far when I point out how some posters seem to show up the most, post the most and complain more on this board after one losing game ( any one) than their combined messages if you add them up after every RU win. That might be an exaggeration, but it is how I feel and I wouldn't be surprised if others felt that way.

Personally I can't see why some feel they need to rush on this board after a loss to make their complaints and seldom visit to share the enjoyment after a win.
I don't think anyone should be denied the right to speak their mind, but they shouldn't deny others the right to point out the posting MOs of some who post on this board.

I fully accept having what I say objected to and have it pointed out I complain far too much about those who come on this board after a loss , but seldom are seen after a win.
What they say isn't the problem for me, it's just makes me frustrated to see posters only concerned about losses and not bothering to show they care about the program after a win.
I wonder why they can take the time to post after a loss, but make very little effort to join in the conversation after a win, though won't deny they have a right to do that.

Baiting fights because of pointing out something that's being done over and over is not my intention!
But I refuse to sit in silence when I feel some posters just come on this board to complain and I will express my feelings about that habit whenever I want to.
I don't try to name names , but use the : "a guilty conscience needs no accuser " saying get responses from those who feel they are who I'm complaining about. Then wait for the complaints [winking]

Last edited:
that's great but the more you do it the more people like me will push back and the more upset you get the more these other people will come here to knot yours and the other guys panties

I also think that people are waiting for wins that count to support the program..and I am not talking about beating the sisters of the poor like Wisconsin and Illinois. Pretty tough when everytime a a NCAA school comes up on the schedule its resulting in a loss...who have they beaten? Green Bay? Minnesota? okay enough wins but that's it

Beat Ohio State at home, beat Northwestern on the road, beat Purdue on the road, beat Michigan State at home, heck beat Maryland but for a fanbase that's falling off the cliff you sure have tough standards

Well from reading this board today, looks like you put out a call for help and got more posts from those who rarely visit this board make a stop here.
Be proud you can make this board as negative as the MBB is .
But to keep this board from becoming a battleground over posting habits,
I'll stop pointing out how you like to complain after losses but are less likely to visit after a win.
Think about what type of poster does that and know the " a guilty conscience needs no accuser" works in some cases.
My conscience tells me that this board will be far worse with me speaking my mind about those who rush to complain, but don't feel the need to share enjoyment over a win.
That type of poster is what makes NJ.com so bad, just hate to see this board overrun with negativity and the positive discounted.
So you win,I'll not point out how you and some others like to post after losses , but the wins aren't something worth talking about and the only thing you will say about them aren't complementary.

End of whine, because when I whine I'm willing to admit I did it and not claim boo hoo I'm being picked on after being called out.
No more mentioning the posting habits of some posters on this board and to make sure I don't get frustrated because a few posters have a bad habit of posting after losses but scarcely visit after wins,
I'll make like them and mainly post after wins , but hold my visits after a loss to a minimum.

I read in the paper yesterday about a girl from Nutley going to Maryland. All- American player, when was the last time from Jersey we got a really good player?

Syessence Davis; Shakena Ricahrdson (for 2 years), Briona Canty. All Jersey girls and Kahleah Copper is from Philly, so almost a jersey girl.

I read in the paper yesterday about a girl from Nutley going to Maryland. All- American player, when was the last time from Jersey we got a really good player?
Briyona Canty ?
Rated the top guard in the country and No. 6 prospect overall in the ESPNU HoopGurlz 100 ... Was named a 2011 McDonald's All-American ... Competed for the East squad with fellow Scarlet Knight freshman Betnijah Laney ... Earned Parade All-American honors ... Tabbed as a 2011 WBCA All-American ... Played at Trenton Catholic, where she helped guide her team to its third NJSIAA Non-Public `B' Tournament title as a junior ... Posted 17 points, eight rebounds and five assists in the finals ... Was named the 2010 Burlington County Scholastic League Player of the Year in 2010 by The Trentonian ... Competed with USA Basketball ... Participated in the 2009 USA U16 National Team trials as well as the U17 National Team trials in 2010 ... Earned a spot with the 2010 USA Olympic Games Team which finished 6-1 and captured the bronze in Singapore ... Was among 35 of the nation's top 19-and-under athletes to receive and accept an invitation to attend the 2011 USA Women's U19 World Championship Team Trials ...
http://www.scarletknights.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/briyona_canty_786524.html

Syessence Davis
:
Rated as the 51st-best prospect in the nation by EPSNU HoopGurlz ... ranked the No. 15 combo guard ... 2011 McDonald's All-American nominee ... named the Player of the Year in the Shore following her junior and senior seasons ... led Neptune to a 30-1 finish and its first-ever NJSIAA Tournament of Champions title as a junior ... helped lead Neptune to an 89-4 record over her last three seasons
http://www.scarletknights.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/syessence_davis_786526.html

Briyona Canty ?
Rated the top guard in the country and No. 6 prospect overall in the ESPNU HoopGurlz 100 ... Was named a 2011 McDonald's All-American ... Competed for the East squad with fellow Scarlet Knight freshman Betnijah Laney ... Earned Parade All-American honors ... Tabbed as a 2011 WBCA All-American ... Played at Trenton Catholic, where she helped guide her team to its third NJSIAA Non-Public `B' Tournament title as a junior ... Posted 17 points, eight rebounds and five assists in the finals ... Was named the 2010 Burlington County Scholastic League Player of the Year in 2010 by The Trentonian ... Competed with USA Basketball ... Participated in the 2009 USA U16 National Team trials as well as the U17 National Team trials in 2010 ... Earned a spot with the 2010 USA Olympic Games Team which finished 6-1 and captured the bronze in Singapore ... Was among 35 of the nation's top 19-and-under athletes to receive and accept an invitation to attend the 2011 USA Women's U19 World Championship Team Trials ...
http://www.scarletknights.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/briyona_canty_786524.html
Canty was a elite high school player.Her career at Rutgers has been severely hampered by health issues.

Reactions: dmd78
Somogyi..... And she was a transfer
She played nowhere near the level of hype, unfortunately. I always thought her lack of height had something to do with it, along with coming from the "big fish in a small pond" high school environment she was in. A scoring machine in high school, but it just never translated well at the next level.

wow..a couple of misses on some really quality recruits. Shoot. Going back to the fab 5 year we just haven't seemed to nail that team together built on a few back to back to back stars. Players haven't lived up to hype or expectations en mass.

(and this is not a post loss moan. just a reaction to the posts direct above).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT